• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Seeing it out of stock and selling for > $60 on the Amazon Marketplace right now makes me think this game is going to be hard to find within the next few months.

Get it while it's hot!

6417964_sd.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=550

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Seems like the type of game that should have launched at $30 based on the footage I've seen

GetDigitized

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like the type of game that should have launched at $30 based on the footage I've seen
You're wrong, it's a tactical RPG + it has unique VN gameplay in one game. This combined with the amount of detailed art from Vanillaware makes it a fully fledged game. It also has a tight story (Even if it has a gimmick which is annoying at the start).

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
If this never gets ported, I've got a feeling this release will be in heightened demand five or so years from now.

This feels like bait, but I don't even really get the post. It has really solid art for a visual novel, is fully voiced and is like 30 hours long. Not sure what else it's expected to do to justify the price tag, unless VNs are the contentious issue here.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
A blast from start to finish. It became my GOTY in a year with many great game.

I really recommend it. Well worth full price.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
If this never gets ported, I've got a feeling this release will be in heightened demand five or so years from now.

This feels like bait, but I don't even really get the post. It has really solid art for a visual novel, is fully voiced and is like 30 hours long. Not sure what else it's expected to do to justify the price tag, unless VNs are the contentious issue here.
Because it doesn't it look like your average AAA game?
Maybe I'm wrong but it seems like a lot of the game is 2d paintings/artwork with text boxes(albeit voiced)? I know there's a 3d modelled tower defense portion of the game but charging $60 for it seems wild to me.

Was Streets of Rage 4 also a $60 release? I can't recall.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Maybe I'm wrong but it seems like a lot of the game is 2d paintings/artwork with text boxes(albeit voiced)? I know there's a 3d modelled tower defense portion of the game but charging $60 for it seems wild to me.

Good 2D artwork can be even more expensive than 3D... there's a reason that SNK went 3D with KOFXIV and SamSho '19.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Said on Twitter but I'll say it again here.

If you want this game physically, this is likely as cheap as it'll go barring a lucky grab of some sort. If it's anything like Odinsphere printing will wrap up and the price will raise if you want a physical copy. Odinsphere you can't buy physically for cheaper than $50+ CIB

OwensboroEsq

Oct 25, 2017
I've been seeing so much praise thrown this games way that I feel like I kind of have to try it out at this point.

1st time I'll be playing a "Visual Novel". I'm hoping the story is as good as everyone says. Need a break from open-world style after finishing both Death Stranding and Ghosts of Tsushima.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really enjoying it so far. It's a sci-fi thriller story + relatively simple SRPG combat put into one game.

I don't think I've played such an interesting game story since 999 or VLR. The way it lets you read character PoV chapters in whichever order you want (with reasonable limits) is really neat. Kind of reminds me of how when reading a novel, I sometimes get very interested in the PoV chapters of certain characters over others, and would skip the chapters of other characters until I picked up wherever I left off for that character.

I've been seeing so much praise thrown this games way that I feel like I kind of have to try it out at this point.

1st time I'll be playing a "Visual Novel". I'm hoping the story is as good as everyone says. Need a break from open-world style after finishing both Death Stranding and Ghosts of Tsushima.
It's reminiscent of a visual novel, yes, but it's also comparable to the parts of any game where you're walking around and talking to NPCs, learning more about the story that way. Sort of like an old school adventure or point-and-click game, but with more emphasis on story and less on solving object puzzles.

There is some light puzzle solving in these story sections in that sometimes a sequence will not proceed to its next bit until you figure out what the game wants you to do, which usually involves talking to the right NPC, or asking someone about the right topic. So sometimes you could get stuck for a time until you figure out what you're supposed to do, though the game does drop hints.

Note that many characters' stories are quite tropey and cliche from the start in that they heavily pay tribute to well-known sci-fi stories, but the game eventually does its own thing from those starting points.

Last edited:

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
It's been strangely available but back ordered for awhile on BestBuy. I ordered in early Dec for a 12/14 pick up and that was delayed until 12/24. Hoping it still goes through.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017

It's a niche product and has been in development for like half a decade or longer. Game value isn't just based on AAA budget. Huge AAA projects make their money back through selling so many copies of a game. But this game may not have sold even 100,000 in some scenarios but it needs to keep Vanillaware afloat.

I think those of us who like niche products made by companies understand this but I can see why others don't compared to indies.

VISION

Oct 25, 2017
Went ahead and copped it. Gets here the same day as my PS5. Hope it's as good as it's hyped up to be.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Not sure if this is a game I'll be into, but wound up buying a copy for myself and a friend anyways lol.

AwShucks

Oct 27, 2017
Grabbed it last time. Plan on playing it (hopefully through Vita remote play) after I finish Robotics;Notes on Switch.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Didn't the game cover it's costs by the Japanese sales alone? Obviously wasn't a huge runaway success where they were laughing to the bank, but I recall someone said they at least broke even.

Thugnificent

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
My personal GOTY. I got my copy on sale as well but ended up buying it again for a friend. Well worth $30. Hell, it's worth the sticker price.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Does anyone know if this is the launch/pre-order stock that comes with an art book? I ordered it a few days ago and the listing shows the artbook in the images.

capnjazz

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Byrgenwerth
I'm going to grab this for my girlfriend for Christmas to go along Mad Rat Dead and Sakuna. Ironically, it will be the cheapest of the three.

I'm totally not interested in this as well and using Christmas as an excuse.

Lucas M. Thomas

Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Force Magazine
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky
All right, all right. You all wore me down. Constantly seeing praise for this game over and over again ā€“ it can't be ignored any more. :p

DenverCo

Feb 21, 2019
Denver
I bought the game even though I don't like tower defense or visual novel games. All the good things I keep reading about this game and the price seems like a good deal. If anything I can just play it on the easy setting and enjoy the story.

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
*Is about to purchase RDR2 PC version and sees this thread*

Fine...

*cancels RDR2 on Steam and purchases 13 Sentinels Aegis Rim*

slabrock

Oct 25, 2017
I ordered it the last time it was on sale for $30 at Best Buy and it took like 2 weeks or so to get it in stock.

Tengrave

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Put it in the GOTY conversation. It's so ambitious and lands what it sets out to do. Buy it.

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
Playing it right now.

Kinda slow burn start.... BUT WHEN IT CLICKS...
Holy crap

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I bought the game even though I don't like tower defense or visual novel games. All the good things I keep reading about this game and the price seems like a good deal. If anything I can just play it on the easy setting and enjoy the story.
This is one of those games where I think it's probably totally common to do so. The story is far and away the most interesting part of it, and the combat portions feel like they don't have nearly as much attention put into it. It's not that interesting.

I'm thinking about turning the difficulty down myself.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Don't know why I did it, but I went ahead and bought it. I'm still incredulous that it'll live up to the hype I've seen around these parts, but why not.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Oh shit I forgot I ordered this a few days ago from best buy for pick up and it's still waiting there lol. But it was $30 and too good to pass up!

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
How good is the game for someone with no interest in anime and a complete hate for the typical anime art style?

I know next to nothing about the game but keep seeing it raved about here so figured I should check it out at some point. Just seeing that cover art though makes me lose some interest.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

bruh wtf šŸ¤£

great bait

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
This is one of those games where I think it's probably totally common to do so. The story is far and away the most interesting part of it, and the combat portions feel like they don't have nearly as much attention put into it. It's not that interesting.

I'm thinking about turning the difficulty down myself.
This is a good suggestion. Think I'll pick this up and do the same.