• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
Tried it with Ori and the Will of the Wisps, blurry as hell on the Sony XH90 but I think that's a known issue at this point. Very disappointing.

Hoodie Season

Jun 17, 2020
For those that replied to me...I switched my hdmi cord for the Xbox from HDMI2 to HDMI3 and so far with 120hz mode, I haven't had any black screen issues lol. Ori fired up just fine and I was able to switch back to 4k120 from 6k60. Tetris Effect, which I just fired up for the first time and looks craaaaaaazy, worked. NBA 2K21 worked. So I don't know if this is a one off or just switching ports was the trick. For now, I'm good. Oh, and I fricken love the Series X.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Only played Ori with it so far, but it felt good. Hoping Warzone on PS5 gets it soon as that's the preferred platform, but I can absolutely live happily with locked 60.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Did the VRR on the CX get patched? I remember seeing people wonder if it was a hardware issue that wouldn't be able to be fixed.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Did the VRR on the CX get patched? I remember seeing people wonder if it was a hardware issue that wouldn't be able to be fixed.

It's definitely not on C9 at least. Dark rooms blink like a Christmas tree or like a stroboscopic light. It's really annoying, but you can ignore it pretty well in a multiplayer game at least.

Gears 5 doesn't have that at all tho.

Justsomeguy

Oct 27, 2017
UK
My TV supports 1080/120. When I boot ori with the Xbox in 1080/120 mode ori says that 120hz support is not detected. I can still toggle the option in the gfx menu of the game but honestly can't see any difference.

Oct 25, 2017
I've tried a bit of Ori, Falconeer, Gears 5 Multi but what has really stood out to me in Call of Duty.
Black Ops is ok but after playing so many hours of Modern Warfare and Warzone when it got it's Series X update its so clean and smooth.

It's really made as difference to me, not only does the experience just feel so much more pleasant to me I also feel more connected to the game through the controller.
I was already in but will always pick the 120hz option now if there is one.

There's an option for 120 on Warzone? I couldn't find it when playing on the PS5.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
So is the 4K/120Hz/HDR/4:2:2 RGB issue a PS5 problem or an issue with the LG CX?

Oct 25, 2017
Nah I have a Q80T, I just pressed the confirm butting on the TV remote and the info band pops up.

Even more curious though it that I have the Series S connected through a 4K HDR switch, connected to HDMI 2, which isn't HDMI 2.1 according to the spec sheet, and it all still works.
What size is your TV? I have the Q80T also. The reason I ask is because the 49 and 50 inch models don't have hdmi 2.1 like the tv advertises unfortunately.

Last edited:

pagrab

Oct 27, 2017
I still have to figure out how to make the Xbox recognize that my TV has this ability. I have Sony Bravia and it supports 1080p 120hz. I was able to run it on PC but the XSX tells me I don't have this option.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
My buddy gave me a PS4 copy of Rainbow Six Siege the other day so I'm bout to try it out

Aswitch

"This guy are sick"
Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Cold War runs like a champ on the PS5 and C9. The only 120 game I've played with so far. It's pretty noticeable from someone whose just now dipping into 120fps games. Going to try Gears and MW today.

Oct 7, 2018
USA
I could only get 120hz to show as enabled in the Cold War menu when I had both 120hz and 4k enabled in the series x settings.

It wouldn't turn on in the Cold War menu when I first tried it with 120hz and 1440p as the settings on the series x,only when I switched on 4k instead of 1440p did it show as on.

Also had to manually quit the game and restart it to reflect the changes made in console video settings. Samsung Q90T owner as well,everything works flawlessly!

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019
It's definitely not on C9 at least. Dark rooms blink like a Christmas tree or like a stroboscopic light. It's really annoying, but you can ignore it pretty well in a multiplayer game at least.

Gears 5 doesn't have that at all tho.

Still? Even with the latest firmware?

EinBear

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a bit disappointed to be honest.

I thought I was quite sensitive to framerates, as I've always felt the jump between 30fps and 60fps was an absolute night and day, transformative difference.

Playing Gears 5 multiplayer in 120fps though... I honestly couldn't tell the difference. Had to double check the feature was even turned on (it was!).

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
It looks just as amazing as I hoped, with this being my first time gaming at 4k/120. However I really don't know if I can tell the difference between 60/120 without them being side by side.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017

I thought I was quite sensitive to framerates, as I've always felt the jump between 30fps and 60fps was an absolute night and day, transformative difference.

Playing Gears 5 multiplayer in 120fps though... I honestly couldn't tell the difference. Had to double check the feature was even turned on (it was!).
Have you happened to go from playing a 60fps Gears mode right into MP? Did so the other day with a friend and the difference was super noticeable when making that switch. Once you're "in it" it kind of fades into the background though and instead just feels super responsive.

Is MW 120hz in Multiplayer too, not just Warzone?

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
Feels great in Gears 5

Black Ops Cold War refuses to run at 120fps on my XSX despite doing everything right. console is set to 1440/120 and Gears 5 works so it's clearly a CoD issue

Raindammit

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Have played Dirt 5 at 120Hz on my Sony X900H.

The biggest improvement is input lag, which halves in 120Hz mode. Brings it down to about 6ms on the Sony.

For a driving game, 120Hz is not as noticeable as some other games, as you are generally in a static position behind the car - so I'm not seeing a massive improvement in that regard over 60Hz.

Haven't tested any other 120Hz compatible games yet.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
I could only get 120hz to show as enabled in the Cold War menu when I had both 120hz and 4k enabled in the series x settings.

It wouldn't turn on in the Cold War menu when I first tried it with 120hz and 1440p as the settings on the series x,only when I switched on 4k instead of 1440p did it show as on.

Also had to manually quit the game and restart it to reflect the changes made in console video settings. Samsung Q90T owner as well,everything works flawlessly!
oh goddamnit. so because Treyarch or Raven couldn't be assed to consider not all TVs support 4K/120, I'm shit out of luck? that sucks. I don't even think the game runs at 4K/120, doesn't it run at 1440/120?

Oct 7, 2018
USA
oh goddamnit. so because Treyarch or Raven couldn't be assed to consider not all TVs support 4K/120, I'm shit out of luck? that sucks. I don't even think the game runs at 4K/120, doesn't it run at 1440/120?

This is what I thought which is why I started it out on 1440P but for some reason it wouldn't show as enabled until I went and changed it to 4k maybe it's because my TV is 4k I'm just not sure

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Ori looks utterly jaw dropping. The beauty of 120hz for 2D platformers is it gets rid of (the majority of) the motion blur so you get such pristine almost CRT-like motion (on OLED) which is sorely needed for the genre. So even when you're running around the art is just beautifully preserved and clear. It also feels way more responsive to boot. Really hope it becomes the norm for platformers - looking forward to the Monster Boy 120hz patch too.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't have a 120hz TV, but as someone who has been singing the praises of high refresh monitors for a couple years now it's really cool to read these positive impressions. Hope most/all multiplayer shooters support it going forward.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
C9 XSX

Ori is revelatory
Warzone feels and looks phenomenal
I tried CrossCode because thats 120 for some reason lol, no interest in playing it, but damn smooth.

I tried Gears but I didn't immediately get that wow factor like with the other 3.

THREE DAYS AWAY FROM MCC

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Gears 5 Horde mode was astonishingly responsive for me, but that's the only thing I've tried so far. I'd love it to bits if they did a next gen patch for Tony Hawk 1+2 to support 120Hz. That game would feel even more incredible if it could halve the input response.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
I have only played Dirt 5 at 120hz, and that didn't do much for me. But I knew that going in, since I had already played racing games at 144hz on PC, and those were not a drastic difference. I'm sure if I played something like Cold War I see a big difference though.

darkNemisiScloud

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 27, 2017
I have it set for my e9 and series z and was wondering ori is working at 120fps, but in gears 5 in options I only see 60fps, is the game bugged at the moment for some people?

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Gears 5, Ori and The Touryst are great. Motion clarity is greatly enhanced. It feels like my OLED is finally getting the kind of input it was made for.
Warzone is nice too but the "world graphics" feel somewhat wobbly. Are they using motion interpolation or something? It's especially noticeable in the training missions when you strafe past stuff. The view model (gun etc) actually seems smooth though. It is kind of there too in 60fps mode but I guess less noticeable.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
4K/120 Ori is phenomenal. Silky-buttery smooth, snappy, and so much more of its lush beauty comes through as you're moving through levels.

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020

Imo, a 60 -> 120+ jump is not as noticeable as a 30 -> 60 jump.
You still get a boost in visual clarity, though. You just see and notice more on higher frame rates. Very important for fast paced games, imo.

Also, once you get used to 120 fps, try going back to 60 fps. 60 will look like a laggy mess.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
How do you set the PS5 to 120? In the system menu for display, it just shows 4k/60, but no option to set it to 120. Any help would be appreaciated.

Loving the 120 on the Series X though. Stuff is just incredible. Dirt 5 is good, but I think the visual hit is a little too much to play it in that mode. Ori and Gears 5 holy hell is it smooth. Have not tried any other games at 120, just don't have time with work a Series X and a PS5.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cold War in 120hz and Atmos surround has been incredible. I'm getting my arse kicked because I don't play CoD, but I'm doing it with a smile on my face because the experience is amazing.

Not got to Gears yet, but Ori is just so lovely and smooth... And don't sleep on The Touryst for anyone with Gamepass!

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I don't play many COD games....but is the 120 in the new COD game? Is it campaign and MP that is 120? Is Cold War and Warzone the same thing and both at 120?

darthkarki

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
Imo, a 60 -> 120+ jump is not as noticeable as a 30 -> 60 jump.
You still get a boost in visual clarity, though. You just see and notice more on higher frame rates. Very important for fast paced games, imo.

Also, once you get used to 120 fps, try going back to 60 fps. 60 will look like a laggy mess.

I haven't actually tried it on the new consoles yet (PS5 is en route), I've only tried it out a bit on my PC. I didn't notice much of a difference either, but I bet you're right that if I got used to it, I'd notice going back to 60fps more.

But I do think people hype up >60fps frame rates perhaps a bit too much. I've actually heard people say that it's more noticeable than the jump from 30 to 60, when, from the frame time, 60fps (16.6ms) to 120fps (8.3ms) is exactly half the jump from 30fps (33.3ms) to 60fps.

I found this graph from a Digital Foundry video on a laptop with a 300Hz screen very illuminating:

2020-08-05-14-19-30-Razer-Blade-15-Advanced-300-Hz-Gaming-On-A-Laptop-How-Does-It-Play-Sponsored.jpg

The jump from 60fps to one thousand fps is less than the jump from 30 to 60. From 30 to 60 you reduce the frame time from 33.3ms to 16.6ms, a 16.6ms improvement. Going from 60 to 1000 you reduce the frame time from 16.6ms to 1ms, a 15.6ms improvement.

Now obviously I think 1000Hz would be a massive improvement, but it's interesting that it's still less of an improvement.

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019
Yes, I would be surprised if any patch can do something about it.
It's said to be an issue LG isn't sure can be fixed through firmware updates.

So that's the near-black gamma shift issue that Vincent Teoh mentioned in a video?

I've been hearing conflicting reports of users of both the C9 and the CX about flickering/raised blacks. Not sure if some people really aren't seeing any visual artifacts or just aren't sensitive to them.

I have a C9 (still on 04.70.12), but no HDMI 2.1 sources to test, for now. Should be getting a 3080 and a PS5 soon, hopefully, but on my 2080 Ti, in 4K at 60Hz with G-Sync on, I have no issues at all.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Gears 5, Ori and The Touryst are great. Motion clarity is greatly enhanced. It feels like my OLED is finally getting the kind of input it was made for.
Warzone is nice too but the "world graphics" feel somewhat wobbly. Are they using motion interpolation or something? It's especially noticeable in the training missions when you strafe past stuff. The view model (gun etc) actually seems smooth though. It is kind of there too in 60fps mode but I guess less noticeable.
Deactivate motion blur in Cold War.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Played COD Cold war and it felt great! Feels like im gaming on PC again on my C9. Stuff like this makes me want to jump back to console gaming again.

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
I played some War Zone today on my Series X connected to an E9, Im a believer. Generally COD MW @ 120Hz with the hi res textures has been transformative.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I can ask this here: My Viewsonic XG2401 wont let me choose 120 FPS. However, I can get 144 FPS on my PC games.

Im using a monitor and running HDMI through it. Apparently my HDMI is only 1.4 and not 2.1? So the only way to get 120 FPS is through the DP Port.

Is there a way to run 2 DP Ports for my PC AND PS5? My Viewsonic only has 2 HDMI ports and a DP Port