• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
I've tried a bit of Ori, Falconeer, Gears 5 Multi but what has really stood out to me in Call of Duty.
Black Ops is ok but after playing so many hours of Modern Warfare and Warzone when it got it's Series X update its so clean and smooth.

It's really made as difference to me, not only does the experience just feel so much more pleasant to me I also feel more connected to the game through the controller.
I was already in but will always pick the 120hz option now if there is one.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
only played Ori and I'm not sure I can tell that much of a difference. Likely to stick with 6k mode. Looking forward to trying Dirt 5 next week on PS5.

It seems like perhaps (and I realise this is reductive) it will be of more benefit to rapid changes of direction - FPS is a great example of that. For Ori although you jump around, your actual change of screen direction is damped so perhaps its not as obvious. Likewise I'm wondering if Dirt 5 will be that noticable as you'll be mostly moving forward with relatively slow direction changes

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
The Falconeer and MW are the 2 where I really noticed it.

Dec 16, 2017
It's not featured on what I'm playing. I also surprised myself and left Spider-Man on fidelity mode so I'm not the best person to ask.

Deleted member 75819

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 22, 2020
Responsiveness is noticeably better. Motion fluidity is better but only noticeable at higher motion. I love it. Really wish Warzone didn't hitch though.

DjRalford

Dec 14, 2017
I was surprised that the kids Series S had a 4K 120hz mode, and that it actually works on games like the touryst.

Oct 27, 2017
Very happy with my E9 Oled TV. VRR is a godsend (seeing the reports about screen tearing on Valhalla) and Ori and The Will of Wisps at 4k 120fps is awsome. Very happy.

ActiveRush

Oct 27, 2017
Transformative. Playing Warzone and Cold War is so smooth and fluid. I can't believe I missed it all of these years. Really feels like a next gen experience.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a setting I need to check in COD WZ for it to work? My tv can do 1080p 120fps and works well in gears MP, but I would like to try it in warzone.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Amazing so far.

It's really hard for me to feel it in 2D games to be honest, like Ori or The Touryst, but it feels f'n incredible in 3D games like Gears 5 or COD Warzone.
With VRR everything runs perfect and I couldn't be happier. This is next gen.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
I've played Grid 5 once at 120fps. Didn't do much for me. I think I'm just getting old.

Perhaps it's better for FPS games.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I tried 120fps in ori and couldn't notice that much difference :(

But I just tried warzone and could see a big difference. Its hard to differentiate from the better textures and draw distance but it certainly felt smoother too. Was easier to see people and spot movement.

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
I was really disappointed by it. I feel like either it was overhyped or my eyes are bad. I have tried Dirt 5, Gears 5 and Ori and although I can see the smoothness in Gears 5, I cannot tell the difference in the other games and it also was not a big deal in Gears 5.

while playing Spiderman jumping from 30 to 60 is night and day, but I feel the jump from 60 to 120 is so small. I do understand it probably does lots for input latency and so competitive players it's probably night and day, just to my untrained eyes I would rather a 4K 60 mode with Bells and whistles instead

Fragnarplays

Nov 12, 2020
I've had a few issues, mostly with choppy visuals making me feel quite nauseous.

I'm using a Samsung Q90R, which isn't officially HDMI 2.1 compliant, with the latest update. It seems to work better now that I've put my TV in PC mode though. Running it at 4k 120Hz.

Heidern

Oct 30, 2017
Connecticut
I can easily feel the difference between 30 and 60, but when I tried Cold War in 120, I couldn't feel much difference from 60. More, I noticed the colors being less impressive in the 4k/120 mode than they are in the "normal" 4k/60 mode. I turned it off after a few matches. (PS5)

Mesharey

Dec 7, 2017
Kuwait
Ori - I didn't notice the difference.
Gears 5 - I noticed the difference but it's not much.

I don't like to play 30 fps gams and directly switch to 60 fps, but from 60 to 120? It's not significant at all.

So, I think 120 fps is overrated for single player games, lol.

Hoodie Season

Jun 17, 2020
When my Series X is set to 120hz, all I get is a black screen on my CX. The UI shows up fine. But once I try to get into a game, I either get a complete black screen with the HDR and Instant Game Response messages continually popping up, or I will get some picture but still just constant black flashes. Is it just my CX, or are others experiencing the same thing? I've posted this before and have gotten recommendations, but it seems that no matter what when I set the Xbox to 120hz something is whack. Everything works fine if it's in 60hz mode though.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I noticed the difference immediately. I'm very happy I upgraded just a few weeks ago.

M. Wallace

Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Dunno yet. I can't get the 120 option in Cold War to work, it's always greyed out. I have everything changed on the Xbox (set to 120/1440) with 4K unchecked. In the game I have RT turned off but 120 is always greyed out.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Dunno yet. I can't get the 120 option in Cold War to work, it's always greyed out. I have everything changed on the Xbox (set to 120/1440) with 4K unchecked. In the game I have RT turned off but 120 is always greyed out.

Edit:. Thought you mean Warzone.

People keep mentioning warzone, but it doesn't have 120fps support? Yeah you can run it at 120hz via the XSX settings, but the game is still at 60. Whereas Cold War actually runs at 120fps.

Am I missing something here

It has no option for it but it does run in 120 out of the box if you have it activated on your console setting.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
When my Series X is set to 120hz, all I get is a black screen on my CX. The UI shows up fine. But once I try to get into a game, I either get a complete black screen with the HDR and Instant Game Response messages continually popping up, or I will get some picture but still just constant black flashes. Is it just my CX, or are others experiencing the same thing? I've posted this before and have gotten recommendations, but it seems that no matter what when I set the Xbox to 120hz something is whack. Everything works fine if it's in 60hz mode though.

Update your TV, C9 and CX got fresh firmwares for 120 on NG consoles just a few days ago.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017

Are you using and HDMI 2.1 reciever? They are all bugged and won't pass 120hz 4k

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
Edit:. Thought you mean Warzone.

It has no option for it but it does run in 120 out of the box if you have it activated on your console setting.

The system being set at 120hz (XSX here) vs actually being at 120fps in game are two different things. I haven't seen anywhere where Warzone has 120fps support, so I'm a bit confused by those bri ging it up in this thread. Gears 5 MP, Cold War, Ori 2 are actually 120fps titles.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
The system being set at 120hz (XSX here) vs actually being at 120fps in game are two different things. I haven't seen anywhere where Warzone has 120fps support, so I'm a bit confused by those bri ging it up in this thread. Gears 5 MP, Cold War, Ori 2 are actually 120fps titles.

www.eurogamer.net

Infinity Ward quietly adds 120fps to Call of Duty: Warzone on Xbox Series X - but not PS5

Infinity Ward has added 120fps support to Call of Duty: Warzone on Xbox Series X.The support, which was not mentioned i…

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I was surprised that the kids Series S had a 4K 120hz mode, and that it actually works on games like the touryst.
How did you enable this on the game ? Is it on by default after setting the system to 120hz ? Because I cant seem to tell....unless that mode needs to be selected in game ?

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Other people who I've spoken to with black screens in HDR have simply had to hard reboot their Xbox (hold the power button until the machine switches off) then turn on again (you'll get the full boot up sequence)

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany

It is a 120fps title and definitely runs in 120fps. I'm playing it for the last few hours.

You haven't seen it anywhere? How about you look a little bit closer next time. :P

www.resetera.com

Infinity Ward quietly adds 120fps to CoD: Warzone on Xbox Series X - but not PS5 News

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-11-12-infinity-ward-adds-120fps-to-call-of-duty-warzone-on-xbox-series-x-doesnt-tell-anyone Digital Foundry's initial testing confirms Warzone now targets 120fps on Xbox Series X, but mostly hits between 100 and 120fps. Here's an Xbox Series X...

Edit:

Well, I'm a bit too late for that answer. :D

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
I was just thinking about making this thread!

It's amazing! Sort of hard to describe the difference because it isn't as pronounced as 30 v 60, but it's incredible how smooth and clean the image is. Felt it the most when going from Gears 5 campaign to MP, and the smoothness of MP was unreal. Combine that with how responsive the controller feels (XSX) and I'm really pretty impressed.

I will probably continue to prefer it for MP games, but in a game like Ori or even Dirt I'd probably just settle for 60.

DjRalford

Dec 14, 2017
Is yours an lg oled ? If so how is that information brought up? Thanks in advance

Nah I have a Q80T, I just pressed the confirm butting on the TV remote and the info band pops up.

Even more curious though it that I have the Series S connected through a 4K HDR switch, connected to HDMI 2, which isn't HDMI 2.1 according to the spec sheet, and it all still works.

Deleted member 75819

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 22, 2020
I'm really envious of those of you running MW at 120hz without problems... I'd really like ideas on how to fix this :(

DarkVaber32

Nov 15, 2018
Did anyone try out 120fps@1080p yet on the PS5, on a HDMI 2.0 tv? I have a LG C8 and hope that I also get to experience 120fps, but not sure if the consoles support that output.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's great but I don't see much different with 60. Maybe side to side but in gameplay ... not really

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I have the TCL 6 Series (2020), which has 120hz capabilities, but can't drive 4K/120... which would be fine, except Devil May Cry V Special Edition won't let me turn on the 120FPS option even if I set my system's output to 1080p. Kiiiind of annoying. Somewhat disappointing.

I just hope other games will let me do 1080/120. I'd say "or 1440/120" but PS5 doesn't have that option from what I've read. Not right now, anyways.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Absolutely loving it so far!

Gears 5 and Cold War feel incredible.

So happy to see 120FPS on a console with a growing list of games.

EmzHlqWXYAUCOP1