• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rick44-4

Oct 8, 2020
User Warned: Platform Warring
interesting. my 399 DE PS5 seems to be price/performance insane deal atm. My kids love this game and we play weekly amongst a variety of platforms. good time.
Yeah in terms of hardware that is easily the best deal, better than the series s.

Denamitea

Nov 1, 2017
Doooooope. I was hoping they'd do this. Really excited to play some stuff at 120 FPS finally.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
XSS capability continues to impress, expecting better utilisation by Devs going into 2021. DF were even surprised at how Cyberpunk runs on this little box.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hot on the heels of CDPR's latest game I think it underlines recent turnouts. This is definitely a next gen machine and it is definitely more capable than One X (while acknowledging it isn't a 4K device).
Yup, details only on Series X are present on Series S. Not One X. If you watch DFs Ori video, they say decisively Series S is without a doubt potent next gen piece of kit .

Really excited to see how it's going to be pushed.

Rick44-4

Oct 8, 2020
Hot on the heels of CDPR's latest game I think it underlines recent turnouts. This is definitely a next gen machine and it is definitely more capable than One X (while acknowledging it isn't a 4K device).
Well being more capable than one x wasn't going to be the barometer, if it wasn't that would be a substantial problem.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
Hold on. So for people with non 120fps TVs, did we just yet a downgrade in resolution with no benefit?

RadioJoNES

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just downloaded this game again since I've been wanting to try a 120fps game on my AOC 27G2 monitor and see if it was compatible. It works well and is very smooth!

Tennis

Oct 27, 2017

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I knew this update had to be in the works for consoles, just due to 120Hz being so easy to hit on PC.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I think that comes with the UE5 update probably like in a year or something, right?

UE5 Lumen seems to be using another performance savior method of handling GI and shadows rather than brute forced RT. We don't know how they gonna handle refecltions and otehr features and if they gonna mix hybrid RT with Lumen. right now UE4 RT is just brute forcing every feature which is costly in perfomance so that is why I think they didn't do it on consoles.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Update. It seems that Fornite is forcing my TV to run at 1080p regardless of whether I chose 120fps mode or not. My TV (Samsung Q9FN) can do 1440p at up to 120fps , but as 1440p is not a PS5 supported resolution, it's dropping to 1080. Either way, looks awful and it seems there is no way for me to go back to the 4k 60fps mode, which is some bullshit.

Tried togging the performance / resolution settings in the PS5 menu, but it doesn't change anything

Yep exactly the same.

Super annoying because I don't think 120fps is actually that important for Fortnite. If anything 4k is more important since distant detail is more important in BR.

There's no way for me to go back to 4k even if I turn off the 120fps toggle. I don't think that's due to PS5 not supporting 1440p.

They need to fix this because it just looks awful and smeary. I wish I could undo the update.

Civilstrife

Oct 27, 2017
No, the game is still 4k in 60fps mode. The 120fps mode is unselected by default.
Yep exactly the same.

Super annoying because I don't think 120fps is actually that important for Fortnite. If anything 4k is more important since distant detail is more important in BR.

There's no way for me to go back to 4k even if I turn off the 120fps toggle. I don't think that's due to PS5 not supporting 1440p.

They need to fix this because it just looks awful and smeary. I wish I could undo the update.

Same. It's absolutely awful.

Basically, if your TV can do 120hz, but not at 4K, then Fortnite forces you to play at reduced resolution regardless of what option you choose.

It's probably a bug. What I don't understand is why the forced 1080p looks so terrible. Way worse than standard 1080p.
I can confirm that this isn't just Fortnite. The same thing happens in Destiny 2 120hz mode.

It must be a system-wide fault.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Update. It seems that Fornite is forcing my TV to run at 1080p regardless of whether I chose 120fps mode or not. My TV (Samsung Q9FN) can do 1440p at up to 120fps , but as 1440p is not a PS5 supported resolution, it's dropping to 1080. Either way, looks awful and it seems there is no way for me to go back to the 4k 60fps mode, which is some bullshit.

Tried togging the performance / resolution settings in the PS5 menu, but it doesn't change anything

Yep exactly the same.

Instead of changing the Performance/Resolution toggle... have yall tried to force 4K? (Picture output settings and instead of Auto, select 4K?)

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018

Basically, if your TV can do 120hz, but not at 4K, then Fortnite forces you to play at reduced resolution regardless of what option you choose.

It's probably a bug. What I don't understand is why the forced 1080p looks so terrible. Way worse than standard 1080p.
I can confirm that this isn't just Fortnite. The same thing happens in Destiny 2 120hz mode.

Hopefully something they're aware of. I can't remember if this is how the game always looked at 1080p but yeah, it's bad.

I'm not a resolution snob or anything but this is the first time I've seen such a hugely noticeable difference in image quality when dropping down from 4k. It was the first thing I noticed even just loading into the menu.

I haven't had this issue in Destiny 2. The game stays at 4k when I want it to, and the difference in image quality in 1080p vs 4k certainly isn't as noticeable to me in that game.

Instead of changing the Performance/Resolution toggle... have yall tried to force 4K? (Picture output settings and instead of Auto, select 4K?)

Yep that was the first thing I tried. Didn't work, still stuck at 1080p on Fortnite.

Civilstrife

Oct 27, 2017
Yep exactly the same.

This is what I was talking about earlier. There is something wrong with the 1080p image. It's so bad that initially I thought it was sub-720p.

UPDATE: I was able to fix the problem by setting Video Transfer Rate in the console settings to -2. It now displays at what looks like proper 1080p. Fortnite still forces this mode, which is definitely a bug, but at least it doesn't look so awful now.
UPDATE 2: Setting your console manually to 1080p also works. It's just the automatic resolution switching that seems to be bugged.

Last edited:

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
UPDATE: I was able to fix the problem by setting Video Transfer Rate in the console settings to -2. It now displays at what looks like proper 1080p. Fortnite still forces this mode, which is definitely a bug, but at least it doesn't look so awful now.

Huh thanks. Super weird.

What else will changing "transfer rate" affect? I don't want it to knock down the quality of other games lol.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
If you set the PS5's max resolution to 1080p, would you get a supersampled 1080p 120fps that would work on a HDMI 2.0 TV that can do 120hz at 1080p?

Broadbandit

Oct 29, 2017

Destiny 2 120hz works great and honestly doesn't look much worse on my lg cx. O kinds hope bungie allows a 120hz mode in general for everything and not just crucible.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
This plays really well at 120hz, including on the Series S.

I officially can't tell the difference between 60fps and 120fps.

It feels different while playing it for me, but admittedly, Fortnite seems less obvious from a glance than something like Gears 5, Falconeer, or Halo. I haven't really worked out why that is.

Civilstrife

Oct 27, 2017
Destiny 2 120hz works great and honestly doesn't look much worse on my lg cx. O kinds hope bungie allows a 120hz mode in general for everything and not just crucible.
Your CX has HDMI 2.1, so the PS4 is still giving it a 4K signal at 120hz even if the game is not rendering at 4K. This issue is affecting people with HDMI 2.0 TVs that have 120hz modes, usually at 1080p or 1440p. When you let the game switch your resolution automatically, it renders at what looks like sub 720p with weird color highlights. I can confirm that Destiny 2 has the same issue, so it seems to be system-wide.
If you set your console manually to output at 1080p, it fixes that problem.

This is in addition to the bug that Fortnite will now force you to play at 1080p if you have an HDMI 2.0 120hz display, even if you turn 120hz mode off.

Last edited:

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018

Good news everyone. They're aware of the problem and have apparently fixed it for their next update. I hope they're still able to fix the look in 1080p though since I would like to try a clearer looking 120fps mode.

At times like this I really do appreciate how on the ball Epic generally is with updates lol

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this usually happens when a streamer only has one pc and not an entirely separate gaming pc.
All the big streamers use lowest possible settings at 1080p for 2 reasons:
  1. Visual clarity - easier to spot opponents without shadows, real-time lighting, etc.
  2. Performance - they want to max out their 240/360 Hz refresh 100% of the time, ideally.
This is for every competitive game. It has nothing to do with their machines not being strong enough.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

So wait. The patch removed the 4k 60 option?

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
All the big streamers use lowest possible settings at 1080p for 2 reasons:
  1. Visual clarity - easier to make out opponents without shadows, real time lighting, etc.
  2. Performance - they want to max out their 240/360 Hz refresh 100% of the time, ideally.
This is for every game. It has nothing to do with their machines not being strong enough.
lol so confident yet still inaccurate. Streamers do use more than one pc for streaming to reduce load in their gaming pc, idk, if you don't believe me watch more streamers?

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol so confident yet still inaccurate. Streamers do use more than one pc for streaming to reduce load in their gaming pc, idk, if you don't believe me watch more streamers?
Yes, and all those streamers still run at lowest possible settings for the reasons I mentioned. Streamers don't turn down settings because they only have one PC. They turn down settings because it makes them more competitive. This is a well-known practice, so it would seem that you're the one who needs to watch more streamers.

Ninja is still running low spec Fortnite despite having a top of the line "streaming PC" in addition to the top of the line PC he's playing on.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
It should have been pitched as a 1080p box to begin with IMO. It's doing 1080p120 on a good number of games. Xbox One X could never.

It's pitched at its theoretical maximums. Xbox Series X is advertised as a 4K 120FPS a console, but you're not going to be getting anything close to that with the majority of titles - but it's technically capable of it.

Oct 27, 2017
UE5 Lumen seems to be using another performance savior method of handling GI and shadows rather than brute forced RT. We don't know how they gonna handle refecltions and otehr features and if they gonna mix hybrid RT with Lumen. right now UE4 RT is just brute forcing every feature which is costly in perfomance so that is why I think they didn't do it on consoles.

It basically achieves the same effect but uses multiple frames to get there rather than recalculating the rays in every frame. I feel like "RT" is going to be like the new anti-aliasing where there's a million ways to do it and the current method that Nvidia popularized is sort of like the old-fashioned supersampling method of AA that was really inefficient.

But yeah, I'm not sure how they'll get reflections to work any more efficiently than the methods we have today. That's a tricky one.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017

Same here. garbage update

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Downloaded the game just because I was curious about 120fps. Played it on my X900H which supports 4k@120Hz and indeed, for the first time ever, my PS5 flashed for a second and switched to 2160p@120Hz.

Game feels very smooth, though the hit in image quality is noticeable. Not just resolution; draw distances, pop in, foliage, maybe even texture resolution are noticeably reduced. Switching back and forth between 60 and 120fps is a very dramatic difference in terms of IQ. 60fps actually feels choppy for a second when going back and that's a sentence I'd never thought I'd write.

The game is locked at 120fps, BTW. You can actually enable an fps counter and I didn't see it drop once.

Will 120 fps help responsiveness even if your tv doesn't have 120 fps?

I don't think you'll get the toggle to enable 120fps unless the game detects a 120Hz display, at least on PS5. (I could be wrong).

Last edited:

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I don't feel making a thread for this but this update gonna bring haptic feedback to PS5, after the trigger feddback we got initially:

Agian I hope they improve their trigger feddback for the game and make it as subtle as COD BO cus the trigger feedback in Fortnite is generic and very repetitive and similar for eevry weapon.

bubblegumcorp

Jul 29, 2020
I don't feel making a thread for this but this update gonna bring haptic feedback to PS5, after the trigger feddback we got initially:

Agian I hope they improve their trigger feddback for the game and make it as subtle as COD BO cus the trigger feedback in Fortnite is generic and very repetitive and similar for eevry weapon.

This is just a toggle for adaptive triggers. You can now disable them and adjust their strength in game. There are no new haptics (vibrations).