• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Im complete opposite of OP. 10 years in and Netflix has become my only source of streaming entertainment. They have so much content in every category and genre/ Only thing missing is live content like sports.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Wrong, all the stupid crime shows, b level documentaries, and most of the barrage of netflix originals is indeed filler

And when they moneyhat big directors to make movies for them it just doesnt feel the same. It feels like content, not cinema
is there anything you can describe without resorting to console warrior phrasing

ChanceOwen

Oct 25, 2017
I will never not be trying to catch up on shows and movies I've been trying to get through. There is so much value in an ongoing Netflix subscription and I am happy to monetarily support a service that has been giving me so much content. There are so many other areas in life to penny pinch than a service giving so much content.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I cancelled my Netflix subscription as of December of 2019. Binged some lingering movies and TV shows I've been meaning to watch (The Irishman, Neon Genesis Evangelion, and a few others), and I'm done.

It dawned on me that there are large stretches of time where I don't even log in to Netflix via its many different apps spread across several different platforms. It's not a lack of accessibility, it's just that I never bothered.

Then I did the math. You can write off $12.99/month as a minor expense, but it adds up over time, and especially over years, and especially over decades.

To say I'm disappointed with their original content would be an understatement. Some shows are alright, but there's this nagging lack of quality that bugs me. It's very obvious to me that some of these "originals" are slapped together as cheaply as possible—this is especially evident in their Arrested Development revival, which, in my opinion, completely ruined the show for me.

Some other shows drag on way longer than they should (Glow, Orange Is the New Black), while others leave a very bad taste in my mouth (did we really need El Camino?).

Please keep in mind, these are just my opinions. After 14 some odd years, I realized I'm ready to say goodbye to Netflix. How about you? Have you recently cancelled a subscription that you deem unnecessary?

We are at the point where the only reason we keep Netflix is because the wife watches the office on it in the background while she knits.

Don't get me wrong, we would likely sub 2-3 months out of the year because there is a ton of stuff to watch on there, but since it's all dumped at once, I can wait 3-4 months and then sub again.

In regards to other services?

Hulu: We were pretty close to cancelling Hulu, but I'm discovering they actually have a ton of tv series (currently binging the profit and master chef) and I just found out they have output deals from both Annapurna and Neon (just watched booksmart and if Beale Street could talk). The wife got into Brooklyn 99 so there is that. so we are locked in there for awhile.

Disney Plus: we're locked in for 3 years around $4 a month. My nine year old is currently watching the clone wars with me and he loves those ren and stimpy Mickey Mouse shows and duck tales. The 4 yo loves pj masks, doc mcstuffins and the junior princess show along with frozen/Moana etc. the wife loves Jeff gold bloom. We all enjoy the mcu/Star Wars Movies, And I enjoy the sports movies. So even if we weren't locked in, the 6.99 price point and how often we use it, make it more than worthwhile. I can see some not canceling due to how cheap it is.

HBO: game of thrones is over.. but man still so much good content. Succession, his dark materials, euphoria. We get this for free through my At&T service. Once it becomes HBO Max, even more content!

Prime: another service that we use frequently and we will keep since it's just a part of the overall prime membership. But we love undone, the boys and carnival row.

Apple plus: we just got a one year sub.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I've (so far) always found something to watch on Netflix and Hulu. Hulu gets live shows I want to watch fairly often (Good Place, Grey's, HTGAWM, etc.), Netflix gets CW shows after their seasons are over along with a pretty steady stream of original stuff that I probably like at least 25% of.

Amazon Prime I wish I could cut the streaming from my membership to save some money. I love free shipping, but I've only watched one show on it in the last year (The Boys). It has some good shows, but for me it's not worth having year round.

Everything else I just rotate as shows I want to watch come and go.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rotate the streams you're spending money on every month or two, or find a friend to share profiles with. Between my friend and I we share Netflix, HBO Go and Disney Plus.

As I'm typing this, I'm wondering if I can share just my Amazon Prime TV digital account.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You're obviously right to do it if you're not watching enough of it to justify the cost. But Netflix just had its biggest year in movies and had amazing shows as well. This year solidified my choice to subscribe and I've experienced HBO and Amazon but they fall behind (even though HBO also had an amazing year)

Fleet of Foot

Oct 27, 2017
Springboro, OH
My Netflix plan, with "Ultra HD" is $17.11 a month. That's over $200 a year. That's not trivial. I just cancelled it, at least for now. Thanks for making me take a look OP.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
GLOW way longer than it should? It's only getting four seasons and there was so much left it could've covered had they followed the actual history/timeline...

That said, I stopped consistently subbing to Netflix over a year ago. Just not worth it or really any streaming service until there's a good amount of stuff built up to watch that you're interested in.

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Netflix has replaced basic cable for stuff my mom can watch when she's bored or doing other stuff. I just saved a fortune getting rid of cable and rolling with OTA antenna and Netflix (and I have Prime so I'll watch stuff there occasionally.)

I'm usually a fan of starting and stopping subscriptions, and am about to start HBO back up. But Netflix is one that just stays subscribed. There are a ton of older shows that can go on and just be binged.

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
The family uses Netflix so it is not going anywhere.

For me personally, Spotify is something I can't do without and I'm actually using it to play music straight to my receiver via Spotify as I type this lol

It's pretty awesome.

Mar 29, 2018
The future (is now!) is rotating subscriptions while you wait for previous ones to build up a month's worth of content you want to watch.

Rotating between VRV, netflix, hulu, disney+, and adding CBS later this year with Picard/Discovery. Keeping curiosity stream because it's like $3 and good to toss on documentaries for background sound and for the kids.

The only consistent service I have is Youtube premium. Ad free viewing on all devices and access to youtube/play music is very nice.
I don't do this, but have toyed with the idea and it's clearly the best way.

Swig

Oct 28, 2017
like others have said, the key is to rotate subs

although I have to give it to HBO, they always seem to have some really good show playing year round

I got HBO Now a few years ago for Game Of Thrones.. still have it because they keep putting out new shows that I like to watch, and not just the big name shows.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Ill always keep Netflix , well especially since I just leech of it :p , but seriously is cable still a thing? I haven't used cable in 6 years.

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, if I wasn't already using my sister's account, I would've stopped paying a long ass time ago. And I sure as shit would've stopped paying when The OA got cancelled. It's clear to me Netflix is all about quantity and not quality. But since I'm not paying, lol.

Azzazel

Oct 25, 2017
Wrong, all the stupid crime shows, b level documentaries, and most of the barrage of netflix originals is indeed filler

And when they moneyhat big directors to make movies for them it just doesnt feel the same. It feels like content, not cinema

Are you saying Scorsese's Irishman is not cinema? Well aint that deliciously ironic lol.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
"I'm not going to pay 8.99 per month so I can watch Weird Science at any time" -me when I cancelled 12 years ago.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I easily watch in a year content that would add up to well over 1,500 bucks if I would buy it legal on blueray

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
I gave up on Amazon Prime about a year ago when it became clear the amount I was paying for it wasn't worth the use I was getting out of it. It wasn't malicious, Prime is just really expensive and I kinda stopped buying games online when I moved to a street-level apartment with no doorman or mail room and when their streaming service lost most of its content to competing services.

Im the opposite. Amazon bundling is what makes it eat the lunch of everyone else. For nearly what Netflix costs per year, I get 2 day and sometimes 1 day shipping, unlimited photo cloud storage, Good selection of streaming music, and video service. Oh and free books and audio books at a limited selection.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Im the opposite. Amazon bundling is what makes it eat the lunch of everyone else. For nearly what Netflix costs per year, I get 2 day and sometimes 1 day shipping, unlimited photo cloud storage, Good selection of streaming music, and video service. Oh and free books and audio books at a limited selection.

Yeah. If I had an apartment with a mail room I would still have Prime. But street-level walk-up apartments are not a good fit for delivery.

$10 Bagel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They released probably two of the top 10 films of the year, and then Dolemite is my Name got great reception.

Gone are the days of shitty Frank Grillo movies and other films starring C-tier actors. I'm more excited for Netflix than ever.

Deleted member 2085

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good for OP, I guess.
Can't say I'd go back to cable since it's god fucking awful.
My family cut that shit out back in early 2019 and I was recently reminded that I do not miss it.
I was in the waiting room at a drug testing facility and they had TMZ on their only tv. Couldn't tell you how many mind numbing commercials passed by while I was waiting.

Citizencope

Oct 28, 2017
I'll be laughing while I'm watching the ending to Fuller House and you are not.
So many unanswered questions to be answered.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, if I wasn't already using my sister's account, I would've stopped paying a long ass time ago. And I sure as shit would've stopped paying when The OA got cancelled. It's clear to me Netflix is all about quantity and not quality. But since I'm not paying, lol.

Huh. Off the top my head:

The Irishman
Marriage Story
The Two Popes
Dolemite Is My Name

GLOW S3
Stranger Things S3
Russian Doll
Aggretsuko S2
Carole and Tuesday

That's hardly scratching the surface of their 2019 content

Oct 27, 2017
As I listed in a post earlier;

Dark, Stranger Things, Umbrella Academy, Haunting Of, Sex Education, Ozark, BoJack Horseman, Mindhunter, Black Mirror, American Vandal, Sabrina, Russian Doll etc, etc, etc along with miniseries like When They See Us and Unbelievable.

In addition, in the last few months of 2019 they released Dolemite is my Name, The Irishman, The King, Marriage Story and The Two Popes. All hugely critically acclaimed films

No other service matches that.

RedVanguard

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
I was a long time CrunchyRoll sub from the early 2010-era and while I recently tried to get into anime, it's mostly just T&A which I could care less for. Maybe im just outgrowing it?

Have Netflix (keeping for now) and Disney+ (renews on the 13th, probably keep but 50/50) and that's it.

aerts1js

May 11, 2019
Honestly, no other service comes close to matching the amount of quality content Netflix roles out.

SelfCon

Oct 28, 2017
Nope. Netflix is still the best streaming service. The crime/murder docs alone are well worth the price of admission for me.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
You're late. If you're not using it, don't pay for it. The freedom of no contracts.

I still use it daily, but thankfully my phone service pays for it.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
In Germany prime comes with too many
advantages. For 69 Euro. Even if I dont watch, its still worth it. We hadnt had topay for 1 year + because we got free month each time a prime shipment delayed. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Shipping
Premium shipping
Early Access to Lightning Deals
Amazon Pantry
Amazon Family
Free Same-Day delivery

Entertainment
Twitch Prime
Prime Video
Prime Music

Reading
Prime Reading

Additional Benefits
Amazon Photos

I like netflix for its content.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
What's good about paying extra for two day shipping, marks, Amazon used to offer one day shipping for free until they figured they could charge you extra for two days. Meanwhile other webshops in my country offer same day delivery, or one day delivery for free, including delivery on Sunday. And because shipping only takes one day here, you now have to watch your Amazon order idle away for three days before getting shipped out. Pure artificial money gating.

Last edited:

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Don't even care about the main Netflix Original stuff, my focus is on the international stuff I get to watch thanks to the service.

Trapped, Quicksand, Dogs of Berlin and Paranoid were my favourite shows last year. 💙

AusGeno

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I rotate Netflix, Prime and Stan but Hulu with the HBO subscription is my one constant service.

Oct 25, 2017
Every year when my Prime sub comes up I tell myself I'm going to cancel it

Every year I end up keeping it at least in part so my parents can enjoy the free 2 day shipping

And now that I've taught them about Prime Video they have indicated they might start using that.

It's the least I can do for my parents

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I usually subscribe for a month, catch up on anything I've missed, then cancel again for a few months. That way I still get to watch Ozark and YOU, which now that OITNB has ended are the only two ongoing shows I watch on there.