• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bowling Pin

One Winged Slayer
Dec 9, 2017
I sincerely hope Shinichiro Watanabe pitched a Phantom Menace related piece for Visions, only to once again just produce an episode of Cowboy Bebop.

Readler

Oct 6, 2018
giphy.gif

I get what people are saying about Disney bukkakeing us all with too much content, and I'd agree if this were about the films.

However with TV shows, I feel some diversity is fine and I'm hyped.
Obviously Kenobi is the one I'm most keen for, been waiting for this since Rogue One got announced, but I'm also looking forward to Ahsoka (Filoni. You sonofabitch). Andor I could see become a sleeper hit and if Lando's got Donglover again, I'll be there day one.
The other stuff I'm not feeling yet but we'll see lol

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
I'm excited for all of them really :-D

Maybe for Rogue Squadron the most. Hope we get a bunch of new ship designs in it. I actually wish that was going to be a series more than a stand alone movie though. Hopefully it does well though and a Rogue Squadron series can be made after.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
i like ice-cream and i like to fill my freezer with like 2-3 tubs of ice-cream conccurently.

But not like 12 tubs. Even that is too much for me.

dhlt25

Oct 27, 2017
there's too much marvel and star wars stuff on D+ and not much of anything else. It's a really boring service

Reizzz

Jun 19, 2019
My personal hope is it takes place between 4 and 5, and is basically a mix of Top Gun + Oceans 11 + Star Wars

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
I hope something good comes out from it and probably will, but as a fan of Rey, Finn and co I would have loved something about them.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
I'm incredibly excited about pretty much all of this! Obi Wan bringing back Hayden Christensen, Rogue Squadron getting a movie by Patty Jenkins, Ahsoka live action series, the Bad Batch (which is basically Republic Commando the animation series), SO GOOD!

Curious about Lando, but I really don't know what to expect there. I also have no idea what to expect from Rangers of the New Republic, that sounds the least exciting to me, seems unnecessary. Visions sounds like it could be interesting, hoping for some Tartakovsky vibes.

The Accolyte is also very exciting, I didn't expect them to announce a High Republic big budget production this soon.

Oct 25, 2017
Many of these tv series are limited runs, like Obi-Wan which is six episodes long (and Lando which I believe they called an event series?). I'm not worried about oversaturation.

And Solo underperformed because it was a very boring-looking, safe movie by a very safe director. Lucasfilm fired the guys who could have made it exciting and interesting.

Rise of Skywalker did a bit worse than the other movies because it completely shat the bed, as Lucasfilm had no clue what it was doing when it set out to made the sequel trilogy.

Here, at least, something interesting is happening. We have some terrific, exciting talent (the director of the excellent Russian Dolls series on Acolyte, Deborah Chow on Obi Wan, Taika on his new film, Jenkins on RS) helming new work, and Filoni who at least understands the philosophy of Star Wars presumably overseeing at least three of these shows.

That is pretty danged cool. A bunch of tv series and just two movies in a few years isn't oversaturation. It'll only be too much if they suck.

Now hopefully Disney is smart enough to not involve Gina Carano in any of this.

Tomasoares

Oct 28, 2017
It's lots of stuff, but I don't think everything will be released at the same time... Also, I'm still waiting for RJ trilogy

Readler

Oct 6, 2018
Many of these tv series are limited runs, like Obi-Wan which is six episodes long (and Lando which I believe they called an event series?). I'm not worried about oversaturation.

And Solo underperformed because it was a very boring-looking, safe movie by a very safe director. Lucasfilm fired the guys who could have made it exciting and interesting.

Rise of Skywalker did a bit worse than the other movies because it completely shat the bed, as Lucasfilm had no clue what it was doing when it set out to made the sequel trilogy.

Here, at least, something interesting is happening. We have some terrific, exciting talent (the director of the excellent Russian Dolls series on Acolyte, Deborah Chow on Obi Wan, Taika on his new film, Jenkins on RS) helming new work, and Filoni who at least understands the philosophy of Star Wars presumably overseeing at least three of these shows.

That is pretty danged cool. A bunch of tv series and just two movies in a few years isn't oversaturation. It'll only be too much if they suck.

Now hopefully Disney is smart enough to not involve Gina Carano in any of this.
You shut your mouth, Solo was fantastic.

0h-so-Cold

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 2, 2020
Jesus. I love Star Wars (well, in theory, Rogue One is the only Disney movie I've cared for) but this is too much. Did they learn nothing? Or was the lesson "That [one] series we made [which filled a void no other series occupied before] was very successful so let's make 10 more like that one, success is guaranteed!"
They literally have a star wars channel on the service. This is content made for it over the stretch of years. This is what people wanted for decades sir.

Even now this is not enough for some people as they are being drip fed star wars thru mandalorian.

Last edited:

Readler

Oct 6, 2018
I enjoyed Solo, but it obviously did not look exciting to enough people.
That it didn't, I wasn't sold on it either and only watched it on D+ when I was bored.
It had no right to be that good and I actually loved Alden Ehrenreich as Han.

Anyway, I don't mind the content, but can understand why people might seem frustrated. Then again, D+ has been around for a year and so far they've only had Mando and TCW S7 as new content, with only the former being a D+ original. They need new stuff.

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus. I love Star Wars (well, in theory, Rogue One is the only Disney movie I've cared for) but this is too much. Did they learn nothing? Or was the lesson "That [one] series we made [which filled a void no other series occupied before] was very successful so let's make 10 more like that one, success is guaranteed!"

They're not making ten more tv shows.

One is the Patty Jenkins movie for 2023, another is the Taika movie for sometime after that.

Then we have a six episode obi wan mini series, a Lando mini series, an animated show, something in an entirely different time period that'll probably be really interesting since it's from Leslye Headland, and then we have the two Mando spinoffs with Ahsoka and Rangers.

To recap:

2 mini series
2 movies
1 high republic sith show
1 spy show
1 clone wars spin-off
2 mando spin-offs, kinda

GamePnoy74

Oct 27, 2017
Really excited for all the Star Wars projects but Visions resonates with me the most with the anime fanboy in me.

I'm certain if one of the Visons bits gains in popularity that one turn into a full show.

EDIT:
My Star Wars Visions hot take - I'm hoping for a Doctor Aphra anime series.

Last edited:

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
It'll be nice to actually have more than 1 show to watch on Disney+ once this and the marvel stuff starts hitting.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A universe that should be infinitely big is instead going the infinitely small direction. It's always the same era, always the same beats. Bit tiring now.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
Oh no please stop forcing me to watch all this stuff Disney! Have you learned nothing!?

People acting like this is all coming in a one month period and not stretched out over years.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Hyped for Lando, Rogue Squadron, Andor, Obi-Wan and the Taika movie.

Optimistic for Acolyte. Sounds like they're gonna follow the Sith Apprentice of that era?

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Obviously will watch all new projects. But personally most hyped for Obi-Wan, Rogue Squadron and Ahsoka.

Super curious about The Acolyte though, if they manage to hit all the right checks this might be amazing.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
I'm very excited to say the least. Lots of Star Wars coming, and diverse Star Wars too, so if some of it is mediocre it doesn't matter all that much.

From what is anounced, and apart from the films, I'm looking forward the most to The Acolyte, which promises a fresh and interesting take that seems like it will steer away from the general war/samourai/western type Star Wars. Really curious how that will turn out.

Visions looks very interesting too, and I can't wait to see how that will turn out.

Seems like Andor will give me my traditional Star Wars fix, and I hope it's better focused than Mandalorian. So can't wait for that one to. Als curious how Obi Wan will turn out. I'm not wild on the idea of bringing Hayden back (how will that work? Him in the suit and dubbed by James Earl Jones? Or will we get flashbacks? Or will we see burn victim Vader without helmet? ) as I'd hoped they would let Vader out of this one. But if it's flash backs they could actually flesh out Anakin's fall better than the PT did. I have faith in Deborah too.

I even liked the Bad Batch sizzle reel. I didn't like those episodes in Clone Wars, but it seems like they're gonna take it into an interesting direction by placing it post Order 66. Looks amazing too.

Not sure what to expect from Rangers and Ahsoka, but definitely interested in the latter. The cross-over event style storytelling is not my jam (I feel it often is a weakpoint in stead of a strength), and while I enjoy The Mandalorian, I'm not fond of it.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
The Bad Batch should be great, given Clone Wars and Rebels. 10/10 hype.

The Acolyte should be good, given Russian Doll. Also the new High Republic era is interesting. 10/10 hype.

Obi-Wan Kenobi is a prequel reunion, so that's cool. 8/10 hype.

Ahsoka! If they can find a good action director, then :0. 10/10 hype.

Andor is something that I'll watch, but I don't really care about anything to do with Rogue One. 5/10 hype.

Visions - animated anthologies are usually a mixed bag. I guess it depends on who is involved and what kind of stories are included. 5/10 hype.

Lando. 10/10 if it's Billy Dee Williams. 1/10 if it's Donald Glover.

Rangers of the New Republic. Idk what this is? 5/10 hype.

Rogue Squadron could be really special given Patty's family history of fighter pilots. Post IX is also aces. 9/10 hype.

Untitled Taika Waititi Film. Taika's schtick can be obnoxious so idk. 6/10 hype.

A Droid Story will depend on what kind of Droid it is. If it's like Chopper or BB-8, then 8/10 hype. If it's like WAC-47 then 2/10 hype.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
Basically none of them. I want to see something new out of SW, pushing past the Era of the OT and PT, to the new lands that The Last Jedi promised me.

As far as I know, none of these are doing that.

As someone desperately wanting something truly fresh and new, my reaction to todays news

We're never leaving the OT

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
As someone desperately wanting something truly fresh and new, my reaction to todays news

We're never leaving the OT

There is literally a film set after the sequel trilogy and a series set like 200 years before the prequels in that list? not sure how that qualifies as not leaving the OT.

Telamon

Banned
May 25, 2020
I think Disney have gotten a bit caught up in Mando's success and underestimated how much of it is down to the "hey that guy's like Boba Fett, he was cool" and "oh my god baby Yoda is adorable!" mass market crowd, who I don't think will give a shit about almost any of these projects.

Obi Wan Kenobi will probably do big numbers for similar reasons, Kenobi + Darth Vader = interest from people otherwise not bothered. I'm surprised they didn't go with some sort of Skywalker series tbh, but I suppose they want to hold that back until some of the Rise of Skywalker anger has abated. So maybe next century.

Personally I'm looking forward to Rogue Squadron, for the stupid reason of my having played the games, which will have nothing to do with the movie.

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
I'm all for it...

The way I see it, this is just much needed content to fill out the Star Wars segment of Disney+ which IMO needs more content as is. What point is there to have a streaming service with a dedicated "channel" when said "channel" barely has content to justify it (Mando, a few older shows and 9 movies with several lego specials and documentaries)? When you think about it and how they have to reshuffle the films to make it seem like a lot "Gasp... the Vader collection and the Ahsoka collection!" it really isn't much compared to Nat Geo and Disney sections. Hell, at least in Marvel you can watch the many shows that have appeared over the years like Xmen Evolution or Spiderman and His Amazing Friends in addition to movies and Disney shows.

Anyways... Not sure if I'm looking forward to Rogue Squadron. That depends on where they take the post ST era, but Ashoka has my interest the most.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I'm feeling Star Wars fatigue. Especially seeing the same eras. Watching all these announcements only accentuated that. I'm still in for the movies and the series about the high Republic (at least it's a new era without tens of stories already told about it). Maybe Obi-Wan series of it's good.

I'm not even sure I want to watch another Mandalorian season the way things go.

But I guess a lot of people will be happy about these.

OP
OP
Comrade Grogu

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
I see this is the clone wars sequel. I'm in.

Ahsoka, Kenobi and Acolyte are my most anticipated. I'll watch Rogue Squadron, Waitit's movie and Visions but I'm not sure what to expect. I'll watch Visions mostly for the animation tho. I don't really care for the rest.
I want Visions because it'll have different stories; it'll basically be like the micro-series in terms of animation except more anthological.

Oct 28, 2017
Jesus, it's like they learned nothing from Solo. Nobody but a small cadre of super-nerds wants this much Star Wars, and said cadre is too busy arguing about TLJ for the billionth time to really give a damn about these. One series/film every year or two is more than enough, thanks.

People want Star Wars as long as it's done right.

Nobody wanted Solo, even the die hard nerds like myself never even bought the concept of a Han Solo origin story, from the very beginning. Nobody asked for that.

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1-Obi-Wan Kenobi
2-The Acolyte
3-Rogue Squadron

Special mentions - Taika's film and Lando

Can't wait for obi-wan, specially with Darth Vader being in it. ;) I just hope it's Vader looking for Obi wan, knowing he'll always be a threat but not finding him.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
The Bad Batch trailer most likely featured plot points from 2 to 3 of the unmade CW arcs. Dave Filoni saved his show one arc at a time. Dark Disciple mini-series next, please. Please. Just do the book with some build-up as to who these characters are so that normies can also follow along. KK will go out on a high note when this slate is done. Things fully fell into place now. If we had to drive the ST into a wall for this then so be it. As they say: "Another happy landing".
Obi-Wan Kenobi will lastly become the most-watched streaming mini-series of all time when it comes out. Just don´t forget to cast Ian McDiarmid.

Lmo2017

Oct 25, 2017
To the east of Parts Unknown...
It'll depend on the nature of these shows. If some are more like mini series, then I think the market can handle them. They'll just fade into the library when finished or aren't successful.

Mando is also only like eight episodes a season. You'd need three of these shows combined before you reach what would be considered a traditional season of TV. There's more wiggle room than it looks.