• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
I don't think they would limit it to just 1080p. It would scale quite nicely with next gen though. Also really strange for them to make it weaker than xbone x in GPU. They did say +4 TFLOPs, do 4 is minimum. I think it will be 6TFLOPS, with the same CPU as the higher model, and at least 12GB Ram, possibly GDDR6 also. It would scale quite nicely with next gen..

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I'm not looking forward to a gen of forced 4k at crappy framerates.

There darn well better be 1080p/60fps options in games.

The ideal sweet spot for me is 1440p/60fps, with any spare horsepower for other details, but if I can get 1080p/60 option with good IQ, I'll take it 100% of the time over 4k for the sake of 4k.
Couldn't care less about 4K, talk a out wasting 4x the horsepower just for the exact same current gen quality. Meh.

Give me 60fps and/or a downsampled 1080p picture instead and then we can talk. Possibly both.

(of course they aren't going to do that, the 4K push is going to be HUGE, this is just what I would like to see)

While there is a greater possibility of us getting performance and graphics modes in the future, I really wouldn't expect it being the norm. It would be nice to have those kinds of options for every game on consoles, but if you truly want that "60+fps ALL* the time" option it's only going to be found on PC. That is unless Microsoft doesn't just go "Xboxes can be full W10 PCs with typical PC graphics options now!" which is also a possibility.

*outside of the rare poor PC port

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
While there is a greater possibility of us getting performance and graphics modes in the future, I really wouldn't expect it being the norm. It would be nice to have those kinds of options for every game on consoles, but if you truly want that "60+fps ALL* the time" option it's only going to be found on PC. That is unless Microsoft doesn't just go "Xboxes can be full W10 PCs with typical PC graphics options now!" which is also a possibility.

*outside of the rare poor PC port

Realistically, yeah, I don't expect every dev to put in the extra work for it, but technically I would hope with next gen CPUs being less of a bottleneck, the ability to have a 60fps option at a decent resolution should be there. I just really hope that sort of preset becomes a lot more common with the extra horsepower.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'll take the spec that aims for 4K and kind of hope that devs have sense to provide users options that utilize the power for different reasons that are available to the user's command. Not robust graphics options like PC, but simpler presets.

We see that now but the "performance" modes tend to leave a lot to be desired -- usually fail to uphold a steady high framerate. If we're pushing even more compute-power overhead with next gen, then I hope that maybe those 1080p/60fps presets actually achieve a steady 60fps.

I'd rather choose between simple choices (vs PC where the settings and performance costs can be quite complicated), and I think having more compute power will leave the most flexibility to choose.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
I'll always go for more power despite only having a 1080p display. I love that downsampling goodness for that pristine image quality.

Deleted member 46922

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
It's too bad 1440p has only really been a pc monitor standard, because the move from 1080p to 1440p would have had my blessing.
I don't have room for a giant tv set, and 4k is just overkill imho.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Current rumour is that it would be 4TF. If you need 6TF for 4K (Xbox One X) then logically the low end machine would have to be targeting 1080p or perhaps 1440p.

Good point, I forgot the entry was rumored to be 4TF and the upgraded CPU.

Either way though, I'd be going for the higher end option myself.

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
Honestly, I'm really curious as to how this next generation is going to unfold. I don't think we have the hardware, at a competitive price and console form factor, to achieve a solid 4K output with the graphical leap we usually expect from a new generation.

I love my 4K TV, and native content looks great. But, computationally, are we really at the stage where we can do these displays justice on a console?

I'd rather 4K checkerboard from 1440p or something with a substantial increase in graphical fidelity.

Feb 10, 2018
Honestly, I'm really curious as to how this next generation is going to unfold. I don't think we have the hardware, at a competitive price and console form factor, to achieve a solid 4K output with the graphical leap we usually expect from a new generation.

I love my 4K TV, and native content looks great. But, computationally, are we really at the stage where we can do these displays justice on a console?

I'd rather 4K checkerboard from 1440p or something with a substantial increase in graphical fidelity.

I don't know if you took RDR2 but was made with an 8core zen so a lot more on screen characters + objects, double that ram and a extra 2tflops for graphics and stuff the leap would still be pretty good.

Deleted member 32442

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Germany
i just want 60 fps, fuck 4k but i probably play the xbox games on my Pc through the play Anywhere feature so i think i don't buy the next gen Xbox at all

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whatever console I get next get had better do native 4K in most games. Sitting pretty close to a 4K TV the difference is very significant.

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
I don't even see FullHD TVs anymore in stores it's all 4K at dirt cheap prices
and its a massive difference between 4K and 1080p
but more than 4K I feel HDR is the one that needs massive adoption but unless you pay more than 1000$ you don't get a TV with decent HDR

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

"We have a product for people who want a 1080p console - it's called Xbox One"

Seriously, it'd be foolish of Microsoft to announce a next gen(!) console that ouputs at 1080p.
Devs are free to favor frame rate over resolution and render games at a lower res, but the console should be perfectly capable to ouptut 4k60.

Lil Peanut Brotha

Motion Graphics Artist at Riot Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
CA, USA
As someone who owns a 4K tv (got it rather cheap), I don't care that much about it. It's of course nice to have more sharpness, but in most cases if I could trade it for a more full, vibrant scene, better post FX, or a rock solid or higher frame rate, I would choose any of those in a heartbeat over higher resolution. It's the definition of diminishing returns IMO. (Unless your talking talking about VR or something)

Karppuuna

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Next-gen consoles will be powerful enough for 4K/60fps in most games.
Most limiting factory for 60fps is that shitty CPU that current gen has, that CPU can't handle 60fps in most games, no matter what the resolution is.

Rikster

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Jun 24, 2018
California
It honestly depends on the person, i always thought it wasnt a big deal then i finally saved up and got myself a Samsung 8000 and completely changed my mind on 4K. But there isnt anything wrong with 1080p it still looks great. But 4K looks fucking great i find myself choosing better resolution in games on my PS4 Pro then FPS which is crazy but it looks that much better.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I believe 4K should be shoved down people's throats.

We cannot have a standard if we don't make the old obsolete.
We will get there but it'll take time. Look st how long it took to make regular HD standard! And still more than half of all disc sales in America are for DVDs so a healthy amount of people are still rocking 480i images on their brand spanking HDTVs they bought at Walmart and they don't give a damn about the difference!

Hell, I'm a hardcore gamer and I sometimes struggle a bit to see the difference between a game running on 1080p a PS4 vs the same game running on a higher resolution on a Pro.

Do you think many laymen give a crap about the difference between 1080p and 4K? Regular HD had the added advantage of a wider aspect ratio change in addition to resolution. The change to 4K is not as dramatic.

OCG

Nov 4, 2017
When it comes to watching something online, 1440p monitor is a great balance between those two. Besides, most of the online videos are usually 1080p quality (even though I do admit that 4K is becoming more and more common), and watching 1080p videos and movies on a 4K screen feels just a little off to me, even if I'm using reasonable upscaling.
When it comes to gaming, 1440p is a 100% perfect spot for me.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I'll be genuinely interested by a cheap 1080p machine. I only own a 1080p 32" monitor installed in the guest room which I use for my switch. I don't intend to buy a bigger screen as I hate TV and won't ruin my cosy home with a big screen (especially as I have a projector to watch movies in good conditions anyway).
So, that rumored 1080p box by Microsoft is right up my alley.

Brood

Nov 8, 2018
For me playing old games and watching Netflix and YouTubeTV is essential. so I'm not going to buy a 4K tv. 1080p is enough for me.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
4K tvs may be the only thing on the market but when the majority of people already bought a HD widescreen tv these last 10 years, and their content is mostly all just 1080p, I don't think we'll get the adoption for 4K for a while. OLED helps that push.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
I will stay on an 1080p monitor since 4k monitors are still expensive. Will use the overhead for 60 fps and fancier settings.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not looking forward to a gen of forced 4k at crappy framerates.

There darn well better be 1080p/60fps options in games.

The ideal sweet spot for me is 1440p/60fps, with any spare horsepower for other details, but if I can get 1080p/60 option with good IQ, I'll take it 100% of the time over 4k for the sake of 4k.
If you want different performance modes get a PC. This is unlikely to become a regular thing on console

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
If you want different performance modes get a PC. This is unlikely to become a regular thing on console

lots of games have performance/resolution modes already , that should continue. Especially if you have one machine that is running the lower resolution variant

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
I'm going all in and going for a C9. I want that high frame rate with a big screen. I know it won't be full 4k at that frame rate, only 1440p, but it should be big enough to not be noticeable.

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not going to buy a Microsoft console as long as their games are being ported to PC, but if I had to choose I'd get the 4K console and set the output to 1080p anyway in the hopes of getting 60fps out of it.

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017
1080p Peasant Mode all the way.

I don't care about the minuscule upgrade from "4k". I have no need to support the shareholders of the console manufacturers any further.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
Better buy 4k

1080p console will absolutely have games that drop from 1080p. 4k will have drops as well but at least it's still higher than 1080p. You also have a chance to have performance mode options unlocking higher frames, draw distance, shadows, etc.

jobrro

The Fallen
Nov 19, 2017
The 4K one. And then one or both of the enhanced (Sony and/or MS) consoles in a few years.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
I don't think we'll be getting a "4K beast". Not even 2080 Ti's will run new games in 4K without sacrifices.

I agree but it depends on the game in question. But for sake of discussion let's say we are talking about graphics heavy AAA games ala God of War etc. More likely thing is that those will run with a combination of solutions like dynamic resolution, image sharpening at lower than native res, checkerboarding etc. At above 1440p all of these produce results that are not far off from 4K and you would not even notice in movement.

It's not going to be 1080p vs 4K, it's going to be "4K-ish" vs "4K-ish with higher detail settings", with 1080p (or maybe even 1440p) options for PS4 Pro or for those who favor higher framerate.

Ostron

Mar 23, 2019
Not sure why this is such a hot point of contention when PC gamers have had access to 4k for years. It's just not worth the frames for most people. Console players won't be as bothered by choppy unresponsive gameplay and will be fine playing at 30 with drops as usual. Maybe some will see the light with the games supporting 1080p/120hz.

RulkezX

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still confused what this supposed peasant mode console is.

Folk in here taking like it's 2 identical consoles yet 1 is magically capped at 1080p