• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
Assuming the rumours are true, and MS is launching two consoles at different price points , a 4k beast and 1080p peasant mode, what will you go for?

Personally I would go for 1080p, I don't even own a 4k tv. Assuming the games run the same on both consoles, I would not pay extra for more pixels and prettier images. I actually really like this idea, of not showing 4k down our throats if we don't want to pay for it.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Within the next few years it won't even be possible to purchase a TV that isn't 4K anymore. Unless you plan on just never purchasing a TV again, a 4K console is the better investment.

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't the rumored low end sku a streaming box? Also, 4K TV's are super cheap now so MS would be somewhat foolish to try and cater to 1080p set owners after this gen.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm still going to buy the higher spec system, even though I have a 1080p TV

I'm sure there will be other advantages in some games, like higher framerate and downsampling options

Oct 27, 2017
I'd totally get the 1080p machine if the only difference was pixel count. I still don't have a 4k TV and I'm not looking to upgrading anytime soon.

Alex3190

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Makes me wonder if the Xcloud service will be able to stream the game image in 4k natively while also able to keep input lag down.

Is it possible to downsample a 4k image down to 1080p on switch?

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
Yes, 4K TVs are more commonplace and it's no different than when 1080p/HD TVs started phasing out 480p TVs. The fact that you can still consume 1080p and other HD formats on a 4K TV only means that you can continue to do so. Consoles that play at 4K, unless they're outrageously priced are still only going to give us either the following;

1. 4K @ 30FPS
2. 4K @ 60FPS with compromises

Or like the Xbox One X and PS4 Pro, have games that offer a better IQ with better framerates. Which TV you have means nothing, unless they only output a 4K signal. Then that's a different story.

As for me, I'd take a 1080p beast that has amazing AA/AN and never drops from 60fps. 4K is nice, but even on my PCs, it comes with a compromise. I rather not have that, especially with a console that is going to cost $500 and above.

Just my .2 cents.

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
More than half the people I know own a console and a 1080p TV. They've seen my 4k running games native and just being "eh" I for one love 4k and can't live without it, but some people just don't care really. Making a cheaper model for 1080p is great because I'll still be able to play games with my mates who don't want to shell out for a bigger SKU.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
I'm all in on 4K/HDR on consoles. Games don't even need to even run at a native 4K to look crispy to me, I'm plenty happy with games with X enhancements that push the pixels above 1080p, but not necessarily at native 4K. I've tried 1080p modes on my 4K TVs and don't like how soft the image looks on the games I've tried. I don't have a 1080p tv in my home to take advantage of any downsampling, etc.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
This actually makes sense to have 2 consoles that are basically the same other than their resolution. But there is also something about just having 1 powerful console at a $400 price point. But options are great, so I actually really do like the idea of having a system that's specifically for 1080p.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
4K. I'm not buying a 1080p box ever again, even if it's from Nintendo.

Oct 27, 2017
Why would both machines run games "the same," except for resolution? That's not how Xbox One X & One S work now, nor is it how PS4 and PS4 Pro work.

One X and Pro are the consoles to buy right now, even if you have a 1080p television and don't play on upgrading soon. Games often use higher image quality settings (e.g. texture filtering, antialiasing, etc.) on the X/Pro, in addition to the well known fact that most* games perform better.

*There are some unfortunate situations where the One X games don't offer a choice between "quality" and "performance," which can result in a game rendering internally at 4K (or close to it) even if your TV is 1080p. The trend has certainly been to offer the user options, however, which is why you should consider whatever the higher-spec next gen console is.

Mercador

Nov 18, 2017
Quebec City
The step between 1080p and 2160p is nowhere near the step from SD to HD. Sure, it's really nice looking, but I'm running RDR2 at 1080p and I'm still amaze by how they done that. To some extent, I do prefer the Dolby Vision / HDR difference than the number of pixels on screen and it way less demanding to hardware. Maybe I'm getting old too :P

Edit: I do prefer 1080p@60fps than 2160p@30fps. I hope we'll see 4320p@120fps someday !

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
I am damn ready for all 4k next generation which makes me excited. I'm all in on any more powerful SKU available if any of those companies go for it. I'd rather a single SKU that can handle 4k to start the generation though.

Also, I really hope performance and graphics options are a standard for the next generation. Especially if the game is unable to be both 4k and 60fps. The Pro options we had this generation is a good start but most games do not offer the best possible setting for performance.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
100% the cheaper low end Consoles will sell way better & become the baseline, what we want is kinda irrelevant in the big picture. the 2 SKU's idea is gonna suck for devs, gonna be a lot of downgrades.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
The only problem with 4k is that GPU hardware simply isn't there yet for the vast, vast majority of consumers that want an affordable gaming box and next-gen graphics, unless you want to see consoles break the $1000 price point. We're gonna see more 30 fps games and checkerboarding next gen, mark it down.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It makes way more sense to release a competitively priced system that takes advantage of useful tech like CB rendering and temporal injection to reach higher resolutions while also offering a separate mode for lower resolution and higher framerates. I bet people would be happy with a vastly superior CPU compared to last gen and a mild bump to GPU power of the One X's kind.

Games are still being developed with a 1.8TF GPU as the main target afterall! I think further development in smart rendering techniques (and things like PS4 Pro's object ID HW) will allow the next systems to reduce the focus on how much better the GPU will be, in raw compute power, thus saving on costs and allowing the money to be spent elsewhere!

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
1440p is a good compromise and doesn't seem much worse on my 55" 4K OLED. 60fps is much more important.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not looking forward to a gen of forced 4k at crappy framerates.

There darn well better be 1080p/60fps options in games.

The ideal sweet spot for me is 1440p/60fps, with any spare horsepower for other details, but if I can get 1080p/60 option with good IQ, I'll take it 100% of the time over 4k for the sake of 4k.

OP
OP

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
100% the cheaper low end Consoles will sell way better & become the baseline, what we want is kinda irrelevant in the big picture. the 2 SKU's idea is gonna suck for devs, gonna be a lot of downgrades.
Wont be that different from Switch portable/ dock mode though, and devs are fine with that. Cpu are romoured to be identical with the two skus (like switch), only difference is gpu and memory.

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017

The ideal sweet spot for me is 1440p/60fps, with any spare horsepower for other details, but if I can get 1080p/60 option with good IQ, I'll take it 100% of the time over 4k for the sake of 4k.
this.

Turrican3

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Couldn't care less about 4K, talk a out wasting 4x the horsepower just for the exact same current gen quality. Meh.

Give me 60fps and/or a downsampled 1080p picture instead and then we can talk. Possibly both.

(of course they aren't going to do that, the 4K push is going to be HUGE, this is just what I would like to see)

brentech

Oct 25, 2017

Guarantee framerates won't be any worse than platforms that were forced up to 1080. New times, same ups/downs. Lesser devs will try to cheat it to make things work while the top tier will do amazing work. Most games that are "made for" the pro/X already run great. So I have no concerns moving forward.

I was skeptical at first about what 4K would bring, but needed a new tv a year or two ago and got a great deal on one. Even games that aren't native 4K receive a great boost in image quality. Nothing to be afraid of.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
I rather them just do one console capable of 4k but with options in games to prioritize resolution and frame rate.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Im glad that they started the push for 4k early. At the beggining of this genration, and yet still. Not every game can even hit 1080p on ps4 and even less of them can on xbox one. Hopefully, with the pro consoles and time to optimize for higher res displays, we will have almost every ps5/xbox anaconda games hitting native 4k

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully, with the pro consoles and time to optimize for higher res displays, we will have almost every ps5/xbox anaconda games hitting native 4k

I'd like it to be true, but I don't see how they can hit that by next year while increasing graphical effects, without dropping to 30 fps in almost everything or checkerboarding from 1440/1800p. A slightly above current-gen graphics 4K60 PC solution will run you over a thousand bucks today. Console manufacturers have shown they are willing to eat a $200-250 loss in the past, but I'd be surprised if economies of scale can bring the hardware low enough to hit a $400-500 price point.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
1080p + HDR is more than sufficient for me. 4k is still a waste of resources. The difference between non-HDR and HDR is far greater than 1080p and 4k for my eyes.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
60fps will probably never be the standard on console. They will likely always push for other visual effects over the clarity of 60+.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
I believe 4K should be shoved down people's throats.

We cannot have a standard if we don't make the old obsolete.

This is bad as saying 60fps should be minimum. Consoles will never have the performance to appeal certain enthusiast crowds and why would you advocate locking out potential consumers.

You don't need it to be standard maybe devs can grow up and just offer options that are built in to the OS to begin with.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Wont be that different from Switch portable/ dock mode though, and devs are fine with that. Cpu are romoured to be identical with the two skus (like switch), only difference is gpu and memory.
Not really, Switch differences are clock rates, Low end Xbox vs high end Xbox is huge if true, the low end GPU will simply not allow devs to do some things they could have otherwise.

Hawkijustin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Iowa
People once said 720p was enough and it was a waste to go to 1080p. Now 1080p is a dying resolution. 4K is the now and 8k is the future. Design for tomorrow, not today.

baconcow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft are not going to make a next-gen console that is a step back, technology-wise, from their current console (Xbox One X). Getting a 4K and 1080p console to run games the same is not going to be easy; even the Xbox One doesn't run all games, at 1080p as good as the Xbox One X runs them at 4k (i.e. Diablo III).

I would like to see 4k/60 fps be the standard, for next generation, but I suspect dynamic 4k/30 fps will be here for another generation.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I'm quite happy with upto 4K as we have now, hopefully we will also have upto 8K for next gen.

And upto 1080p like we had at he start of the gen and Up 720p the gen before.

With 4K and even 8K displays (which are already affordable as premium items), upscaling is far less problematic than before.
Especially with sparse rendering being commonplace and various frame buffers already being decoupled.
I'd rather have devs have the choice to render the base image at 1080p and render post processing effects at 4K, than just render everything at 1080p just cos of people on the internet who can't see beyond their own noses.

As for 8K
The widespread commerialisationof that technology sits much closer to the expected releases of next gen machines for Sony inparticular to talk about it as a real thing, so I don't think the conversation will be about just 4K

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft are not going to make a next-gen console that is a step back, technology-wise, from their current console (Xbox One X). Getting a 4K and 1080p console to run games the same is not going to be easy; even the Xbox One doesn't run all games, at 1080p as good as the Xbox One X runs them at 4k (i.e. Diablo III).

I would like to see 4k/60 fps be the standard, for next generation, but I suspect dynamic 4k/30 fps will be here for another generation.

1440 + 144fps (or 120fps) would be a step up from 4k/30fps.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Why not just have video options? If the framerate wasn't affected I'd definitely choose 4k but otherwise I'd scale stuff down until the framerate was solid.

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
I like 4K games even on a 1080p display. With downsampling the visuals are nearly devoid of pixel blemishes.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I already have an X, so I'm preparing myself to upgrade to the more powerful unit when they're released.