• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mr.Awesome

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Just off the heels of the deadliest day in Chicago history, this may have been the most violent weekend ever in modern Chicago and the tallies are still going higher and it's not even a real holiday weekend. July 4th 2017 is the worst I can remember and this was worse than that. July 4th is next week and falls on a Saturday. I dont know what can be done at this point to stop that weekend, except maybe weather. At this point I'm praying for it.

www.nbcchicago.com

Chicago Violence: 104 Shot, 14 Fatally, in Deadly Father's Day Weekend Across the City

Chicago police say that 14 people, including a 3-year-old boy and multiple teenagers, were killed and at least 90 others have been wounded in shootings across the city over the course of a violent and deadly weekend. The fatal shootings of the weekend occurred as follows, according to police: At...

Tugatrix

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Weapons everywhere, racial tensions, police brutality, poverty, the heat, etc, the city is a mess from what I know

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty insane this is happening. They just mandated overtime and 12 hour shifts for all police officers last week. It was an exceptionally nice weekend here this weekend and people are finally back out. I really hope this isn't the norm for summer this year. The fact a 3 year old and 13 year old were killed this weekend enrages me.

Oct 25, 2017
Since we're all on-board with anti-racism, I would hope we can have a renewed conversation about how the 2nd amendment is definitely institutional racism.

Jul 18, 2018
Wow. Still working from home, so i'm not even aware of what's happening around the city atm. It's actually insane because i know people are going back outside fast, but i didn't expect shootings to be so bad this early

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
The list of shootings has a TON of drive-by shootings.

I know gangs are a problem, but is it possible there are people just driving around shooting people?

Quite a few of the shootings sound like just random hits.

OP
OP

Mr.Awesome

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
The list of shootings has a TON of drive-by shootings.

I know gangs are a problem, but is it possible there are people just driving around shooting people?

Quite a few of the shootings sound like just random hits.
That's usually gangs driving by other gangs territory and shooting pretty much at anyone they think may be associated with a rival gang.

AaronD

Dec 1, 2017
Would be nice if we had some job that existed to prevent situations like these....

T0M

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 13, 2019
inb4 "De-muh-crat run cities"

Here's hoping things calm down next weekend.

kalgore

Oct 29, 2017
I've been visiting the West Chicago burbs for work for the last 10 years. It feels like a different world compared to downtown.

Aftervirtue

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
What are viable solutions-near and long term?

Until then, we'll just have the same constant conservative talking points "look at the black on black crimes" and "democratic cities are lawless and violent". Not that they actually care or argue in good faith, but just as an excuse to dismiss/ ignore (Or maybe serve as a justification for) police brutality.

Zweizer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
+ areas of the city that have been completely abandoned by the city financially

It's a shame, but Chicago's leadership is completely ok with the violent crime being mostly centralized to a handful of neighborhoods they can just ignore.

Shame isn't strong enough of a word imo. It's more like a tragedy and a travesty.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018

Until then, we'll just have the same constant conservative talking points "look at the black on black crimes" and "democratic cities are lawless and violent". Not that they actually care or argue in good faith, but just as an excuse to dismiss/ ignore (Or maybe serve as a justification for) police brutality.
invest in the people living in the affected communities

Moose the Fattest Cat

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 15, 2017

The root causes of crime need to finally be addressed. What causes gang violence? Poverty and desperation.

The US needs to dramatically expand the social safety net to eliminate both — Universal Basic Income, Healthcare, and Housing would go a long, long, long, long, long, long, long way toward eliminating the motivation for gang violence.

But it's easier for White America to continue the racist narrative that Black people are inherently prone to crime/violence as the answer, instead of admitting the root cause of "black on black violence" is America's systemic dehumanization & oppression.

This is a form of crying out for attention, and care. We're so emotionally unintelligent, we only think to judge and condemn and punish, which does nothing but make it worse. Our society is so much dumber & evil than we can imagine.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018

This so tragic...So heartbreaking.

Invest in the communities affected most by the violence. Go after the root of the problems.

Oct 25, 2017

Short term: Free training and activities for youths. A lot of this is due to idleness and there are studies that show if teens are engaged they are much less likely to get involved in gangs and other stupid behavior. It also provides them more career opportunity and responsibility and when you give a shit about things in your life you are less likely to throw it away.
Long term: Ban guns

EDebs1916

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've been visiting the West Chicago burbs for work for the last 10 years. It feels like a different world compared to downtown.

Gun violence generally doesn't happen downtown. The people who own the million dollar condos and frequent the fancy dog parks and craft cocktail lounges woudn't allow it. It's isolated to pockets in under-resourced neighborhoods full of black and brown folks so that white Chicago can ignore it.

In 2016, five police districts overseeing only 8 percent of Chicago's population recorded around 32 percent of its murders. Two Chicago neighborhoods, Burnside and Fuller Park, counted a rate of more than 100 killings per 100,000 people. People living in them were nine times more likely to be shot in their neighborhood than in the city's safest quarters.

"Just like income, education and other metrics of social advantage, violent gun crime varies even more within American cities than between them," Hertz wrote.

www.thetrace.org

New FBI Data Is In: Murder Rates in U.S. Cities, Ranked

The national murder rate increased by 29 percent in 2020 as violence surged during the pandemic, new FBI data shows.

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly dont know the solution. I was raised in Inglewood, chicago. I was the only blerd in the whole area (needless to say i got picked on a lot). Kids are indoctrinated really young to want to be in gangs. They see it as the thing to do. Like if you arent in a gang you get bullied till you are. I personally think the only way to fix the issue is to restructure the gangs from the inside out. Have real leaders that are for fixing the community (like they were invited for). breaking up the gangs wont work. arresting the leaders wont work. providing job wont work because the kids see gangs as the best and coolest occupation.

Or like in the Wire when someone just comes and basically buys out all the gangs and make them work together.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
Those communities economic help. Not more police.

Stop closing schools and help provide food and housing security. Let the communities become something other than a place for desperate people to do desperate things.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't really happening downtown. I live downtown and I experience none of the violence or really any of the crime you read about. This is usually happening on the South and West sides of the city.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I lot of the guns in these shootings are likely stolen via breakins. There are so many stolen guns out on the black market that banning guns won't effect the number of guns on the streets for decades.

Many more are bought across state lines. This problem isn't getting solved because it doesn't impact the wealthy side of town. If these shooting were taking place in Lincoln Park, Forest Glen, Gold Coast, North Center etc we would be seeing a different type of response.

Edit: banning guns is the ideal solution but it is a long term goal at best.

J2C

Oct 26, 2017
Chicago has a longtime systemic racism problem, massive redlining, and isn't a city that was as ready for rioting and looting that accompanied protests. Its effected poor neighborhoods and small businesses as much as wealthy ones. Combined with its yearly violence when it gets nice out, current unemployment, and pandemic stresses. Obviously it's neighborhoods in a city that feel like and have been abandoned. We literally had security footage of cops taking naps, if you needed any more proof of that.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Other answers are right, not to mention the fact that the poorer you are, the less likely you will have ac.
Hmm, I see that but it's a sad state of affairs when not having ac and it generally being warm and people being poor becomes people getting shot. The US is a crazy place, I don't understand how it ever got to the point where everybody has a gun

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly dont know the solution. I was raised in Inglewood, chicago. I was the only blerd in the whole area (needless to say i got picked on a lot). Kids are indoctrinated really young to want to be in gangs. They see it as the thing to do. Like if you arent in a gang you get bullied till you are. I personally think the only way to fix the issue is to restructure the gangs from the inside out. Have real leaders that are for fixing the community (like they were invited for). breaking up the gangs wont work. arresting the leaders wont work. providing job wont work because the kids see gangs as the best and coolest occupation.

Or like in the Wire when someone just comes and basically buys out all the gangs and make them work together.

Yup.

Places like this, Brownsville/East New York in Brooklyn, etc...if you want to change things there, you have to do all of these things. You have to invest in the housing, the neighborhood services, the schools, the stores, the people in the area. AND you have to arrest the leaders and the rank-and-file in the gangs. AND you have to find a way to disrupt the interest in being in a gang, from the leadership to the "quick" money. People join these things because these areas are impoverished and disinvested in for generations.

I wish it could be as easy as someone with big pockets just purchasing the gangs.