• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Good on them. Even if this one protest doesnt change much, it sets a precedent.

ZmillA

Oct 27, 2017
"We have asked all managers to make every accommodation to allow Rioters to participate during the 2-4pm window, including freeing up meeting times."

lol that's not how this works

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It needs a centralized voice and more participants. Otherwise, it'll just get waved away and be forgotten. AKA, it needs Union-grade organization and managers to join.

100 is not a lot of people, but my hope is that it emboldens more to join in next time. There will be a lot of eyes on this, not just from inside Riot but from other companies. These 100 are hopefully paving the path for more people making their voices heard and forcing change in the absence of unions.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
100 is not a lot of people, but my hope is that it emboldens more to join in next time. There will be a lot of eyes on this, not just from inside Riot but from other companies. These 100 are hopefully paving the path for more people making their voices heard and forcing change in the absence of unions.
that is the hope, but the reality of the aftermath may be disappointing.

Oct 28, 2017
A hundred collective voices acting together are always louder than a hundred single voices acting alone.

Hopefully this is the start of something.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Seems more symbolic than disruptive. Gotta start somewhere though.

Deleted member 20892

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
According to two current employees, one person was allowed to pose a rare anonymous question to executives at last week's company meeting. (Traditionally at these meetings, employees must ask questions by name.) The sources said that the anonymous question regarded employees who felt like they could not express opinions that dissented from those of frustrated employees walking out.
really makes you think

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Not sure if that's enough people. I don't know if I would ever personally participate in a walkout of that few people, since that means it'd be pretty easy for the company to retaliate against such a small amount.

I wish them luck.
This is what worries me.
They're really brave to test the waters. I hope it pays off for them.

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Now observe the snowball effect of this Rolling into E3 and next GDC with other companies having the same event... You can almost hear other major companies scrambling right now to Prevent this from happening

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
Aren't these the guys who made LoL.

I remember reading how bad the environment was in an article posted here a while ago.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Great to here. All current union orgs should be assisting. Tech is one of the last frontiers for unionization.

Radishhead

Oct 30, 2017
Will 100 of 1000+ be enough to be an impact? I really hope so, I hope this is enough to cause some changes, at the very least the firing of the COO(?) who played a big part in some of the toxic actions that went on in the studio.

I don't know about you, but where I work, if 10% of people just walked out, we would be in serious trouble. I imagine the same is the case for most workplaces.

StoveOven

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Good on them for not accepting the half-measure from Riot management. It needs to be known that their response was inadequate and that there's still dissent within Riot.

This is a huge moment for the industry. Hopefully others follow in their footsteps.

Deleted member 13645

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know about you, but where I work, if 10% of people just walked out, we would be in serious trouble. I imagine the same is the case for most workplaces.

Riot has 2500 employees according to google. That's 4% of their employees participating in this walkout. I don't think that's enough to make Riot sweat yet, but that's a non-negligible amount; and hopefully it will embolden others to join in.

I suppose it depends on who exactly is walking out though. If there's higher level employees and managers or senior engineers then it'll definitely hurt.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
They have they support and there should be more walk outs. Act now.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
Union = probably higher game prices.

Like we don't pay higher game prices now? Sure, a handful of games come out that are $60 no microtransactions or season passes but the majority of games that are released have all that crap. I would suspect unionization to not really change that. Also there's been studies on crunch and humans are just not as effective during a 60 hour workweek as they would be during a 40 hour one (not to mention the longterm benefits and overall industry worker health.)

Radishhead

Oct 30, 2017
Riot has 2500 employees according to google. That's 4% of their employees participating in this walkout. I don't think that's enough to make Riot sweat yet, but that's a non-negligible amount; and hopefully it will embolden others to join in.

I suppose it depends on who exactly is walking out though. If there's higher level employees and managers or senior engineers then it'll definitely hurt.

Even if it's lower-level staff, it's often them who do the bulk of the operational work - the managers will mostly just be making decisions. Without the more junior staff, no work would actually be done! I think Riot will definitely pay attention to this.

caylen

Publisher - Riot Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
santa monica
Genuinely appreciate y'alls words of support towards the walkout today. We wish it wasn't necessary, but knowing a lot of good people that play games care about the people that want to make games is one of the reasons it's worth standing up for this.

A lot of my fellow coworkers are using #RiotWalkout to share their thoughts if you want to follow that.

Again, thank you all for the kind support.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Will 100 of 1000+ be enough to be an impact? I really hope so, I hope this is enough to cause some changes, at the very least the firing of the COO(?) who played a big part in some of the toxic actions that went on in the studio.
100 of 1000 is a pretty large percentage for this type of thing

Oct 25, 2017
It's also fucking laughable to raise a "higher price" """concern""" in this thread when Riot's sole game is F2P. But again, priorities.

Genuinely appreciate y'alls words of support towards the walkout today. We wish it wasn't necessary, but knowing a lot of good people that play games care about the people that want to make games is one of the reasons it's worth standing up for this.

A lot of my fellow coworkers are using #RiotWalkout to share their thoughts if you want to follow that.

All the best for you all.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Also there's been studies on crunch and humans are just not as effective during a 60 hour workweek as they would be during a 40 hour one (not to mention the longterm benefits and overall industry worker health.)
If that's the case in all situations, then how come the medical industry and residency doctors work 60-80 hours per week as an accepted practice. Don't you think that field would be even more important/liable for doctors, compared to video game industry?

OP
OP
DigitalOp

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
It makes you wonder... If the company sanctions it... then why dont more employees participate?

No worries! I saw the news and was like "How is there no thread on ERA?!"

You all are literally on the forefront of changing the work culture in the tech industry. What you're doing is vastly important and will start the wave of change, please let everyone know this!

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Union = probably higher game prices.

Aside from the fact that this is laughably incorrect and shows a fundamental misunderstanding of how companies like riot make money, it's also says alot about your morals that this is the first thing that popped into your head after reading the horror stories coming from that studio.