• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Los Angeles-based Riot Games employees are preparing for a walkout this afternoon in protest of the company's stance on forced arbitration in what appears to be the first walkout at a major gaming studio. Kotaku will be reporting live from the protest as it develops.

"I'm walking out as a symbolic action to signal to leadership that I care about this issue," said one current employee. "I hope leadership takes the time to seriously listen to the issues."

Since late last year, five current and former Riot Games employees have filed lawsuits against the League of Legends publisher alleging, among other things, that Riot violated the California Equal Pay Act. The lawsuits referenced an eight-month Kotaku investigation in which dozens of current and former employees reported a culture of widespread and endemic sexism at the company, manifesting in Riot's hiring practices, promotion strategies, and wider culture.

In late April, Riot filed a motion to block two of those lawsuits, filed by current employees, from being brought in front of a jury. Riot's lawyer contends that these employees signed arbitration agreements, which waived their rights to a jury trial against the company.

After news of the motion broke, some Riot employees channeled their anger into organizing a walkout. Riot attempted to address that anger in a companywide meeting late last week. One day later, Riot announced it would give incoming employees the ability to opt out of forced arbitration for harassment suits and consider extending that option to current employees "as soon as current litigation is resolved." For many employees, that wasn't enough.

One organizer estimates that 100 employees will be participating in today's walkout, which appears to be the first in game dev history.

In an email, a Riot representative told Kotaku that the company is supporting employees walking out today. He continued, "We have asked all managers to make every accommodation to allow Rioters to participate during the 2-4pm window, including freeing up meeting times. We respect Rioters who choose to walkout today and will not tolerate retaliation of any kind as a result of participating (or not)."\

Their least-desired outcome is not feeling heard. "The worst-case scenario is that leadership does not budge from their current position and continues to maintain that there will be a 'future commitment' about current Rioters," said one walkout organizer.

A small contingent of volunteers from Game Workers Unite, a group trying to organize unions in the games industry, will be in attendance to hand out water and offer medical aid should it be necessary. A representative told Kotaku, "Our industry has seen strikes, work slowdowns, and other forms of direct action over the years, and we encourage workers in the industry to learn that history of folks standing up for themselves and their coworkers. The workers participating in the walkout at Riot today are evoking and building on a deep legacy of worker democracy and power in the tech industries." Riot employees in Dublin will be hosting their own walkout on Tuesday in solidarity.

Kotaku will be reporting from the ground at today's walkout. Check in later for updates.

Man.... for as much threads we've seen on Game Dev treatment, im shocked to see a thread wasn't made for this?.... This is a pretty big moment in regards to workers rights in the Gaming Industry and we're potentially seeing the first movements happening towards wider reform.

Huge event happening here

Source

m_dorian

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
I am glad they are doing it, I hope they can win this because they are right, i think we should support them with encouragement or any other means available.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
The cynic in me looks at the fact that Riot decided to set aside a 2 hour block for the walkout and calls it a break in company hours, not something that's going to effect the company. I'm hoping it gets some message across, and I hope employees continue their protest late into the evening.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Will 100 of 1000+ be enough to be an impact? I really hope so, I hope this is enough to cause some changes, at the very least the firing of the COO(?) who played a big part in some of the toxic actions that went on in the studio.

Oct 25, 2017
One day later, Riot announced it would give incoming employees the ability to opt out of forced arbitration for harassment suits and consider extending that option to current employees "as soon as current litigation is resolved."

"Maybe once we aren't getting sued anymore for breaking the law and being sexist shitbags we MIGHT give you the option to opt out too"
Wow, how generous.
Fuck you

Jun 12, 2018
Not sure if that's enough people. I don't know if I would ever personally participate in a walkout of that few people, since that means it'd be pretty easy for the company to retaliate against such a small amount.

I wish them luck.

Locust Star

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 21, 2019
Great to hear. Let's hope this creates a snowball effect for other developers to walk out and protest the shitty conditions they're working under.

Ms.Galaxy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Let the unionization of tech workers begin, I hope this starts a snowball effect since it's about time.

OP
OP
DigitalOp

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
The cynic in me looks at the fact that Riot decided to set aside a 2 hour block for the walkout and calls it a break in company hours, not something that's going to effect the company. I'm hoping it gets some message across, and I hope employees continue their protest late into the evening.
Will 100 of 1000+ be enough to be an impact? I really hope so, I hope this is enough to cause some changes, at the very least the firing of the COO(?) who played a big part in some of the toxic actions that went on in the studio.

Gotta start somewhere I guess, this is the type of stuff where other devs can look and do the same type of protest all around the world.

pixelpatron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seattle
Stay strong Riot strikers!!! The whole gaming world will be watching. Know that you are representing more than yourselves, developers everywhere will stand and take notice of actions from both sides. Be on the right side of history. Unify your message and the specific changes you want to see rectified. We're with you!

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Good on them but what a massive fucking shame that this needs to happen at all. Everyone protesting today (and those who cannot yet still deal with these toxic work environments) has my undying support. Change needs to come and this is how it starts.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Man.... for as much threads we've seen on Game Dev treatment, im shocked to see a thread wasn't made for this?.... This is a pretty big moment in regards to workers rights in the Gaming Industry and we're potentially seeing the first movements happening towards wider reform.

Huge event happening here

I am always surprised to see how quickly those threads die as well. People care a great deal about the shitty things people in the industry say, but they seem to care a whole lot less when human beings are being treated horrifically.

Riot has had a bunch of threads dedicated to shitty behaviour die particularly quickly...

Anyway, this is DEFINITELY a huge step in the right direction. I hope it catches on and accountability becomes more common place. This is a very, very sick industry. It needs to confront its demons.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I wish them the best.

Union up. And Riot needs to support them by addressing the reason why they're striking, not by telling the management to let them do it.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Gotta start somewhere I guess, this is the type of stuff where other devs can look and do the same type of protest all around the world.
I suppose. Hopefully the execs won't be able to spin this as a long lunch, is my biggest thing. They basically got ahead of this and gave employees the okay to stage their walkout. Here's to desperately hoping this inspires people at the very least.

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome. I hope it doesn't fuck them over and it inspires others to do the same.

ImpendingFoil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Good. The people at Riot have had to put up with a lot of bullshit and it is good to see that they are no longing willing to take it and want to bring larger attention to it.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Good. Let those 100 be the first step on a good environment for game devs.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep. My concern as well. As if they were asking permission to strike or something.

I'm torn. On one hand it might lead to the walkout being hand waved away, but on the other hand if it was banned then the people doing it would lose their jobs. The last thing that should happen is that the people who are fighting for change get the boot from the company. I hope Riot allowing it is more a situation of them acknowledging the walkout, rather than them dismissing it.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
In an email, a Riot representative told Kotaku that the company is supporting employees walking out today. He continued, "We have asked all managers to make every accommodation to allow Rioters to participate during the 2-4pm window, including freeing up meeting times. We respect Rioters who choose to walkout today and will not tolerate retaliation of any kind as a result of participating (or not)."\

This really makes me feel like the company is just going to tolerate this and hope it all goes back to normal afterwards.

Approved/condoned disobedience isn't exactly the kind of thing that forces change.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I'm torn. On one hand it might lead to the walkout being hand waved away, but on the other hand if it was banned then the people doing it would lose their jobs. The last thing that should happen is that the people who are fighting for change get the boot from the company. I hope Riot allowing it is more a situation of them acknowledging the walkout, rather than them dismissing it.
The optics of Riot firing any of these people would be horrific for them given the matters that caused the strike in the first place.

Unless they want to deal with a fucking wildfire, not firing strikers is their only option.

This really makes me feel like the company is just going to tolerate this and hope it all goes back to normal afterwards.

Approved/condoned disobedience isn't exactly the kind of thing that forces change.
Correct.

If the company is not uncomfortable, the strike isn't strong enough yet. Need more bodies out there and a focused message from a single point. Hey, that's what Unions do. Go figure.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
The optics of Riot firing any of these people would be horrific for them given the matters that caused the strike in the first place.

Unless they want to deal with a fucking wildfire, not firing strikers is their only option.
Any retialation would come from HR, poor performance reviews, suddenly being written up for every little thing, etc.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah at some point it will have to be a walkout during primetime work. Once it starts effecting release dates and the money then something will happen one way or the other.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I hope they keep it up. Gotta start somewhere if there's going to be change in the industry.

May 26, 2018

Correct.

Could they harmlessly fire them if the strike went past their allotted time?

And say "we told them they could strike, and they did and everyone was happy. then they got unruly. we had no choice. but we are still looking into changing our internal culture and listening to complaints"

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
But yeah, the statement feels like they will just smile and nod then continue with the bullshit

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Any retialation would come from HR, poor performance reviews, suddenly being written up for every little thing, etc.
Most likely. Hopefully this is something that isn't forgotten about. Because as soon as the proverbial lights are turned off on this story and people forget...shit might get ugly for these participants, slowly, deliberately, over time.

All of this is why they need to Union up.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
This needs the UTMOST VISIBILITY!!!

Game developers NEED to know that they AREN'T POWERLESS!

Regardless of circumstances or result, this is an important Visible step in getting proper protections for game development workers. I sincerely hope it goes well!

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Good on them! They have my full support.

Also: Unionize people! Let's end this tyranny!

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
Like I get the angle that actually risking your job on an unapproved walkout is a tough thing to risk, but otherwise this is going to do very little to sway Riot to change.

The most likely scenario is that the walkout ends, they all go back to work, and Riot continues on as normal. Without the fear of employees actually leaving (and the fear of the PR backlash of trying to reprimand said employees), what pressure is actually being put on Riot? They were fully willing to already eat the bad press for the harassment stories in the first place, and this (walkout but the company approving) doesn't have that same level of bite to it.

Unionizing is the only way forward, I don't think there's really any option left that can threaten the company in any meaningful way.

And considering parts of that article describe the frustration of employees who feel they can't speak out AGAINST the walkout, I feel like there just isn't enough critical mass in the company to get unionized.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Right, this is the new corporate PR strategy for diffusing direct action. A walkout will, unfortunately, accomplish nothing. They need to create a sustained disruption to the business operation.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
A company approved 2 hour walkout seems a bit meek, but given it's the first of it's kind I guess it's a start.