• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

maigret

Jun 28, 2018
Even under normal conditions people drive in TX like they have a death wish. I will never understand it.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Feel bad for the truck drivers who know they can't stop and have to basically choose where to crash.

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
When I'm driving, seems like the window for what I can see ahead of me in my own lane is maybe two cars tops. If the first of those two suddenly stopped moving, not just slowed considerably but literally stopped entirely, I think it would be very difficult to avoid an accident.
Don't tail-gate and you won't have that problem.

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
It's probably black ice. Because once you hit it and if the road is slippery there is no stopping you, the momentum of the speed you were driving at will take over. And on a highway like that where there is no grass just cement walls, it is a recipe for a major disaster.

Black ice is no joke!

Black ice can fuck you up even if you have studded tires and I'm going to bet that no one there has them.

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
I do a lot of interstate travel, most semi drivers just don't give a fuck about cars around them. I got stuck in a massive downpour once at night. I was doing like 30 MPH in the right lane and semis kept passing me doing 60+ throwing even more water on to my windshield, I was legit shook.
As I understand it, Semi's, because of the amount of wheels, height and weight, have little problem during heavy downpours. They might have more of a problem on their hand if they have to drive slow in it.

But yeah, it's a normal thing to have them moving at standard highway speeds while I'm struggling to not hydroplane or see the vehicles in front of me.

Oct 25, 2017
This is a major freeway. I dont believe there is anywhere you can go. Also this is the center barricaded lane which I believe is a HOV lane so there just isnt anywhere to go. It was also like 20 degrees with freezing rain, doubt many people are even thinking about getting out of their car at this point.

Hindsight and all that, but the lane where people were creeping along filming should have stopped and gone to the barrier to pull people over to the "safe" side. Maybe. I just couldn't imagine being stuck in the car with no control over more traffic just slamming into me.

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunuately, h e might have been one of the more luckier ones.
That looked survivable, the bed took all the energy and the cab wasn't really compromised. Being flipped up out of the crumple zone of all those 18 wheelers might have saved them.

Hmm that would be a great scenario, I guess it just looks way worse than it could be.

That rental van that got completely crushed in between other cars, that one looks so bad.

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
Even under normal conditions people drive in TX like they have a death wish. I will never understand it.
Because people are aholes when it comes to driving. For example when it comes to train track crossing I will slow down a bit instead of going full speed and the person behind will honk and pass me as so as we cross the tracks.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, i used to live in NY before i moved down south and you can be chest high deep in snow and you still had to dig your car out and go about your business. It is a whole different type of snow down south, more like ice and frozen road rather than snow and they are ill-equipped to deal with that in terms of salting trucks and snow plows so for the most part everything shuts down. I can't tell you the amount of accidents i see on the highway after a rain fall or iced over road. I thought i was a careful driver and would never end up in that situation until i did through no fault of my own.

Remember that time it snowed once in North Carolina?
e897a04a2811348047527e2fd65bf726.jpg

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
Don't tail-gate and you won't have that problem.
Lol. I definitely don't tailgate, I'm if anything quite an overcautious driver, owing in part to having got my license unusually late in life. Cars coming to an abrupt stop, that's gonna be tough to avoid at highway speeds. This pileup isn't all a bunch of tailgaters.

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Lol. I definitely don't tailgate, I'm if anything quite an overcautious driver, owing in part to having got my license unusually late in life. Cars coming to an abrupt stop, that's gonna be tough to avoid at highway speeds. This pileup isn't all a bunch of tailgaters.
This is what you said: "When I'm driving, seems like the window for what I can see ahead of me in my own lane is maybe two cars tops."

You are following too closely.

I bet it started because people follow too closely (especially given the conditions) when driving at highway speeds.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
I'm normally a pretty fast driver on highways, but I don't fuck around with snow/ice. If I don't feel like I have 100% control or 100% stopping time, I'm not driving at 100% speed.

Even here in MA there's an uptick in bad accidents in the winter weather. And lots of people refuse to turn on their lights for whatever reason.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
We literally don't. We don't salt the roads or anything like that. It's easier to just shut down. Hell, it's supposed to get down into the teens where I'm at on Monday, with snow. Shit's straight up gonna close.
as it should.

I can't wait to see the videos of some new yorker and bonstonian that the news found and they'll be like "i DoNt KnOw WhAt ThE bIg DeAl is, iTs JuSt a LiTtLe SnOw/IcE tHiS iS NuThIn'"
completely ignoring that we dont keep snow plows, or salt/sand trucks and no one has snow tires or chains. Just fucking annoying, i mean they're in this thread too.

Tya

Oct 30, 2017
Why are they just slamming into them? Don't they see at all the cars infront or is it that fucking slippery? If it is why keep going at those speeds...?

The road was covered in black ice. People obviously didn't realize how bad it was until it was too late.

Look at how much the tires are spinning on the car next to the camera at around the :30 mark in this video.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
I'm normally a pretty fast driver on highways, but I don't fuck around with snow/ice. If I don't feel like I have 100% control or 100% stopping time, I'm not driving at 100% speed.

Even here in MA there's an uptick in bad accidents in the winter weather. And lots of people refuse to turn on their lights for whatever reason.
That snow from earlier this week knocked about 4-5 cars off the road for my 30 minute commute back home. I Iust bought new tires, so I've been driving a bit faster, but generally will stay in my lane and ride it out.

Had some idiot in a big fan swerving and trying to pass people on the right. Saw him lose control and correct himself, but was right back at it within seconds.

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
This would be nice but often as soon as there is more than a car's distance between you, someone else will slot right in and you're right back where you started.
You can just slow down a bit in that case and stay in a slower lane. There is no excuse for consistently following too close. It's called being a defensive driver.

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Not necessarily. For one, on these long Texas highways, black ice can sneak up on you. One stretch might not have it when you all of a sudden pass onto a stretch that does. And since it's black ice, you don't notice it until you're on it and it's too late.
So accidents like this are 100% not preventable and nobody could have done anything to prevent it. Gotcha.

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
Black ice is a bitch. It's much easier to drive in snow, which I had to do like 8 times in the past week here in MA. We don't get black ice too often since our roads are salted to death.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
So accidents like this are 100% not preventable and nobody could have done anything to prevent it. Gotcha.

It's terrifying o_o.

I guess I learned today that the best thing to do if you HAVE to go out, is to take side streets? At least in theory people won't be going over 40 mph...?

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
Why are they just slamming into them? Don't they see at all the cars infront or is it that fucking slippery? If it is why keep going at those speeds...?
A lot of people don't know this or soon forget after they pass the reading part of the drivers test. It takes about 80ft going 30mph for a car to come to a complete stop when you pressed on the brake on a normal day with normal tires and working brakes and the distance increases almost exponentially as the speed increases. Without any traction and grip in the case of rain or snow you are going for a long time before you stop or something stops you like a pileup.

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017
Wow you can see a man get up after the white truck gets demolished at :28 secs in, hopefully he is ok.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean...I get that this isnt "normal" weather for the Texas area but like damn...does nobody have any common sense? There is not having experience driving in inclement weather like this and then there is just being ignorant and trying to defy the laws of physics. It's so senseless that this happened on this scale.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
It's terrifying o_o.

I guess I learned today that the best thing to do if you HAVE to go out, is to take side streets? At least in theory people won't be going over 40 mph...?
Pretty much. Tons of people in vehicles think they are immortal and don't know how to drive defensively.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
What are you saying about the preventability of this accident then?
I'm saying that you can be careful, but in conditions like that some thing are just out of your control. The best option is to not go out in these conditions, but we live in a state where the weather changes rapidly and in a crazy manner and this stuff can literally happen while you're out driving. Of course driving safe will help, but if there's a slick patch and you spin out, the next car would have to be pretty far back and not have to make quick adjustments themselves to compensate. It's a shit situation no matter what.

pizoxuat

Jan 12, 2018
You can just slow down a bit in that case and stay in a slower lane. There is no excuse for consistently following too close. It's called being a defensive driver.

This is the ideal, but as someone who learned to drive in DFW, there's not really such a thing as a slower lane and people absolutely will keep slotting in every time you try to create space. It's near impossible to effectively be a defensive driver when everyone around you drives as aggressively as people in DFW do, and driving instructors there will tell you the same thing. The best thing to do in these conditions is stay home.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
Feel bad for the truck drivers who know they can't stop and have to basically choose where to crash.
Semi drivers in my experience are the most irresponsible people on the road when the conditions are worst. The will pass you at probably twice the safe speed during the worst rainstorms or snowstorms, blowing crazy amounts of water or snow at you when you can already barely see what's ahead of you. It's pretty much homicidal behavior, and I doubt they are not aware of it.

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I'm saying that you can be careful, but in conditions like that some thing are just out of your control. The best option is to not go out in these conditions, but we live in a state where the weather changes rapidly and in a crazy manner and this stuff can literally happen while you're out driving. Of course driving safe will help, but if there's a slick patch and you spin out, the next car would have to be pretty far back and not have to make quick adjustments themselves to compensate. It's a shit situation no matter what.
I wonder if there were any reported warnings that there was/could be ice on the roads.

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
This is the ideal, but as someone who learned to drive in DFW, there's not really such a thing as a slower lane and people absolutely will keep slotting in every time you try to create space. It's near impossible to effectively be a defensive driver when everyone around you drives as aggressively as people in DFW do, and driving instructors there will tell you the same thing. The best thing to do in these conditions is stay home.
I agree. Also, there need to be steep and enforced fines for driving like that if the government wants to reduce vehicle injuries and deaths.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Folks in this thread who live up north have no concept of living in a state that sees snow and ice once a decade perhaps.

You don't know any better because you literally don't know any better.

I know some folks from Chicago and Toledo who now live in Texas who don't drive on these days.

The joke from King of the Hill wasn't an exaggeration.

Muse98

May 28, 2020
That's the stretch of highway that I drive on my way home from work....drove there a few hours before this happened..people were still driving 80+mph in freezing rain