• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Update
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Five Dead, Dozens injured:

At least five people were killed and dozens were injured after a crash on I-35W southbound near downtown Fort Worth on Thursday morning led to a massive pile-up of vehicles, including multiple 18-wheelers as well as police and MedStar vehicles, officials said.

Fort Worth police confirmed five victims have died. MedStar reported they were pronounced dead on the scene.

Between 75 and 100 vehicles were a part of the roughly mile-long wreckage, and the total number of people who suffered injuries wasn't immediately known as authorities were processing the scene, according to police.

MedStar transported at least 36 people to hospitals, spokesman Matt Zavadsky said. There were several people with critical injuries, he said, and several people with serious injuries.

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Central Texas gets at least one freeze a year, though there isn't always precipitation. We get into the teens and 20's every few years.

Obviously DFW would get it more frequently considering they're further north.

Not necessarily. We have a heat dome due to our population density that affects weather patterns (source I live in dfw)

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
To be fair, Ice is awful everywhere. Up north we just have piles of salt trucks ready to go for any sort of ice and/or snow. Boston area it's exceedingly rare we get any ice on the main roads- the trucks pre-salt and it never has a chance to form. Side roads do get some but you'd be doing like 30 on those and not 80.

No vehicle does well on ice unless you're sporting tire gear that's not legal on most roads.

Sky Chief

Oct 30, 2017
As someone who lived in Texas for five years Texas drivers are terrible and stupid. To compound the issue, it gets so hot in the summer that the roads have to have low tar content so you can't use salt on them.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
This is why I prefer being in a state that has constant snow, rather than rare moments of snow in winter. It's either all or nothing to be safest

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
We get snow here regularly and you still have the annual population of:

"It won't happen to me"
or
"Yeah well, I have a 4WD vehicle now so Im immune to ice"

people causing wrecks each winter. I cannot even imagine how bad it must be in places where people just dont have the experience to realize how bad it is.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
If it's snowy or icy, don't drive at full speed and don't slam your brakes. It's not a 100% foolproof solution, but it seems like one that no one is aware of.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Not necessarily. We have a heat dome due to our population density that affects weather patterns (source I live in dfw)

I'd saying growing up I saw a lot more "snow" in Garland than I ever have in Austin.

Damn.

For those that live there, does Texas have salt trucks? If the weather is supposed to get worse, hopefully they have a plan to handle it.

They do to an extent, but it doesn't help when the rain just washes it all away.

Doctor Doggo

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck. Those pictures are horrifying. I live in the north east and know how to drive in snow. But there isn't really any rules for ice other than just drive slower and slow down sooner (unfortunately there is always some asshole on the road) It doesn't really ice here very often. If anything, we get a rain storm and then temps drop at night and everything turns into a sheet of ice.

PanickyFool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unlike more northern states that frequently get icy conditions, we dont really have the infrastructure to deal with it, especially when it happens right during major rush hour times. Normally they would put salt/sand on the roads to help but that only does so much. I-35 is a fucking mess 24/7. Couple that with the complete ignorance some people have in regards to sleet/icy roads and its a bad time for everyone.

Its supposed to be 19 degrees by tomorrow here in Austin. Schools will probably close or release early today.
You don't need infrastructure. You need tougher licensing laws do these idiots drive at 30mph during bad conditions rather than "going slow" at 70.

Captain_Vyse

Jun 24, 2020
Damn, that's a shame.

Wish people would drive more carefully in winter conditions. Hell, stay home if you can.

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
I moved from Minnesota to Dallas back in the late 90s.. Any tiny amount of ice on the roads meant chaos.. they just do not know how to drive on bad roads. Plus of course they do not have the equipment to pre treat the roads. My thoughts are with everyone involved.. some horrible pictures :(

Castor Archer

Jan 8, 2019
Terrible and horrifying. As a DFW native, ice doesn't mix well with Texas' already terrible drivers. Going 5 over the limit here is considered "slow"

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
GAHAWHWMPBFX7P3PQNGMDUEPVU.jpg

Another view of the tweet in the OP.

Crazy thing, it looks like in the tweet pic the flow of traffic was from right to left, but in reality all of those cars seemed to have spun around the the true flow of traffic is left to right.
Omg, is this in one of those express toll lanes? The space in those is so limited, pile ups like this are one of my biggest fears with those lanes.
For those that live there, does Texas have salt trucks? If the weather is supposed to get worse, hopefully they have a plan to handle it.
We have a very modest amount of salt/sand get put down in key areas like bridges and portions of highways, but we don't have a massive fleet of trucks standing by for days like these.

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
I saw a video on FB of a Fed Ex truck plowing into cars that made me feel sick. I really hope the people were out of the vehicles by that point.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Shit, the Austin pile-up is literally a little over a mile from me.
I go directly next to it in the first 5 minutes or so of my commute. It basically happened when I left my house or shortly before.

Now I'm sitting in my office clear across town waiting for the temperature to get above freezing so I can go back the other way on Parmer.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
People down here can't drive in the rain, and it rains constantly. Winter conditions are completely foreign.

My sisters best friend is one of those people that can't drive in the rain. She has hydroplaned and crashed at least 3 vehicles.

At what point do you realize you can't drive 80mph on the highway in an absolute downpour??

She just goes full tilt no matter what the weather 🤦‍♂️ .

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
When the weather turns is there a run on bread and milk?

As a fellow southerner this mostly a meme now, but some people in the South do that for kicks I think, and there are some that literally buy their food daily and have to get something JUST to make it through like 2-4 days 🤣 .

You're not far from me in the South, so you know how people struggle with like 24 hours of snow.

I had to rush to get my son the other day right when the heavy flurries hit, 40 minute round trip. Stuff got thicc quick. Thankfully I drive a heavy Explorer, but my traction control was lighting up once I was almost back to our house. Other cars were having to stop or running off the road. I made it back fine taking it easy. A lot of small cars and trucks ended up stuck.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
As a fellow southerner this mostly a meme now, but some people in the South do that for kicks I think, and there are some that literally buy their food daily and have to get something JUST to make it through like 2-4 days 🤣 .

You're not far from me in the South, so you know how people struggle with like 24 hours of snow.

I had to rush to get my son the other day right when the heavy flurries hit, 40 minute round trip. Stuff got thicc quick. Thankfully I drive a heavy Explorer, but my traction control was lighting up once I was almost back to our house. Other cars were having to stop or running off the road. I made it back fine taking it easy. A lot of small cars and trucks ended up stuck.
I remember a few years back we had heavy snow for like 3 days and people were trying to get snow chains and shockingly no one stocks them in southern georgia.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, Texas is not prepared for icy conditions (to be fair, no one can drive on ice). Because temps are not consistently low enough even if they *do* salt the roads the night before it usually rains heavily and gets rid of the salt before the freeze/sleet hits.

I35 is doubly bad because of the number of 18 wheelers that drive on it.

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
I will never understand how these pileups can get so massive. I have seen the videos and still don't understand why it seems car after car just plows in at what looks to close to full speed. Sometimes many minutes after the first cars wrecked and they had plenty of time to see the mess and slow down.

I can't speak to Texas here, but when we rarely have like a 30 or 40 or 100 car pileup here in MI, it's because there is a lot of snow coming down and visibility is poor, but people haven't slowed down enough to make up for the visibility. Especially semis and large trucks with a lot of momentum.

Also, some of them around large curves where trees block visibility around the curve until it is too late.

So there's a chain reaction of vehicles seeing the pileup too late to stop as they are going too fast to come to a complete halt. I.E. visibility distance is shorter than stopping distance.

A bunch of snow is kinda like fog where you can't see very far in front of you.

The visibility doesn't look that bad in the pics/videos here, but I could be wrong.

StreetsAhead

Sep 16, 2020
I live near Fort Worth and saw several wrecked cars on my way to work. One pickup truck was on top of a guard rail and had done a 270 degree turn and had apparently caught fire because it was totally singed.

I was low-key agitated that my boss asked me to come in this morning.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
I will never understand how these pileups can get so massive. I have seen the videos and still don't understand why it seems car after car just plows in at what looks to close to full speed. Sometimes many minutes after the first cars wrecked and they had plenty of time to see the mess and slow down.
When I'm driving, seems like the window for what I can see ahead of me in my own lane is maybe two cars tops. If the first of those two suddenly stopped moving, not just slowed considerably but literally stopped entirely, I think it would be very difficult to avoid an accident.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Damn, how much warning do weather people give about not being able to drive properly on icy roads? I'm used to it being from the northeast but I feel like there needs to be more warnings about this, especially as climate change fucks up weather in a variety of directions all over the place.