• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gparan

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
I don't have a lot of platinums but Persona 5 is the one that took the longest where more then a year passed between me finishing the game to me getting the trophy.

Bloodborne was also a real bitch to get. I suck at the souls games and some of the chalice dungeon bosses you had to defeat nearly broke me.

OP
OP
Fahdi

Fahdi

Jun 5, 2018
I trophy hunt so I have a lot of hard or rare ones, or grinded for them. According to PSN profiles my rarest is Warhammer 40,000 Space Marine the online trophies were a massive, massive grind. I actually loved it though, just not that much ha ha.

I liked that game. But it only had one hard trophy besides grindy MP. Finish Act 1 on the hardest difficulty without dying?

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm reading the topic as more of "what did you try for but failed or gave up on" which is a nice, different take then the infinitely done "whats your rarest thing".

First one off the top of my head is Bioshock Infinite. Opinions on the games story and characters aside, the last 20% of the game is a total joke in terms of balance. Fighting ghosts and respawning waves of enemies felt like the game itself was falling apart and was going to hardlock my console any second. The handymen I always felt like I lucked out when I killed them or exhausted all of my resources and just one of them can take down an army of big daddys. Did a few levels on 1999 and just shelved it.

Swords and Soldiers. Kill all Vikings in a Boulder Mode game without killing any of your own - OR, play a stupid minigame and get a dozen pixel perfect jumps. Like just why?

MGS HD Peace Walker. Complete mission 117 to unlock 218 when then unlocks 137 which then unlocks 275 which then...what a travesty of a game actually and Im surprised it wasnt dragged through the mud endlessly for it's almost phone game like game design. Beating multiple metal gears or military vehicles in 10 different colours with different requirements is not fun, tedium at its highest.

Maybe a dozen or so games the require co-op trophies but don't have online co-op.

One series that I sunk probably the most amount of time AND effort into that I DID end up 100%ing is Destiny 1 and 2. The series is textbook levels of game design sins and getting the trophies for them took months at a time. D1 I think I played for nearly 2 months straight while 2 was on and off for a good year. Never again, I pray they don't add more DLC trophies for D2.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
There were two trophies in Super Stardust HD that I could never get: Late Boomer (get 15 bombs) and Shock and Awe (destroy 10 nukes). I don't really remember the details for why they were so hard anymore, but I remember trying countless times and failing

Dec 25, 2018
Kingdom Hearts BBS and Re:CoM PS3.

BBS is fucking bullshit to platinum. I got like 90% of it done but I had to 100% all 3 characters. I spent 8 hours fighting MF with Terra and just gave up. What a shitty platinum.

Now what is so bad well let's see:

27+ command boards, each take 30 mins to probably complete
All arenas with all 3 characters
Defeat mysterious figure 3 times
All commands
All finish commands
All shotlocks
All abilities
All ice cream
All mini games
All races
All keyblade

Basically, it's a huge time waste. It's to me not even a fun platinum.

ReCoM waa LV 99 riku, the playthroughs weren't a problem. Lv 99 riku was. I actually really enjoyed 100%ing Sora and Riku.

Last edited:

Deleted member 24021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'd have the Dark Souls 3 platinum trophy if it wasn't for the covenant items. I don't feel like killing thousands of Silver Knights.

Dec 25, 2018
I spent a good chunk of early 2019 grinding the Kingdom hearts platinum in anticipation for KH3 and it severely tried my patience.

Birth By Sleep's list in particular does everything in its power to waste your time, by 100%ing the game with 3 characters in 3 separate playthroughs, on top of having one of the most bullshit, poorly designed optional bosses in existence.

BBS is easily one of the worst platinums ever. Whoever thought of the requirements were out of their mind.

UshiromiyaEva

Aug 22, 2018
Mortal Kombat X is to my knowledge the rarest PS4 platinum I have. A big part of it is the one trophy tied to winning 10 ranked matches consecutively. Though other things were definitely grindy or out-of-the-way (Getting level 50 in all 5 factions, completing 50 rotating tower types, earning 1000 respect overall in KOTH, and hitting Invasion Bosses 1000 times all come to mind) and if I didn't have such a strong attachment to the game at the time I likely wouldnt've managed it. MK11 is far easier in comparison.

Other than that, I used to be very dedicated to trying to clear games I thought were doable at my level back on 360. I hit 1000 in World at War and stopped when the last 0g trophy was prestige 10, and I definitely hit 1000 on reach (which required Legendary Solo among some uncommon online permutations) but found it difficult to complete challenges tied to the DLC

Unknown

Oct 29, 2017
Binding of Isaac, with all DLCs (rebirth, afterbirth and afterbirth+) has a final trophy for afterbirth+ that requires all in game achievements to be completed, all unlocks, etc.

For example this means completing over 400 in game achievements.

Some of which are insane. Like winning a run (~40 mins) with a character who dies in a single hit, and the crazy 'ultra hard' challenge which is difficult to describe just how crushing it is.

About 6 months ago I finally, finally nailed the last one of these in game achievements - having had the game about 4 years and playing it *a lot*.

Only to find out the game was bugged, as there were a small number of hidden in game achievements only for the limited release retail game which counted to 100% competition and are impossible to get if you started with the digital game :(

It's still 'ultra rare' 0.1%

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
I liked that game. But it only had one hard trophy besides grindy MP. Finish Act 1 on the hardest difficulty without dying?

Yeah it wasn't hard, just grindy like Monster Hunter World. That took me 400 hours...I guess for hard... Hollowknight and Shovel Knight for me. I'm not really good at platformers so these were a real challenge, oh also Divinity Original sin 1 and 2 (I absolutely loved these!)

For loss stories. Vanquish. That challenge mode trophy is impossible for me. It will forever irritate me..... :(

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
MGS V: The Phantom Pain Platinum.

Took me 170 hours to get.
286. But I'll tell you what, I cherish every moment.

I probably worked hardest on Assassin's Creed II. I remember using a guide and a checklist to find the feathers and turning up one short despite all the locations being marked. I had no clue which location I missed it. I ended up playing through a second time and marking off the locations one by one and still came up short. But with a little luck I managed to find it and quickly mopped up the last few I was missing.

Survive 1,000,000 in geometry wars was difficult...but I didn't work nearly as hard as I did finding that damn feather. Additionally, Smile, the last achievement I needed in Geometry Wars 2 was extremely fun to get! It was frustrating, but just the fact that I figured out what they meant by the name was extremely fun for me.

ManOfWar

Jan 6, 2020
Brazil
Gran Turismo 5 was by far the hardest and more time consuming platinum of my entire gallery. AMG and Vettel challenges were crazy hard to master.

OldGamer

Jul 6, 2019
So far, the only trophy I ever gave up on was the "IT" trophy in Uncharted 4. Then again, it was more of a straight NOPE than anything.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Had a heck of a time with Dishonored challenge achievements. So many times restarting the same scenario over and over again.

Oh man I did these this year, I actually knocked out both the PS3 and PS4 Dunwall City Trials at the same time. "By My Hand Alone" and "Daredevil" were awful

Brando

Oct 25, 2017
There's some really great examples in here - GT 5, GTA IV, Hollow Knight, Vanquish, FF XIII, Rock Band series, etc.

I'd also add the Overwatch achievements. Since the game went to role lock, some of these are pretty much impossible without boosting.

The trophy for Baptiste's ultimate is my rarest trophy at 0.51%

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The original inFamous broke me. I had exactly one blast shard missing and no matter what I did I could never find it. I printed out a shard map and explored the entire game world crossing shards out as I passed their locations and I still couldn't ever find it.

Still never got that plat. At least the sequel made the radar way better.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The one i tried the hardest is FF10 i failed but i got the thunder trophy and chocobo one these ones are definitely the most hard trophies i've ever got.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Xcom on 360, god don't even remember how long it took.

My fails I might give anoth chance, hundreds of hours in already.
I tried really hard to Platinum Yakuza 0 and then took a Mahjong tiles to the face.

Stardew Valley too, but that shooter mini-game is just too much for me to do without dying.

Spazgadget

Oct 25, 2017
Demon's Souls.

Played the game through 3 times, got all the weapons and spells...and then effed up my World Tendency trophy because I killed certain NPCs before I was supposed to (therefore significantly changing my WT for the worse). Despite it being a fantastic game, could not stomach the idea of doing another number of playthroughs to get my World Tendency back to where I needed to get it for the trophy.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Stardew Valley too, but that shooter mini-game is just too much for me to do without dying.

Argh I knew I shouldnt have come into this thread, I'm being re-triggered lol. Fector's Challenge is the last trophy I need for platinum, I just cant be bothered to try it for hours on end when there is so much jank and randomness involved. It's like trying to beat an especially crappy NES game without dying

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
ReCoM waa LV 99 riku, the playthroughs weren't a problem. Lv 99 riku was. I actually really enjoyed 100%ing Sora and Riku.

99 Riku drove me mad. I had to do it in short 30-40 minute bursts while listening to podcasts.

Some other Grindy / difficult achievements.

Plat Final Fantasy X: 60% of my playtime on this game was grinding the sphere grid,, out of an 80 hour completion time.

Uncharted Brutal Playthrough: This mode was straight up broken / untested in certain sections of the game.

Crash Trilogy: Relic Time Trials was something else.

Tomb Raider Definitive Edition: Level 60 Multiplayer Grind, also required short bursts and podcasts.

Animismus

Oct 27, 2017
Demon souls with that god forsaken update system that relied so much on RNG... I eventually gave up and just duplicated the "rock" using a bug, like most people did.

HanSoloCup

Oct 27, 2017
Richmond, VA
Destiny 1 on PS4. To get the Flawless Raider trophy you had to complete a raid with no one on your team dying once. We eventually did it by cutting the number in our team from 6 to 3 so that we would have less of a chance of stupid/random deaths. That was a fun memory.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
I am never getting the platinum for Monster Hunter World, lol. The golden crown trophies are ridiculous, and as much as I love the game, I don't care enough to do that trophy (and I loveeeee the game).

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
never got the mgsv platinum even though i am like 95% complete

have to s-rank all the missions + get every objective

the eavesdrop objectives kept glitching out on me

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
99 Riku drove me mad. I had to do it in short 30-40 minute bursts while listening to podcasts.

Some other Grindy / difficult achievements.

Plat Final Fantasy X: 60% of my playtime on this game was grinding the sphere grid,, out of an 80 hour completion time.

Uncharted Brutal Playthrough: This mode was straight up broken / untested in certain sections of the game.

Crash Trilogy: Relic Time Trials was something else.

Tomb Raider Definitive Edition: Level 60 Multiplayer Grind, also required short bursts and podcasts.
yeah i gave up on FFX trying to complete the grid and i remember i was stealing a rare item from ghosts in zanarkand, to face a monster and that pissed me off

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
yeah i gave up on FFX trying to complete the grid and i remember i was stealing a rare item from ghosts in zanarkand, to face a monster and that pissed me off

I didn't even do the true grind most people do (Luck to 255) for Dark Aeons + Penance. I just cheesed them using Yojimbo. getting Luck to 255 would have easily added 8+ hours to my playtime.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
OP has my respect, Wipeout has some insane trophies. I think my rarest was one of the Zone trophies.

Of my 20-something Platinums...

Most challenging online: Rainbow Six Siege. Requires huge amounts of luck and persistence. Last trophy I got was killing someone with a wall breach.

Most enjoyable online: The Division

This one was so relaxing, walking around a wintery New York, casual co-op with randoms, with the excitement of trolls in the Dark Zone. Plus the endgame DLC were good fun too. Last trophy I got was Dark Zone related I think.

Most enjoyable offline: The Last of Us + Splinter Cell: Blacklist

You know a game is good if it can withstand being played more than twice without getting boring. Each playthrough was a different experience requiring a different playstyle.

Most challenging offline: Uncharted 3 or 4. Ya'll know what I'm talking about here, the insane hardest difficulty trophies. Yes, these games are more challenging than the platinums for Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3, because at least in From Software's games you can get help from strangers!

OldGamer

Jul 6, 2019
Final Fantasy XV just took a very long time as well, between the DLC, Comrades (Comrades having a joint and solo trophy list), and Adamantoise farming, plus the 80% document reading trophy, of which some is missable. Never been so happy as to regain all that lost harddrive space.

Lvl 99 Riku in ReCoM sucked. Was one of the few I just couldn't do in one sitting. This is on top of the card collection RNG that is necessary and some were flat out ultra rare.

Uncharted 1-3 were difficult due to the broken Brutal difficulty, as were the speedruns in 1-2. Doughnut Drake helped ease the tedium, as did some major speedrunning glitches that break the first two games in half.

Those two are on my to-do backlog and seeing them here, well, makes just a bit apprehensive.

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
Final Fantasy XV just took a very long time as well, between the DLC, Comrades (Comrades having a joint and solo trophy list), and Adamantoise farming, plus the 80% document reading trophy, of which some is missable. Never been so happy as to regain all that lost harddrive space.

Lvl 99 Riku in ReCoM sucked. Was one of the few I just couldn't do in one sitting. This is on top of the card collection RNG that is necessary and some were flat out ultra rare.

Uncharted 1-3 were difficult due to the broken Brutal difficulty, as were the speedruns in 1-2. Doughnut Drake helped ease the tedium, as did some major speedrunning glitches that break the first two games in half.

Those two are on my to-do backlog and seeing them here, well, makes just a bit apprehensive.

If you had the patience for the 99 Riku, you can do both no problem. I found Riku worse than both.

My Uncharted 1 speedrun was wild... I literally finished it with 30 seconds left on the clock. I didn't think I was going to make it going into the last level.

Oct 26, 2017
Mirror's Edge on ps3. Pretty sure platiunuming that game prompted my hair loss.

definite shout out to OP tho, fucking hell Wipeout HD trophies were insanely hard that was a platinum I gave up on

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
TrueAchievements says that TRON: Runner is my most rare completion, with Super Time Force after that.

I will say that as far as frustration goes, Mile High Club in MW was the worst. I ran that thing over and over and never pulled it off in the timeframe given.

Also for collectibles, a note to devs: After the ones in the critical path, every single one of us is using a guide, which takes the fun out of it. Make the trophy/achievement for "Collect 20 Widgets" and then award a costume etc for getting all of them. Everybody wins! These days I don't even try for collectibles because reading a text list while I walk around in a game to check off a list is not a good use of my time.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Dark Souls 3 nearly broke me, keeping track of everything in my head so I could get gestures, rings, etc. was pretty hard.

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
Metal Gear Rising, Bayonetta, and Vanquish are my hardest three for sure. The Platinum trifecta.
These were tough, though they were also a hoot (especially if you were willing to use the wigs in Revengeance)

I forget: did Vanquish have an achievement for beating Challenge 6? That was the real business

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Resistance 2 10,000 mp kills trophy.

Got to like 4k and calculated I probably had like another fucking 100 hours or whatever and gave up.

The hell was up with that trophy Insomniac?

I got it.

10,000 kills exactly and then died out of the match so that I was left with that exact figure. Never played again.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Resistance 2 10,000 mp kills trophy.

Got to like 4k and calculated I probably had like another fucking 100 hours or whatever and gave up.

The hell was up with that trophy Insomniac?
When I was a tester, once I got this trophy whose requirements were to kill 1 million enemies. I remember pulling the producer aside and was like, "Hey, do you know how much one million actually is? This is untestable." And then he changed it. It was one of my proudest QA moments.

Dec 25, 2018
KH BBS is garbage tier, it's way worse than ReCoM imo because you have to be much more conscious. ReCoM has RNG manipulation, but BBS requires you to play like 21+ command boards and a whole other load of garbage. You have to 100% 3 characters, which pretty much all have the same commands except for a few exceptions.

easily could take 100+ hours because you need to do it on critical and decide to replay all 3 characters on beginner or continue critical mode for platinum.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Bloodborne was a bit challenging with the Chalice Dungeon boss.
Killing Floor 2, only time I ever beat a level on Hell on Earth difficulty. That was a challenge and a half!
Strange Brigade's hardest difficulty was bad when one of the bosses spawn a bunch of armored bull enemies. It was like the third to last boss that was the hardest. Worth it though.

ToKre

Mar 11, 2018
The Witcher 3 - i 100%'d the base game and hearts of stone (2 playthroughs each) it was fun for me but there were some that were a pain like:
but the 50 crossbow headshot kills one is the worst by far i think it didn't register all of them so you will need to get alot more then 50.
-

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin
Learn all sorceries , miracles , pyromancies and hexes its a mess with the DLCs there were so god damn many to learn.

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rock band 2. That trophy that you have to play all songs foor almost 6 hours straight without pausing or losing is a fucking nightmare.

TigerBrownie

One Winged Slayer
May 9, 2018
KH Re: CoM on PS3.

I had way too much free time to kill back then. Had to beat Re: Chain of Memories on every difficulty, get to level 99 two times (took 12 hours), and spent ~40 despair filled hours of grinding for all of those stupid enemy cards. I swear one time it took 5 hours for the correct enemy card to spawn. The RNG was killing me.

Never again.