• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
PSP marketing was a mess.

169963431_360fb438bb_z_zpsa6c112f8.jpg
I lived in SF when these ads were out, and graffiti artists tagged them all up top to bottom with the word FONY.

Edit: Also want to add, Sony apparently paid for the right to spray paint logos and advertisements on the sidewalks in downtown SF, so graffiti artists may have been mad about that rather than this specific racist ad.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
I lived in SF when these ads were out, and graffiti artists tagged them all up top to bottom with the word FONY.

Edit: Also want to add, Sony apparently paid for the right to spray paint logos and advertisements on the sidewalks in downtown SF, so graffiti artists may have been mad about that rather than this specific racist ad.
Those ads only came out in the Netherlands though?

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody using the "so nobody could steal them" as a straight answer is nuts. I don't know if the replies to that are serious or like in on the ruse

They did it to objectify women because they thought that was cool thing to do in the videogame industry. The "so nobody could steal" them is the pretense/excuse to objectify women. If it was about device security they could have hired men as well, or had them attached to a fixed object, y'know the normal thing to do. This was to march booth babes around and into private rooms where groups of men would play a game a few feet from an attractive model while they objectified her, because they thought that's a cool way to promote a new videogame system. I'm sure there were plenty of gawking guys who made sexualized comments the whole time, which was the goal.

Oct 25, 2017
Hey I also rewatched this video today because it was on gb's site today.

Always do a good job of showing off weird shit videogame companies do

Deleted member 40853

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 9, 2018
This was such a weird time, it's really difficult to try to think about this stuff in 2021 because it just seems so obviously offensive and juvenile. The whole industry and especially video game media at the time had this strange misanthropic energy about everything, like everyone agreed that video games are for nerds and losers only so of course they would be completely floored by seeing an attractive woman since attractive women aren't interested in guys who play video games.

It's also really recent that people have tamped down on needing to perform their straightness at all times and constantly signal to other guys how thirsty they are for attractive women. There was definitely a lot of "you must be gay if you don't like the booth babes. hot chicks rule!"

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
'Women as accessories'.. I don't know how this type of advertising was given the go ahead, even 10 years ago.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
I cringed back then and I'm cringing now.

And sure, the little chain is so that they wouldn't be stolen. The using people instead of objects to chain them is odd. Using only attractive women instead of just random people is sexist.

A Grizzly Bear

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I actually have a similar shirt. NIntendo of Canada provided a variant to EB Games staff alongside the human demo stations. I actually ended up working with one of the marketers who came up with the idea a few years ago. She said that Reggie wasn't happy that Nintendo of Canada pushed it down to the stores because of the children. We did have a lot of awkward moments with parents asking what the hell was going on.

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I actually have a similar shirt. NIntendo of Canada provided a variant to EB Games staff alongside the human demo stations. I actually ended up working with one of the marketers who came up with the idea a few years ago. She said that Reggie wasn't happy that Nintendo of Canada pushed it down to the stores because of the children. We did have a lot of awkward moments with parents asking what the hell was going on.
touching is good was used in a lot of the advertisement for the US as well

LetsEatSnacks

Oct 18, 2020
United States
This was such a weird time, it's really difficult to try to think about this stuff in 2021 because it just seems so obviously offensive and juvenile. The whole industry and especially video game media at the time had this strange misanthropic energy about everything, like everyone agreed that video games are for nerds and losers only so of course they would be completely floored by seeing an attractive woman since attractive women aren't interested in guys who play video games.

It's also really recent that people have tamped down on needing to perform their straightness at all times and constantly signal to other guys how thirsty they are for attractive women. There was definitely a lot of "you must be gay if you don't like the booth babes. hot chicks rule!"

I mentioned that I attended E3 in the mid-2000s but my feeling then was definitely that there was some real "pageantry" to the whole experience that only appealed to a select few that went (*cough* Gamestop employees *cough*). Out of my entire publication's presence, nobody really seemed to care about the "booth babes" but I and a few others were instructed to take pictures because it generated a ton of clicks (more than any editorials or game coverage we would do). I felt super sleezy at the time taking those pictures but I tried to make it a point to chat with the girls I'd photograph to make sure they were cool with me taking the pictures and asking how the show was going for them. The general feedback I got was that they were actually having a good time and were paid well compared to other trade shows they worked at. Moreover, I heard multiple times that the guys at E3 were so much more polite than those at car shows and similar trade shows.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that while the industry/ E3 was (still is?) so regressive and stupid, there were definitely women who enjoyed what they were doing.