• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
https://www.cnn.com/style/article/psy-gangnam-style-10-years-intl-hnk/index.html

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bZkp7q19f0

On July 15, 2012, South Korean singer and rapper Psy broke onto the global music scene with a bright blue tuxedo, an unforgettable horse-riding dance and an energetic beat that dropped to the catchy lyric, "Oppan Gangnam style."
"Gangnam Style" soon went viral, making waves around the world. The song hijacked the airwaves, the music video flooded Facebook timelines and Psy's slicked-back hair and sunglasses showed up on American late-night shows. The song debuted on the Billboard Hot 100 in September, before climbing to number 2 weeks later. It also became the first video to hit 1 billion views on YouTube.

Psy, who was already popular in his home country but barely known globally, quickly became one of the most recognizable artists in the world. Within a year, he had broken three Guinness World Records and was performing at New York's Madison Square Garden with Madonna. For the then-35-year-old from Seoul, the whirlwind success was something he could have never imagined.
In an interview ahead of the song's 10-year anniversary, he compares that period of his life to celebrating a birthday. "On the day before, you're excited in anticipation," he tells CNN from the Seoul headquarters of P-Nation, the record label and entertainment agency he founded in 2018. "And then on the day of ... it's all a little wild and crazy."
d0d.gif

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly one of the rare instances that made me go "Huh? It's only been THAT long?" Feels longer ago...

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
My favorite memory of this song is from the old site when someone posted an article about someone dying doing this dance (i think?), and someone commented "His funeral will be Open Coffin Style"

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I remember seeing the video when it had like 100,000 views and showing my coworkers who were like "this is stupid as hell". Then it blew up and everyone was in on the meme and I just sat there thinking, "oh ok thanks assholes" haha.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I felt really old when Gagnam Style was a thing. I just didn't get it at all.

Now I feel really really old, because that was a decade ago.

Great.

Pocky4Th3Win

Oct 31, 2017
Minnesota
Considering this year will be my 10 year anniversary and I remember it being at my wedding, that makes sense and holy shit does it feel older than that...

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Yeah, Stuff from 2010-2014 being in that 8-12 years ago range is the stuff that hurts me the most. This feels recent in a lot of ways.
Though on the other hand, it does also feel like a long time ago. Probably because the meme was old so quickly even back then. But hey, we can't deny the role this song played in helping popularize K-Pop in the West. It was already happening of course but this was a HUGE boost for sure.

New002

Oct 25, 2017
I remember seeing the video when it had like 100,000 views and showing my coworkers who were like "this is stupid as hell". Then it blew up and everyone was in on the meme and I just sat there thinking, "oh ok thanks assholes" haha.

Haha I've had the exact same experience with my friend group and Game of Thrones and Flight of the Conchords for example. Feels bad man :(

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Psy has so many bangers.

www.youtube.com

PSY - DADDY(feat. CL of 2NE1) M/V

Available now on iTunes @ http://smarturl.it/PSY_7THALBUMAvailable on Spotify @ http://sptfy.com/PSY_7THALBUM#PSY #DADDY #나팔바지 #NapalBaji #7thALBUM #7집싸이다Mor...

And this thread led to me discovering that he just released his first new album in five years, so I'll be listening to that today.

www.youtube.com

PSY - 'That That (prod. & feat. SUGA of BTS)' MV

PSY - 'That That (prod. & feat. SUGA of BTS)' MV MV Executive Producer: P NATION MV Director: 최용석 @LUMPENSComposed by: SUGA, PSY, EL CAPITXNLyrics by: PSY, S...

EroticSushi

Oct 25, 2017
Psy has so many bangers.

www.youtube.com

PSY - DADDY(feat. CL of 2NE1) M/V

Available now on iTunes @ http://smarturl.it/PSY_7THALBUMAvailable on Spotify @ http://sptfy.com/PSY_7THALBUM#PSY #DADDY #나팔바지 #NapalBaji #7thALBUM #7집싸이다Mor...

And this thread led to me discovering that he just released his first new album in five years, so I'll be listening to that today.

www.youtube.com

PSY - 'That That (prod. & feat. SUGA of BTS)' MV

PSY - 'That That (prod. & feat. SUGA of BTS)' MV MV Executive Producer: P NATION MV Director: 최용석 @LUMPENSComposed by: SUGA, PSY, EL CAPITXNLyrics by: PSY, S...
Yeah his recent song with SUGA was great. Glad to see that he was still killing it.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
It didn't really click until I read the article, but "Gangnam Style" really did do a lot to boost Korean music in general in the US. You wouldn't have had people talking about K-pop like it's completely normal ten years ago.

As for it being ten years old, not a huge shock. I should check out PSY's other stuff posted here.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Another fun fact, obscure 80's song "Never Gonna Give You Up" by Rick Astley sits at over 1.2 billion views.

No one knows why....

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
a lot of people i knew got married when this dropped.

people were getting it in.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
You can sustain conversations with kids that weren't alive when that song was a thing

sixteen-bit

Oct 30, 2017
My first exposure to this was a parody called Gundam Style, which had Gundam helments pasted over everyone's face.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I work in an East Asian university department and it's crazy how much Korean Studies has grown in the last decade. We used to have to support them with money to allow them to continue existing and now they are absolutely flourishing. Soft power is such a strong asset and Korean music is a big part of it.

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
I remember my teachers taking time out of the school day in high school to show us the music video. It was that viral.

atomsk

Oct 28, 2017
I feel extra old because I remember when Psy was the weird dude in the other YG Family music videos circa 2004/05-ish

I used to watch a lot of Korean Music Countdown on the International Channel (which rebranded to AZN, then shut down)