• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Apr 21, 2018
I know Hyperstone Heist isn't as beloved as Turtles in Time, but it would be nice to have on this just as something that REALLY differentiates itself from the lineup of the SNES Classic.

n.
Yeah, why not. As long as it's not the usual suspects.

Nonetheless, the Megadrive mini is already very different from Snes because they didn't add (yet?) SFII, Ghoul's and Ghost already at Nintendo.

That's the magic of Sega VS Nintendo wars . Nintendo had the real capcom, Square, Rare ? Sega the shadow killers Treasure, Climax, Nex Tech.

For the moment, Sega didn't bring the Mario variation called Kid Chameleon (Sonic with its vertical level design offers different sensations).

SNES mini has Final Fantasy, Zelda, the Megadrive mini completely different universes with Shining Force, Landstalker (probably Phantasy Star) and Rent a Hero in Japan.

Nintendo presents Kirby games, punch out, Sega responds with Schmups, BTA.

The star Fox counter part of the megadrive could be Virtua Racing...

Even the same franchises have their own personality like Castlevania 4 and Bloodlines.

16 bits era is the perfect incarnation of the why not both gif :)

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I distinctly recall Alisia Dragoon being listed in a Game Arts survey when asking for games the fans want ported to PC. I do not think it is off the table completely, but I am not actively expecting it.

Exactly. We also have enough Sonic, SOR, Shinobi, let's enjoy fresh blood like Canon Fodder, Lost Vikings, Shadowrun, Flashback, Worms, Devil's Crush, Populous, i would even be open for more questionable games like Chakan, or Zombie at my instead of the usual Vectorman, Kid Cha

retroman Don't give me hope for Dragon's, moda fukka ;)
I do agree that now is the time to bring in unexpected and hard to license games, but this is going to be the ultimate representation of the console ever. They should properly respect it's legacy by including as many of their top quality and genre defining classic games as possible, especially if they already own those games. Shinobi III with no The Revenge of Shinobi would be like the Super Nintendo Classic having Yoshi's Island, but no Super Mario World. It is just not right.

40 games is a lot too. There are going to be some unfortunate exclusions no matter what, but SEGA needs to establish their biggest franchises in here as much as possible. This is going to reach a far larger audience than any of their past ports outside of maybe Sonic Mega Collection.

Devil's Crush would be perfect for a TurboGrafx-16 Mini though. I doubt that will ever happen, but if even half as much love is being put into it as the Genesis Mini is then I will be there day one for sure!

Dec 2, 2017
That's great but a little sour the West isn't getting MUSHA, that's more desirable than most stuff on there to me. Also thought it was odd they went TF 3 instead of 4.

But still, pretty happy with how this thing is shaping up. Sega's been telling influencers we haven't seen anything yet, but not sure what's left that's going to blow minds.

Apr 21, 2018
I distinctly recall Alisia Dragoon being listed in a Game Arts survey when asking for games the fans want ported to PC. I do not think it is off the table completely, but I am not actively expecting it.

I do agree that now is the time to bring in unexpected and hard to license games, but this is going to be the ultimate representation of the console ever. They should properly respect it's legacy by including as many of their top quality and genre defining classic games as possible, especially if they already own those games. Shinobi III with no The Revenge of Shinobi would be like the Super Nintendo Classic having Yoshi's Island, but no Super Mario World. It is just not right.

40 games is a lot too. There are going to be some unfortunate exclusions no matter what, but SEGA needs to establish their biggest franchises in here as much as possible. This is going to reach a far larger audience than any of their past ports outside of maybe Sonic Mega Collection.

Devil's Crush would be perfect for a TurboGrafx-16 Mini though. I doubt that will ever happen, but if even half as much love is being put into it as the Genesis Mini is then I will be there day one for sure!
Interesting but we'll never agree.

One solution then.
Sega fans need the entire library downloadable officially on the mini :). (4 dollars ?)
I'll buy 50 additional games. ;)

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I remember renting Alisia Dragoon several times when I first got my Mega Drive, when I was about 6. I liked it, but I was young enough that I didn't get through much of it because I remember it being quite hard? I've never really thought about it until now. It'd be trippy to play it again.

How does Gainax own the IP for it if Game Arts developed it? I would've expected it to go to Enix then S-E.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
I'm just going to suggest games that I think have little to no chance of appearing on the Genesis/MD mini.

Adventures of Batman & Robin
Alisia Dragoon
Battle Mania 2
Chelnov / Atomic Runner
El Viento
Puggsy
Eliminate Down
Gauntlet IV
Gynoug / Wings of Wor
Mega Turrican
Panorama Cotton
Shadowrun

If even one of these happens to show up, I'll be ecstatic, never mind two or more.
Didn't M2 make Gauntlet IV for the Sega Genesis?
Shinobi III with no The Revenge of Shinobi would be like the Super Nintendo Classic having Yoshi's Island, but no Super Mario World. It is just not right.

Exactly.

I think it has a very good chance of being included just because Yuzo Koshiro did the soundtrack and it is such a legendary game. It's one of the main reasons I wanted a Sega Genesis as a 14 year old.

The same goes for Streets Of Rage.
Interesting but we'll never agree.

One solution then.
Sega fans need the entire library downloadable officially on the mini :). (4 dollars ?)
I'll buy 50 additional games. ;)
How cool would that be if after they announce all 40 games, they come out and say "Alright, here's 10 more to make it an even 50. See you September 19th."

Lol

Apr 21, 2018
Didn't M2 make Gauntlet IV for the Sega Genesis?

Exactly.

I think it has a very good chance of being included just because Yuzo Koshiro did the soundtrack and it is such a legendary game. It's one of the main reasons I wanted a Sega Genesis as a 14 year old.

The same goes for Streets Of Rage.

How cool would that be if after they announce all 40 games, they come out and say "Alright, here's 10 more to make it an even 50. See you September 19th."

Lol
Sega is crazy :)

Seriously, we need Sega Stores. Why not on Sega mini ? Many are hacking their Snes mini, i'm sure many of them would pay for official new games on it. :)

Last edited:

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
I'm just going to suggest games that I think have little to no chance of appearing on the Genesis/MD mini.

Adventures of Batman & Robin
Alisia Dragoon
Battle Mania 2
Chelnov / Atomic Runner
El Viento
Puggsy
Eliminate Down
Gauntlet IV
Gynoug / Wings of Wor
Mega Turrican
Panorama Cotton
Shadowrun

If even one of these happens to show up, I'll be ecstatic, never mind two or more.
I would legit cry if I was able to play Alisia Dragoon again.

Apr 21, 2018
andymcc
Yuyu Hakusho could make it in Japan.

7th in Famitsu poll (so the next on the list after Musha and Bloodline).

Some TREASURE's staff work at M2.
Sega must pay the licence ? It coukd be bankable anyway since the game is over 150 dollars in Japan...

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
I.....I think Streets of Rage 1 has the best soundtrack out of the entire series.

Does that make me a bad person? Because Attack The Barbarian is an all time favorite tune of mine, no question.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
What is this Famitsu poll and what games made it to this poll?
I.....I think Streets of Rage 1 has the best soundtrack out of the entire series.

Does that make me a bad person? Because Attack The Barbarian is an all time favorite tune of mine, no question.
It doesn't make you a bad person; it does however make you a person of very fine, exquisite taste.

Apr 21, 2018
What is this Famitsu poll and what games made it to this poll?

It doesn't make you a bad person; it does however make you a person of very fine, exquisite taste.
It was a Poll fromFamitsu. They did it for fun (writers, editors) but obviously Sega listened to them:

1.) Shining Force: The Legacy of great Intention

2.) Landstalker: The Treasures of King Nole

3.) Gunstar Heroes

4.) MUSHA

5.) Shining in the Darkness

5.) Vampire Killer

7.) Advanced Daisenryaku: Doitsu Dengeki Sakusen

7.) Contra: The Hard Corps

7.) Sonic the Hedgehog

7.) Phantasy Star II

7.) Yu Yu Hakusho: Makyo Toitsusen

Read more at https://www.siliconera.com/2018/04/...wishlist-mega-drive-mini/#Z75lRPCZBDwOmHBk.99

Another poll of Japanese gamers in 2016 could give us clues:

10. Outrun - 45 votes

9. Altered Beast - 57 votes

8. Powerball - 75 votes

7. Landstalker - 84 votes

6. Ghosts 'n Goblins - 93 votes

5. Gunstar Heroes - 105 votes

4. Streets of Rage - 123 votes

3. Puyo Puyo - 168 votes

2. Shining Force: The Legacy of Great Intention - 201 votes

1. Sonic the Hedgehog - 371 votes
("Most memorable game")

In both polls, you can find already announced games for the mini (there are almost 1000 genesis games, Musha Aleste, Vampire Killer, Hard Corps, power ball cannot be blind luck)

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
It was a Poll fromFamitsu. They did it for fun (writers, editors) but obviously Sega listened to them:

1.) Shining Force: The Legacy of great Intention

2.) Landstalker: The Treasures of King Nole

3.) Gunstar Heroes

4.) MUSHA

5.) Shining in the Darkness

5.) Vampire Killer

7.) Advanced Daisenryaku: Doitsu Dengeki Sakusen

7.) Contra: The Hard Corps

7.) Sonic the Hedgehog

7.) Phantasy Star II

7.) Yu Yu Hakusho: Makyo Toitsusen

Read more at https://www.siliconera.com/2018/04/...wishlist-mega-drive-mini/#Z75lRPCZBDwOmHBk.99

Another poll of Japanese gamers in 2016 could give us clues:

10. Outrun - 45 votes

9. Altered Beast - 57 votes

8. Powerball - 75 votes

7. Landstalker - 84 votes

6. Ghosts 'n Goblins - 93 votes

5. Gunstar Heroes - 105 votes

4. Streets of Rage - 123 votes

3. Puyo Puyo - 168 votes

2. Shining Force: The Legacy of Great Intention - 201 votes

1. Sonic the Hedgehog - 371 votes
("Most memorable game")

In both polls, you can find already announced games for the mini (there are almost 1000 genesis games, Musha Aleste, Vampire Killer, Hard Corps, power ball cannot be blind luck)
That's very interesting!

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Man... such a great list. I just hope you're able to pull the ROMs off it like you can with the NES Classic so I can use them on my Mega SG, which I do for my NES Classic ROMS on my AVS, and my SEGA Collection ROM from Steam that I currently use on my Mega SG (unfortunate you seemingly can't really do it with the games on the SNES Classic).

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
What did surprise me is that the Mickey Mouse games actually made it on here. I didn't think we would see any licensed games, especially if it involves Disney. That's the one thing giving me hope that Aladdin is included. It really should be. It was one of the highest selling Genesis games of all time.

The thing to remember with the Illusion games and certain others, like a lot of the early Sega-made Capcom ports and such, is that Sega owns the games themselves which makes them less expensive to license than they would be if they were 100% externally-owned.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised at this point, and it bugs me out that it's even a valid possibility.

I know I'm in the minority here but I think World of Illusion and Quackshot would have been fine and that Castle, World and Quackshot would be overdoing it--I know they don't get a ton of opportunities to reissue any of those games and they might as well go for broke but I really think Castle in particular doesn't hold up very well.

andymcc
Yuyu Hakusho could make it in Japan.

Some TREASURE's staff work at M2.
Sega must pay the licence ? It coukd be bankable anyway since the game is over 150 dollars in Japan...

Yes, Sega would have to license the game.

The other hurdle for YuYu Hakusho is that the game gained popularity off the strength of its 4-player mode, which obviously won't be an option for the Mini.

Apr 21, 2018
The thing to remember with the Illusion games and certain others, like a lot of the early Sega-made Capcom ports and such, is that Sega owns the games themselves which makes them less expensive to license than they would be if they were 100% externally-owned.

I know I'm in the minority here but I think World of Illusion and Quackshot would have been fine and that Castle, World and Quackshot would be overdoing it--I know they don't get a ton of opportunities to reissue any of those games and they might as well go for broke but I really think Castle in particular doesn't hold up very well.

Yes, Sega would have to license the game.

The other hurdle for YuYu Hakusho is that the game gained popularity off the strength of its 4-player mode, which obviously won't be an option for the Mini.
Maybe Sega is preparing online play for Yuyu and 4 players story mode for SOR 2 ha ha :).:believe:

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
I never got to play Virtua FIghter 2 on Genesis. I hear it is good, so maybe that could be a title that shows up.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
I never get interested in these things because I find them to be clutter long term. I might buy one for Shinobi alone.

Oct 29, 2017
Man... such a great list. I just hope you're able to pull the ROMs off it like you can with the NES Classic so I can use them on my Mega SG, which I do for my NES Classic ROMS on my AVS, and my SEGA Collection ROM from Steam that I currently use on my Mega SG (unfortunate you seemingly can't really do it with the games on the SNES Classic).

You can. The final Star Fox 2 ROM was ripped from the SNES Mini just hours after the system released!

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
It's a must buy and then hack in all Sonics, Treasures, Superheroes and Disney-licenses. Hopefully it works well with extened storage so you can add some extra Sega CD-stuff. And hopefully Sega CD-emulator works natively with roms

Sep 28, 2018

Not at all, all three games have excellent music and with any luck, SoR4 will give us some more great tunes.

I have to say SoR2 is my all time favourite and this tune alone is one of my favourite in all of videogame music, it just keeps building, evolving and getting better:

megashock5

Oct 27, 2017
Powell, Ohio
Really happy with what has been revealed so far.

Main wish list for the upcoming additions:
Kid Chameleon
Strider
Ghouls & Ghosts
MUSHA

I'd also like Fire Shark but it doesn't have a huge following. I'd take Truxton in it's place.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
Really happy with what has been revealed so far.

Main wish list for the upcoming additions:
Kid Chameleon
Strider
Ghouls & Ghosts
MUSHA

I'd also like Fire Shark but it doesn't have a huge following. I'd take Truxton in it's place.
Add The Revenge Of Shinobi, Streets Of Rage and Golden Axe to your list and the Sega Genesis Mini will be perfect.

As for Golden Axe, I really hope we only get the first one, as the 2 sequels aren't any good and that would waste 2 more slots.

megashock5

Oct 27, 2017
Powell, Ohio
While I'm at it, I'll throw in Super Monaco GP.

The racing genre has surpassed it long ago, but it's still arguably the best 16-bit racer and was the first game I bought for my Genesis (outside of the Altered Beast pack-in).

Not a must-have, but still a game I associate with the system.

Danthrax

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Northeast Ohio
I played Super Monaco 1 and 2 for the first time last year and they're pretty good. Also fairly impressive for the hardware. The first one would be a good inclusion (the second one would be even better except it's got Ayrton Senna all over it — licensing cost nightmare).

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
While I'm at it, I'll throw in Super Monaco GP.

The racing genre has surpassed it long ago, but it's still arguably the best 16-bit racer and was the first game I bought for my Genesis (outside of the Altered Beast pack-in).

Not a must-have, but still a game I associate with the system.
I think Virtua Racing would be a great inclusion as the racing game for the system. When it first released, it cost $100 because it incorporated a proprietary SVP chip which pushed the cost of the title to double the norm. It would be nice to have this in the collection as most people couldn't afford it back in the day.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Not at all, all three games have excellent music and with any luck, SoR4 will give us some more great tunes.

I have to say SoR2 is my all time favourite and this tune alone is one of my favourite in all of videogame music, it just keeps building, evolving and getting better:

And we're getting a new menu theme by this guy. The Sega Mini is going to be incredible.

Hilbert

Oct 27, 2017
Pacific Northwest!
my son an I beat streets of rage 2 together in coop yesterday! He was so excited.

It's nice to see these old games hold up and make a new generation of kids happy still. He's 6.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It would be nice to have this in the collection as most people couldn't afford it back in the day.
The launch price was brutal but it totally crashed in price within less than a year, at least where I live.

I think it would be the best racing game to include. It's smoother than any other 3d racing game on the system (not counting CD and 32X).

megashock5

Oct 27, 2017
Powell, Ohio
I think Virtua Racing would be a great inclusion as the racing game for the system. When it first released, it cost $100 because it incorporated a proprietary SVP chip which pushed the cost of the title to double the norm. It would be nice to have this in the collection as most people couldn't afford it back in the day.

Yeah, that would be a solid inclusion. The 32X version would be even better, but I doubt they'll dip into that library.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
My wishlist (that's probably not gonna happen):

1. Alisia Dragoon
  2. Ranger X
  3. Atomic Runner
  4. Chiki Chiki Boys
  5. Mazin Saga
  6. Sonic 3 & Knuckles (lol)

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'd think the impending Ages release may factor in to including VR or not, though that is a different version.

The one I am most familiar with is the 32X version but definitely not expecting that here or anywhere else anytime soon.

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
Sonic 3 & Knuckles can happen since the game won't be changed in any way right? That's why a few Sega collections got it. Obviously could be wrong but I hope not.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never got to play Virtua FIghter 2 on Genesis. I hear it is good, so maybe that could be a title that shows up.
It's a good game. I played recently in the last Genesis Collection and I replicate my fighting style with Sarah almost perfectly. That's was a shock to me lol. It doesn't look to hot but It plays fine. That being said, I rather another sidescroller like Ranger X or Alien Soldier to make it in instead

I played Super Monaco 1 and 2 for the first time last year and they're pretty good. Also fairly impressive for the hardware. The first one would be a good inclusion (the second one would be even better except it's got Ayrton Senna all over it — licensing cost nightmare).

I always wanted to play those game as a child. Now they seems incredibly dated.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Sonic 3 & Knuckles can happen since the game won't be changed in any way right? That's why a few Sega collections got it. Obviously could be wrong but I hope not.
It hasn't been re-released since they found out Icecap is a direct rip-off of an unreleased Jetzons song, which happened around 2013. You can still buy it, but I'm guessing that's just Sega not wanting to call attention to it.

They could probably go in and change whatever offending music there is pretty easily, but that's probably too much work for them to bother with.