• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
I love the premise and style of Eternal Champions, but I think I got less enjoyment from actually playing the game than I did from reading the in-game character bios.

Road Rash and Skitchin' were games that I recall playing a lot but always getting bored of within about 20 minutes. Having the same handful of courses repeat over and over, just slightly longer on each loop, made them seem really thin on content.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
WTF? How? Did they just inherit the old ELSPA rating for ECCD and not realise that they're different games?
Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question - are you shocked that Eternal Champions was rated so highly for violence?

If so, take a gander at this:

Eternal Champions fatalities and overkills make Mortal Kombat look like an evening at Chuck-E-Cheese eating their recycled pizza by comparison.

Last edited:

flattie

Nov 5, 2017
Oh shit, yeah! Skitchin' or even better, Road Rash 2! 3 was good too, but 2 is a classic.

Also, I feel this is a good place to post that any Mega Drive/Genesis fans owe it to themselves to get a copy of the Mega Drive/Genesis: Collected Works book by ReadOnlyMemory. It's a delight, full of pages upon pages of art, diagrams, translated documents, interviews and articles about the history of the MD, its creation and many of its games. Full fold-out blueprints for the original production sketches of the system are included. It's one of my favourite games books. (There's a Dreamcast one coming out soon too)

https://readonlymemory.vg/shop/book/sega-mega-drive-genesis-collected-works/

I'd second this. A stunning piece of work.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question - are you shocked that Eternal Champions was rated so highly for violence?

If so, take a gander at this:
Eternal Champions fatalities and overkills make Mortal Kombat look like an evening at Chuck-E-Cheese eating their recycled pizza by comparison.

I think he's saying that all the really brutal stuff is in the CD version, not the cartridge version, and that the cart version doesn't warrant such a high rating.

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
I expect these to be the remaining twenty games for the Western version of the Mega Drive Mini:

Alien Soldier
Dynamite Headdy
Ghouls 'n Ghosts
Golden Axe
Herzog Zwei
Mega Bomberman
Mega Man: The Wily Wars
Monster World IV
Phantasy Star II
Quackshot
Ranger X
Ristar
Rocket Knight Adventures
Soleil (US: Crusader of Centy)
Sonic 3 & Knuckles
Streets Of Rage 3
Strider
The Story of Thor (US: Beyond Oasis)
Thunder Force IV (US: Lightening Force)
Vectorman

Fukuzatsu

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, there's at least 20 to 30 games released in English that could fill up a Saturn Classic. Here's my own list.

- Panzer Dragoon
- Panzer Dragoon Zwei
- Panzer Dragoon Saga
- NiGHTS Into Dreams
- Burning Rangers
- Shining Force III
- Shining the Holy Ark
- Albert Odyssey
- Saturn Bomberman
- Virtua Fighter 2
- Virtual On
- Clockwork Knight
- Clockwork Knight 2
- Guardian Heroes
- Radiant Silvergun
- Daytona USA
- Astal
- Legend of Oasis
- Dark Savior
- Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo

I mean sure, I'm not saying there aren't at least 20 games you could find, I'm just sceptical of the viability of such a thing in the market. In general I'd also avoid any of the arcade ports that don't run well (OG Daytona USA on Saturn is a real nightmare, for example)

I'd probably choose:
-NiGHTS into Dreams
-Burning Rangers
-Deep Fear
-Panzer Dragoon
-Panzer Dragoon Zwei
-Panzer Dragoon Saga
-Shining Force III
-Shining The Holy Ark
-Dragon Force
-Virtua Fighter 2
-Fighters Megamix
-Clockwork Knight
-Sega Rally Championship Plus
-Hang-On GP '95
-Virtual-On: Cyber Troopers
-Legend of Oasis
-Dark Savior
-Street Fighter Alpha 2 Gold
-Saturn Bomberman
-Rayman
-Tomb Raider
-Powerslave

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
They've already addressed the possibility of a Saturn Mini, they don't think they could manufacture a cost-effective device with the power to adequately emulate Saturn games at today's prices.

Oct 29, 2017
I expect these to be the remaining twenty games for the Western version of the Mega Drive Mini:

Alien Soldier
Dynamite Headdy
Ghouls 'n Ghosts
Golden Axe
Herzog Zwei
Mega Bomberman
Monster World IV
Phantasy Star II
Quackshot
Ranger X
Ristar
Rocket Knight Adventures
Sonic 3 & Knuckles
Streets Of Rage 3
Strider
Vectorman

Phantasy Star 2 and not 4?

They've already addressed the possibility of a Saturn Mini, they don't think they could manufacture a cost-effective device with the power to adequately emulate Saturn games at today's prices.

Yeah, it simply can't happen yet. I'd expect them to come to Switch's SEGA AGES series, but definitely not a mini console.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
One feature I wound freaking LOVE for this thing, would be some kind of jukebox that has all the music from all the games, completely playable from the menu. Gimme.

Oh man, if this thing can be hacked like the PS Classic, SNES Classic & NES Classic, I'd be thrilled. The Genesis was my first console. So many fond memories.

B.A.D.A.S.S.

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
Phantasy Star 2 and not 4?

Yeah, I guess I screwed up there. If they're going to pick just one installment of the franchise it'll obviously be the highest rated one, so that would be IV, right? I think the rest of my list should be fairly accurate, though.

Anyway, here's a list of games I would love to see on the Mini but are unlikely to be included:

Atomic Runner
The Adventures of Batman & Robin
Battletoads & Double Dragon
Championship ProAm
Chase HQ 2
Devil's Crush
Gleylancer
Golden Axe 3
Granada
Gauntlet IV
Mazin Wars
Mega Turrican
Micro Machines 2: Turbo Tournament
Panorama Cotton
Psycho Pinball
Red Zone
Road Rash 2
Robocop Versus The Terminator
Rolling Thunder 3
Snow Bros.
Speedball 2
Splatterhouse 2
Splatterhouse 3
Sub-Terrania
Super Skidmarks
Target Earth
X-Men 2: Clone Wars
Yu Yu Hakusho

I'd be overjoyed if even only a handful of the above games get selected!

Last edited:

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit, yeah! Skitchin' or even better, Road Rash 2! 3 was good too, but 2 is a classic.

Also, I feel this is a good place to post that any Mega Drive/Genesis fans owe it to themselves to get a copy of the Mega Drive/Genesis: Collected Works book by ReadOnlyMemory. It's a delight, full of pages upon pages of art, diagrams, translated documents, interviews and articles about the history of the MD, its creation and many of its games. Full fold-out blueprints for the original production sketches of the system are included. It's one of my favourite games books. (There's a Dreamcast one coming out soon too)

https://readonlymemory.vg/shop/book/sega-mega-drive-genesis-collected-works/

Yep best gaming book I own and I have quite a few.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States

Alien Soldier
Dynamite Headdy
Ghouls 'n Ghosts
Golden Axe
Herzog Zwei
Mega Bomberman
Monster World IV
Phantasy Star II
Quackshot
Ranger X
Ristar
Rocket Knight Adventures
Sonic 3 & Knuckles
Streets Of Rage 3
Strider
Vectorman
Why no love for The Revenge Of Shinobi??

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

Alien Soldier
Dynamite Headdy
Ghouls 'n Ghosts
Golden Axe
Herzog Zwei
Mega Bomberman
Monster World IV
Phantasy Star II
Quackshot
Ranger X
Ristar
Rocket Knight Adventures
Sonic 3 & Knuckles
Streets Of Rage 3
Strider
Vectorman

I think it will be close to this but no way they put Phantasy Star II instead of IV. Also I think Wonderboy in Monster World is more likely than IV.

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
Why no love for The Revenge Of Shinobi??
Well, it seems as though games with multiple installments are announced in a chronological manner. So, for example, first Sonic 1, then Sonic 2. If The Revenge of Shinobi would be in, it would've made sense to announce that game before confirming Shinobi III. This is also the reason why I believe the first SOR won't be included.

It's just a theory though, so I could be wrong.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
Well, it seems as though games with multiple installments are announced in a chronological manner. So, for example, first Sonic 1, then Sonic 2. If The Revenge of Shinobi would be in, it would've made sense to announce that game before confirming Shinobi III. This is also the reason why I believe the first SOR won't be included.

It's just a theory though, so I could be wrong.
I hope you're wrong lol

It wouldn't be a Sega Genesis to me without The Revenge Of Shinobi and the OG Streets Of Rage.

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
I think it will be close to this but no way they put Phantasy Star II instead of IV. Also I think Wonderboy in Monster World is more likely than IV.
Yeah, I agree I messed up with Phantasy Star II. Swap that one with IV and my list will probably be a more accurate prediction.

I'd actually like to see both Wonder Boy in Monster World and Monster World IV on the Mini, but I think the latter's cult status might give it the edge.

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
I hope you're wrong lol

It wouldn't be a Sega Genesis to me without The Revenge Of Shinobi and the OG Streets Of Rage.
On the one hand you're correct that they're both bona fide classics (man, the hours I've put into those games, especially SOR...), but on the other hand I accept that some series have to drop a few installments to make room for games that haven't been ported as often.

Conclusion: Dear Sega, please put 100 games on the Mega Drive Mini 2, k thx bye

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
On the one hand you're correct that they're both bona fide classics (man, the hours I've put into those games, especially SOR...), but on the other hand I accept that some series have to drop a few installments to make room for games that haven't been ported as often.

Conclusion: Dear Sega, please put 100 games on the Mega Drive Mini 2, k thx bye
Lol!

However, I would gladly trade Toejam & Earl and Mean Bean Machine for The Revenge Of Shinobi and Streets Of Rage.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

Alien Soldier
Dynamite Headdy
Ghouls 'n Ghosts
Golden Axe
Herzog Zwei
Mega Bomberman
Monster World IV
Phantasy Star II
Quackshot
Ranger X
Ristar
Rocket Knight Adventures
Sonic 3 & Knuckles
Streets Of Rage 3
Strider
Vectorman

This would be amazing. Really hoping it's something like this (swapping PS2 for PS4 like others have said).

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
Has Sonic the Hedgehog been announced for the Japanese Mega Drive yet? In the first batch of 10 games for it, they announced Sonic the Hedgehog 2, but not the first one. In our first batch of games, they announced Sonic the Hedgehog and then Sonic the Hedgehog 2, so with them announcing Streets of Rage 2 it's entirely possible that Streets of Rage 1 could be announced next, being as there seems to be no sequel logic to how they chronologically announce releases.

Deleted member 33

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017

Alien Soldier
Dynamite Headdy
Ghouls 'n Ghosts
Golden Axe
Herzog Zwei
Mega Bomberman
Monster World IV
Phantasy Star II
Quackshot
Ranger X
Ristar
Rocket Knight Adventures
Sonic 3 & Knuckles
Streets Of Rage 3
Strider
Vectorman

Good list. Although, I think Kid Chameleon has a strong shot of being part of the remaining twenty games.

It's been part of almost every major Genesis Collection.
  • Sega Smash Pack 2 (2000)
  • Wii Virtual Console (2007)
  • Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection for Xbox 360, PS3 (2009)
  • Sega Forever collection for iOS/Android (2017)
  • Sega Genesis Classics for PS4/XB1/PC/Switch (2018)

Hilbert

Oct 27, 2017
Pacific Northwest!
I mean sure, I'm not saying there aren't at least 20 games you could find, I'm just sceptical of the viability of such a thing in the market. In general I'd also avoid any of the arcade ports that don't run well (OG Daytona USA on Saturn is a real nightmare, for example)

I'd probably choose:
-NiGHTS into Dreams
-Burning Rangers
-Deep Fear
-Panzer Dragoon
-Panzer Dragoon Zwei
-Panzer Dragoon Saga
-Shining Force III
-Shining The Holy Ark
-Dragon Force
-Virtua Fighter 2
-Fighters Megamix
-Clockwork Knight
-Sega Rally Championship Plus
-Hang-On GP '95
-Virtual-On: Cyber Troopers
-Legend of Oasis
-Dark Savior
-Street Fighter Alpha 2 Gold
-Saturn Bomberman
-Rayman
-Tomb Raider
-Powerslave

That's a good list, but a Saturn mini needs Enemy Zero, with the dramatic way it became a Saturn exclusive, and how there really isn't anything like it.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
These are my must-have games for the last 20 or I may not buy a Sega Genesis Mini:

The Revenge Of Shinobi
Streets Of Rage
Strider
Ghouls n' Ghosts
Golden Axe

You can do it Sega!! 🤞

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
Has Sonic the Hedgehog been announced for the Japanese Mega Drive yet? In the first batch of 10 games for it, they announced Sonic the Hedgehog 2, but not the first one. In our first batch of games, they announced Sonic the Hedgehog and then Sonic the Hedgehog 2, so with them announcing Streets of Rage 2 it's entirely possible that Streets of Rage 1 could be announced next, being as there seems to be no sequel logic to how they chronologically announce releases.
With Sonic 1 and 2 already confirmed for the Western Mini, it would've made sense for Sonic 1 to have been announced for the Japanese Mini by now. Since only the second installment is confirmed for the JP Mini, I believe part 1 won't be released on it at all. Again, it's just a theory.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
With Sonic 1 and 2 already confirmed for the Western Mini, it would've made sense for Sonic 1 to have been announced for the Japanese Mini by now. Since only the second installment is confirmed for the JP Mini, I believe part 1 won't be released on it at all. Again, it's just a theory.
That would be seriously goofy on Sega's part to not release one of their biggest IP's and one of their best selling games ever for their Japanese system.

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Btw, the Asia version, which has Sword of Vermillion and Outrun 2019, is getting:

MUSHA Aleste
Castle of Illusion
World of Illusion
Sonic 1
Contra Hard Corps
Streets of Rage 2
Landstalker
Super Fantasy Zone
Thunder Force III
Game no Kanzume Otokuyou

http://asia.sega.com/mdmini/cht/

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
So far the Asia lineup is looking like the best one imo. Does it come with 3 or 6 button controllers?

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Is Outrun 2019 any good btw? Never played it but honestly even the MD version of the original looks better to me...

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
Is Outrun 2019 any good btw? Never played it but honestly even the MD version of the original looks better to me...
I've played it a few times and I liked it. Not a classic by far, but it's pretty fun (and fast). I would prefer getting 2019 on the Mini instead of regular Out Run, because if I wanted to play classic Out Run I'd play the arcade version instead of the MD version.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I've played it a few times and I liked it. Not a classic by far, but it's pretty fun (and fast). I would prefer getting 2019 on the Mini instead of regular Out Run, because if I wanted to play classic Out Run I'd play the arcade version instead of the MD version.

yeah this is true, same happens with Golden Axe (and well, Altered Beast but I don't want to play that even in arcade form lol).

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
I will buy any version that has the below games:

Musha aleste
Thunderforce 3
Sonic 3 &k (and hopefully sonic 2)

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Nope, it's dull to look at, the music is kinda bad and the sound effects are very grating - it wasn't originally an Outrun game and it shows. Outrunners also wasn't great on the Mega Drive but at least as a rare curiosity it'd be more worthwhile than 2019.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
I totally forgot this thing only has a 3-Buttons controller... for 16 bit games that is probably going to be... interesting. Preordered anyway.

GrayFoxPL

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
people in here actually beggin for Eternal Champions, of all games

love yourselves
0FHugGi.gif

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
I'd love Pulseman to show up since that game was only available in NA through Sega Channel, IIRC.