• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RetroCCN

Oct 26, 2017
The Lion King is one of those games that is fondly remembered by many because they played it as kids. I was in my teens when it came out and thought it was pretty bad at the time, honestly. I do like Aladdin a lot, though.

It also pains me to say that Mickey Mania is not very good, either. Because there was a ton of love put into it as far as the animation and the attention to detail with regards to the history of the character goes. It's just not very enjoyable to play :(

Seven Force said:
Ya'll remember Fantastia?

Oh, I remember Fantasia. I even bought it at full price back in the day. I had it for about a day before I brought it back to Software Etc. and exchanged it for a different game. I think I still have the receipt for it somewhere...

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Keeping hope alive for Pulseman and Mega Man Wily Wars. Even more so that Pulseman gets included in the Genesis Mini.

I mean, c'mon...it was on Sega Channel, too!

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
Good ta see ACME All Stars love!

Knuckles Chaotix is unfinished crap an no spin'll have me believing otherwise. You can get stuck with a crappy useless partner, the level "design" is Bubsy 2-esque massive labyrinths, theres what, 5 acts per level? AND levels are chose randomly so you come back to the hub after finishing 1 act of a level, then can potentially be sent to a completely seperate level!

You can also count me among those who'd love to see Quackshot (and yeah, I'd say moreso than Aladdin). And I think about the only game I'd like to see that I haven't seen mentioned much elsewhere is Road Rash 2.

As for what I don't want: no Boogerman, no Bubsy, no Sonic Spinball (fuck that game).
Agreed for Road Rash 2, and for keeping those three games ya mentioned as far away from this system as possible!

For all of you wanting more "unknown" games AND disney games: would you want Maui Mallard over, say, jungle book or Lion King?
All of them are big NO's from me but especially Maui Mallard. That games vertical camera scrolling when jumping about is nauseating!

Keeping hope alive for Pulseman and Mega Man Wily Wars. Even more so that Pulseman gets included in the Genesis Mini.

I mean, c'mon...it was on Sega Channel, too!
Same. Especially Wily Wars even though its bad. Capcom didn't preserve it in their own collections and unlike Pulseman it never saw re-release on any VC type thing.

RetroCCN

Oct 26, 2017
The real "meat" of Chaotix was in its 3D Special stages. It certainly wasn't in the traditional 2D sections lol. I actually really like the rubber band mechanic gameplay a lot, they just didn't do enough creative stuff with the stage design to justify it. They make you go through all these tutorials in the beginning where you have to use your animal buddy to activate switches and other bits, but those mechanics very rarely come into play during the actual game.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
Based on the 20 announced games so far, here's my prediction for the complete list:

Shinobi III: Return Of The Ninja Master
Altered Beast
Mickey Mouse And The Castle Of Illusion
World Of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse & Donald Duck
Ecco The Dolphin
Thunderforce III
Streets Of Rage 2
Dr. Robotnick's Mean Bean Machine
Space Harrier II
Comix Zone
Super Fantasy Zone
Earthworm Jim
Landstalker
Gunstar Heroes
Sonic The Hedgehog
Sonic The Hedgehog 2
Toejam & Earl
Castlevania Bloodlines
Contra: Hard Corps
Shining Force

The remaining unannounced 20 games:

The Revenge Of Shinobi
Strider
Ghouls n' Ghosts
Phantasy Star II
Streets Of Rage
Alien Storm
The Adventures Of Batman & Robin
Alien Soldier
Golden Axe
Outrun
Super Thunder Blade
Ecco II: The Tides Of Time
E-Swat
Aladdin
Joe Montana Football II Sports Talk Football
Kid Chameleon
Rocket Knight Adventures
Vectorman
Alex Kidd In The Enchanted Castle
Ristar

Let's see how close I get🤘🏻

Last edited:

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
World of Illusion bumped this up to a day 1 purchase, ngl

Edit: and if people hack it to have Sonic 3 Complete!?

giphy.gif

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
I looked up Adventures of Batman and Robin's history out of curiosity (I'm sure most people are already familiar with it, but Sega Retro is a pretty amazing resource), since the developer (Clockwork Tortoise) is defunct and Sega published it, I assume the rights are solely with Warner now. Probably not impossible, and if they want a Mortal Kombat game on here too, they might take the time. Would be kind of amazing if we ended up with DC and Marvel titles on here.

(Also I learned about the X-Women game that Clockwork was working on, would've been fun to try that one out)

But yeah, considering what we can assume about the last twenty games (there'll be at least one Phantasy Star, Golden Axe, etc, probably more Konami), I already feel great about this thing. My own personal choices would be Phantasy Star 4 over 2, and getting Shining Force 2 on here even though we already have SF1. I want Shining in the Darkness too, but I'm not sure if SF1 would count against that since they're totally different games (despite being in the same series).

I've also got the "Stuff I want that nobody else does" duo of Gain Ground and Fatal Labyrinth, but I can survive without them. :P

Did the new trailer get posted? I mean, it's nothing new but yeah

Thanks! Wanted to see more footage of the JPN exclusives. I remember looking up Hybrid Front back in the day, wish that one had gotten an official localization. Kind of want to play Game no Kanzume Otokuyou now too.

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK
THE STREETS DEMAND "SKITCHIN"

Oh shit, yeah! Skitchin' or even better, Road Rash 2! 3 was good too, but 2 is a classic.

Also, I feel this is a good place to post that any Mega Drive/Genesis fans owe it to themselves to get a copy of the Mega Drive/Genesis: Collected Works book by ReadOnlyMemory. It's a delight, full of pages upon pages of art, diagrams, translated documents, interviews and articles about the history of the MD, its creation and many of its games. Full fold-out blueprints for the original production sketches of the system are included. It's one of my favourite games books. (There's a Dreamcast one coming out soon too)

https://readonlymemory.vg/shop/book/sega-mega-drive-genesis-collected-works/

EndingE

Nov 8, 2017
I want Wonder Boy, but also kind of hope for more stuff that's *not* already on the console/PC collections already.

Fukuzatsu

Oct 25, 2017
Come on Saturn Classic. It's gotta happen eventually.

Too many of the good games are Japanese-only for this to work well overseas, I think, in particular RPGs without translation patches or localisations, and games like Castlevania that have ports or localisations on other platforms or only certain regions.

100mega

Oct 27, 2017
I doubt we'll see Outrun due to them needing to go though the trouble of editing out any Ferrari reference. Maybe Outrun 2049 will replace it?

Apr 24, 2018
Although the SNES is my favorite console of all time, I have to say that the Genesis-mini is shaping up rather nicely - if the remaining unannounced games are of similar quality to what's been announced, this will easily be the best mini-console yet! Almost assuredly there Day One.

I doubt they'd put another beat 'em up besides Streets of Rage 2, but my inner child is hoping for Battletoads or Battletoads/Double Dragon to appear. Either of these games and Gunstar Heroes are the co-op experiences I'm hoping to relive!

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I doubt we'll see Outrun due to them needing to go though the trouble of editing out any Ferrari reference. Maybe Outrun 2049 will replace it?

M2 has made slight alterations to roms in the past, obviously including the Sega AGES stuff.

Although the SNES is my favorite console of all time, I have to say that the Genesis-mini is shaping up rather nicely - if the remaining unannounced games are of similar quality to what's been announced, this will easily be the best mini-console yet! Almost assuredly there Day One.

I doubt they'd put another beat 'em up besides the (hopefully) inevitable Streets of Rage entry, but my inner child is hoping for Battletoads or Battletoads/Double Dragon to appear. Either of these games and Gunstar Heroes are the co-op experiences I'm hoping to relive!

Lucky for you, Gunstar is already on there.

I doubt we'll see any of the Battletoads games.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Too many of the good games are Japanese-only for this to work well overseas, I think, in particular RPGs without translation patches or localisations, and games like Castlevania that have ports or localisations on other platforms or only certain regions.

Eh, there's at least 20 to 30 games released in English that could fill up a Saturn Classic. Here's my own list.

- Panzer Dragoon
- Panzer Dragoon Zwei
- Panzer Dragoon Saga
- NiGHTS Into Dreams
- Burning Rangers
- Shining Force III
- Shining the Holy Ark
- Albert Odyssey
- Saturn Bomberman
- Virtua Fighter 2
- Virtual On
- Clockwork Knight
- Clockwork Knight 2
- Guardian Heroes
- Radiant Silvergun
- Daytona USA
- Astal
- Legend of Oasis
- Dark Savior
- Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2018
M2 has made slight alterations to roms in the past, obviously including the Sega AGES stuff.

Lucky for you, Gunstar is already on there.

I doubt we'll see any of the Battletoads games.
Wow I'm getting old. I didn't remember Gunstar being announced initially! Totally forgot for a second that Streets of Rage 2 was announced also, haha.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if M2 will add extras to the Sega Genesis Mini - things like the original instruction manuals, box art that you can flip around and look at the back of the box, a history section for each game, etc.?

There'll be manuals posted online but nothing included on the system itself.

I'm aware of Gigadrive but I wonder If M2 will have a different approach to Genesis Mini than their work in the Sega Ages line of games because authenticity with the platform? I dont know. I just hope M2 give us the M2 treatment with Genesis Mini as well 😅

They said they're basically keeping the games as-is. They might decide to overclock or remove sprite flicker but if they do, it'll probably be set by default and not something the player can elect to turn on/off. It's less Sega Ages and more Virtual Console.

-Vastly inferior home conversions of arcade games that are frequently being released over and over again on modern platforms (i.e. Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat)

Classic MK has been re-released less often than you might imagine--that said, the MD ports were on the AtGames boxes--and SF2 SCE is a better port than people give it credit for.

The three-button pad obviously complicates matters but I can't see this thing shipping with no fighting games whatsoever, they're synonymous with the era.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
Classic MK has been re-released less often than you might imagine--that said, the MD ports were on the AtGames boxes--and SF2 SCE is a better port than people give it credit for.

The three-button pad obviously complicates matters but I can't see this thing shipping with no fighting games whatsoever, they're synonymous with the era.
Honestly, including Mortal Kombat would be a waste of a slot on the roster.

Yeah it was the first home console release of it to feature the blood and full fatalities - but it played and looked like shit, so I'd rather it stay away from this near-perfect collection of Sega Genesis games.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly, including Mortal Kombat would be a waste of a slot on the roster.

Yeah it was the first home console release of it to feature the blood and full fatalities - but it played and looked like shit, so I'd rather it stay away from this near-perfect collection of Sega Genesis games.

It wouldn't have to be the first one, 2 or UMK3 would be fine. MK's a franchise that plays as big a part of the Genesis story as any other so I'd have no qualms with any of the games being on there, even if I don't necessarily want to play them or those ports anymore.

(The system's rated PEGI 16 in Europe, would that even cover the classic MK games? Come to think of it, would Disney ever let Mickey sit side-to-side with Sub-Zero?)

My big question is, if they don't have either SF or MK, what fighting game would they even include? Eternal Champions? The VF conversion they keep pushing as if it's something people actually want? A bad port of a SNK game? Friggin' Clayfighter? If those are the choices then yeah, maybe nothing's the best option.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If they include fighting games in the western version, they HAVE to offer 6-button controllers for purchase. It's an absolute must.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
I really hope Sonic 3 is being saved for the final batch announcement for maximum hype. Thats the only Genesis Sonic game I can find enjoyable these days. 1/2 are totally wasted slots for me. Also I never "got" the TJ&E games, like what even are they and how are they supposed to be played? I sure never figured out back in the day. Best they don't include TJ&E2 since thats yet another 6 button game.

My big question is, if they don't have either SF or MK, what fighting game would they even include? Eternal Champions? The VF conversion they keep pushing as if it's something people actually want? A bad port of a SNK game? Friggin' Clayfighter? If those are the choices then yeah, maybe nothing's the best option.
Time Killers if they truly hate us. UMK3 would be pretty rad.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Edit: Eternal Champions would be the easy inclusion but I dunno how playable it is as a 3-button game. Can't be any worse than SF2 SCE, I guess... Also I'm not sure if it might be considered an M game due to content? I didn't really play it.

Eternal Champions a) sucks, b) is a 3-punch, 3-kick game a la SF and c) is a PEGI 18 game, so it won't be on the EU version at the very least.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I cannot see Eternal Champions making it in. I doubt Disney would agree to being part of the collection and have Mickey Mouse be next to a game with gore as detailed as that game. Before we knew Disney was involved I was certain Mortal Kombat would be in this in some form, but there is just no way now.

I looked up Adventures of Batman and Robin's history out of curiosity (I'm sure most people are already familiar with it, but Sega Retro is a pretty amazing resource), since the developer (Clockwork Tortoise) is defunct and Sega published it, I assume the rights are solely with Warner now. Probably not impossible, and if they want a Mortal Kombat game on here too, they might take the time. Would be kind of amazing if we ended up with DC and Marvel titles on here.

(Also I learned about the X-Women game that Clockwork was working on, would've been fun to try that one out)

But yeah, considering what we can assume about the last twenty games (there'll be at least one Phantasy Star, Golden Axe, etc, probably more Konami), I already feel great about this thing. My own personal choices would be Phantasy Star 4 over 2, and getting Shining Force 2 on here even though we already have SF1. I want Shining in the Darkness too, but I'm not sure if SF1 would count against that since they're totally different games (despite being in the same series).

I've also got the "Stuff I want that nobody else does" duo of Gain Ground and Fatal Labyrinth, but I can survive without them. :P

Thanks! Wanted to see more footage of the JPN exclusives. I remember looking up Hybrid Front back in the day, wish that one had gotten an official localization. Kind of want to play Game no Kanzume Otokuyou now too.
From what I heard Clockwork Tortoise was the name of an internal SEGA dev group and not a proper studio. I do think that game was pretty cool, but it is just far, far, far too hard. I would only want it if they gave you way more health or something. Contra: Hard Corps has that issue as well to a degree, but the Japanese version (which will be an option in this) has life bars instead of one hit kills.

And I absolutely want Gain Ground to make it in too! I honestly believe that is one of the best games on the platform, and it helps that it is another multiplayer game (gotta make use of those two controllers!).