• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
The video is b-roll gameplay provided by the publisher. Direct feed capture wasn't allowed at PAX East for this title.

Some of the voice acting is placeholder.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I've been following this game for a long time and can't wait to have my copy in my hands. Been a supporter since I first saw it. While I missed out the train on SkullGirls this game is a must for me as a HUGE fan of Valkyrie Profile 1 (and 2).

Some of the UI changes and stuff have been interesting to watch but I'm super excited to see where the story goes too. Can't wait to see what insane combos people come up with and spend half as much time that I would on the game theory crafting combos with people.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Gameplay looks great as expected but lmao at the cutscenes, it's very clear that it's a placeholder but still pretty funny.

Now I kinda want these voices as a extra option.

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
Combat looks like it takes waaaay too long. But that's a very addressable concern. Otherwise looks like it's coming along nicely.

Dink

Oct 31, 2017
Something about this games overall art direction doesn't sit right with me- more in particular; the backgrounds . I love the characters and their designs; but the background and stage seems so lifeless. I wish the backgrounds responded to attacks from the hits of the characters; similar to a fighting game, and more things to interact with... I look at a game like 'hollow knight' as an example of where the background seems to be alive... I know this is a demo; I'm hopeful the overall final game comes together well.

OP
OP
Shard Shinjuku
Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
Something about this games overall art direction doesn't sit right with me- more in particular; the backgrounds . I love the characters and their designs; but the background and stage seems so lifeless. I wish the backgrounds responded to attacks from the hits of the characters; similar to a fighting game, and more things to interact with... I look at a game like 'hollow knight' as an example of where the background seems to be alive... I know this is a demo; I'm hopeful the overall final game comes together well.

It has The Ducktales Remastered problem of using very detailed handdrawn sprites against a polygon level, looked awful there, looks awful here.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Yeah, agreed on all fronts. Backgrounds especially in combat just look plain ugly to me. In general I'm not a fan of how inconsistent the visuals look. I understand that going with 3D backgrounds saves on A LOT of time and resources but it looks really jarring when you've got this super detailed sprite work superimposed on top of it. Like you say, it just looks really soulless to me. This looks like a game that would have really benefited from some nice hand-drawn backgrounds but something like that isn't always so feasible.

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, was about to come in and say this.

Something about this rubs me the wrong way.

I don't like how these dungeons look.

I'm also really not a fan of its really basic design layout.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Like:
- Characters look great
- Sprites are awesome, well animated
- Flow looks pretty good
- Level design seems fun
- Combat look awesome

Dislike:
- Backgrounds are merely functional, not attractive
- Story scenes are disappointingly VN-like, would have preferred actual in-game cutscenes with the sprites like in VP and Vanillaware games

Pause

Feb 22, 2018
Yeah, agreed on all fronts. Backgrounds especially in combat just look plain ugly to me. In general I'm not a fan of how inconsistent the visuals look. I understand that going with 3D backgrounds saves on A LOT of time and resources but it looks really jarring when you've got this super detailed sprite work superimposed on top of it. Like you say, it just looks really soulless to me. This looks like a game that would have really benefited from some nice hand-drawn backgrounds but something like that isn't always so feasible.
I'm hoping it's just 'cause it's not done yet.

Like, the higher area looked a bit dull and it feels like it'd be hard to do meaningful Metroidvania stuff there because of the visual style (nothing is hidden in plain sight, I think). But at the same time, the area in the beginning of the trailer looked mostly fine. The game just needs a lot of things going on in the background. I think it'd also benefit a lot from the aisles being narrower.

I also have a feeling that it may not release this year. It looks like it's coming along well but I'm just unsure if it's like. Ready, ready.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I passed out watching this. Why turn based combat? Long stretches of nothing then some platforming, but then timer based combat with basic enemies seemingly having too much hp.

Maybe I just don't know what this game is doing..

HamCormier

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Jesus they fight the same enemy type twice in a row and the fights are like 2-3 minutes long... I don't have the patience for this.

It looks great though! The animations are great

Murlin

Feb 12, 2019
Mariel Cartwright and Cristina Vee posted pictures from the voiceover recording sessions for the game on Twitter just a few days ago, obviously taking place after PAX where this footage was recorded. Don't think we need to worry about that, and after all, you can just look back at the Story Mode voiceover they added to Skullgirls later on to get an idea of the quality they're probably aiming for.

Ravidrath

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Is the voice acting place holder? Sounds like text to speech

Yes, that is placeholder text-to-speech.

I kinda can't believe that 505 didn't turn voices off when they recorded that footage... haha.

We've almost completed recording all the voice acting, and it turned out fantastically. We'll even have some behind-the-scenes footage of recording, too.

Jesus they fight the same enemy type twice in a row and the fights are like 2-3 minutes long... I don't have the patience for this.

Enemy balance isn't final yet, and those enemies currently have a bug where they're flying and they're not supposed to be.

The sound design needs a lot of work.

A lot of the SFX haven't been implemented yet.

Is this finally coming out in 2019?

Yes, it will be out in 2019.

Last edited: