• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Oh THAT'S why this video showed up on my feed, I legit thought it was YT recommending the last SEGA MD Classic stream @_@

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Looking forward to watching this! I couldn't believe how good Aladdin looked when I first saw it running on a Mega Drive. It blew my mind - it looked like the film.

Shion

Nov 8, 2017
Why not 14?​

Games like Vectorman, Flink, Story of Thor, Yu Yu Hakusho, Monster World IV and Red Zone deserved a mention IMO.​

It's a good list, though.​

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
This got me to wondering; in TMNT 4 on SNES, you can throw enemies to the screen, but the MD/Genesis ver. lacks this. Why is that? It seems the MD could've incorporated it.

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Hmm. I would have dropped Aladdin from that list. I enjoy the game, and it looks good, but I'm not sure how much it's pushing the hardware; it looks more likely that the end result comes from a combination of good development tools and having animation produced by Disney Feature Animation. Red Zone should have been on the list.

This got me to wondering; in TMNT 4 on SNES, you can throw enemies to the screen, but the MD/Genesis ver. lacks this. Why is that? It seems the MD could've incorporated it.

Konami often seemed to put more effort (and sometimes ROM budget) in their SNES games. Sunset Riders is a great example of this, with the Mega Drive version suffering severe cuts.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Reminds me to ask, and admittedly I haven't googled - much was made of the SNES' Mode 7.

Was that just a gimmick in the sense the Mega Drive could have replicated the effects to a large extent, or was it entirely unique?

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
God, I hope Panorama Cotton makes it into the MD mini.

Konami often seemed to put more effort (and sometimes ROM budget) in their SNES games. Sunset Riders is a great example of this, with the Mega Drive version suffering severe cuts.
TMNT Tournament Fighters is another good example, SNES game is great while Genesis is garbage.

Didn't always work this way though. Sparkster and Tiny Toons were better on Genesis imo, but those are probably it.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Not having Vectorman on this list makes absolutely no sense. Hard to take the list seriously without it.

I'm assuming Aladin is so high because of the animation but I think the Earthworm Jim games beat it in that regard.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017

It's a rushed, low-priority adaptation, that's pretty much all there is to it. More time for optimization or simply a bigger ROM would have done wonders.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Never realized that the japanese version of Hard Corps is so expensive. Like wtf is wrong with people?
Yeah, it sucks. I've been trying to get a copy of that and Vampire Killer and I've had to give up. It's just not possible without dropping an insane amount of cash. Really annoying situation.

I assume it's the result of low popularity of the system + late release.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, it sucks. I've been trying to get a copy of that and Vampire Killer and I've had to give up. It's just not possible without dropping an insane amount of cash. Really annoying situation.

It's a fundamentally different game as well, no? It has a lifebar I think.

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Reminds me to ask, and admittedly I haven't googled - much was made of the SNES' Mode 7.

Was that just a gimmick in the sense the Mega Drive could have replicated the effects to a large extent, or was it entirely unique?

It wasn't unique, and it was quite limited, but the Mega Drive couldn't easily replicate the effects on its own at a fast speed. The Mega CD's scaling abilities kicked the crap out of the SNES's, but its framerate suffered as the graphic data it produced had to be transferred back to the Mega Drive's VRAM before being displayed. There was only about enough bandwidth to manage about 15fps if the entire screen was being redrawn by the Mega CD.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Ranger-X did some interesting things with its backgrounds.
Didn't know about Panorama Cotton, looks great.
I think the 16 bit era is the most interesting to revisit when it comes to this kind of stuff.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It's a fundamentally different game as well, no? It has a lifebar I think.
That's right. As someone that can 1cc Contra 3 on normal (and still finish on hard), I find The Hard Corps US version to be insanely annoying. I've finished it before but barely - it's wayyyyy more difficult and less fun to replay as a result. The Japanese version is a lot more enjoyable for me.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
It's a rushed, low-priority adaptation, that's pretty much all there is to it. More time for optimization or simply a bigger ROM would have done wonders.
Dang. I still like it as it was one of the games we owned and played as kids. Still like it to this day despite the snes ver. Xp

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
That's right. As someone that can 1cc Contra 3 on normal (and still finish on hard), I find The Hard Corps US version to be insanely annoying. I've finished it before but barely - it's wayyyyy more difficult and less fun to replay as a result. The Japanese version is a lot more enjoyable for me.
Having played both recently, I agree. Honestly, they ruined the balance IMO.

If you have access to it, there's a hack that fixes the difficulty of the US version. It's pretty great.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Hard Corps with 1-hit kills isn't a huge deal, IMO--most of the game is static, so a lot of things simply won't hit you with a little practice and thus it doesn't matter all that much whether you have a life bar or not once you hit a certain level of familiarity.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017

You can do it in software, although far from as efficiently of course.

This demo works by streaming the whole level as a singular bitmap image (as opposed to being constructed out of tiles). It works but also means it's prohibitively expensive in terms of storage space. I believe the demo used a 1024x1024 bitmap which by itself is a full 16mbit cartridge, so the tech would not have been feasible in practice with the ROM budgets of the early to mid 90s.

A lot of existing games manage "Mode7"-esque effects through other means that are more limited in scope but on the flip side don't suffer from the exact same technical limitations of Mode7 itself (mainly not having to sacrifice an entire background layer to achieve the effect). I think the most common is the swaying effect on backgrounds or large sprites by displacing/distorting them on a tile-by-tile basis. You can only sway the objects so far before it stops making sense visually compared to true rotation, but on the other hand I'd say it arguably looks better than true hardware rotation for what it's trying to do since you don't get the same kind of pixel artifacts from it.

Chuck Rock 2 for example makes pretty liberal use of the swaying motion. Or the leaning tower stage in Castlevania Bloodlines.

Last edited:

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
This demo works by streaming the whole level as a singular bitmap image (as opposed to being constructed out of tiles). It works but also means it's prohibitively expensive in terms of storage space. I believe the demo used a 1024x1024 bitmap which by itself is a full 16mbit cartridge, so the tech would not have been feasible in practice with the ROM budgets of the early to mid 90s.

That's one technique, but he also has it working with equivalent quality using the external 64k SRAM present on flashcarts, which I think would have been a more feasible enhancement back in the day.

VG Aficionado

Nov 6, 2017
Since Red Zone is mentioned and I never knew about it, I checked a video on Youtube and I instantly realised about the similarities with Sub-Terrania, a game I loved! Developed by the same people (Zyrinx), both games share the same sound effects, music style, text font, map features, etc.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Since Red Zone is mentioned and I never knew about it, I checked a video on Youtube and I instantly realised about the similarities with Sub-Terrania, a game I loved! Developed by the same people (Zyrinx), both games share the same sound effects, music style, text font, map features, etc.

Man, sub-terrania was the only mega drive game that I played and couldn't beat.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Really? I think it had an easy mode too. The controls were great, very precise inertia and gravity physics for the time.

The last three stages were crazy and harder, but very cool.

There was a level where you had to go through acid and I could never make it to the other side in time. I must've missed something but I could never figure it out. Not like I could check the internet either lol. I should watch a playthrough on YouTube, I think it was level 9 (I'll be blown away if that's accurate considering it's been 25 years...)

VG Aficionado

Nov 6, 2017
There was a level where you had to go through acid and I could never make it to the other side in time. I must've missed something but I could never figure it out. Not like I could check the internet either lol. I should watch a playthrough on YouTube, I think it was level 9 (I'll be blown away if that's accurate considering it's been 25 years...)

Yeah, I think the acid parts were in levels 7 and 8. I don't think it took more than a bit of skill to beat them, I'm not sure if it could be something else.

If it was level 9 (I think there was no acid in it), there's a change in the refuel mechanic that you might have missed, as you basically need to obtain a nuclear cell at the beginning and then you go on to beat the game without worrying about refueling again. I suppose the final stage can't be cleared without it in any case.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I think the acid parts were in levels 7 and 8. I don't think it took more than a bit of skill to beat them, I'm not sure if it could be something else.

If it was level 9 (I think there was no acid in it), there's a change in the refuel mechanic that you might have missed, as you basically need to obtain a nuclear cell at the beginning and then you go on to beat the game without worrying about refueling again. I suppose the final stage can't be cleared without it in any case.

I just remember not being able to get through a submerged section in time, not sure if it was acid or running out of fuel.

The physics were well done though, it was really unique in the way it controlled.

Anyway, back on topic, if I had to pick the moments that stand out the most for me in terms of being blown away by graphics on the Mega Drive, I'll have to with Toy Story, followed by Earthworm Jim and Vectorman. I was also really impressed with Sonic 3 when it launched, really love how that game looks. The first Sonic really stood out from the crowd when it launched as well.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Wow, Panorama Cotton and Ranger-X are stunning.

Also, watching this video I learned that I have no idea how to control Alien Soldier (tried it for the first time on the Genesis Classics Collection the other day).

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Man, sub-terrania was the only mega drive game that I played and couldn't beat.
Aw yiss, more Sub-Terrania love. Love to see it make an appearance on the Classic, more people need to know about this game.

Not necessarily technically impressive though, save for the intro which I loved... but even that was trumped by the Red Zone intro.

Edit: As for the most impressive for me, I'd obviously have to rank Toy Story, Batman and Robin, and Virtua Racing, even Sonic 3D Blast... if only for that FMV intro. Nothing else really springs to mind, though.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
I remember hearing that Mega Drive was third place in sales in Japan, after Super Famicom and PC-Engine/TG16. If that's true, and I'm not positive that it was, I could see why they didn't prioritize it, since it would only really be selling to the Western markets instead of both in their home turf and abroad on SFC.

That's true enough, and in Konami's case they also came to that market relatively late--Hyperstone Heist and Sunset Riders were their first Mega Drive games and they were released at the end of 1992, four years after the MD launched in Japan.

As it happens, the team that became Treasure quit Konami because they wanted to make a Mega Drive game and were told no, only for Konami to start making MD games pretty much immediately after those guys left.

Mar 18, 2019
The following Mega Drive games were doing 3D polygons on the base hardware without any enhancement chips:

Star Cruiser
Hard Drivin'
Race Drivin'

Fukuzatsu

Oct 25, 2017

There are tons of Japanese Mega Drive games that will run your wallet out of business:
Sparkster: Rocket Knight Adventures 2
Surging Aura
Eliminate Down
Pulseman

An 'expensive' game can be anywhere from 200 USD (an actually very good deal) to 500 or more. It's just a shame so many are actually really cool games.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
How does the European version compare? I rented it back in the day and it was pretty damn hard.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can do it in software, although far from as efficiently of course.

A lot of existing games manage "Mode7"-esque effects through other means that are more limited in scope but on the flip side don't suffer from the exact same technical limitations of Mode7 itself (mainly not having to sacrifice an entire background layer to achieve the effect). I think the most common is the swaying effect on backgrounds or large sprites by displacing/distorting them on a tile-by-tile basis. You can only sway the objects so far before it stops making sense visually compared to true rotation, but on the other hand I'd say it arguably looks better than true hardware rotation for what it's trying to do since you don't get the same kind of pixel artifacts from it.

Chuck Rock 2 for example makes pretty liberal use of the swaying motion. Or the leaning tower stage in Castlevania Bloodlines.

Far better than the fake mode 7 used in Street Racer.

Great video. Those are the usual suspects of genesis hardware pushers. Id swap Aladdin with Vectorman though