• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Oh, for sure. But I'd say back in the day it's mostly a LOL SO IRONIC edgy way. Not that that's any better. But it wasn't the state it is now.

The issue with being ironic about something is that it soon attracts the wrong kind of people who think you're being sincere and then believe they're in good company, then they start to overwhelm what was once there.

But I will say, /b/ was always a shithole, but was also always the board every other board hated.
Perhaps to some, but make no mistake that people laughing at that time were laughing alongside bonafide white nationalists. It isn't by happenstance that memes and jokes often centred around white nationalism and nazi iconography.

When a board has this issue for over a decade and a half then it is appropriate to refer to it critically as a whole. If people choose to visit and use the site despite this knowledge it doesn't matter what board they frequent, they're knowingly pitching their tent in the campsite of white nationalism.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Oh, for sure. But I'd say back in the day it's mostly a LOL SO IRONIC edgy way. Not that that's any better. But it wasn't the state it is now.

The issue with being ironic about something is that it soon attracts the wrong kind of people who think you're being sincere and then believe they're in good company, then they start to overwhelm what was once there.

But I will say, /b/ was always a shithole, but was also always the board every other board hated.
Honestly, as someone who stopped visiting 4chan early, and saw friends stick around a bit longer than me(and some people way too much longer that I don't talk to) It's never changed, the ironic edgy stuff you remember were people validating others on that site for believing that to be what it actually is.

Everywhere was a shithole, there were just useful things that you put on blinders to get to.

OaklandKao

Mar 21, 2022
Perhaps to some, but make no mistake that people laughing at that time were laughing alongside bonafide white nationalists. It isn't by happenstance that memes and jokes often centred around white nationalism and nazi iconography.

When a board has this issue for over a decade and a half then it is appropriate to refer to it critically as a whole. If people choose to visit and use the site despite this knowledge it doesn't matter what board they frequent, they're knowingly pitching their tent in the campsite of white nationalism.
Definitely. It's just a shame that you have boards like /vr/, which has tracked down and saved lost games before and you'd have to associate with the awful boards like /pol/ and /v/ to even consider going. 4chan at this point is a lost cause unless they actually take this shit seriously, which won't happen. Ever.

Honestly, as someone who stopped visiting 4chan early, and saw friends stick around a bit longer than me(and some people way too much longer that I don't talk to) It's never changed, the ironic edgy stuff you remember were people validating others on that site for believing that to be what it actually is.

Everywhere was a shithole, there were just useful things that you put on blinders to get to.
I honestly probably just have rose tinted glasses from 2007/2008 /v/ with Japan Time. Not to mention early /v/ (IMO) was a haven for discussing more obscure or cult classic kind of games. I will absolutely credit that for exposing me to God Hand back in the day.

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
i've been thinking about this a lot recently so i'm looking for an answer because i dunno

why are mass shooters so willing to kill a few people if they know the moment the cops show up, they'll be in jail forever?

Oct 30, 2017
i've been thinking about this a lot recently so i'm looking for an answer because i dunno

why are mass shooters so willing to kill a few people if they know the moment the cops show up, they'll be in jail forever?
It really seems to be a 50/50 in terms of the killer either complying with cops or killing themselves. This guy, for example, was talked down by police as he held a gun to his chin. Do we call it cowardly? I'm not sure. I think the killers who comply and are arrested are so far down the rabbit hole that they don't even consider what is going to happen after the event. Especially the younger killers who are motivated by notoriety and are indoctrinated early on to be terrorists with no regard for human life. For them, it seems they see the finality of their lives once they've finished their "mission."

I'm not going to dive into armchair psychology in terms of diagnosing, but a person with anti-social traits can demonstrate two important symptoms: 1) disregard for the safety of others and 2) disregard for established laws and authority. Combine the two and you see why mass murderers who yield to police seem to not really give a shit. To them, everyone outside themselves or their own "in-group" (4chan, Discord channels, etc.) are expendable and considered less than.

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
4chan's current owner Hiroyuki Nishimura has responded to controversy about 4chan... By once again claiming that 4chan doesn't have a white supremacy problem because he is not a white man.

What a complete and utter lack of engagement with the actual content on his website. You can't just ignore that your website is bathed in the n-word and say it's all good because you own the website and you're... also not black. Christ.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
*Black people get massacred*

"But Discord moderation is HARD!"

giphy.gif
Lmao

Nov 3, 2021
4chan at this point is a lost cause unless they actually take this shit seriously, which won't happen. Ever.
They literally can't take it seriously. The unique selling point of 4chan is that it's easy for anybody to instantly post on it without an account. Without that unique selling point, nobody would use it.

That unique selling point means, and will always mean, that it is the home of things people want to say but are not allowed to say. Which are (mostly) awful things.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
4chan's current owner Hiroyuki Nishimura has responded to controversy about 4chan... By once again claiming that 4chan doesn't have a white supremacy problem because he is not a white man.

He knew what he was buying and is just deflecting because it would impact advertising and revenue streams. This is why he tried to cut 4chan into two "layers" with more concerning content under the NSFW banner. Why oh why would /b/ be under NSFW?

There's literally gifs of the shooting being posted there as I type this. But no, no problem on the message board at all.

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia

I started going there in 2003, it was a shithole then too. People honestly believed the racist shit they where posting

Chrono1005

Banned
Mar 29, 2022
User Banned (Permanently): Troll Account
The weird thing is that he did this in a black neighborhood and didn't get shot. In my state we don't have a concealed carry law. I probably would of just shot him dead but others would of also. Maybe in a suburban area you can just get away with killing people. Going to a middle / low class area and not being harmed doing it is weird. I live in a decent neighborhood and I assume most people around me are carrying.

Oct 30, 2017
The weird thing is that he did this in a black neighborhood and didn't get shot. In my state we don't have a concealed carry law. I probably would of just shot him dead but others would of also. Maybe in a suburban area you can just get away with killing people. Going to a middle / low class area and not being harmed doing it is weird. I live in a decent neighborhood and I assume most people around me are carrying.
I can't tell if this is stereotyping low-income/urban neighborhoods or if you're just woefully uninformed.

The residents who were interviewed had stated that the area and store in which people were murdered had seen a resurgence thanks to the communal effort of its residents. It seems like it was an area of Buffalo in which everyone knew one another and was relatively safe given the community spirit and cooperation.

Insinuating that at least one black person had to have been carrying a gun because you believe all low-income areas are fraught with violence doesn't mean that's how it is everywhere or was in this situation.

YMB

Nov 6, 2017
Not every minority is walking around strapped and not every urban area is set up for a potential warzone. That said, its NY. it has some of the strictest gun laws in the country. You cant open carry even if you wanted to and its extremely difficult to get a concealed carry license. You also cant just run out of your home with a gun to shoot someone since its aduty to retreat state. Its probably bullshit, but it was one of the reasons the shooter gave as to why he apparently choose the area he did, he didnt want to worry about anyone shooting back outside of the two security guards who he expected.

Chrono1005

Banned
Mar 29, 2022
Not every minority is walking around strapped and not every urban area is set up for a potential warzone. That said, its NY. it has some of the strictest gun laws in the country. You cant open carry even if you wanted to and its extremely difficult to get a concealed carry license. You also cant just run out of your home with a gun to shoot someone since its aduty to retreat state. Its probably bullshit, but it was one of the reasons the shooter gave as to why he apparently choose the area he did, he didnt want to worry about anyone shooting back outside of the two security guards who he expected.
Oh I didn't know that security guards were shooting at him. I guess that makes sense then. Carry on

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018

It's not weird at all. It's weird to think everyone in a low income area is always carrying. As someone who has lived in these areas my entire life, the vast majority of folks I knew didn't walk around with guns.

idonteven

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
guy was wearing body armor,high chance you would be dead before him

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017

Well, specially these white supremacists one think they'll be sparking the race war and that their side will be taking over and they'll be let go. In the meantime, they get taken alive and they get to spew more hate and their manifesto so others are converted to their side. Essentially they think that they won't ever serve any real time or punishment

Chrono1005

Banned
Mar 29, 2022
It's not weird at all. It's weird to think everyone in a low income area is always carrying. As someone who has lived in these areas my entire life, the vast majority of folks I knew didn't walk around with guns.
One person carrying in the near by area doesn't classify as " everyone " but sure. The point is I was surprised noone responded but apparently there were security guards that returned fire. So my original statement is irrelevant.

Chrono1005

Banned
Mar 29, 2022
Yep the shooter, he was hit center mast right in the plate. Security guard never stood a chance.
Oh damn so he killed the security guards ?. I thought all the victims were unarmed. Atleast he did he's best to protect. I was under the impression that there were NO police or security guards in the area of the shots firing.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
One person carrying in the near by area doesn't classify as " everyone " but sure. The point is I was surprised noone responded but apparently there were security guards that returned fire. So my original statement is irrelevant.

I may have misunderstood you, friend. You pointed out that you thought most folks in your decent neighborhood are carrying and you made it sound like low income areas would have an even higher portion of folks carrying.

Jul 7, 2021

Just like every gun nut. Delusions of being some sort of cowboy. Had you been there and tried to shoot him you probably would have died as he would immediately have targeted you with superior firepower and while wearing body armor.

Like isn't a fucking HBO western.

Guns, for the most part, don't make you safer. As shown by stats for decades now, they are more likely to end up harming you or your loved ones than saving you from something like this.

Hell, remeber the guy that did manage to take on a mass shooter successfully only to get killed by the cops?

Chrono1005

Banned
Mar 29, 2022
I may have misunderstood you, friend. You pointed out that you thought most folks in your decent neighborhood are carrying and you made it sound like low income areas would have an even higher portion of folks carrying.
It's fine, I probably didn't express what I was trying to say correctly. I was under the impression that NO security guards or police were near by to return fire.I found that surprising since an AR would carry noise a decent range. My original statement was incorrect so it can be disregarded as there were security guards that returned fire.

Chrono1005

Banned
Mar 29, 2022
Just like every gun nut. Delusions of being some sort of cowboy. Had you been there and tried to shoot him you probably would have died as he would immediately have targeted you with superior firepower and while wearing body armor.

Like isn't a fucking HBO western.

Guns, for the most part, don't make you safer. As shown by stats for decades now, they are more likely to end up harming you or your loved ones than saving you from something like this.
The point is for him to target me. I'm not going to allow him to just harm innocent people that can't defend themselves. If I can draw his attention for even a minute while they hide then I'm okay with that. I'm not a gun nut, I don't even like guns. I only own one it's mainly for self protection just incase I end up in a situation like this. At least I can attempt to protect my family. I've had enough of this discussion so I'll let you guys carry on.

RIP to the victims.

Jul 7, 2021
At least I can attempt to protect my family. I've had enough of this discussion so I'll let you guys carry on.

RIP to the victims.

But they don't. That's the fact. Every study ever published shows that guns make you LESS safe.

You ignored those statistics because you are not making a rational choice. You are not making a rational choice because, like most gun owners, you are scared. Something is got you so scared that you cant make rational decisions when it comes to whatever it is that's got you scared.

We need less guns and less gun owners in this country, not more.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth

'She got mad': 911 dispatcher allegedly hung up during Buffalo shooting call

A 911 dispatcher has been placed on administrative leave and will probably be fired after allegedly hanging up on a Tops supermarket employee during Saturday's shooting rampage in Buffalo, New York, where a white supremacist allegedly killed 10 people.
I called 911, I go through the whole operator and everything, the dispatcher comes on and I'm whispering to her and I said 'Miss, please send help to 1275 Jefferson – there is a shooter in the store,'" Rogers told WGRZ.
Rogers said, "She got mad at me, hung up in my face."

Rogers said she proceeded to call her boyfriend whom she instructed to call 911.

"I felt that lady left me to die yesterday," she added.

www.theguardian.com

‘She got mad’: 911 dispatcher allegedly hung up during Buffalo shooting call

Dispatcher could lose her job after Tops employee says dispatcher took on a nasty tone and asked her why she was whispering

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
The point is for him to target me. I'm not going to allow him to just harm innocent people that can't defend themselves. If I can draw his attention for even a minute while they hide then I'm okay with that. I'm not a gun nut, I don't even like guns. I only own one it's mainly for self protection just incase I end up in a situation like this. At least I can attempt to protect my family. I've had enough of this discussion so I'll let you guys carry on.

RIP to the victims.
If you're caught off guard and somebody with body armor is going through a grocery store with the intent to kill and is using an assault rifle with a large magazine, you won't stand a chance and you won't distract. The victims in situations like this are the ones who are dead before they could even react. They're just minding their own business, grabbing groceries or loading their cars or whatever. By the time you realize you've got a gun pointed at you, you'd be shot. Literally the only way that you could serve this function is if you're at the store and you're lucky enough to have been deeper within the store when the attack began. That's it. Blind luck.

YMB

Nov 6, 2017
guy was wearing body armor,high chance you would be dead before him
Body armor isnt a get out of jail free card. A 10mm extreme penetrator round out of a Glock 29 center mass on IIIA armor isnt going to kill you but will practically break every bone in your sternum which can open up a lot of options within a fight and cause the shooter to pause, stagger and retreat. Potentially buying time for others to get away. Thats assuming you hit the armor itself and not any other part of their body of which a plate carrier only really covers about 15-20% of someones figure. Body armor increases the likelihood of surviving a gun battle, but its not that big of a leap that your options are hopeless in coming up against someone whos wearing some.

Oct 30, 2017
Love how we got a hero showing up in this thread. Pretend badasses that think they wouldn't be pissing their pants hiding from an active shooter.

Rentaru

Nov 14, 2017
Listening to victims families scream out in anger on npr really hit me, I hope they will find some kind of happiness again.. can't imagine anything they are going through.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
He scoped the place before (according to locals), and also had somehow obtained demographic info of THAT specific store being primarily the elderly.

Locals said if he targeted stores in areas even a few blocks off, let's just say that armor would have barely helped.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
If you think that's what I am about Mammoth fucking hell. I was talking about content moderation cause it's like, my job. Sorry if I upset anyone. I would hope that at the very least a regular like you knows what the fuck I am about.

Despite the timing, my post wasn't directed at you. It's just I noticed when it's twitter we're all like "Hell yea, twitter needs to do better!" Then it's discord…folks are like "wait a minute, let's not act too rash now".

Of course there are challenges in moderation. But if someone's platform is used for vile shit like this that entire team has an obligation to figure it out.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
Despite the timing, my post wasn't directed at you. It's just I noticed when it's twitter we're all like "Hell yea, twitter needs to do better!" Then it's discord…folks are like "wait a minute, let's not act too rash now".

Of course there are challenges in moderation. But if someone's platform is used for vile shit like this that entire team has an obligation to figure it out.
Okay, whew. Thanks for clarifying. I was worried I said something really bad and couldn't for the life of me see what I had put to lead to that. Sorry for calling you out.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017

'She got mad': 911 dispatcher allegedly hung up during Buffalo shooting call

www.theguardian.com

‘She got mad’: 911 dispatcher allegedly hung up during Buffalo shooting call

Dispatcher could lose her job after Tops employee says dispatcher took on a nasty tone and asked her why she was whispering
You should include the conversation part of it, because it's even worse than it sounds,

"The dispatcher comes on and I'm whispering to her and I said, 'Miss, please send help to 1275 Jefferson there is a shooter in the store,' " Rogers told WGRZ. "She proceeded in a very nasty tone and says, 'I can't hear you, why are you whispering? You don't have to whisper, they can't hear you,' so I continued to whisper and I said, 'Ma'am he's still in the store, he's still shooting! I'm scared for my life, please send help!' Out of nervousness, my phone fell out of my hand, she said something I couldn't make out, and then the phone hung up."

and for those curious, she is getting fired, and even the union appears to be throwing her under the bus,
Erie County Executive Mark Poloncarz said at a Wednesday news conference that the 911 dispatcher has been placed on leave and could be fired by the end of the month. The dispatcher, who has not been publicly identified, has been on the job for eight years, according to the county.

"The individual was put on administrative leave pending a hearing which will be held on May 30 in which our intention is to terminate the 911 call taker who acted totally inappropriately not following protocol," he said.
A spokesperson with CSEA Local 815, the union that represents the dispatcher, said they could not comment on disciplinary actions or ongoing investigations.

Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
This doesn't seem to be very well written. Is he saying that a toothache is what lead him down his violent spiral?
He's saying that something as small as a toothache and not being able to get the insurance to cover it can send someone in the wrong direction to blame. Unfortunately it's much easier for someone of his age (who probably was raised in a conservative family with a white upper class neighborhood) to fall prey to that insane shit than be mad at our broken, capitalist system. If we had better systems to help our own such as free healthcare for all, maybe this wouldn't happen.

And don't think I have sympathy for this shit. Fuck him.

Litigator

Oct 31, 2017
As usual, if it was a brown, black, or Muslim person that did this the response wouldn't be "there's no way to prevent this". It would be a war drum and rallying cry for something.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
He's saying that something as small as a toothache and not being able to get the insurance to cover it can send someone in the wrong direction to blame. Unfortunately it's much easier for someone of his age (who probably was raised in a conservative family with a white upper class neighborhood) to fall prey to that insane shit than be mad at our broken, capitalist system. If we had better systems to help our own such as free healthcare for all, maybe this wouldn't happen.

Yeah that's what I thought upon rereading it. It literally doesn't matter what his issue was, what matters is that his solution to his issue was "Well time to go kill a bunch of negroes". That means on a fundamental level he's a violent racist, give him all the health care in the world and you're not getting rid of that part of him. I don't like the common insinuation that racism is going to be solved by better economics.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn

Problem is when America was particularly golden for a large amount of young white undereducated men they were still pulling off mass racist attacks. We can hem and haw if we went from 'Those Blacks want to take over my house and picket fence so I hate them' in the 1920's to 'Those Blacks are why I can't get a house and picket fence anymore' in 2022 and it's the same thing.

Also 'The Jews did this!' is like, the original bigot meme from the 1800's and even before that, well the internet and printing press, so I dunno why the thread is like 'This is new!'.

There's still an abstraction in many people's minds that this is all particularly a new thing as opposed to business as usual for America. Of course citizenry struggling with a basic lack of resources will turn things into a pressure cooker but even during prosperous times America finds a way to America and mass murder citizens because they aren't white straight males

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

One look at history tells me white people have never needed a reason to murder us.

This tweet is just rationalizing racism because, again, white people don't want to look inward.

May 14, 2021
No one is murdering minorities over healthcare. Minorities want better healthcare as much as or more than everyone else. Twitter continues to be fucking stupid.