• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alolan Rai

Jan 11, 2022
This is absolutely tragic for all who are injured, killed, family and friends of the victims, and those who witnessed the horror. Hopefully this terrible man is locked up the rest of his life.

We absolutely need to increase our gun control laws and look at actual systematic changes.

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
if people like this would put even half as much effort into something actually productive instead of his stupid prep list to massacre people, maybe theyd be happier. hes pathetic

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
yeah this dude was a fuckin nutjob- doesn't matter where his propaganda came from (not defending the chans) but he would have found justification somewhere

That's not how these things work.

It does matter where he got the propaganda from.

i... didn't say that?

also yeah, some people are just born whacked out and looking for a way to take out their shit on other people

No, they aren't. Environment plays a incredibly large role in folks' development.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
1- that's what i literally just said

2- environment plays a huge part but there's also a genetic component

You said it didn't matter where the propaganda comes from. It does. It's vitally important, actually.

What genetic component makes folks commit these terrible acts?

you can inherit literally any psychological disorder from genetics or at least have a predisposition to it?

i'm not playing the "the dude was mentally ill" card, dude is evil.

Predisposition to having a mental illness is not the same as a predisposition to violence.

Folks who are mentally ill are far more likely to be victims of violence than to commit violence.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I love how these threads always seem to evolve away from the issue of every rand dipshit having access to a gun, in order to low key excuse the assholes who think they need them to do shit.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
It just doesn't really benefit or lead to anywhere to default to "sometimes shit happens"

That's part of how we end up letting things slide like this

Hellshy

Nov 5, 2017
As a totally ignorant and naive person not from the USA

Why is there no gun control there again? Is "my rights" literally the only reason? Has there's been ANY movement to move to ban them?
Something about "the government will round us all up in pig pens if it wasn't for our guns." There are people walking around right now thinking the only thing that keeps them "free" is their AR.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Disgusting. We're at the point where the pipeline these extremists have been funnelled through is being highlighted with neon signs and alarm bells, and yet no action is being taken beyond punishing the individual and hunkering down until the next (inevitable) shooting.
yeah this dude was a fuckin nutjob- doesn't matter where his propaganda came from (not defending the chans) but he would have found justification somewhere
It 1000% matters where the propaganda came from lol what? "This would have happened no matter what" get outta here w that

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I love how these threads always seem to evolve away from the issue of every rand dipshit having access to a gun, in order to low key excuse the assholes who think they need them to do shit.

June is gonna be interesting not only for Roe v Wade probably getting overturned, but the Supreme Court is also due to rule on NY State vs Bruen, which is a 108 year old gun licensing law in NY on whether states can place restrictions on gun ownership. A number of blue states (CA, Hawaii, etc) have similar laws which would get tossed if SCOTUS rules against NY.

NY currently requires people who want to obtain a conceal carry permit (carry a gun hidden) to show proper cause, like a reason why you need it (i own a business, threats, etc). The challengers were denied permits and went to court saying the 2nd amendment does not require "proper cause" to carry a gun, concealed or not.

The simple reality is that gun ownership expanded dramatically during the 4 years of Trump, especially among minorities who realized they need to protect themselves and not rely on federal government or police, who were clearly turning more and more authoritarian. Its going to be extremely difficult to turn that back. Even todays shooting is going to cause gun sales to soar over the next few days, happens every time there is a mass shooting.

It will be interesting if more and more states put up gun control, restriction, licensing, etc laws and get it challenged in the supreme court, its extreme hypocrisy for the supreme court to claim state rights for abortion but then turn around and claim 2nd Amendment/federal override on any sort of state-driven gun control. No surprise though.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York

Nut job? Nope. This isn't a bug, this is an American feature. This is racists end goal. This is what that right wing "propaganda" gets us. This is their endgame.

When I be saying motherfuckers want to turn my family and I into strange fruit….what ya'll think? I just say that shit for effect? It's cause I've read a few history books. And there's a not insignificant number of white people in America that wants to exterminate anyone that doesn't look like them.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
They will grow up soon enough. Every generation that posts here (presumably X, Y, and Z but maybe some boomers too) thought our generation would be different. Personally I though the internet would solve a lot of these issues. I remember the hype as people got 56kbps modems and America Online for the first time. People able to connect and gain access to encyclopedia-grade information was going to make us all closer and erase the ignorance that underpinned a lot of this stuff. Future far better than the past.

We horribly miscalculated. If you don't sea with the root directly, it will simply infect the next promising thing and twist it into another vehicle for its propagation. Instead of destroying the foundations of hate, we have it instant, unchallenged access to an entire world of people and handed it the biggest megaphone in the room.

With video games, younger people are easier to radicalize. God knows what kind of cesspool most gaming communities are.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
It will be interesting if more and more states put up gun control, restriction, licensing, etc laws and get it challenged in the supreme court, its extreme hypocrisy for the supreme court to claim state rights for abortion but then turn around and claim 2nd Amendment/federal override on any sort of gun control. No surprise though.

The argument Alito is making is that there is no explicit right in the Constitution for abortion. There is an explicit right to bear arms. It's stupid all around.

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
I've been having such a hard time processing this all, especially with it happening within just a couple miles of me. My fiancee used to go to that Tops all the time before we moved in together. I have a couple close friends who live within walking distance of it.

Oct 27, 2017

I can't stand when supposedly liberal outlets and reporters don't just say the literal fucking words so they get picked up by Twitter's algorithm. It's almost like they don't want to directly call out Fox News and Tucker Carlson in the same Tweet with the words "white supremacist". Stop the fucking bush beating... Say shit directly using the literal words... enough with the inferences to "preserve decorum". You ain't doing anyone any favors by being coy like this.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I've been having such a hard time processing this all, especially with it happening within just a couple miles of me. My fiancee used to go to that Tops all the time before we moved in together. I have a couple close friends who live within walking distance of it.
Same. My sister and my partner used to go there. My partner's bank also was a block from there. My brother has my old spot close by (and is ok thankfully) so it hits like i've never experienced before. I don't know what to do with these feelings.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Every time there's a shooting, people find the stupidest ways possible to stick up for the attackers. Take a moment to reflect on what you're doing here.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
The racism is why most of that doesn't get addressed. FDR couldn't get healthcare reform done because of racism.
it absolutely feeds itself

Short of cold fusion providing near-free energy and Star Trek replicators to feed every mouth, I'm not sure how we even begin to address the core issues.

With video games, younger people are easier to radicalize. God knows what kind of cesspool most gaming communities are.
I flash back to Cows, Lemmings, and Sheep on Gamespot "System Warz" forums in the mid 2000s with much cringe.

We find new ways to recreate and simulate the same patterns of hate, bigotry, and supremacy.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Every time there's a shooting, people find the stupidest ways possible to stick up for the attackers. Take a moment to reflect on what you're doing here.

Yea, it's really something. Like dude is just loony and not being gassed up to take action.

Yep. That's what gets me. I say let's not pretend there isn't an entire government apparatus pushing people like that in the way of innocent people that happen to not be white.

What do people think happens when you claim white people are being exterminated by "replacement"? What do people think happens when you claim "those" people are "the problem" with America?

Racist does viciously racist shit and he's not racist and evil, nope. Mentally ill.

Bigots murder minorities because they fucking hate us and don't want us here and believes our presence is making their home a shittier place. Who else is helping push that narrative?

Look at all these mentally ill people…if only we gave them health care!
170814010139-charlottesville-white-supremacists-tiki-torch-780x439.jpg

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
At this point, fox news and republicans are actively nurturing terrorists in the US. Infuriating and sad.

Depths

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2- environment plays a huge part but there's also a genetic component

What genetic component causes people to be racist and travel 4 hours to murder black people?

The motherfucker even explains how he was radicalized into this thought in his manifesto and people wanna still act like "genetics"?

Last edited:

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
Evil is not a useful descriptor because it allows us to pretend that a person is an aberration, an other uniquely able to do this.

The reality is far darker—that most people who do this are products of their cultural environments. Like diseases, mass shooters arent born from nothing, they come from a particular place.

So many parts of this country are proverbial sewage pits, breeding grounds for dysentery in human form.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
I can't stand when supposedly liberal outlets and reporters don't just say the literal fucking words so they get picked up by Twitter's algorithm. It's almost like they don't want to directly call out Fox News and Tucker Carlson in the same Tweet with the words "white supremacist". Stop the fucking bush beating... Say shit directly using the literal words... enough with the inferences to "preserve decorum". You ain't doing anyone any favors by being coy like this.

Agreed.

Oct 30, 2017
It must be infuriating and terrifying at the same time being a black person/minority in the States knowing so many white supremacists are salivating at the thoughts of commiting these evil fucking acts.

Then you add in the easy access to weapons of war and FUCKING BODY ARMOUR (why can civvies buy fucking body armour?) and its a match made in hell for these monsters.

Fuck man this makes me so fucking mad. And Im not even American!!!

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Tits guy is a psychotic incel and 4chan is a disease.

I read the first page of this shits manifesto and he's using Argentina as the only white nation that has high birth rates.

It's crazy to me that 4chan can't be dealt with when they are the ones that shape these assholes

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
Form what I hear, he streamed this to about 20 of his friends on Twitch. One of them (Canadian) has recorded it and is now spreading it about. Is there any more that can be done with this information in terms of the authorities? I understand the cat is out of the bag already in terms of the footage being spread but I think it's important not to let it run rampant.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
Well what can you say that hasn't already been said 10,000 times?

RIP to the victims and their families.

vpricot

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
ditto with the other Buffalonians in this thread. I lived a short walk away and had to call my aunt to make sure she was okay. it's just surreal. i've felt sick and angry all day. that feeling of being about to cry but it just never happens. it's hard to even comprehend it all.