• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017

"One U.S. service member and two American Department of Defense contractors were killed in a terror attack on a military base in Kenya that houses some U.S. military personnel. The Somali terror group al-Shabab has claimed responsibility for the attack that Kenyan authorities said had been repelled with four militants killed in the fighting. "

According to the news release, the attack on the compound involved indirect and small-arms fire. There was an initial penetration of the perimeter, but Kenya Defense Forces and U.S. Africa Command repelled the al-Shabaab attack.
Kenya Defense Forces said the attempt was made at approximately 5:30 a.m. local time to breach security at Manda Air Strip and that it had successfully been stopped and the air strip was safe.

So are other terror groups using the recent U.S. assassination as a reason to begin launching more attacks?

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
Any terrorist attacks that are born out of the Iran disaster are likely to take a little while. There's usually a planning period before they rush into something

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
The assassination is going to be a great recruitment tool for a while.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Not to split hairs, but is it a terror attack if it targets military personel?

The answer is no. I like a definition a college professor of mine gave (he was a staunch Republican too): Terrorism is targeting non military targets or threatening violence against non military targets to achieve a religious or political goal by by trying to terrorize the population into changing their mind. I think military targets are 100% legitimate in a war.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
I fail to understand how this classifies as a terror attack. A military base is supposed to be attacked, sooner or later, and there was a gunfight with people dying on both sides. I cant see how this is supposed to inflict terror in anyone. I don't think Kenya is a place where USA military people feel safe and that the attack was anything close to a surprise.