• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So the next time you discuss millions and billions and trillions of dollars with someone, use those numbers.

Saladin

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2021
how-dare-you-james-franco.gif

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
I tell people all the time that Jeff Bezos could spend 100k/hr for the rest of his life and never run out of money

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Big number words get lumped together and don't really get properly comprehended. Millions, billions, trillions. Meh, all the same.
But as exampled there is a huge difference. When talking about something like the size of the universe, it can be difficult for some people to really comprehend just how friggin' huge it is.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
www.youtube.com

Tick-Tock

Provided to YouTube by WaterTower MusicTick-Tock · Hans ZimmerInterstellar (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)℗ 2014 Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.Composer...

Silent

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I feel the majority of people don't realize the difference between a million and a billion. They seem equally as unattainable, so they get lumped in together often.

OP
OP
Ether_Snake

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, I feel the majority of people don't realize the difference between a million and a billion. They seem equally as unattainable, so they get lumped in together often.

Often when I told what is in the title to people they literally insist "no, that's impossible". And then they think about the two trillions spent on war in Afghanistan.

It's important for people to realize how much money is wasted and how much of austerity and budget-tightening is bullshit. We can all afford a great social safety net, money is just misallocated.

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
Assuming he lives another 40 years (he'd be 97), he could spend 500k/hr and not run out of money.

to be fair, I made that calculation up a long time ago before his wealth really ballooned up. That's insane it's 5x more now… that's not even accounting for interest and continued wage growth. Absolutely disgusting.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
Assuming he lives another 40 years (he'd be 97), he could spend 500k/hr and not run out of money.
Ok, I see this everywhere but Bezos and many other billionaires don't have billions in the banks like many suspect. Their wealth appraisals are based on assets they own. It's theoretical wealth if they liquated everything. If Bezos decides to sell his entire Amazon stock tomorrow, it will literally crash the stock prices for Amazon. They can't just liquidate their assets like this. Even selling properties is not easy. It takes a while to find a buyer and above all, they will be taxed incredible amount of money. Their main goal is to avoid taxes. This is just FYI.

OP
OP
Ether_Snake

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

If he spent one million dollars every twelve days, it would take him 31 years to spend one billion dollars.

The thing is it's a matter of what would they spend it on. There is a reason Bezos is losing to Musk when it comes to the space race (well many); if he started funding things out of his own pocket at this point, he'd be out of billions quickly. For an individual it's a lot of money, but once you actually try to put it to use to make big lasting changes the money burns away fast. There are so many shitty infrastructure projects that go nowhere and cost 2-3 billions. A stupid war over essentially nothing ended up costing 2 trillions. Where exactly did that money go?

That's why the key problem when it comes to wealth accumulation is less about how much wealth some people have, it's: how do you fund something that isn't going to just vaccuum money out into a void. That requires excellent governance, whether in a public or private project. And that is sadly rare. Because we could tax the hell out of billionaires, and spend the money on another dumb war against nothing.

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
It's also that America refuses to fund a certain specific thing that is universal healthcare that would drastically improve the lives of all Americans. It would encourage Americans to see the doctor more frequently, hence making Americans healthier and further placing less strain on the healthcare system and hospitals. That we don't do that is fucking mind-boggling. Long term, it would save us a fuck ton of money.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY

Good point but racing is not something everyone does in their everyday life.
people should more often, companies definitely do.

time= money, your time is worth more than you think
Minutes and Hours, sure. Not seconds though. I know because I've worked with operations department in my company. They check how much time certain things cost to come up with certain fees associated with making kits and such.