• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CNoodles

Banned
Mar 7, 2019
I get my flu vaccination every year but i am also hesitant to get Covid vaccination.( will probably still get it) If this thing comes out in the fall does nobody think this is rushed? I don't really care about FDA approval cause they are just as corrupted as the next guy.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A lot of people from Eastern Europe think this way as well.

When my wife and I were attending birthing classes (here in Taipei) I met a Russian dude who was a staunch anti-vaxxer. He was spouting some wild fucking nonsense.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
each vaccine development goes through 3 phases. First is on animals. Second is safety for humans. Third is effectiveness for humans. All those vaccines in development already passed the second phase (are safe). Being effective is another thing, it is not possible to achieve 100%. As I said in another post, the best vaccine we developed was 92% effective, flu is about 60-70%. That is why it is important to everyone gets vaccinated, only that way we stop the speed of the virus and protect the 30% that didn't get enough protection.
How many ppl are typically in clinical trials? Typically do new issues, side effects, etc pop up when a vaccine goes wide? Again, I'm not at risk and would not get one right away. Leave it to the ppl that truly need it to get it first (and to work out kinks). I would eventually get it but not right away. Even those of you that want it right away likely won't be able to

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
Considering how fast thing is being developed, I definitely don't want to be first to get it. Russia and China are already reportedly skipping steps to get their vaccines out and considering how badly this country wants to get back to normal, I wouldn't be surprised if a few shenanigans were employed here also. I'll wait a bit to see how the first round of people fare, and then I'll get mine.

edit:

The poll, released Friday, found that 65 percent of survey respondents said that they would get such a vaccine if it was "available right now."

The title of the article misrepresents the poll. I wouldn't get it "right now" either. I would get it eventually.

99nikniht

Oct 28, 2017
That's fine. Just die then lol

I largely agree with this. If they want to roll that die with long term tissue damage (nerves, lungs, and blood vessels) and or death, then that's totally on them.

I will feel bad for those that are immuno-compromised that won't be able to safely receive the vaccine.

How many ppl are typically in clinical trials? Typically do new issues, side effects, etc pop up when a vaccine goes wide? Again, I'm not at risk and would not get one right away. Leave it to the ppl that truly need it to get it first (and to work out kinks). I would eventually get it but not right away. Even those of you that want it right away likely won't be able to

Phase three trials for the current potential batch of vaccines are 30k test subjects. Roughly half half split between between who receives an placebo and the other have receiving a proper dose.

Edit: It was 30k test subjects, not 50k.

Last edited:

amon37

Oct 27, 2017
I want a vaccine but "operation warp speed" makes me think I may not want the first rushed one. Until I see some results that aren't a clinical trial

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
It's an "internet thing".

I forget who said it, but my favorite tweet of all time was something to the effect of "it's almost like we werent ready as a culture for low grade telepathy" in regard to social media. It just rings so true to me.

It's like we're at the initial stages of being a hive mind. And have no checks or balances for when toxic concepts enter the telepathic flow.
Unfortunately, the most scummy of companies ended up winning big. Reddit, Facebook, Twitter, etc. If they had any fucking moral standing, they would have shut down a ton of this nonsense. Before Trump.

gillian03

Oct 28, 2017
I'm trying to attend classes overseas next year. I'll take the vaccine because it'll probably be a requirement for most educational institutions around the world.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
I really think in like a few centuries when population density is presumably higher and vaccines are even more important, anti vaxxers will have to be forced into compliance or like shipped to a fucking island. Unfortunately I don't think improving education will be enough by that time. The whole thing is shitty and crazy and unimaginable even today. In the year 2520 when there are way more people in the world, if a pandemic breaks out and people insist on conspiratorial loony shit about vaccines and are threatening the lives of countless others, they will need to be dealt with.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
I largely agree with this. If they want to roll that die with long term tissue damage (nerves, lungs, and blood vessels) and or death, then that's totally on them.

I will feel bad for those that are immuno-compromised that won't be able to safely receive the vaccine.

Phase three trials for the current potential batch of vaccines are 50k test subjects. Roughly half half split between between who receives an placebo and the other have receiving a proper dose.
And do all those ppl get exposed to it?

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Anti-vaxxers + Trumpers. Yeah, I could see that being about 1 in 3. I read a report that a lot of anti-vaxxers are wealthy Democrats, and there's a big anti-vaxxer movement in my state.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Most employers worth a damn would fire you if you refuse the vaccine and you are required to work in office.

Zorg1000

Banned
Jul 22, 2019
I plan on getting it immediately but I do have a question for Era: what do you tell a person who has never been anti-vax but still wants to wait a bit to get this specific vaccine.

I find it hard to really argue even though I don't share the opinion. I don't really see it as being "anti-vax" to not take a vaccine as soon as it hits the market.
Thats kind of the boat I'm in, I plan on getting the vaccine for me and my family but I dont think I will do it right away, I want to wait and see how safe and effective it is.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Is 70% vaccination rate enough to achieve herd immunity and "beat" coronavirus? I recall seeing an expert statement that it was around 60%, I think in context that it was unachievable just by exposure alone, but not sure if I'm recalling accurately.

Nov 27, 2017
California
I won't get it for a month or two
Tbh I need to see how it's handled and how people's bodies take it
Plus I would want a senior to get it before me, or a doctor/nurse since it'll be in short supply

I already stay home and wear a mask when I go out so I can continue that

rainking187

Oct 25, 2017
I wish we could resurrect people that died of diseases that are easily curable today just to have them tell anti-vaxxers how stupid they are.

Dogo Mojo

Oct 27, 2017
I would be more likely to take it as long as it's not coming from the United States. I'm in no way anti vaccination but too many pharmaceutical companies in the United States will do whatever Trump says for the potential profit.

99nikniht

Oct 28, 2017
Is 70% vaccination rate enough to achieve herd immunity and "beat" coronavirus? I recall seeing an expert statement that it was around 60%, I think in context that it was unachievable just by exposure alone, but not sure if I'm recalling accurately.

Herd immunity percentage depends on the disease in question. Some of the more common diseases like measles, mumps, and rubella are in the 80-90% range.

I can not speak specifically for Covid-19, but I read that an effective herd immunity for it would be between the ranges of 50-70%.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
That's fine. Just die then lol

This shit is so fucked up. You are a) a sociopath and b) don't give a fuck about people who can't receive vaccinations due to immunodeficiency because you want to own the cons. The anti-vaxx movement is not even remotely isolated to America and is even worse in other "first-world" countries. The free spread of unchecked, unverified, unregulated information across the internet has lead to this.

Tell me the substantive difference between these two things:

1) Saying that a single mom should pull herself out of poverty by her own bootstraps in the two hours of free time she has outside of caring for her children and working so that they can attend college and;
2) Saying that a single mom should educate herself on vaccination by her own bootstraps outside of easily consumable byte-sized youtube/facebook videos in the two hours of free time she has outside of caring for her children and working so that they can attend college

1 in 3 Americans are morons and i have no sympathy for them for whatever happens to them.

You're ambivalent towards people dying horrible deaths and spreading a deadly disease to vulnerable populations, please re-examine your thoughts and gain a basic understanding of herd immunity and immunodeficiency. The fuck is wrong with people.

Last edited:

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
ngl im not getting the vaccine when it drops imma wait it out a month or two then get it just to see if theres no fuck shit with it.

Oct 29, 2017
If it is approved by trustworthy organizations sure. If it is only approved by my current government fuck no I don't trust them.

Johnny956

Oct 25, 2017
I know some people who 100% are pro-vaccine who gets their kids vaccinated according to schedule and everything but have told me they're waiting on the Covid one at least for a few months if not longer to see if any serious side effects appear. Some feel it's being rushed I guess. I won't be one of them, I'll get it the first chance it's available for me.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Tell me the substantive difference between these two things:

1) Saying that a single mom should pull herself out of poverty by her own bootstraps in the two hours of free time she has outside of caring for her children and working so that they can attend college and;
2) Saying that a single mom should educate herself on vaccination by her own bootstraps outside of easily consumable byte-sized youtube/facebook videos in the two hours of free time she has outside of caring for her children and working so that they can attend college
The people who "educate" themselves on vaccinations I can almost guarantee are the ones who are against them. If you have time to be against a vaccine you have time to be for it. Argument number one is just common sense and if anyone actually believes that, well that's on them.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
I plan on getting it immediately but I do have a question for Era: what do you tell a person who has never been anti-vax but still wants to wait a bit to get this specific vaccine.

I find it hard to really argue even though I don't share the opinion. I don't really see it as being "anti-vax" to not take a vaccine as soon as it hits the market.
This. I work in medicine. I have all my vaccinations, my family has all their vaccinations, and I actively promote vaccines to anyone who asks, either officially during my job or after-hours informally. I am the complete opposite of an anti-vaxxer and am well-versed in how vaccines typically are developed, tested, and administered, including variable efficacy and the need for booster shots.

The speed with which the coronavirus vaccines are being pushed through the system may just reveal that the way we were developing vaccines in the past was archaic and inefficient and that everything will be just fine — although those who believe that a COVID vaccine will cure the world's woes and bring back normalcy are in for a rude awakening; however, there is also a not insignificant risk that enough corners were cut — for financial, scientific, and political reasons — that questioning the safety and efficacy of newly rushed vaccines is not just for the anti-vaxxers. There are things that we won't know until millions of people are given the vaccine and followed for an extended period of time.

As a frontline worker, I will likely be one of the first to receive the vaccine but I will do so wary and hopefully having read as much primary source info as possible.

Also of note, from my understanding, the FDA approval process is apparently much more transparent than in Europe.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The people who "educate" themselves on vaccinations I can almost guarantee are the ones who are against them. If you have time to be against a vaccine you have time to be for it. Argument number one is just common sense and if anyone actually believes that, well that's on them.

I really don't understand what you mean. What are you trying to say? It's incredibly easy to distribute anti-vaxx "evidence" on social media sites that is promoted in a convincing manner, especially to groups that have a natural distrust of the government for legitimate reasons. Black Americans are the group that is least likely to accept a coronavirus vaccine and essentially, you are saying that if they die, "well that's on them."

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't. And that comes with a caveat. Do you really think America would do it right? They've done everything wrong. They'd probably hotshot a vaccine that actually kills you before it deals with COVID. The country has locked in distrust as a built-in feature related to COVID issues now.

I'd wait months before getting it, because I absolutely do not trust those in charge who are pushing the systems for ideological and feel good ends. If Trump says it works, does it? Probably not. I'm no anti vaxxer, but we can't even begin to name anything this country has done right, because time and again, it intentionally aims for the worst response in any probability window.

It speaks to how incredibly awful America has been on this front. If the first batch of tests couldn't parse the difference between COVID and water, one can naturally have reservations if a vaccine even fucking works. We all know Trump will push anything as a solution, and from that perspective, there's an incredible danger. I absolutely expect the first ""vaccine"" he proposes is largely ineffective.

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I 100% support vaccines and have had all of them to date.

If Trump comes out tomorrow and says "here is a vaccine, everyone take it!" I'm cracking open a beer with the anti-vax nutcases and waiting to see. Once a country with some sort of respect remaining says it is ready, I'm all over it.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd probably wait to see results before I take it. I can't help but be distrusting of an FDA that's connected in any way to this WH.

Surely some of those within that 33% are thinking this as well. It's easy for us to just assume everyone's an anti vaxxer with a headline like this but it's total clickbait.

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't this just theoretically mean the virus would only spread amongst the 35% who refuse to get vaccinated? And thus would be a form of likely beneficial natural selection?

EDIT: This is assuming the vaccine is legit and not some dumb Trump hydrochloriquin stand-in (which is clearly what the question of the survey is getting at)

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
I 100% support vaccines and have had all of them to date.

If Trump comes out tomorrow and says "here is a vaccine, everyone take it!" I'm cracking open a beer with the anti-vax nutcases and waiting to see. Once a country with some sort of respect remaining says it is ready, I'm all over it.

I think this is a bit unfair. You need to consider that Trump isn't working on this vaccine, real scientists are.

I'm not at all concerned by the accelarated approach. We need to keep in mind that is a once in a century event and the whole world wants to beat this thing.

To get a vaccine to the approval stage it is tested on tens of thousands of people in phase 3.

If phase 3 is succesful, and regulatory then approves it in the approval phase, you bet your ass I'll be one of the first in line if possible.

It sounds like there will be plenty of availability so I won't have to stress.

edit:

We should all consider as well that it isn't just the FDA who isn't going to be approving this. USA is not the only country that has paid in advance for doses.

The AstraZeneca & Oxford University vaccine sounds very promising and a fair few countries have dipped into their pockets for that one. I think if it gets widespread regulatory approval, you can feel a bit more reassured.

Last edited:

aliengmr

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder how many of those just don't want to be "first in line"?

I don't. I mean, I'll get it eventually, but I won't immediately get it. If you were to ask me that question I would say no.🤷‍♂️