• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
1 Hour Power Outage at Micron Manufacturing Plant Could Mean Increased DRAM Prices Throughout 2021 | TechPowerUp

Recent news as covered by DigiTimes place one of Micron's fabrication plants in Taiwan as being hit with a 1-hour long power outage, which can potentially affect 10% of the entire predictable DRAM supply for the coming months (a power outage affects every step of the manufacturing process). Considering the increased demand for DRAM components due to the COVID-19 pandemic and associated demand for DRAM-inside products such as PCs, DIY DRAM, laptops, and tablets, industry players are now expecting a price hike for DRAM throughout 2021 until this sudden supply constraint is dealt with. As we know, DRAM manufacturers and resellers are a fickle bunch when it comes to increasing prices in even the slightest, dream-like hint of reduced supply. It remains to be seen how much of this 10% DRAM supply is actually salvageable, but projecting from past experience, a price hike seems to be all but guaranteed.

Iyagovos

Verified
Jan 18, 2018
Can anybody explain why an hour outage would affect something like this? Super fascinating stuff to me.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
Can anybody explain why an hour outage would affect something like this? Super fascinating stuff to me.
I thought the exact same thing. I'm not a manufacturing expert but I would guess that it would be something along the lines that when the power came back on they had to safely restart everything clearly up bottle necks. So it could have take up to multiple days to fully "restart" and make sure the process is going smooth. Alternative option is that had to throw out stuff that was mid flight because the power outage fucked it all up.

nekomix

Oct 30, 2017

I suppose wafers (the silicon disk used to manufacture the chips) were being processed at the time of the shortage and some were not in a stage where you can just pause the execution so they're basically lost. Knowing that a wafer can be a dozen thousands of chips, well... that's all the DRAM manufacturers were waiting for to increase the prices.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
I had just recently thought about building a new PC in the near future. Does this mean I should by the RAM now before the prices shoot up?

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
1 hour of downtime affecting 10% of supply makes no sense.

I suppose wafers (the silicon disk used to manufacture the chips) were being processed at the time of the shortage and some were not in a stage where you can just pause the execution so they're basically lost. Knowing that a wafer can be a dozen thousands of chips, well... that's all the DRAM manufacturers were waiting for to increase the prices.

Good point, i guess if they had to throw away a bunch of product i can see that.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
So their whole operation is running for ten hours total? Educate this fool please <--

Oct 28, 2019

This plus wafer manufacturing takes months.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Yeah I assumed this.

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
And that's somehow the fault of consumers and not their fault or the electricity provider's fault?

Iyagovos

Verified
Jan 18, 2018

This is sorta what I was thinking, that makes sense!

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
The article seems very speculative? Passing costs onto customers for manufacturing issues would be very surprising to me. These things are built into contracts.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
We need to diversify manufacturing of these critical components. Imagine it being a Chinese attack on Taiwan instead of a 1hr power outage

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
during the one hour power outage it's very possible numerous stages of manufacturing were in delicate actions. it's not like a consoles rest mode where you can just turn it off and pick up exactly where you were. it's like an hours power outage at a server farm, it's going to take time to get things back on. unlike with a server farm, you've got physical items that may be in unworkable states.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, how is a power outage affecting 10% of supply? Do these factories work on reserved time or something, and if the power is out they dont get the time back?
Anything currently in the pipeline/production when the power dies is likely a write off meaning that volume is no longer viable. Could be that it takes a while for some of the process to complete

nekomix

Oct 30, 2017
The article seems very speculative? Passing costs onto customers for manufacturing issues would be very surprising to me. These things are built into contracts.

It always happens especially when it's an oligopoly (here, Micron, Samsung and SK Hynix). Huge demand, a natural catastrophe, cartel agreements, you name it.

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017
How does that even work? That thing must be working non-stop 7/7 24/24 for sure but, 1 hour is still 0.0114% of the year's production..(⊙_☉)

Edit : Ah i understand now i think. To have that kind of impact, it most likely stopped the foundry and it jammed. If the molten Si solidifies, it pretty much means they have to scrap the crucible. I can't believe they would not have backups for that though.

Last edited:

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
For a brucey bonus they may well have Business Interruption cover as part of their commercial property insurance.

So best case scenario for them is that they get paid for all the chips they didn't make PLUS sell all the chips they DO make at a markup because supply has gone down!

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
Also curious about this. What kind of PC components is this going to affect in the near to long term?
SSD, Ram and GPU.

It is still crazy to me, that so much of our technology is made by companies in a country which not even recognized by most of the world
and threatened by China.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I was thinking something along those lines too, that it's possible everything that was in the middle of doing something was effectively destroyed by the outage.

If that's the case, and every step is so sensitive like that, they really should have a better system of ensuring they don't lose power. There's all kinds of ways to maintain redundant power during a utility outage. Our company does it. We have giant UPSs on the most critical stuff, and a huge generator out back that can keep the entire building running pretty much indefinitely as long as it has fuel. You'd think a production line like this would have those kinds of protections, and if they did and this still happened, then heads gonna roll, 'cause somebody done fucked up.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
I just scribbled down some schematics. I'll get to work on creating my own foundry.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Also curious about this. What kind of PC components is this going to affect in the near to long term?
Main components is SSD storage, RAM and anything that needs RAM (eg the GPU). This likely will affect phone and console production: DRAM prices has been dropping over the past year, and this will likely be an excuse for the Big Three DRAM producers to increase pricing.

metal

Banned
Nov 26, 2020
SSD, Ram and GPU.

It is still crazy to me, that so much of our technology is made by companies in a country which not even recognized by most of the world
and threatened by China.
Main components is SSD storage, RAM and anything that needs RAM (eg the GPU). This likely will affect phone and console production: DRAM prices has been dropping over the past year, and this will likely be an excuse for the Big Three DRAM producers to increase pricing.

Wow, crazy how dependant the world is on just a few companies.

Was thinking about buying RAM but I would need a GPU soonish too, which isn't happening for other reasons lol.

Oct 27, 2017
I imagine product makers like Sony, Xbox, Apple, Samsung already have set prices that I doubt they are flexible on. This seems like such an error on the person you're paying to make the product you are giving them money for, why would console or phone makers (especially the big ones) not just laugh when asked to pay more?

perhaps supply goes Down, yes, but wouldn't you just get what you can from them and sell as normal?

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
How does that even work? That thing must be working non-stop 7/7 24/24 for sure but, 1 hour is still 0.0114% of the year's production..(⊙_☉)

You have to look at the time it takes to manufacture the DRAM. If a power outage ruins the DRAM, then the time you've lost is how much time it takes to make the DRAM, not how much time the power was out.

If it takes me an hour to make a cake and someone ruins it, the time wasted isn't how long it took to ruin the cake. It's how long it took to make it in the first place. Now imagine the cake takes a week to make and that there was a whole assembly line of them.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
To produce any chip, there are around 300 steps involved at nanometer technology. Some of these step involves mantaining a room clean. Like, no kind of dust in the air at all. Ti achieve that, they need to use air "renovations" all the time. Once it's powered on, it can't be powered off. Since those seem to be have powered off, yelds are probably heavy affected for now , and will take a time to all the devices that are going through production right now to shake off this problem.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
The strange thing here is that they don't have power backup for products so sensitive to power outages.

Nov 8, 2017

I'm guessing there's many stages involved to make chips. Once each stage is started, they probably cannot be stopped. So if the whole factory is interrupted, each partial chip is worthless and can't be salvaged.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
So their whole operation is running for ten hours total? Educate this fool please <--
Think more like it takes 36 days to make a chip and if you lose power during that 36 days the entire batch is ruined. Thus 10% of the year is ruined. Obviously this is incredibly simplified but that's the basic mental model to use to think about it

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Worked on Fab power ups at HP on the emergency side and I can say that 1 hour of downtime can absolutely destroy everything from internal timelines, to testing, to recertification for people to go back in, to shipping rescheduling, contacting clients, scheduling later retests of fixes, to recorrecting back to proper environmental, literally just a huge disaster.