• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vash

Oct 28, 2017
It's a good thing people have differing tastes, because to me, the game looks very interesting. Knowing that it's a small team and a low-budget title does bring things into perspective.

I have no qualms with the art-style, and I like slower-paced strategic combat. The music and everything reminds me of the RPGs of years ago. Once you play it, it won't annoy you I think. It might annoy those around you.

I know my family, and girlfriend at the time, got really fed up with the repetitiveness of the overworld and battle music in DQVIII back then. XD

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017
Lol Gamefreak really killed some of y'all's parents huh?

It's really not that serious

Nov 4, 2017
Looks like a fun, cute little game to me, and the price is certainly enticing.

But that squeeky dialogue noise... Ugh. It's like crappy N64 audio all over again.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
The battle system is definitely inspired by trading card games. And I gotta say, that's what makes me interested. Pleased to hear it's under 20 hours long too, but considering I've got a lot of games to play as is... I'm probably going to save if for the holidays.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Lol Gamefreak really killed some of y'all's parents huh?

It's really not that serious

I must admit it amuses me a little to know Sword & Shield will be massively successful, loved by many and the forum moaning will be a distant memory. Until the next game comes out and the cry of the internet manbaby begins anew.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
those voice sounds are really bad. they need to change those.

otherwise looks like a game i could kick back and enjoy

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The more I watch it the more I really like that battle system. It looks deep and genuinely strategic, it's just a shame the person showing it off is really fucking it up at every turn.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
i think it's something we gotta play ourselves to properly judge because just watching it looks hella boring to be honest and that's not a fair critique of something that's meant to be played/experienced.

entock

Jan 13, 2018
The more I watch it the more I really like that battle system. It looks deep and genuinely strategic, it's just a shame the person showing it off is really fucking it up at every turn.

This. everyone is saying the fight took too long vs the Boss. It was definitely double the length it needed to be because whoever was playing was not very good.

Looks fun. Not sure if I want to pay full game price for it but I would enjoy it if it ever goes on sale.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
i wanna know why the player kept pressing struggle when they had a winning move every time lol
it was hard to watch

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Ugghh. Was really hoping they would fix the battle UI. But it is still a cluttered mess. And the battles were very slow. Looking like a skip.

Bookkoo

Apr 9, 2018
Any idea when reviews will be dropping? I already picked it up and pre loaded just curious what to expect

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Any idea when reviews will be dropping? I already picked it up and pre loaded just curious what to expect
I caught a video yesterday that I believe mentioned that the embargo would lift on the 16th. A bit weird for review day to be released day but I dunno, maybe that isn't uncommon for digital titles. Do we even know if anyone's planning an OT for this?

Frankly I'm not expecting great things from the reviews, if the footage I've seen over multiple outlets is anything to go by. It seems like a lot of people were not very quick to grasp the mechanics of battling and weren't thinking ahead much to get breaks and chance turns efficiently, which plays a role in why battles look like they take so long. Really the only thing I'm curious about from reviews is whether the story has any interesting turns to it.

Bookkoo

Apr 9, 2018
I caught a video yesterday that I believe mentioned that the embargo would lift on the 16th. A bit weird for review day to be released day but I dunno, maybe that isn't uncommon for digital titles. Do we even know if anyone's planning an OT for this?

Frankly I'm not expecting great things from the reviews, if the footage I've seen over multiple outlets is anything to go by. It seems like a lot of people were not very quick to grasp the mechanics of battling and weren't thinking ahead much to get breaks and chance turns efficiently, which plays a role in why battles look like they take so long. Really the only thing I'm curious about from reviews is whether the story has any interesting turns to it.

Hmm yeah that is a bit odd day of. Thanks

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It looks good and charming with the music being good, though I wish that it wasn't releasing so close to PokƩmon Sword and Shield as I am currently finishing up Dragon Quest XI and plan to play Luigi Mansion 3 till PokƩmon drops. Maybe I will play it after I have finished PokƩmon Sword.

It was also frustrating watching the player play the game as they clearly didn't quite grasp the game play mechanic and thus drawing the battle out longer, but eh it's fine it does seem like that there was a lot to take in.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
I think the hype for the game died the moment they revealed it to be a turn based RPG instead of some sort of town sim game.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not crapping on turn based games, I'm trying to say that folks seemed to be interested in a game more Town focused than Hero focused around the reveal. Like the second coming of Fantasy Life rather than seemingly standard turn based RPG.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not crapping on turn based games, I'm trying to say that folks seemed to be interested in a game more Town focused than Hero focused around the reveal. Like the second coming of Fantasy Life rather than seemingly standard turn based RPG.
I have never seen that take other than the rare hope for a My Life as King spiritual sequel

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I think the hype for the game died the moment they revealed it to be a turn based RPG instead of some sort of town sim game.
Err, I don't think that's it? I liked the initial teaser and love turn-based, but this particular system just isn't doing anything for me.

Town Sims feel even more niche than turn-based RPGs (Atelier recently tried one and it didn't go over great).

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Umm no again...the turn based attracted people from the beginning. The system implementation of it isn't attracting people currently. The voices are just annoying too.

Steve

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Parts Unknown
Hey there, Steve here. I shot this video and this wasn't a preview. This is footage from a review build I recorded from my couch.

This is the first chapter of the game, and what you're seeing is definitely me learning how the game works, since it's literally the first hour. Full review coming tomorrow.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey there, Steve here. I shot this video and this wasn't a preview. This is footage from a review build I recorded from my couch.

This is the first chapter of the game, and what you're seeing is definitely me learning how the game works, since it's literally the first hour. Full review coming tomorrow.
can you turn off the voices?

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
I don't know offhand the trend when it comes to Nintendo's digital delivery times, since I'm usually either asleep or at work at the times that normally happens. Usually eShop games are a noon-ish thing while the retail titles are midnight, but since this game had the option to pre-download I wonder if that might make a midnight release more feasible?

Jul 5, 2018
I don't know offhand the trend when it comes to Nintendo's digital delivery times, since I'm usually either asleep or at work at the times that normally happens. Usually eShop games are a noon-ish thing while the retail titles are midnight, but since this game had the option to pre-download I wonder if that might make a midnight release more feasible?
Typically it goes like this (for the US anyway): First party is midnight eastern, third party is the afternoon the next day.

With that said, occasionally third party games that don't allow prepurchase will be available at 2 a.m. local. Kero Blaster, Gunlord X, and Pool Panic come to mind so it must have to do with allowing pre-purchase discounts if memory serves. However, very recently Freedom Finger allowed a prepurchase discount and was available at 2 a.m. central.