• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
I'm really liking this. The style reminds me of Monster Hunter Stories and the combat is really interesting.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
why did the player not do an all break on like every single one of those turns against the monster?

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg

when it came down to the nitty gritty discussion of GF allocating resources internally to Pokemon or to other projects like this, people always used the "fact" that GF was busy on more than just pokemon as an excuse for them gutting the National dex and removing megas and Z moves. Now people are gonna try to act like little town hero took zero development resources?

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Now people are gonna try to act like little town hero took zero development resources?

i can't even start to begin to dissect this nonsensical argument but i can guarantee you that little town hero's man-hours are a drop in the bucket to pokemon's man-hours. they certainly didn't gut anything because of it.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
i can't even start to begin to dissect this nonsensical argument but i can guarantee you that little town hero's man-hours are a drop in the bucket to pokemon's man-hours. they certainly didn't gut anything because of it.

well tell that to the piles of people claiming that the reason GF gutted Pokémon was because of titles like Little town hero. Now that it isn't exactly a showstopper, it seems like people are backpedaling to downplay the resources needed to develop it. I've been saying gamefreak should have expanded their internal capacity for some time, and it fucking shows. Their games consistently are the worst looking 1st party releases from a technical level. Instead of splitting their teams up and putting them on different projects like this, they should have expanded their internal capacity greatly. Same goes for Creatures inc and the PokémonCG studio or whatever. This game looks rough and that's just solidifying my point.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
This looks like a "will wait for a sale" game. Charming but maybe not exciting enough to carry that charm far.

Oct 26, 2017
The game was directed by the director of Pocket Card Jockey; Masao Taya:

I do wish this was by the core Pokemon folks, like having Masuda direct and compose, Sugimori doing the character designs, etc.

I do love that they got the director of the team's last Nintendo-specific non-Pokemon game back for this one, and that it's their first non-Pokemon RPG since what, SNES?

But I do by far miss seeing Satoshi in the director's chair the most. Why can't he innovate and just bring his sheer genius back to the forefront. He gave up after 3 gens with Fire Red & Leaf Green I think being his last co-directing roles.

Him on a new IP could've been a true treat. Why'd he give up on creating?

Last edited:

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, this is the new Game Freak IP? I thought this was some random indie game.
Doesn't look very appealing tbh.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
well tell that to the piles of people claiming that the reason GF gutted Pokémon was because of titles like Little town hero. Now that it isn't exactly a showstopper, it seems like people are backpedaling to downplay the resources needed to develop it. I've been saying gamefreak should have expanded their internal capacity for some time, and it fucking shows. Their games consistently are the worst looking 1st party releases from a technical level. Instead of splitting their teams up and putting them on different projects like this, they should have expanded their internal capacity greatly. Same goes for Creatures inc and the PokémonCG studio or whatever. This game looks rough and that's just solidifying my point.

You're aware that this is a budget-priced game?

Doesn't look very appealing tbh.

It competes in the same price range as indie games, so the comparison with indie games isn't wrong IMO.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
It's both. The game has not even a physical release, it's a small project within Game Freak.

I think it's a good idea to let developers do something small from time to time, not only working only on loooong projects is exhausting, but if the studio does basically Pokemon games all the time I'm sure some people would prefer to do something different even if it's smaller.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Boy that's a lot of really grating sounds thrown together. I was interested in this, but it seems to be aimed squarely at 8-10 year olds and noone else.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Their internal team has grown, Little Town Hero was made by a very small team as per Toby Fox's own words, and Pokémon games are often some of the best looking on their platforms (BW2, SM, even as far back as Gold and Silver) and SWSH is certainly better looking than something like Three Houses or XC2 in handheld mode. The fact Town doesn't look amazing reflects the fact it's a cheap eShop only game.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
It's both. The game has not even a physical release, it's a small project within Game Freak.

I think it's a good idea to let developers do something small from time to time, not only working only on loooong projects is exhausting, but if the studio does basically Pokemon games all the time I'm sure some people would prefer to do something different even if it's smaller.
Okay that makes sense. Aren't they working on another "big" IP that's not Pokemon, too?

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Okay that makes sense. Aren't they working on another "big" IP that's not Pokemon, too?
No that I know, Game Freak releases some small projects on Nintendo hardware (games like HarmoKnight or Drill Dozer) and some games on other systems (Giga Wrecker or Tembo) that are basically indie games, but nothing big outside Pokemon. We know that the core team is small, and they outsource a lot for Pokemon games (at least did for SS), so I don't think we will see something big from them in the near future.

Deleted member 54216

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 26, 2019
That's because Pokemon is really the only major IP GF works on. Anything else is usually lower budget more experimental stuff that doesn't garner as much attention.

Pokemon fans on ERA are weird, man. Game Freak invented Pokemon yet so many want to snatch it away from them because they're not making a BotW equivalent Pokemon game.
Stop this Nonsense. People don't expect BOTW, its impossible considering this franchise releases a new game every year. Its the Ambition.. Its just not acceptable anymore.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
cant have an unrelated thread without people whining about pokemon lol

i wish the character designs and music were more my style, its what i was most looking forward to from this

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Stop this Nonsense. People don't expect BOTW, its impossible considering this franchise releases a new game every year. Its the Ambition.. Its just not acceptable anymore.
Speak for yourself. What entitled bs. Evidently it's acceptable when the games constantly release to critical and commercial success.

banshee150

Banned
Apr 3, 2019
User Banned (2 weeks): Trolling; history of similar behaviour.
GF have no ambition whatsoever. I guess in 10 years they will graduate from 3DS scale games?

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Another thread poisoned by the GF hate force. Imagine coming into a thread about a small eShop game to complain about ambition.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, a 30 miniute boss fight? Yeah, i might wait until/if this game gets some QoL patches. After FFXV's Adamantoise, i promised myself to not do such stuff anymore.

Mario_Bones

Oct 31, 2017
Australia
Huh, I didn't realise this was out so soon. The gameplay looked interesting when it was shown in the direct so I'll be keeping an eye on the impressions

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Atleast the framerate's decent.
The Direct footage made it look very stuttery, turned me off completely.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Combat seems like the devs looked at Monster Hunter Stories and said to themselves " how can we make those battles even longer?"

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
This doesn't look good. I can't really put my finger on exactly what, but the characters, music, and art direction are very unappealing. Plus that boss took forever.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Basically they wanted to make a short game so that people don't have to worry about finding a lot of time to finish it, and they wanted the battle system to be very strategic instead of spamming strong attacks to finish battles quickly, while having a focused story that doesn't require large maps you get lost in.
But if a game isn't a huge open world with fast paced action combat it's not ambitious!!

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That combat system looks really cool and inventive, but the slowness of it is a huge issue.

EDIT: Actually, after watching this more thoroughly, I can see that the player was painfully bad at the game and had tons of long pauses before making terrible choices. It would still be slow with an efficient player, but not as bad as I thought.

Last edited:

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
People want it, not expect it. Lotta people don't expect much of GF
Pretty much.

IDK how much of what I feel is allowed to be stated as mofos being banned in here but yeah ... I am someone who up until now could explain away their choices with "The HW just isn't there yet and they are NEVER gonna take the series off handhelds". The games have a ton of big ideas that it ask you to fill in for it and yeah ... you're not gonna get the world these games advertise on a GBC/GBA/DS/3DS. But when the Switch comes out and you see Nintendo whip out those big-dick game changing choices for their 2 staples to make a stand of course you'd want the same to happen for Pokemon.

But this is GF, the people who allowed ALL the 3DS main line Pokemon game's battles to run like doo doo water because they wanted to future proof the models by making them too high poly for the system ... so having 2-4 Pokemon battle on screen at once gives the game a heart attack.

I'll take what advances I can get as I'm a life long fan but I can't say that I'm happy with GF. At the very least I wish TPC still allowed spin offs. Yeah, we got Lets go (retelling of gen 1 for the .. idk, 4-5th time?) and Pokken ... where's the Switch "Pokemon MD/ Pokemon Rangers/ Pikachu Pokepark"? There use to be spin offs that looked at the world of Pokemon in different ways that were NOT made by GF and I'd really like that to come back.

But nope, Pokemon Go was a KABfikhsbf hit so we gotta get Pokemon Masters and shit. :/

As for this game I'll check out the vid later but I can't be mad at people side eyeing this when they feel like Pokemon proper could be better off with more time-money-man power pumped into it.