• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Bumdi lives? Gosh, I thought they'd retired from translation completely.

I guess this suggests that should Season 5 ever happen, they'll come out of retirement!

Agraaavan

Oct 29, 2017
[edit]I read the thread. Doh!

Here I came to season 3 after all this time after getting burned out by S2.

Last edited:
OP
OP
azeke

azeke

Oct 30, 2017
Astana, Kazakhstan
While picking a picture for thread cover image (check it out) i stumbled upon some other random photos of TG cast made after the series finale:

iMolYII.jpg

de0dc75172c3b72808d64b9c255852aa.jpg

ab46b39f5db0f5cf569832dca7d41e8f.jpg

(apparently Junseok took most of the show's props)

More at onehallyu forums.

Last edited:

2pac_71

Oct 25, 2017
Any decent Korean variety shows I watch? I've watched the great escape. Anything that is fun and new?

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Any decent Korean variety shows I watch? I've watched the great escape. Anything that is fun and new?

Depends on your taste. There isn't specifically a Genius style show, but there are a handful of entertaining ones. I'll skip Crime Scene since it's already finished.

If you like Cooking: TAKE CARE OF MY FRIDGE
The name seems to vary based on the subtitler, but basically, two funny hosts, 8 professional chefs, and 2 celebrity guests per week. They literally haul in your fridge, and then per requests from each guest, cook amazing meals in a series of 15min, 1v1 matches. So it's like a very neighborly version of Iron Chef.

If you like Lying: VILLAGE OF EIGHT
8 celebrities (a mix of comedians, actors, and singers) meet in an obscure Korean fishing village. They must stay 2 days and 1 night because...there is a cheque for $10,000 hidden somewhere. But: one of the 8 actually planted the cheque and can only take the money by secretly working against everyone else. On the final hour, the cast must vote who they think took the money - if they are right, the money is removed. It's a mix of just straight-face lying to hide what's going on, clue investigation (one of the cast from Crime Scene is here), and 100% the best comedy charades battle you'll see on TV.

If you like House Hunters: WHERE IS MY HOME
Two teams of celebrities pick 3 houses each that perfectly fit the needs of a real life person. They show off he units, with two celebs acting as realtors showing off the place and the rest of both teams being in-studio to commentate. Of course, plenty of comedians, and Yong Chul from Genius is here as well (as well as Sang Min, in one case) so it's a really funny version of HH. Sadly only two episodes thus far!

If you like Comedy: MAFIA GAME IN PRISON
Take 8 celebrities on a fake prison set, and secretly tell 3 of them they are Mafia. The other 5 prisoners have a codeword only they know. Then split them into two teams of four, trigger a bunch of ridiculous games (that usually double for karaoke) followed by some truly bizarre charades and see if they can use Survivor-style eliminations to get rid of the Mafia before the end of the sequence. It's very loose and the money is minor, but seeing how they start tearing each other down in the pre-vote is hilarious. This is the least serious of all of these shows.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
Serendipitous thread bump for me today. Was just thinking about The Genius yesterday for this first time in forever because I suddenly remembered how much I love Kyungran 😍😭 Gotta get back to the show and watch the later seasons.

Deadman

Oct 29, 2017
Just finished the second series and I enjoyed it just as much as the first.

Thanks for making this thread azeke, I wouldn't have heard about the show otherwise.

On to series 3.

Therion

Oct 25, 2017
I guess since it's been almost a year, we're probably never getting a translation of Hyunmin's second stream. I still check for it every once in a while.

I envy you folks just starting season 3. Some of my favorite players show up in that season, and there are a lot of moments that I'd love to see unfold for the first time again.

WesWes

Apr 25, 2018
Recently took a couple of long flights and found that watching back to back Genius episodes was simply the best time-passer imaginable.

Such an incredible show.

2pac_71

Oct 25, 2017
I miss this show and I occasionally rewatch it from time to time and it's always so good. I wish there was more seasons. I don't understand why Netflix doesn't try and create a show similar to this. Hopefully they do.

Zeroro

Oct 27, 2017
I miss this show and I occasionally rewatch it from time to time and it's always so good. I wish there was more seasons. I don't understand why Netflix doesn't try and create a show similar to this. Hopefully they do.
I do think you could make a super compelling adaptation of The Genius for the US if you got the right people, both in terms of cast and producers... but the odds of that are so low, even if it was a thing that ever happened, lol.

Deleted member 9746

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I rewatched S1 this weekend and decided to finish S2 so I'm watching it from the beginning.

Hongchul is so annoying...

KomandaHeck

Oct 26, 2017
My brother switched me on to this recently and I'm 4 episodes into Season 1. It's brilliant! The zombie game was so entertaining.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
A two year bump... but I think, for once, a bump of that nature is justified.

It's finally happened. Another country decided to make their own The Genius.

pI2WerJ.jpg

Netherlands, specifically - a country that's similarly notable in that it's been continuing to produce The Mole for ages, so is possibly the right sort of country to tackle this.

seizoenspresentatie.npo.nl

Programmaoverzicht - Overnpo - NPO Seizoenspresentatie

De NPO biedt een bijzonder en kleurrijk tv-seizoen. Met tientallen nieuwe titels en vertrouwde successen.

From October 3rd, and I'm hearing mutterings that - all being well - there should be subs happening. The cast list:

Anna-Maja Kazarian (chess master)
Fabian Franciscus Bruin (comedian)
Feride Tosun (criminal lawyer)
Jasper Lijfering (watch dealer)
Nelke Mast (artist)
Nizar El Manouzi (actor and presenter)
Nouchka Fontijn (Olympic boxer)
Rick Broers (YouTuber/live streamer)
Roxanne Kwant (presenter/online personality)
Thomas Olde Heuvelt (thriller writer)

That does feel like it's the right *sort* of casting for The Genius; a really nice mix of backgrounds, but all of which require some sort of smarts.

Terrified, of course, given how fond of the original I am, but really hopeful.

WesWes

Apr 25, 2018
I heard about this! I'm hopeful that it's a success and we get more editions around the world.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
It'll be interesting to see if this works, I feel a big part of why/how The Genius works so well is just how drama-light the contestants are.

I mean drama happens of course but the vibe is very different, the way western reality TV works is just a different, abrasive beast(although I've never seen any from the Netherlands so maybe this isn't an issue).

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
From what I've seen of Dutch Mole I think I'd say that *if* GeniusNL captures the same vibe as that, then it's not something I'm concerned about.

ceej

Mar 9, 2021
Reno, Nv.
Holy shit, I didn't know there was a thread for this. I've seen only the first season and have the second one downloaded. Really loved it and I need to finish the rest.