• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Can't see AutoChess sustaining growth much longer.
The problem space is too shallow and RNG is too impactful.
The difficulty curve is also extremely unwieldy, where you can develop basic competence within a few games, but if you want to be a galaxy brain player you're just hitting Tab and playing investment banking simulator all game. Hopefully the dev can figure out how to address systems-level problems, and not just churn out content.

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
Oh, was half-asleep during my 50 Gold post, so I didn't properly explain my distinction. For pubs, once you've hit 50 gold, you can just spend all excess gold solely on either leveling up or buying the pieces presented, no re-rolling needed usually. You're basically given enough time to just get to 10 in order to have the best re-rolls possible for $4 and $5 units, since the players typically aren't too aggro, or are playing sub-optimally to some extent. For bishop lobbies, depending on how far behind you are, you may need to spend some of the excess gold on re-rolling in order to beef up your lineup to not get too blown out, but you still shouldn't dip below 50 unless you're on your last legs. I've seen many games where the 1st place player with a constant win streak throw away his chances of winning by spending everything ASAP, eventually losing a single game and effectively losing all their income as well.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
So i followed advice and went with economy but still spent excess gold after staying on above 50 and keeping at first place in level on rerolling. Went with knights and undead. Got fantastic lineup with 6 knights and enigma, tide and techies at level 2. Still lost to a full warrior setup with no legendaries. He just pumped all his dudes in the corner with a 2* Medusa in the back. Warrior still seems to strong.

Oct 25, 2017
Can't see AutoChess sustaining growth much longer.
The problem space is too shallow and RNG is too impactful.
The difficulty curve is also extremely unwieldy, where you can develop basic competence within a few games, but if you want to be a galaxy brain player you're just hitting Tab and playing investment banking simulator all game. Hopefully the dev can figure out how to address systems-level problems, and not just churn out content.

??

if youre sitting around banking gold all game youre gonna get smorced and lose instantly

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
I wish solo lobby wasn't so insane bullshit(if you don't pull that super mech combo early you're going to bleed a lot before it gets better) with the waves it pulls from the cloud would be nice to have a space where you can just screw around with compositions.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
??

if youre sitting around banking gold all game youre gonna get smorced and lose instantly

Yeah that's what did the big change for me. It's key to play the economy correctly. You really need to adapt every decision to your current situation while balancing that against what your opponent are doing etc. it's so insanely deep once you begin to understand.
It's a very impressive design

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
??

By investment banking simulator I mean optimizing your income and "investing" in pieces, not literally saving. I don't think it's particularly deep or interesting. It's a solvable math problem due to perfect information, and it all just comes down to luck at the end.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
losing hp doesnt make a difference until you're dead anyway, if you need to take damage to improve your station then you do it. just like any game

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
losing hp doesnt make a difference until you're dead anyway, if you need to take damage to improve your station then you do it. just like any game

That's been one of the hardest things for me to realize. I start to panic and tank my economy with rerolls once I start losing, but I need to play calm and realize it doesn't matter as long as I don't let myself die (or get low enough that I have no breathing room).

I'm not great at this game but goddamn am I addicted. Also I really want a phone version of this. I'd play the hell out of a well-made mobile Auto Chess.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
hPZTVsb.png

drodo plz
800 candies wtf

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
well if you average 2 candies a game and a game takes about 35 minutes you only need to play for about ten days of game time!

oh and 10 candies max a day right?

so then it will only take you about 3 months playing 3 hours a day

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I got "crappy man on horse" but at least I'm not rocking poverty donkey anymore.

On the plus side I've won my last three games, going with "whatever good early 2* you can get and then transition into trolls" seems to work, Troll Warlord 2* with an item or two can win games by himself.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
I got to roll my first courier, it was a boar. Super lucky rolling the most common drop yay.

I got "crappy man on horse" but at least I'm not rocking poverty donkey anymore.

On the plus side I've won my last three games, going with "whatever good early 2* you can get and then transition into trolls" seems to work, Troll Warlord 2* with an item or two can win games by himself.

Troll/knight is my favorite opening. There's just a lot of different builds that it can pivot to. You can go knights/trolls, knights/warlocks, trolls/warlocks, knights/squishy dps. Warlord is great in every one of them too.

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
Got the Jumo Courier (fairy girl with the tea tray), so I'm using nothing but that from now on ^^

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees I finally won one! Thanks for all the tips guys.

CD310179410E019B75C636F3C3D34276EE6453A0

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Congrats. Trolls OP.

I remember getting a Demon Edge on Troll once and pretty much that being gg.

Yeah having the full synergy and a 3 star batwing and 2 star Troll Warlord was completely insane. there where matches where the warlord would singlehandedly beat 2 - 3 dudes.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Full undead or full troll buff with as sassins is my favorite.

Really menacing when you instagib th e entire enemy team and it double 10-0 0-10 registers before others are even started

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Full undead or full troll buff with as sassins is my favorite.

Really menacing when you instagib th e entire enemy team and it double 10-0 0-10 registers before others are even started

Until you face some guy with full knight bonus. Then it's random chance vs random chance battles.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TidesofTime regularly reaches Rook, I think Savjz as well if they count. Amaz hit Rook 2 recently.
amaz back 2 bishop

t1549386000z1.png

strim: twitch.tv/twitchrivals
The Twitch Rivals: Dota 2 Auto Chess Showdown is an online competition for $12,500 featuring 32 invited streamers. The competition will be split between Europe and North America with each region vying for a total of $6,250. Each region's competition will consist of 2 simultaneous 8-player free-for-all game lobbies. Players will receive prizing based on placement in each game lobby.

Haz

You have seen.
Oct 25, 2017
Got my first 0 loss game. Hit Bishop-1 the other day and went back to having fun trying stuff out.

Excited for tournament!
The game is less RNG than you think because how much impactful positioning is, the limited number of pieces on the board affecting rates of all units [e.g. if there's 20-25 Shadow Fiends available and you're AHEAD in levels you might want to reroll for them. If you're BEHIND, then maybe you see 14 Shadow Fiend on the board and could start looking at Doom level 2or QoP level 3. (If this is correct) Also changing your strategy based off early people getting knocked out and their pieces being put back into the pool vs maintain your win (or loss) streak and risk reward, etc. Pushing to kill (to force them to spend) vs gaining income, etc.
Say in a lobby you have two people at 12% hp and their last ditch effort to spend isn't panning out, you could prioritize units that they have (Say two level 2 BeastMaster)

That said who knows how long I'll keep going, but I still want to keep playing it and their update schedule seems very quick so far.

iQPfa3W.png

:D
uJxdPuz.jpg

Last edited:

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
I still haven't played this myself, but I've seen just about every streamer type under the sun play it, if not play it a LOT at some point since it has been out now.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
https://old.reddit.com/r/AutoChess/comments/anbqsb/feb_5th_patch_notes/
Update: Feb 5 @ 1:54am
-Couriers' size rebalanced to be nearly the same.
-(3)(6)Mage adjusted from 50/30 back to 40/40
-Damage of Razor's plasma field adjusted from 100/200/300 to 100/175/250
-Damage of BM's axe adjusted from 70/110/150 to 60/100/140
-Tiny's initial HP increased by 50
-PA's armor increased from 0 to 5
-AM's armor increased from 0 to 5
-Troll Warload's armor decreased from 10 to 5
-Drow Ranger's attack damage increased by 5
-Attack speed of Venomancer's ward increased by 0.1
-Lina's casting point decreased from 0.5 to 0.2
—————————————————————
TB has got the prize of least wins in all chesses recently.
-Its initial magic resistance adjusted to 10/20/30

>Official Link: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/changelog/1613886175

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
seem like decent changes all around, getting a level 2 razor is usually a big midgame stomp for me, and beastmaster is usable in like any lineup till the late game

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Ya and some of those units needed the buff. AM has been pitiful the whole time I've played, same with Drow. PA also isn't as good as she should be as a tier 3 char.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone else been having issues with games just randomly dying? I've had about 4 games in the last 2 days where everyone gets disconnected and the game's server dies. I was about to finally win a match, I had like 90% health when everyone else was tanking and I was handily winning fights and about to get a even stronger team, when the server died. I lost the one win I was ever close to getting 😥

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
updated species/class chart
l0Sn5ZE.jpg

Has anyone else been having issues with games just randomly dying? I've had about 4 games in the last 2 days where everyone gets disconnected and the game's server dies. I was about to finally win a match, I had like 90% health when everyone else was tanking and I was handily winning fights and about to get a even stronger team, when the server died. I lost the one win I was ever close to getting 😥
yeah, every 10th game has some bug, not sure what to do - you can't really contact the devs