• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
every time i play this it just reminds me more and more of gem td and the rng just drives me insane even if it gives you more ways to mitigate it than gem

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
I actually found a bug awhile ago that I don't know if they fixed. If you place an extra unit on your board it gets pulled back in before the round starts. BUT that unit still goes on to fight the other teams. So I had like a 4 person team on my board but it was 5 person on one of my opponent's board. Kinda risky since you don't know which unit it'll pull out, and could kill synergy.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of the best aspects of the game imo. Makes it so you have to prioritize your decisions and improve your speed if you wanna get more done.
It's frustrating but it seems fair
every time i play this it just reminds me more and more of gem td and the rng just drives me insane even if it gives you more ways to mitigate it than gem
same dev that made gemtd
I actually found a bug awhile ago that I don't know if they fixed. If you place an extra unit on your board it gets pulled back in before the round starts. BUT that unit still goes on to fight the other teams. So I had like a 4 person team on my board but it was 5 person on one of my opponent's board. Kinda risky since you don't know which unit it'll pull out, and could kill synergy.
"feature"

Lcs

Aug 9, 2018
This game sounds a lot like legion TD.

The format could easily be turned into a mobile game.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
if i've learned anything it's that assassins are a trap

but also fuck slark

I think they're the best single combo in the game, especially if you have a TA and Slark. Once you hit the 6 bonus with them they just devour all. Slark is great cause not only is he a beast of a unit, but you just need to add Naga Warrior to your team and now your assassins have a magical resistance bonus which they need.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
I think they're the best single combo in the game, especially if you have a TA and Slark. Once you hit the 6 bonus with them they just devour all. Slark is great cause not only is he a beast of a unit, but you just need to add Naga Warrior to your team and now your assassins have a magical resistance bonus which they need.
i think they have very strong theoretical performance but all the knights and warriors and mechs just soak so much that you really do need the most broken assassins with survivability to make them worthwhile. i have tried them a few times and it just feels so feast or famine, and by wave 20 i am just not able to penetrate big tanky teams anymore and get my ass kicked

my decision making needs a lot of work though so im sure its partially me, i just find so much more success with dependable buff dude and cc strats, with trolls or warlocks

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
i think they have very strong theoretical performance but all the knights and warriors and mechs just soak so much that you really do need the most broken assassins with survivability to make them worthwhile. i have tried them a few times and it just feels so feast or famine, and by wave 20 i am just not able to penetrate big tanky teams anymore and get my ass kicked

You gotta have the 6 bonus by then, and if you don't have either Slark and especially TA it's going to be risky. Then either have them backed up with warlocks or some beefy knights.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
yeah, part of my problem is trying to force the dream too hard so i end up with maybe a level 1 ta and slark but also just a buncha dross. like i had 6 bonus with a level 1 ta and slark and what, a l2 bh and a...l1 crix and pa and some garbage? then three random warlocks...im sure my placement is bad too, and my opponent reading

bonuses are hella good but then you also need to use smart decision making on the rest of the comp

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

my decision making needs a lot of work though so im sure its partially me, i just find so much more success with dependable buff dude and cc strats, with trolls or warlocks
You gotta look at what the other 7 are doing.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
I've had great success recently by not forcing any particular strategy and instead looking for the best $3 and $4 cost units that I can get upgraded to 2* quickly. I always take TAs and LDs for example no matter what strategy I'm in. They are just too strong. I usually just ride out the early game with whatever 3 cheap warriors, goblin/mech, or druids and then transition into the best units that are given to me without re-rolling so that I can build my econ. Once you get to donkey level ~6-8 and the final 4-6 players hopefully your economy will allow you to finish units and synergies while your opponents are broke.

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
Here's an example of some good strategy and forward planning you can do in this game with looking at opponents: so I'm off to an early lead, and I notice the one other person that's similarly doing well is going all-in on assassins. As a result, in the mid-game, I made sure to pick up every TA I saw, AND grab Queen of Pains since he was trying to build towards a level 3 with 2 level 2's already. I also swapped from mechs to orcs for my frontline since I saw many others grabbing the mechs, so my chances of 2-star-ing/3-star-ing them were slim. As a result, when we got to the end game, he had no TAs at all, AND was still stuck on 2 level 2 QoPs and 2 level 1 QoPs, while I was able to make a level 2 myself. It's stuff like this that can really give you the edge in games if you're able to pull it off well.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
It's fun and it's got most of my friends to reinstall Dota 2.

That said, it's just a hero brawler adapted to a single session format. There are assloads of these on mobile, including the very similar DotArena and Heroes Charge. I don't think this will go anywhere commercially that hasn't already been done to death over the past 5 years.

Auto Chess has a placement system and items (which have their own build combinations). And most importanly this is a drafting game.
This is very much it's own game, despite similarities to other games.

Deleted member 5864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can confirm Techies bomb, or at least it looked faster than last time. Flanked with Tiny and Jugg so I'd get more time.

7EDF85FF43701649AD45F6342504E19F9FEFADBB

I thought I might lose that for a while until I got enough XP to put him in. Lvl 3 Tiny surprisingly clutch.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can confirm Techies bomb, or at least it looked faster than last time. Flanked with Tiny and Jugg so I'd get more time.

7EDF85FF43701649AD45F6342504E19F9FEFADBB

I thought I might lose that for a while until I got enough XP to put him in. Lvl 3 Tiny surprisingly clutch.
IDK I had a front line Techies and he couldn't get it off, mb he was stunned or some shit

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Auto Chess has a placement system and items (which have their own build combinations). And most importanly this is a drafting game.
This is very much it's own game, despite similarities to other games.
As I said, it's just a brawler adapted to a single session format.
This is not something that would be commercially viable.

Auto Chess is? Which mobile game? Would love to play something similar on the go.
Try Heroes Charge, Food Fantasy, etc. It's actually a very popular genre in China. They have gacha metas though.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

But you are wrong. This is much more. The draft alone makes it a different beast. What you are describing are gatcha games. This one has a huge esport potential. None of those mobile games have that.

creamcake

Oct 25, 2017

Try Heroes Charge, Food Fantasy, etc. It's actually a very popular genre in China. They have gacha metas though.

I looked those up but they just seem sorta like general gacha games. I think the main attraction of Auto Chess is the drafting/"deck-building" part inbetween rounds.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Whatever this game is it's crack. I don't think I've ever had a "one more game" feeling for a game that is as long as this.

Nome

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
But you are wrong. This is much more. The draft alone makes it a different beast. What you are describing are gatcha games. This one has a huge esport potential. None of those mobile games have that.
Guarantee you this has zero chance in the market, nor does it have any eSports potential.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Never into Dota, but I'd like to get into this. It seems half of my friends are playing this game.
When is the inevitable Chinese knock-off of this custom game coming out. 🤔
Considering Auto Chess is made in China and takes inspiration from mobile games popular in China... you already got it?

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Never into Dota, but I'd like to get into this. It seems half of my friends are playing this game.

Considering Auto Chess is made in China and takes inspiration from mobile games popular in China... you already got it?
It's actually surprising that some company hasn't copied it and used like Marvel or Naruto heroes or something

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
Dyrus (ex-LoL pro streamer) has literally been streaming Auto Chess for over 20 hours straight (with a brief TSM LoL obligation that he completely forget about until mid-stream, so he just kept streaming Auto Chess until then). It's crazy to me how many streamers are legitimately addicted to this game, though I understand the feeling xD

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dyrus (ex-LoL pro streamer) has literally been streaming Auto Chess for over 20 hours straight (with a brief LoL obligation that he completely forget about until mid-stream, so he just kept streaming Auto Chess until then). It's crazy to me how many streamers are legitimately addicted to this game, though I understand the feeling xD
Oh shit, muh obligations

I had some wings in the oven.
Thank goodness an extra 10 min made them supercrispy

GuyFive

Oct 26, 2017
Played 4 hours yesterday on my first installation of DOTA 2 ever. Stupid addicting. Only complaint is the character movement and management but I seem to be getting the hang of it.

Nome

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
It's actually surprising that some company hasn't copied it and used like Marvel or Naruto heroes or something
IMO the genre is too niche for a paid title, and I don't think there's a compelling F2P monetization model to be applied to the game. Also, as the hero brawler genre has been around on mobile for a while and is waning, publishers and investors already know the ceiling for a product like this.
I think best case scenario, an indie studio self-publishes, but it's still going to be a year+ endeavor with minimal returns, if any. So basically, if there's no compelling business case for the game, it's not going to be a viable product.

My 2c.

Also--
Is lvl1 Techies the single biggest pickup you can get?
I've only seen this thing shred.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
i love accidentally deleting units

maybe i will play enough to get a new courier this weekend, i have like 12 candy or something

Oct 27, 2017
Arizona

Slark is a trap. Unless you get lucky and get a lvl 3 slark, you are just causing the rest of your team to take more damage while he is invisible, which is half the time.

ALso, with proper positioning, you can negate assassins. They all die to aoe.

They are great midgame, but once there are 9 units, they lose their punch.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
slark is an easy naga synergy which seems good though, i just basically put him on the front lineish area to soak initial salvo then he would just shadow dance it all away and go hit the back line

mostly i just hate slark because if your team isnt putting out enough dps he cant die and sometimes 1v3s. i feel like shadow dance was broken and giving him regen out of stealth but maybe he just had a goblin buff on or something

Deleted member 5864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I need to learn how to manage my endgame economy better. Last game top 2 hit lvl 10 way faster than me.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
i knew the aoe was strong but i honestly underrated kunkka just because i kind of hate him, i will begrudgingly incorporate his dumb ass i guess

and try to use a token assassin to eat boats

need to work towards combatting aoe spam.even if i got first last night with a decent mage team. which in retrospect i shoulda played that second razor because he is nuts