• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
oh yeah about those candy things, i know you can trade them for couriers
my question is, are the couriers you get from auto chess actually usable in dota games?

canseesea

Oct 25, 2017
I just reinstalled Dota for the first time in a year or so to give this a try. Matches are a lot longer than I expected, but I finished third place and the end was compelling enough that I watched how it played out. First place was up 50% and had only lost two rounds until head to head, he got stomped against the last remaining player.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just reinstalled Dota for the first time in a year or so to give this a try. Matches are a lot longer than I expected, but I finished third place and the end was compelling enough that I watched how it played out. First place was up 50% and had only lost two rounds until head to head, he got stomped against the last remaining player.
% score means nothing until it's 0

Could be banking gold.

I do it all the time.

You finish up that last 3 star hero, get level 10 and rekt house

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Only till 2AM today
5 candies

https://www.reddit.com/r/AutoChess/comments/al7ll5/where_can_i_find_the_experience_bar_to_level_up/

Ah pro tip. Hold ALT to see how much exp you need for the next level

I literally played this game for 20+ hours straight yesterday, and I learned my skills deteriorate by hour 15. Went from a Bishop 3 to Knight 6. I'm also staying in Japan at the moment, and my god is the Asian pub meta so much more aggro compared to Western meta I've seen on videos and streams. I've been conditioned to level up round 4 (right after creep rounds) if I don't get a 2 star to not get completely blown out...
wait what 20 hours?
I mean the game is gud, but eating and pooping are good too

jrpl

Nov 20, 2017
New peak?

200k people are playing it right now, that's kinda insane
9KixWWe.png

ps. that thumbs down was because the popup was annoying me :P

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
3 Star really feel like raid bosses

The idea to make them comparatively bigger and with $1000 cosmetics was genius

canseesea

Oct 25, 2017
3 Star really feel like raid bosses

The idea to make them comparatively bigger and with $1000 cosmetics was genius

Is it ever worth it to keep two level 2 units instead? Do you get the race/class benefits for duplicate units, for example (and whether that even comes close to making up for the different in power level). I felt like I was doing better with two level 2 axes in front than when I merged them with a third, but I only had two rounds after I leveled him up so it could have been a coincidence.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it ever worth it to keep two level 2 units instead? Do you get the race/class benefits for duplicate units, for example (and whether that even comes close to making up for the different in power level). I felt like I was doing better with two level 2 axes in front than when I merged them with a third, but I only had two rounds after I leveled him up so it could have been a coincidence.
I think for long AOE stuns like Tidehunter and Kunkka it's better to have 2 level one's instead of a level 3, but then they die faster so it's all about how much dps they can give you and if they can stay alive long enough to get 100 mana or if you have enough tanks to protect your squishies

I usually try for a combo of Warrior/Warlock or Druid but it usually ends up being a mess.
If I can't stay alive I'll make changes, if I'm not dying just leave it and stack golds

Oct 27, 2017
Gotta admit, I read the OP and still didn't get what this game is about. So you pick stuff before a round in an overly convoluted manner (or maybe the description in the OP just make it sound like it is), everything goes off automatically and you just hope that RNG let's your guys win?

Maybe those type of games, just like Dota itself, is just not for me.

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta admit, I read the OP and still didn't get what this game is about. So you pick stuff before a round in an overly convoluted manner (or maybe the description in the OP just make it sound like it is), everything goes off automatically and you just hope that RNG let's your guys win?
The way you've described, I take it RTS games aren't for you as well?

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, it's quite addicting if you like it.
Absolute garbage trash if you don't.

A lot of the Hearthstone Twitch streamers have switched to it, so it seems to have a really good appeal to card game players - it's kinda like Hearthstone but with pieces instead of cards and Battle Royale elements

Deleted member 5864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's like a deck building game with a Dota coat of paint.

It consists of assymetrical battles against 7(?) other players, who are all using the same wide pool of units. As you win (or lose) battles you get gold to improve your "deck" or lineup, and get item drops to make them stronger. Due to the high amount of units and synergies available, it's a strategic battle against your opponents. Last man standing wins.There is an RNG element to it, but it's not in the form of the battle themselves. You can influence those results with good team building, positioning and synergies, the RNG aspect comes from the selection available, which influences your decisions. BUT, it's important to note that you can also influence it becaus you can see what others are picking (remember, the pool of units is shared somewhat, and you can do things like lock a random selection for future use). There is a lot of nuance to it, so saying that you are at the mercy of the RNG in the battlefield is inaccurate.

It's a strategy game, with some aspects of deck building. If this doesn't sound for you then yeah, the Dota aspect is not going to do it alone.

Oct 27, 2017
The way you've described, I take it RTS games aren't for you as well?

With RTS games you have full control over everything, this seems like it's the exact opposite?

Yeah, it's quite addicting if you like it.
Absolute garbage trash if you don't.

A lot of the Hearthstone Twitch streamers have switched to it, so it seems to have a really good appeal to card game players - it's kinda like Hearthstone but with pieces instead of cards and Battle Royale elements

So it's like a digital version of illegal dogfights with the randomness of card games mixed in? Sounds even less appealing to be honest. :-D

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
This game is excellent and I've been able to get many friends playing consistently. Everyone loves to play "just 1 more" to try a different strategy or hopefully finish that 3* in time. It's also exciting to be part of a game that is quickly developing. The creators put out like 4-5 patches in the last week including 3 new units. This will surely become a standalone title within the next 12-24 months. I think the main things that need work are more units and a refined item system. There should either be guaranteed X-tier item drops from certain creeps or a simple item shop that players could spend gold at. I wouldn't want to over-complicate the game but the items could be handled better. Also everyone I play with despises the fact that summoned units like wolves and treants contribute to donkey damage.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
Valve needs to buy these people up asap, or their stand alone game will end up on the Epic/Tencent game store. Don't be like Blizzard, Valve!

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
Finally clawed my way back to Bishop 1 from Knight 5 (deranked by ending up last in a really close game, with 7 people in less than 20% health range), only took roughly 12 hours and 3 consecutive first place finishes ^^ The first victory was literally handed to me where I won every single round except for 1 due to a mech goblin start with level 2 Timbersaw that no one could contest, and had a full 10-squad with full mech and goblin synergy early on from all the win streaking. The next one I won despite being dead last for most of the game, winning with an orc + mage strategy. Won the last one by using a mix of early mech + dragon, which let me snowball.

Something I love about the game is how dynamic it is. Like, everyone agrees Tiny is subpar. However, I legit won a game off the back of an early level 3 Tiny into 9 Warriors late game because everyone wasn't choosing Tiny, Axe, or Tusk in favor of going for druids and mechs, which couldn't get leveled up since everyone else was picking them. Tier lists are good to understand each unit's power in a vacuum, but every game can be very different depending on what the other 7 people are picking, and what strats they're going for.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Something I love about the game is how dynamic it is. Like, everyone agrees Tiny is subpar. However, I legit won a game off the back of an early level 3 Tiny into 9 Warriors late game because everyone wasn't choosing Tiny, Axe, or Tusk in favor of going for druids and mechs, which couldn't get leveled up since everyone else was picking them. Tier lists are good to understand each unit's power in a vacuum, but every game can be very different depending on what the other 7 people are picking, and what strats they're going for.

"No one is picking X so I will" has bit me in the ass so many times, especially Tiny.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's more about synergy and RNG with Tiny.

If he tosses an important hero across the board you win

Zoo strats completely negate him as he will toss a treant or wolf

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
If he tosses an important hero across the board you win

I find the opposite is true, toss gets me killed. The toss does nothing other than save that unit from dying. He constantly throws units about to die, all that does is save that unit then it comes back in while everyone smacks on the stuff still at full life.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I find the opposite is true, toss gets me killed. The toss does nothing other than save that unit from dying. He constantly throws units about to die, all that does is save that unit then it comes back in while everyone smacks on the stuff still at full life.
I wonder if they will make it like real dota and he tosses allies

It's kind of a replacement for blink dagger if you can toss like a Tidehunter into the backlines for a ravage

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they will make it like real dota and he tosses allies

It's kind of a replacement for blink dagger if you can toss like a Tidehunter into the backlines for a ravage

I don't know, but the move is horrible. Toss is just too much of a double edged sword to have an AI randomly do it, hell I used to not trust other players with it in Dota 1.

Deleted member 5864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Went my first undefeated with this lineup

939787087ED87B1167BF5FE5C97FF291256CE0C6

Farmed to 50G with triple goblin and pretty much breezed from there. So addictive.

Tim

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, do two of the same kind of demon not cancel each other out?

Guess that makes sense in hindsight.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
I really gotta stop trying to force builds. Lost my last game trying to force an all demon team. I'll get one eventually.

Last edited:

Sabot

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 31, 2017
The sooner this can be downloaded standalone, the better.

Dota is too dang big of a download to reinstall just for a mod.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I saw some dude with the Juggernaut immortal healing ward courier except it was on fire and shooting lasers.

jfc

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
The biggest flaw of this game is the whole press q then move. With 30 sec prep time that is bad.
Edit: and that being my only complaint says something about how great the overall design of this game is

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
The biggest flaw of this game is the whole press q then move. With 30 sec prep time that is bad.
Edit: and that being my only complaint says something about how great the overall design of this game is

One of the best aspects of the game imo. Makes it so you have to prioritize your decisions and improve your speed if you wanna get more done.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
It's fun and it's got most of my friends to reinstall Dota 2.

That said, it's just a hero brawler adapted to a single session format. There are assloads of these on mobile, including the very similar DotArena and Heroes Charge. I don't think this will go anywhere commercially that hasn't already been done to death over the past 5 years.

Deleted member 5864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hotkeys are definitely a limiting factor for me going forward as I don't have the finger skills to do all the shit I want late game (how many times have I sold a unit instead of putting it on the board I wonder? Left index finger just makes more sense to place for me!). But I'm still at the stage where I'm wondering what do the items even do, let alone combine so whateves... I stopped playing Dota in like 2014 so I've forgot everything about it.