• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Arizona
Ya the tinker/clockwerk/timbersaw seems to be the best early game strat, especially if you can get timbersaw to lvl 2. One trouble is a lot of people try to go for it, so you gotta be battling for pieces. The other issue is Tinker seems kinda crap, and there's not any high level mechs until lvl 5 so you can get clobbered midgame.

That is why you can go bounty hunter instead and get your assassins going. It is pretty insane that there are 4 goblins and 3 mechs that are under 2 stars or less.

Lordciego

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Also is there some kind of problem with the new version? Last night I spend 15 minutes straight accepting matches and starting no single one of them until I grew tired of trying.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.reddit.com/r/AutoChess/comments/ajrg2j/auto_chess_update_january_25_2019/
-Opponent searching remade.
-New Chess: Morphling(Element/Assassin)
-New Chess: TerrorBlade(Demon/DemonHunter)
-New Chess: Tiny(Element/Warrior)(!Important--The tree will disappear after picked.)
-Element combo remade: 30% chance to turn attacker into stone for 3s when attacked by melee chesses.
-(2) DemonHunter Combo added: All ally demons keep their power.
-Demon Combo remade: Deal 50% extra pure damage to its target.
-Mage Combo adjusted from 30/50 to 40/40
-Warrior Combo adjusted to (3)(6)(9) Warriors, armor +6/+8/+10
-Elf Combo adjusted to (3)(6) Elfs, chance +25%/+25%
-Treant Protector's cd increased from 5s to 7s, damage/absortion decreased to 30/45/60
-Lina's cd decresed by 2s.
-The clock ticks in the last 5s to remind.
Disruptor has got the prize of least wins in all chesses recently.
-Its cd decreased from 20s to 15s/12s/9s and radius increased by 50, damage increased by 100/200/300

Also is there some kind of problem with the new version? Last night I spend 15 minutes straight accepting matches and starting no single one of them until I grew tired of trying.
Seems ok for me.
I'm on Windows 10/PC

Last edited:

Cirrus

Oct 25, 2017
Oh nice there is an Auto Chess thread here.

The new hero's added last night seem decent, at least now going Elemental is viable. Also it makes it easier to get the 6 Assassin bonus.

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018

I think that happens when you haven't updated to the newest version yet, had that happen to me a couple times before I stopped and let it update.

durrTK

Oct 27, 2017
This is gonna sound stupid, but how the hell to you click to move your pieces? As it stands, you have to click Q, select piece, then move.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Valve has considered hiring the devs and making this an official part of Dota 2. Might not be possible though since the dev's are Chinese though who knows, Valve is expanding into China.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is gonna sound stupid, but how the hell to you click to move your pieces? As it stands, you have to click Q, select piece, then move.
Sadly that's it
I wonder if Valve has considered hiring the devs and making this an official part of Dota 2. Might not be possible though since the dev's are Chinese though who knows, Valve is expanding into China.
I speculate it is DOTA3, but Drodo can name their price and their terms.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Patch up!
https://www.reddit.com/r/AutoChess/comments/ak1p4m/new_update/

-[!Important]Pure damage of demon's combo are now exactly 50%.
-TB's armor decreased from 10 to 5
-Tiny's attack damage increased by 10
-Mage's combo adjusted from 40%/40% to 50%/30% (3 Mages deals more damage while 6 Mages nearly the same)

Oh good. Tiny was absolutely the worst character in the game, and TB was a monster. They need to change Tiny's ult too, that toss ends up helping the enemy more than hurting. They've adjusted mages yet again, damn they're going to be monsters.

Yep that's how it's done. It's awkward but that's the point since time management is a big part of the game.

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
Welp, I just did a 2nd huge binge to get up to Bishop 1 from mid-Knight ranks. The "one more game" feeling is just too strong. So many hours flew by as I tried to understand more and more concepts and lineups. I've found that that mage buff was quite potent. A common starting strategies is building into Warrior, so you can completely destroy those comps with an early Mage lineup.

I tried doing the ridiculous 9 Warrior lineup for that maximum armor buff, and it worked surprisingly well to land me 2nd place in a game, that I might have been able to turn around if I were faster acting/knew what I was doing better. I would consider it a legitimate late-game option (when you have all 10 slots available) if you've been offered enough Warriors to get the majority of them to 2*. By that time, your plan is basically to have that 1 last slot be a flex for whatever your opponents are doing, and taking advantage of either racial traits or just Templar Assassin. I think the biggest one is making sure you have a 2* non-Warrior Naga of any kind to get the magic reduction bonus, so that you're not completely blown out by mage setups.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dedicated servers seem to be maxed out or something

nJaHHbS.jpg

Currently it shows 1.5M people have downloaded it with 70k concurrent
fKEAkZP.png

2.2 M downloads and 165k concurrent since last week

Patch up
https://www.reddit.com/r/AutoChess/comments/akb04i/january_27_2019_important_patch_coming_in/
-Courier flys after 10 wins
-ogre magi new cosmetic

Tournament
https://www.reddit.com/r/AutoChess/comments/akcrn8/cold_light_auto_chess_circuit_tournament/

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
Hearthstone, Dota 2, and Artifact are dead:

Long live Auto Chess?

The deaths of at least one of the aforementioned games may be exaggerated. Although I will say MtG Arena being a thing now vs. Magic Online, Blizzard's rounds of incompetence in the past year or so at least, and other competitors completely bombing (including Artifact) in the digital multiplayer card game genre has seemingly greatly diminished Hearthstone's staying power, and Auto Chess is apparently quite a factor. I haven't seen sustained building hype for a unique mod gameplay experience in years. Last thing was maybe the origins of the Battle Royale genre which was 6-7 years ago now. Otherwise the next closest was probably the origins of Dota itself as a WC3 mod. I'm a bit too young to remember the initial Counter Strike craze myself, but that would be the other most major comparison I think.

Cirrus

Oct 25, 2017
Thank goodness for creep rounds. Just had a game, where I was dominating most of the game, until the late game, when a a 5% health guy mounted comeback and made it into the top 3 thanks to his Assassin/Mage line up. Unfortunately he wasn't able to kill all his creeps and was knocked out by a single hp.

One of the mistakes I had been making recently was I was saving and leveling up to 10 way too fast. Since the drop chance for the lower tier pieces is reduced at higher level, I wasn't able to find enough low rank pieces to combine into 3 stars and was stuck with a bunch of 2 stars.

Also, finally managed to save up enough to roll a new Jellyfish Courier.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Auto Chess is addictingggggg. Love this game, I do wish the item system was worked out a bit more though. Going through rounds 1-3 and getting a cloak while the first guy you play in rank 4 has a rank 2 CK with 2 quarter staffs and a mask of madness is kinda ridiculous.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Auto Chess is addictingggggg. Love this game, I do wish the item system was worked out a bit more though. Going through rounds 1-3 and getting a cloak while the first guy you play in rank 4 has a rank 2 CK with 2 quarter staffs and a mask of madness is kinda ridiculous.
pray to RNGesus
Some games I make 4-5 items, other games nada

Oct 27, 2017
Arizona
Thank goodness for creep rounds. Just had a game, where I was dominating most of the game, until the late game, when a a 5% health guy mounted comeback and made it into the top 3 thanks to his Assassin/Mage line up. Unfortunately he wasn't able to kill all his creeps and was knocked out by a single hp.

One of the mistakes I had been making recently was I was saving and leveling up to 10 way too fast. Since the drop chance for the lower tier pieces is reduced at higher level, I wasn't able to find enough low rank pieces to combine into 3 stars and was stuck with a bunch of 2 stars.

Also, finally managed to save up enough to roll a new Jellyfish Courier.

I wouldn't worry about leveling up to 10. It is better to get 9 great units than to have 10. Obviously if you get a good 10th unit, upgrade to lvl 10.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone ever roll hunters? The seem to be the absolute worse group to build around. Assassins do everything they do but way better. I've never had a remotely good game whenever I've tried them.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone ever roll hunters? The seem to be the absolute worse group to build around. Assassins do everything they do but way better. I've never had a remotely good game whenever I've tried them.
Depends when you deploy them and who you mix with

I find that mages are super weak early game, but you pair them with warriors or meatshields and they own

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018

I think having orc synergy, mainly Beastmaster specifically, is key to getting that synergy off the ground since he's basically the only early game melee hunter. Combined with Axe or Juggernaut early (and all 4 orcs in the late game), he becomes decently tanky while also benefitting from the hunter buff, letting him potentially become a carry in the late game.

Oct 27, 2017
Arizona

Naga, Tide, and Beastmaster all have abilities that make them good even if they weren't hunters.

The 3 star hunters all have abilities that take forever. I never pick them up

Drow doesn't have an active ability, so she just constantly spams attacks. Plus, no one ever picks her, so she levels up easy.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
autochess might be broken temporarily because of the 7.21 patch

edit: apparently no issues

Last edited:

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
This game is addicting as all get out. Valve should be all over this and make it its own thing with menu's, ranking system etc.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
This game is addicting as all get out. Valve should be all over this and make it its own thing with menu's, ranking system etc.

Well we already have a ranking system for it. Menus? No thanks, should keep most of the operations confined to your carrier.

I hope people hold off on a full version for awhile. The game is still evolving and I think if you add too much it'll lose a lot of it's appeal. I can't see them being able to add many more units without it making it way too easy to get a build. I guess they could scale up the amount of players though, 50 person auto chess?

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Well we already have a ranking system for it. Menus? No thanks, should keep most of the operations confined to your carrier.

I hope people hold off on a full version for awhile. The game is still evolving and I think if you add too much it'll lose a lot of it's appeal. I can't see them being able to add many more units without it making it way too easy to get a build. I guess they could scale up the amount of players though, 50 person auto chess?

Why are you against a basic menu? Having the option the launch the game for itself without going straight from dota to match would be nice.
Where is that ranking system? :)

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
I've been super intrigued by this how would I start? Immediately sorry if the instructions to play it are just like a subscribe to the workshop or something.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why are you against a basic menu? Having the option the launch the game for itself without going straight from dota to match would be nice.
Where is that ranking system? :)
There's also a menu item in the top left hand corner with the top in the world, like King and Rook

I've been super intrigued by this how would I start? Immediately sorry if the instructions to play it are just like a subscribe to the workshop or something.

I watched a bunch of streamers and there are some links in the OP.

There are some Engrish instructions in-game.

It's easiest to just play because there are a lot of things that are hard to gauge.
IDK that's just me.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017

Just launch dota and go to the arcade tab, should be the first listed game there.

I just started to play that's it. Really all you need to know:

- 3 of the same level unit will combine into a higher tier unit.
- Each unit has a race/class, hover over the raceclass and it'll tell you what bonuses you get if you have X amount of unique units of that race/class.
- Your level determines how many units you can have on the board.

One of those games that's just going to take trial and error to get.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Just launch dota and go to the arcade tab, should be the first listed game there.

I just started to play that's it. Really all you need to know:

- 3 of the same level unit will combine into a higher tier unit.
- Each unit has a race/class, hover over the raceclass and it'll tell you what bonuses you get if you have X amount of unique units of that race/class.
- Your level determines how many units you can have on the board.

One of those games that's just going to take trial and error to get.

Ahh I see thanks for the reply. I'm gonna spent the rest of my life playing this now thx :P

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Won a game yesterday with mainly assassins, if you get lucky early you can definitely snowball them versus most other early starts.

Game is definitely still super fun and I wish I was better at it, takes time to learn when to drop stuff you're going for, when to go for the value picks, etc.

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Saw the Giant Bomb video on this thing and I might have to try it out. No interest in Dota whatsoever but this seems like a cool deck builder type deal

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
I literally played this game for 20+ hours straight yesterday, and I learned my skills deteriorate by hour 15. Went from a Bishop 3 to Knight 6. I'm also staying in Japan at the moment, and my god is the Asian pub meta so much more aggro compared to Western meta I've seen on videos and streams. I've been conditioned to level up round 4 (right after creep rounds) if I don't get a 2 star to not get completely blown out...