• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017

In this episode of "What will the YouTube Algorithm Bless Me With Today?", I came across a very bizarre yet comforting feeling of nostalgia.

The above videos somehow make me long for a scene that I wasn't even part of. I wasn't a cool kid in high school, and didn't start going out until my mid-20s, and yet, those videos makes me feel like I was part of the teenage partying scene that I seemingly missed out on.

They also made me realize what a damn good run pop music had from 2008 to about 2012/2013. I didn't appreciate it back then.

Who here was part of that 2008-2012 party scene? What was your year? Tell me what I missed out on so I can feel bad about it.

Last edited:

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
2008-2012 was high school for me. Didn't go to any parties. I'd like a version of this that was "at a high school auditorium" since that's where I heard a lot of this era of pop music. That and in the car with my sister.

Strangiato

Oct 28, 2017
Oh wow the second the music started playing I actually got chills. This is such a neat idea.
They should dub in some random bathroom sounds. Running water, flushing, giggling, the sound of the bathroom door opening and closing and the music getting clear for a second.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Those bathrooms are a lot cleaner than they were in reality.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
Even though I was a senior in 2007 I have much more nostalgia for the 90s version of these.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Mmmmm. Bringing back both good and bad memories. What a weird thing to make!

The next day, I'd always have to wash all the clothes I wore immediately because they were absolutely permeated with cigarette smoke. One thing I don't miss.

AMAGON

Prominent Member
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
That 2008 video just gave me super nostalgia during my early 20's at the bars/clubs.

Geezus I'm getting old.

😥

Summit

Banned
Mar 1, 2021
Reminds me of the time I was in the bathroom at a rave for like thirty minutes freaking out because the ecstasy my friend gave me was actually just meth and now I'm feeling anxious.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
god i've been feeling fierce nostalgia for like... 2009/2010 lately. it's haunting me

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
OP these videos hit in such a specific way. Thank you, but also screw you haha

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
it is saturday night. 2009. i'm in the stalls with my keys in my nose

it is saturday night. 2021. i am at home, my children and dog are asleep

for a second i almost miss it

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
I would be angrily hammering on the bathroom stall door while someone is either doing drugs/having sex/both before I stumble upstairs, realize I can't hold it in, throw up in a corner and hope the bouncer doesn't notice but he does, now I am trying to work my way into the crowd hoping he won't be able to find me but that's drunk person thinking. So we are arguing and I am adamant I am 'Not that drunk' as I slur my words, getting him angrier because what the fuck, we both saw you hurl.

Now im outside, my card is inside, and im taking the subway home trying not to sleep or else I wake up in the end of the Bronx.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Now im outside, my card is inside, and im taking the subway home trying not to sleep or else I wake up in the end of the Bronx.
I've definitely had a few subway rides like that. Worse was when I would be repeatedly telling myself in my head to not throw up on the train. Somehow I never did. On my 21st birthday I did throw up upon immediately exiting the doors when I got to my stop. Luckily it was an outdoor platform at least. But RIP my shoes.

Having to pee while on the train after a night of drinking was also pretty awful. I've definitely gone to the end of some station platforms and peed onto the tracks. Peed behind many, many cars and alleys as well.

Lost a couple phones/iPods and left many cards behind at bars/clubs.

I was a god damn train wreck.

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
Most of the bars I went to playing this kinda music had speakers in the bathroom, too. Only really got this a little bit at house parties.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Most of the bars I went to playing this kinda music had speakers in the bathroom, too. Only really got this a little bit at house parties.
Most bars and clubs I went to in NYC would be blasting the music so loudly that having speakers in the bathroom wouldn't make much sense, since you can still hear it anyway. Speakers in the bathroom was more a thing in some restaurants.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I remember stumbling upon this a few years ago, with this one:

And it made me way too fucking sad :(

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
I've definitely had a few subway rides like that. Worse was when I would be repeatedly telling myself in my head to not throw up on the train. Somehow I never did. On my 21st birthday I did throw up upon immediately exiting the doors when I got to my stop. Luckily it was an outdoor platform at least. But RIP my shoes.

Having to pee while on the train after a night of drinking was also pretty awful. I've definitely gone to the end of some station platforms and peed onto the tracks. Peed behind many, many cars and alleys as well.

Lost a couple phones/iPods and left many cards behind at bars/clubs.

I was a god damn train wreck.

Yup. So many times pissing in between trains, which now when those random stories of people falling between the tracks while doing the same bullshit makes you think what the fuck were you thinking.

Oct 25, 2017
I spent 2008-2009 in Madrid going out 2 times a week on average. Just need some terrible Spanish pop to round out the American top 40 I was subjected to

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
In 2009, I was 23. Never been a party person. Looking at my Last.fm profile (which I started on May 25th, 2009), I had gotten Guitar Hero On Tour: Decades, and had been listening to songs from that a bunch.

Prompto

Oct 25, 2017
Some of these songs in the OP are unlocking memories I didn't even realize I still had. Kiss me thru the phone hit the hardest lol Immediately brought me back to the first party I went to in high school

We're old guys :(

Illuvatar

Jan 22, 2019
In 2008 I was sporadically partying in some underground clubs where they held dnb / techno / goa events. The sort of clubs that would get raided by the police a lot because of the rampant drug use. The bathrooms were always reminiscent of that scene in Smack my Bitch Up. Some really weird shit was always around the corner.
Good times.

the lizard

Nov 1, 2017
oh god, this was my freshman/sophomore year in college (during which I spent my fair share of time in bathrooms at parties)... so this is an absolute nostalgia blast for me

True Underdog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I dig this trend and the slowed/reverbed trend in general on youtube because it makes for good background aesthetic.

Semi-related, this one gives me nostalgia too: