• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's weird to see it applied to every level of controversy. From benign incident to fucked up stuff

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it's overused as fuck... and sadly I've been guilty of using it a couple of times in recent weeks as well.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
Yikes, OP. Is this the hill you want to die on? You're clearly not arguing in good faith and this problematic hot take is not a good look, don't @ me. Woof, imagine thinking this thread is a good idea in 2019. Eesh, ThAt'S gOnNa Be A nO fRoM mE, dAwG.

H-I-M

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
Someone I texted yesterday literally replied with, "yikes"

Edit: I sent nudes

fcr75y.jpg

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Yikes, OP. Is this the hill you want to die on? You're clearly not arguing in good faith and this problematic hot take is not a good look, don't @ me. Woof, imagine thinking this thread is a good idea in 2019. Eesh, ThAt'S gOnNa Be A nO fRoM mE, dAwG.

<involuntary twitching>

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
I fucking haaaaate it

That and this gif
tumblr_m9lmg2G4XN1r5govf.gif

Use this instead, she's so much cuter than that girl up there and it says yikes without actually saying it and triggering people like me that hate it
t
giphy.gif

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
Yikes OP, this is not a very woke thread. Don't know why you are stanning for this.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
It's times like this I wish I didn't know English so I could miss out on some of the stupid shit I read on social media these days.

Luckily we have "nel prro" in Spanish, which is stupid as well but it's my native language and I love it.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
Not a good look
Is this the hill you want to die on
Oof
Yikes

I think I'm close to a full set here. Just need a yikes to complete, although I've had a couple of "hills to die on" so maybe I can trade.

All those phrases say to me is "I like to see myself as part of a group" which adds nothing to the conversation.

Kinanza

Jun 25, 2018
Ok so I really don't care about Yikes, but I really want to know where Yas Queen and Slay came from

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Taking issue with the over (or under) use of certain (non-inflammatory) words is a big oof.

Who cares?

Oct 25, 2017
Taking issue with the over (or under) use of certain (non-inflammatory) words is a big oof.

Who cares?
In a world where it wasn't so constant (pre 2016), we didn't care.

It's weird to see it applied to every level of controversy. From benign incident to fucked up stuff
I was playing Mario Party with a friend. He asked me why one of my trophies was a different color, I told him I got 2nd place on that map and his response was yikes.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
We had a thread on this not so long ago. This is what I said then:

"It seems to be reserved for people who have nothing of value to add but desperate to register their disapproval. One of many internet buzz words/phrases that allow people to say something without having to actually express themselves and articulate a sentence."

It's definitely one of those 'I must be getting old' feelings but I absolutely abhor how a word or phrase just takes off and becomes the go to rebuttal for internet discourse, 'hot take' or just 'take' in general is another example. It is not only boring and uninteresting to read post after post saying almost exactly the same thing but it often reduces complex discussions and sensitive subjects to a series of mimetic responses. What's worse is I have definitely fallen into the trap from time to time.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I was never particularly bothered by the word but based on replies here I guess it's time to yeet that yikes from my vocabulary