• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nemoral

Oct 25, 2017
Fiddler's Green
Dumb young man being wrong about the history of science and civilization is about to learn a valuable life lesson about not being a racist dumbass on camera.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
I always laugh at how fragile white peoples ego can be sometimes. My wife has a friend who will sometimes go on a rants which boil down to her taking it personal when white people are criticized and it being unfair for XYZ hardship she went through(she didn't, she's absurdly privileged).

Cocaloch

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Where the Fenians Sleep
Is this true? Like, why? Sounds bizzare.

Because any conception of ethic identity for white people would have to involve Europe? It's weird to me that people are shocked by this, last time I checked plenty of Europeans have the same ethnic realist perspective. Until European nations really embrace civic nationality they'll be based on the same thing.

It's certainly a less absurd idea than all French people having Gaulish ancestors, and that's in French textbooks. Or Northern Italians saying Africa starts at the Po.

Last edited:

cyress8

Avenger
Hello, fellow white person. This kind of performative self-flagellation is bullshit and is asking POC to take on even more emotional labor to respond to it. Sometimes, most of the time, the right action is to shut up, listen, and signal boost the voices of the people actually affected by what is happening. Not to self-pityingly turn all the attention on yourself.

Stop.
I agree with this. This thread and the one on gaf will be 100% about that post.

jipewithin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because any conception of ethic identity for white people would have to involve Europe? It's weird to me that people are shocked by this, last time I checked plenty of Europeans have the same ethnic realist perspective. Until European nations really embrace civic nationality they'll be based on the same thing.
Well french are french, italians italians, germans are germans, spanish are spanish etc. I think it's different than american saying being european just because that person is white. There is no "european culture" or being "european". Im from northern europe and cultural differences are big in many parts of europe.

Of course I guess it's just what being "european" means. To me it just means EU, nothing culture or ethnicity based.

Cocaloch

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Where the Fenians Sleep
Well french are french, italians italians, germans are germans, spanish are spanish etc. I think it's different than american saying being european just because that person is white. There is no "european culture" or being "european". Im from northern europe and cultural differences are big in many parts of europe.

Of course I guess it's just what being "european" means.

Besides the fact that plenty of Europeans disagree with what you're saying here. The entire conception that Italian, Spanish, and German are meaningful ethnic categories is closely related to this mindset, hence the ethic realism I mentioned.

Like it's not a good idea, but I have a hard time believing anyone could really be shocked by its existence if they have much of a conception of the last 230 years of history.

jipewithin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Besides the fact that plenty of Europeans disagree with what you're saying here. The entire conception that Italian, Spanish, and German are meaningful ethnic categories is closely related to this mindset, hence the ethic realism I mentioned.
Im sure there are plenty of people with different opinions on this subject where there is no correct answer. I do think those are meaningful ethnic categories and different populations.

Educated myself and this was pretty good definition. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_Europe

NervousXtian

Oct 27, 2017
More like "worst." White people are a fucking scourge. And I say that as a white guy.

You do realize that lumping all people into one category by color of skin is the same thing racists do to justify their own racism.

Through the ages the scourge on humanity has always been by those seeking power, regardless of ethnicity.

SK9000

Nov 15, 2017
These people are so dumb it boggles my mind... What has that person done that contributed to mankind?

Cocaloch

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Where the Fenians Sleep
Im sure there are plenty of people with different opinions on this subject where there is no correct answer. I do think those are meaningful ethnic categories and different populations.

Educated myself and this was pretty good definition. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_Europe

Ethnicities aren't real in the abstract they are social constructs meaningful for various reasons. In the sense that people use them all are thus meaningful. Doesn't mean German as ethnicity, which is again different from a civic identification, is somehow more real than white American.

It's certainly easy to poke holes in all your examples. Bretons in France, Basque in Spain and France, Northern Italian "Celtic" separatists and Südtriol in Italy, Frisians and Schleswig in Germany. Probably Sami in your country. The conflation of the ethic/nation with the state is dangerous in many places not just the states. It's also the basis for almost all modern states.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Back on topic, its can't be denied that the European dominated western world has shaped the world. Plus invented literal murder factories and we're all now facing the barrel of the gun known as climate change. Plus, not to mention we're all lucky we didn't go kaboom in the 1950s to 1980s. If you want credit for the United Nations take the blame when China is a security council member.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
These people are so dumb it boggles my mind... What has that person done that contributed to mankind?
Nothing.

I'm pretty sure most people who buy into white supremacy have never accomplished anything in their lives, and therefore want a participation ribbon that tells them they're the best without inconveniencing them with the need to actually do anything.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017

It's certainly a less absurd idea than all French people having Gaulish ancestors, and that's in French textbooks. Or Northern Italians saying Africa starts at the Po.

Well, American whiteness has frequently acted contrary to the idea of some pan-European identity, Europe is a continent not even all Europeans feel a core connection to, an ancestral connection to Europe along the lines white Americans tend to have is a hilariously stupid basis upon which to rest feelings of racial superiority, and "my ancestors are from Europe" leading to "I'm European" requires certain leaps that are often racist in nature.

So yeah, it's kind of bizarre, all in all.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Isn't this that same dude that flipped out and said we need to bring back slavery or whatever when that Barista spillee coffee on him, and then he got decked in front of the coffee shop?

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Its always strange to me how white supremacists point to ancestors. Bitch its 2018 and what have YOU done specifically besides look like a sociopath?

gfxtwin

Use of alt account
Oct 28, 2017
download.jpg

chicken_pasta

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
White supremacists (American ones specifically) like to call themselves Europeans even if they couldn't tell you the last time one of their ancestors were born there.
That applies to almost every white us citizen, though. The amount of times I've heard someone boasting about them being 0.025% Italian or 1% German is ridiculous.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As a POC, I have never understood self hating white people. This is just cringe inducing. Don't shame your heritage for the actions of idiots.
It's not really self hating, when a white person say "fuck white people" they're not saying fuck me, fuck my family and my friends. And really, only white supremacists even think of themselves in terms white heritage. When most white people talk about their heritage they're talking about their Irish/Italian/German/whatever roots.

Anyway, I think white people as a concept was and still is extremely harmful, especially in the US, and I think it's more than fine to hate on it.

I'm also Jewish so you can take away my self hate when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Ethnicities aren't real in the abstract they are social constructs meaningful for various reasons. In the sense that people use them all are thus meaningful. Doesn't mean German as ethnicity, which is again different from a civic identification, is somehow more real than white American.

It's certainly easy to poke holes in all your examples. Bretons in France, Basque in Spain and France, Northern Italian "Celtic" separatists and Südtriol in Italy, Frisians and Schleswig in Germany. Probably Sami in your country. The conflation of the ethic/nation with the state is dangerous in many places not just the states. It's also the basis for almost all modern states.

Yep. I mean, if you look at France, the modern French 'ethnicity' is more recent than the US. Most of the country didn't even speak French during the revolution iirc.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Not to be that guy; yeah we can make the arguments about things like curing of diseases, mortality rates, etc. Going to skip the talk of what is 'whiteness' since its its own weird self-serving construct and focus on what he probably ascribes as credits to his 'race'.

Sure, the industrial revolution has brought us absolute wonders, But through colonialism, world wars, climate change there's a good argument to be made that the world isn't really a better place after the rise of Europe. Sure I am typing this up on a technological marvel that would be unimaginable only a few decades ago; at the same time the manufacturing of said device has a heavy cost in labor and pollution.

There's an idea we have (me included) that because as a societal group living in a first world nation we've got comforts and technology, but looking at the bigger picture (rising suicide rates, general unhappiness in the West), not sure if we are ahead of the game as far as human society is concerned.

This calls to mind that 'missionary' that tried to go to Sentinel Island in order to bring them religion and apparently sports (he tried to offer them a soccer ball, lol). Sure, they may be stuck in a hell where they die at 30 and every day is a struggle, but maybe they've built up a society where everyone belongs and the happiness index eclipses the west.

Taki

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so this guy is a student there? not gonna be for long.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of signal boosting, that's what you're doing right now for the sort of trash who use 'virtue signaling' and 'SJW' unironically.
Well, their specialty has always been projection and a lack of self-awareness.

Though I agree with people needing to learn to listen and amplify voices rather than talk over those affected.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm an actual European and we DID save millions of people from starvation. After killing and enslaving hundreds of millions of them obviously. Also we did in the Aztecs and Incas practically overnight. Oh yeah and words like Algebra are Arabic and oh yeah China had significantly more advanced chemistry than us and the Greeks borrowed heavily from Egypt and Persia. Europeans have done some fantastic things but never alone and never in isolation.

Cocaloch

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Where the Fenians Sleep
Well, American whiteness has frequently acted contrary to the idea of some pan-European identity, Europe is a continent not even all Europeans feel a core connection to, an ancestral connection to Europe along the lines white Americans tend to have is a hilariously stupid basis upon which to rest feelings of racial superiority, and "my ancestors are from Europe" leading to "I'm European" requires certain leaps that are often racist in nature.

So yeah, it's kind of bizarre, all in all.

Thisis an argument for it being bad, and I agree with that. It's not an argument for it being strange. It's part of the same nation building that happened throughout Europe, except for Britain for very complicated reasons, in the late 18th and 19th centuries. Look at my last two examples again.