• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Blue Skies

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Statistically, the majority of people don't become what they wanted to be as a small kid. Hell, statistically, we're all changing to entirely different career paths what? Every 5-10 years?

I've wanted to be:

1. Paleontologist
2. Radiologist
3. Robotics Engineer
4. Video game designer
5. Video game journalist
6. Army General
7. Judge
8. Lawyer
9. Doctor (just in general)

All before 18!

Of all those careers, maybe a robotics engineer would have been both employable and a good fit for my personality?

Paleontology isn't exactly a rapidly growing field

Becoming a doctor/radiologist isn't something I have the work ethic to complete nor do I handle death/dying all that well

There are too many lawyers and you have to be a very well connected individual to become a judge.

Video game designers get treated like rented mules and video game journalism always seemed like a "right time, right place" kind of thing.

It's exceedingly and almost impossibly difficult to make the rank of general in the army without getting booted out well before then. Plus I now know I'm not a good fit for the military lifestyle.

So, I ended up in accounting/finance because I'm obviously risk adverse and I'm okay with numbers. I still don't know what I want to be when I "grow up" and referring back to the fact that people change careers all the time, I'm not alone.
Haha, I get that, I've wanted, in order as I remember it, lawyer, architect, businessman, special ops, politician, journalist and, economist.
Currently I'm going back to school for economics

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I wanted to be an artist from the time I was 3 years old.

I'm now 30 years old and currently an artist. Yay.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I did. I loved it for awhile and then realized I couldn't do it for the rest of my life. I quit and changed paths. Now I take it a day at a time and have no clue what the future holds.

BourbonAFC

Oct 26, 2017
I wanted to be an actor when I was ten. I did theater in high school and I was pretty good at it by high school standards. Had a really good teacher, two of his former students are the creators of Beetlejuice the Musical. I was very close to going to school for it, but reality set in and it never happened. It bums me out thinking what could have been sometimes but I'm pretty happy in life and I had an amazing high school experience all because of my childhood dream. So things didn't turn out too bad!

Deleted member 13148

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nope. I wanted to be an NBA star, which didn't really work out. My second dream job was becoming a video game developer, but ended up becoming a software developer outside of the games industry.

mm04

Oct 27, 2017
Grade school yearbook we got asked the question and I said "Computer programmer living in Hawaii". 25+ years in the industry and vacation in Hawaii every year last 15 years. Close enough.

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
Actor/Comedian.

Worked in filmmaking for a short amount of time.

Now I'm a medical device technician. Eh, I can still make people laugh!

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
I'm the president and the chosen one now so pretty much yes I'm the best

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I have a distinct memory of seeing the behind-the-scenes VHS for Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero and deciding then and there that I wanted to make video games. I would've been eight years old and I basically figured that I would grow up and write the stories for future Mortal Kombat entries after moving to Chicago to work at Midway.

Well, I *do* live in Chicago now, but I don't work in games (though I did for a time) and I certainly have nothing to do with Mortal Kombat. I'm a Technical Project Manager at a mid-size creative agency, which is decidedly NOT what I envisioned. S'all good, though.

Oh, and for fun, here's that VHS featurette:

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I wanted to be a surgeon. I ended up being a pathologist. Very close, still a doctor! :)

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Wanted to be a basketball player. There was no doubt in my mind at that time that I would be.

But I didn't.

Not long after that I started writing fiction and thought maybe I'd do that.

Also didn't.

Osa15

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
I wanted to be the king of the Pirate. I wanted to find the legendary treasure known as One Piece.

However, that thing is damn hard to find and it doesn't put food on my table. So I moved to Medellin Columbia to try and become a drug kingpin. That didn't work either so now I m just an average joe working at Target. My kids self must be very ashamed. But I don't blame him. I blame society. With systematic rascism making it nearly impossible for a black persons to find a high paying job, there is nothing we can do but vote for a radical left politician that can shake the establishment

Deleted member 46429

Self-requested ban
Banned
Aug 4, 2018
"I wanna design lego sets"

"I put together components on an optical table and figure out why nothing works"

close enough i guess

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
At various points, a game developer or a journalist. No.

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not an Oscar-winner screenwriter so no. I do work in development at least and support myself further by working in the EV industry.

That said, I'd like to finish something great. Someday.

meowdi gras

Banned
Feb 24, 2018
Someday, I hope to grow up and become an actual functional adult. Fortunately, I'm only 43, so I have a long time to get there.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the "graduation" thing we had between Pre-K and 1st grade I said I wanted to be a scientist and received my "diploma" with a doctors coat. 25 years later, moving through 3 universities in 2 countries, after almost a decade in school and defending my PhD last year. I am a research engineer. I guess I pretty much got exactly where I wanted.

orlock

Oct 28, 2017
i never had an answer as a kid. or as a teen, or young adult, or even now at 33.

Yesterday

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wanted to study bugs but my family convinced me there's no money in that so now I do boring work on a computer

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Surprisingly yes. With some caveats.

I somehow ended up being both a "scientist" (I'm a researcher) and a college professor (Due to my MBA scholarship that gives me teaching duties) which is what I told everyone I wanted to become when I grew up.

I'm broke and poor and sad af because I don't really get paid /paid/ for any that, but I can't say I'm not living my childhood dream. And at a relatively young age too.

Guess I just needed to be a bit more specific about my dream back then haha.

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Ever since I've seen Robotech as a kid, and then Aeon Flux as a teen, I wanted to be an animator. I work in Motion Graphics now running my own shop, so I guess I hit my goal in a lateral fashion. Been doing it for 20 years now.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
There were a number of things I wanted to be when I was a kid:

Listed in order of preference at the time:

1. Karate Cop
2. Martial arts movie star
3. Astronomer
4. Wizard
5. Comic Book creator
6. Computer Scientist
7. Movie Director
8. Paleontologist
9. Hacker
10. Writer

Studying computer science right now.

Doran

Jun 9, 2018
I wanted to make video games, worked in the industry for about 5 years and got incredibly burnt out and changed fields. It very quickly went from dream job to job with a lot of unpaid overtime.

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
The 1 key thing I wanted to be as a kid: a paleontologist
I was obsessed with dinosaurs and prehistoric times, I was certain - as certain as a 10 year old (and younger) could be about this future occupation.

Yeah no, that never happened. I work a desk job with IT rubbish something something.

Deleted member 19218

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wanted to be homeless but instead I became a Police Constable, did it for a bit, didn't like it and now I live in Japan living out my nerd fantasies. I guess it's a fun and accomplished life.

BubbaKrumpz

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yay Area
Wanted to be SWAT or dream goal, the FBIs HRT. Lol not even close. Either that or a fighter pilot. I was super into planes as a kid and I'm into them now but not as much.

If I could turn back time I'd like to be a pathologist.

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not even close, but I'm still trying. A lot of mistakes and even more stuff wildly out of my control I had to adapt to.

But at 33, I'm still chasing the same dream was I was at 10. At the very least I'd like to think I'm a bit more clever than I was back then.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Like many kids, I wanted to be a pilot. I didn't become a pilot, but I did get to fly a lot. So, it kind of worked out.

DannyClash

Oct 25, 2017
I wanted to be a vet. Then I wanted to be an academic. Got the doctorate, got majorly burnt out, got no momentum atm

Wonder what's next

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I wanted to be a pilot or an astronaut. I used to love astronomy when I was kid. Now I am software developer...

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I wanted to be a paleontologist. That didn't happen, but I think kid me would support me being a zookeeper.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Wanted to be an aerospace engineer. Ended up in medicine lol.

Edit: Seeing a lot of people wanted to become physicians. I never desired to go into medicine as a kid. Not even remotely lol