• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Passionate people will run themselves into the ground and need to be protected from their own work habits.

No one made me do insane hours when I first started in my industry. I wanted to do it, I loved doing it. I burned myself out after months of 15 hour days.

I got paid overtime and a pat of the head for my efforts. What I needed was for someone to tell me to go home. Which eventually happened when I completely burned out and was like a walking zombie.

Passionate, creative, workaholic people choosing to work crazy hours need to be protected from themselves.
That's essentially what it takes. You work so much on something you care about and eventually, it takes your whole world and you need a process in place to help people ease off the gas.

There is something thrilling, to me, to put everything else in my life on hold. To begrudge everything that's taking me away from my project. Last weekend my girlfriend had to force me to go to the doctor on Friday because my Bell's palsy flared up again (Happens during periods of great stress) and I couldn't feel parts of my face, and then she forced me to take the weekend off, but even then once she fell asleep I was going into the office to work on stuff.

I just can't personally help it. When I have a big project on a deadline I can't think about anything else and it would be great if my company had a system in place to kind of MAKE me take a step back, but the reality is that this sort of crunching is encouraged and lauded even in my field, which is something much more mundane than game dev or software development.

Fachasaurus

Oct 27, 2017
This simply doesn't work in larger studios with many employees. It WILL lead to a culture of crunch because if staying longer means better chances of promotion, then by definition it means the people working normal hours are harming their careers. It is 100% management's responsibility to curb crunch and straight up tell people to go home. The poster you quoted is right. This philosophy of yours is exactly why crunch culture is a thing in so many companies. They can all say "management never demands crunch" but at the end of the day if half the team is doing it, you will be pressured to do it too, and your career will suffer the consequences if you don't, regardless of how good your work is.

The only time crunch is a "choice" is when it's a 1-person development "team". You can read in Schreier's book how the dude making Stardew worked himself to the bone for years. It's still tremendously unhealthy.

Again, I have worked at very large companies and very small companies. And in fact, my experience has personally shown me that smaller companies and their deadlines usually demanded more "toxic" crunch because we were trying to prove ourselves to clients that we were worth a damn in comparison to the bigger guys so we can gain repeat business. But even with regards to larger companies, you tunnel visioned on the concept that "crunching" is the only way to earn promotions or to get ahead in their careers. But that isn't always the case for when and why many people who crunch choose to do so. Some may choose to do so for several reasons, including personal ambition. You can't just say flat out "the only time crunch is a choice..." because it's simply not indicative of every employee at every company in the world. And from my experience, often times crunch is rewarded in one way or or another - but that would never be brought up in any of these threads.

That's why I said it needs to be on the individual to decide how much they can push themselves or how far they can carry it. Because management can indeed sometimes only see you as a number and can ignore you as an actual human being. Or maybe because your coworkers may work slower or faster than you at varying tasks and you want to make sure you are doing your part for the team with your strengths to keep the ship moving forward in unison. Or maybe your personal ambition and achievements are just that, personal - so you need to decide whether something is worth it or not for your own growth.

To be clear, I am not advocating for companies to treat employees like machines. I can't stress that enough. All I was trying to express was that management forcing people to go home at X o'clock is not a the solution because it doesn't give everyone the health and wellness people assume it does. It comes with it's own issues when you work in a demanding and dynamic environment.

But to reiterate my main point, it's that not all "crunch" is the same and we need more context before throwing blanket statements about this topic. I don't want to keep defending my personal experiences because its either black or white out here on ERA...

I just can't personally help it. When I have a big project on a deadline I can't think about anything else and it would be great if my company had a system in place to kind of MAKE me take a step back, but the reality is that this sort of crunching is encouraged and lauded even in my field, which is something much more mundane than game dev or software development.

What kind of system would your company have to put in place so that you wouldn't think about work outside of work? Even if they banned you from working beyond your typical hours, locked up the office doors and said no more overtime pay - it still sounds like it would still consume you outside of work hours. This is why I am saying it sort of needs to be on the individual to have the introspection to learn about and apply limits to yourself. You're self imposing crunch and this happens a lot to many people. But it's part of human nature.

Again, not defending companies forcing crunch, but more trying to elaborate the concept of crunch coming in multiple forms.

Last edited:

Molten_

Oct 28, 2017
not to defend crunch, but as an indie dev sometimes I will become so impassioned with a project that I will find myself "cunching" so to speak ... I just really really want to work on the game. I mean just look at game jams like Ludum Dare where developers intentionally put themselves in crunch for two days straight to finish a game. while I doubt the situation is even close the same, I can see what he means when he says the developers are passionate and choose to do it.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
not to defend crunch, but as an indie dev sometimes I will become so impassioned with a project that I will find myself "cunching" so to speak ... I just really really want to work on the game. I mean just look at game jams like Ludum Dare where developers intentionally put themselves in crunch for two days straight to finish a game. while I doubt the situation is even close the same, I can see what he means when he says the developers are passionate and choose to do it.
They are indeed not the same, unless you have to fear your job and/or relationship with other coworkers if you decide not to do so for weeks on end. Out of 'passion', of course. No pressure.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Even though I really wanted to work in the gaming industry, its poor working conditions ultimately led me on another path. Baiscally, if you want to work in the gaming industry as a dev, you have to forfeit most of your personal life. It's especially true with AAA development. The insane expectations set by publishers also mean you can't afford one bad title (unless you're Bioware it seems). Execs know people who work on games are passionate about their craft and use that as a lever to push for unpaid extra hours, 16 hours shift and more. No hobby is worth that cost IMO.

Shadout

Oct 27, 2017
There is nothing wrong with overtime for a period, to finish a project.
What is wrong is extreme overtime, and/or for very long periods of time. Stories of 100+ hour weeks, or crunching for a year is just bad, and every time developers/publishers try to justify it, I kinda just want to watch it all burn down.

Unionizing wouldn't mean that companies and employees suddenly couldn't crunch anymore. But it might help with setting some standards for what is reasonable, and it could make it somewhat easier for employees to say when they think it is too much.

Passionate, creative, workaholic people choosing to work crazy hours need to be protected from themselves.
Yeah, well said.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Comments on crunch from studio leads always seem out of touch. When a person's name is prominently attached to the project and they give the speech when the game wins an award I don't think their perspective on crunch is valuable.

It's the employees who feel pressure to crunch to keep their jobs, or not let their team down, that makes it egregious. The industry seeing development methods that result in horror stories of stress and pressure as routinely acceptable.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Did anyone said that they're not buying doom because of crunch? I'm just wondering, since I saw multiple people said they're not buying cyberpunk because of same exact reason

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Even though I really wanted to work in the gaming industry, its poor working conditions ultimately led me on another path. Baiscally, if you want to work in the gaming industry as a dev, you have to forfeit most of your personal life. It's especially true with AAA development. The insane expectations set by publishers also mean you can't afford one bad title (unless you're Bioware it seems). Execs know people who work on games are passionate about their craft and use that as a lever to push for unpaid extra hours, 16 hours shift and more. No hobby is worth that cost IMO.

this is true for really many jobs out there and has nothing to do with the gaming industry...especially if you are self employed. and:do people think indie devs don´t crunch at all?

besides that, people should know what they are getting into at this point. if someone gets into a AAA studio they kinda expect long days. it would be utterly naive in 2020 to think they have a normal 9 to 5 job there.

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
You don't "just choose" to crunch. There is usually some career and social pressure involved.
Honestly, not necessarily. I've crunched pretty hard a few times (I'm working in animation, not video games, but it's pretty much the same thing) and it was 100% my choice.

Nobody pressured me into this, I just wanted to do it. On the other hand, I detest mandatory crunch. It's pretty unproductive, everybody is miserable and tension always at an all time high.

But I can believe a tight-knit team chooses to crunch for a bit because they believe in the project. A year-long crunch is stupid though. If you have to do that, you have pretty massive planning issues.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
this is true for really many jobs out there and has nothing to do with the gaming industry...especially if you are self employed. and:do people think indie devs don´t crunch at all?

besides that, people should know what they are getting into at this point. if someone gets into a AAA studio they kinda expect long days. it would be utterly naive in 2020 to think they have a normal 9 to 5 job there.
I think it depends on what you're doing. If you're PR or communications, I can guess, save for catastrophes or press events, you could work a 9-4.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Honestly, not necessarily. I've crunched pretty hard a few times (I'm working in animation, not video games, but it's pretty much the same thing) and it was 100% my choice.
By doing it, you put pressure on people who didn't do it. It is pretty common social behavior.
And managers love people like you :)

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Being proud of working really hard on something is pretty natural. Being proud of enduring hardship is pretty natural too.

Like, anyone who has ever excelled at something will have difficulty separating the hard work from the accomplishment.
Sure, working hard for something and it paying hard is great.

However, crunch in gaming is a real problem. A lot of people don't have time to rest or see their famiies due to crunch cause they feel forced to "do the right thing" cause it is a team effort. Not only that, it was proven that crunch isn't needed becaue people under stress and no rest work way worse than people who actually have some free time. To be proud of that is really tone deaf.

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
You don't "just choose" to crunch. There is usually some career and social pressure involved.
That is not always accurate. Some people love their job so much they'll do it as much as possible, and pressure isn't involved at all. Where I work people have had to be told to take time off.

Oct 25, 2017
Every time someone says they are happy when a game gets delayed because it means less crunch, we should point to this article. If anything, it sounds like it means EVEN MORE crunch on the developers.
I mean from the get-go anyone who thought that was either uncritically drinking corporate Kool-Aid for some reason or just doesn't want to talk about crunch and and were using that to silence any discussion about it.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Fyi privately owned companies have shareholders too. They're just a much smaller group.

Correct. Every corporation has at least one shareholder. Typically when referring to shareholder pressure (activist shareholder) you are really talking about market pressure and specifically public companies. My original point was that a private company doesn't face the same market pressures as a public company. It is easy to create a narrative that because of shareholder pressure we end up with crunch. When reality is far more complex.

Yes to your second point that owners like to turn a profit. They are a business after all and want to take advantage of market conditions to optimize their chances of success.

Last edited:

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017

Nobody pressured me into this, I just wanted to do it. On the other hand, I detest mandatory crunch. It's pretty unproductive, everybody is miserable and tension always at an all time high.

But I can believe a tight-knit team chooses to crunch for a bit because they believe in the project. A year-long crunch is stupid though. If you have to do that, you have pretty massive planning issues.
This, except for the length of time thing. I've been on teams (as someone not a programmer) which, even with the very best planning, still allots months and months for crunch. Some jobs just tend to involve a lot of work and are extremely time sensitive.

Also, for the betterment of discussion, everyone, private companies *absolutely* can have shareholders.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
Sure, working hard for something and it paying hard is great.

However, crunch in gaming is a real problem. A lot of people don't have time to rest or see their famiies due to crunch cause they feel forced to "do the right thing" cause it is a team effort. Not only that, it was proven that crunch isn't needed becaue people under stress and no rest work way worse than people who actually have some free time. To be proud of that is really tone deaf.

I agree.

The difference is, some people call working 60 hours for two weeks "crunching" and some places call working 100 hours for a year straight "crunching".

Some people's lives and/or mental health are severely compromised by working 60 hours a week for 2 weeks, for some people it's perfectly fine or desired.

It's unlikely (or incredibly rare) that anyone benefits from 100 hour work weeks, let alone for years on end. But "crunch" is not all cut and dry (similarly to how some places will call working 100 hour work weeks "sprinting" to obfuscate their harm).

EDIT: also, even for people who just crunch themselves on their own indie games (which is probably more widespread than even the AAA industry), they can at least reap the results directly from their work (or not, there's definitely no guarantee)...one has to recognize that Lebron James has likely sacrificed a lot (or at least a lot more) than others to be the best/most recognized/etc. That's why it's so hard to decouple pride from sacrifice...because generally, all of the greats have done so by sacrificing more than others.
EDIT pt 2: to put metrics on it: if Lebron is 10 out of 10 successful/best and he sacrificed 10 out 10, there's also a legion of people who sacrificed 10 out of 10 and only became 1/2/3/whatever successful/best. But I'd be hard pressed to find other 10 out of 10 successful/best people who didn't sacrifice 9 or 10 out of 10.

So people will often justify the 10 out of 10 sacrifice because it mirrors the mindset of the "best".

Last edited:

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
By doing it, you put pressure on people who didn't do it. It is pretty common social behavior.
And managers love people like you :)
Not really. It's a pretty small team, a lot of people have kids and do regular hours. And nobody, management included, ever reproaches them not doing it, or forces employees to do crunch. It's my choice, I have a financial deal in place with the studio and I only do it when I'm feeling ok with it.

And I'm not saying crunch is ok. It's not. But I believe that it can be a personal choice.

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
This, except for the length of time thing. I've been on teams (as someone not a programmer) which, even with the very best planning, still allots months and months for crunch. Some jobs just tend to involve a lot of work and are extremely time sensitive.
Absolutely. I'm just regularly amazed by the lack of anticipation of some people in management. It sometimes feels like they rediscover how production works every time.

I've been doing this for 17 years and I know months in advance when things are going to go awry. Yet, some PM always end up surprised that production is running late. I'm sincerely impressed by that.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
"We really truly do try and be very respectful of peoples' time and lives."

Try harder

"We have very dedicated people that just choose to work a lot in many cases."

They just don't want to get fired

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
Both those things are quite important and aren't irrelevant in the context of Doom Eternal.

This one is just... I mean, this is not crunch.
This isn't what I'm saying. I'm just agreeing with the idea that people can choose to work overtime for a long period of time.

And I've worked in big studios and done the exact same thing.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely. I'm just regularly amazed by the lack of anticipation of some people in management. It sometimes feels like they rediscover how production works every time.

I've been doing this for 17 years and I know months in advance when things are going to go awry. Yet, some PM always end up surprised that production is running late. I'm sincerely impressed by that.
That's true. There's a lot of nuance of things that can happen on a job, and being poorly run is definitely a possibility.

Overall though, I do think it's always a little...odd when people say the absolute only way to interact with a job is their experiences and no other.

Even more baldly, it strikes me as very strange that people assume that everyone absolutely hates working their job. I don't. I love my work, I love having my busy schedule, and yes I would (and have in the past) done the work for non-monetary reasons, just to do the work. I realize that not everyone has that perspective, but to act like *no one* can have that perspective is...wrong.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's not always the case.

Crunch can and often is toxic, but not always. I often CHOOSE to crunch for projects I'm involved with because I like the momentum and being that involved.

The last place I worked for gave us the option, if not they hired more freelancers

yeah. Occasionally I simply feel committed to what I'm doing, and will work as long as necessary to reach a stopping point.