• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 11113

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
38167213_252074152075367_2918086452615053312_o.jpg

It might be tempting, given the state of the climate and our natural world, to say "we're fucked" and go on with your life, business as usual. Or perhaps you've made some personal changes: you've cut down on meat, you try not to fly as much and you recycle. All great things to do, but you're still worried, and you still see thread after thread reporting some new climate related horror. The truth is, in many ways we are fucked (video). But that doesn't mean we should give in and do nothing. In the face of this crisis, we need a mass movement that puts pressure on politicians to make the societal changes necessary, and that is what Extinction Rebellion is trying to do. We can't do this by ourselves - we're in this together.

What is Extinction Rebellion?
Extinction Rebellion (often shortened to "XR") is a mass movement that uses non-violent civil disobedience in an attempt to halt mass extinction and climate collapse. The group was founded last year in the UK, and has now spread quickly around the world. The movement is decentralized into regional and national groups which has allowed it to grow at a rapid pace. Anyone can join and everyone is welcome.

XR has three demands

1) TELL THE TRUTH: That the government tells the truth about the crisis we are facing by declaring a climate and ecological emergency

2) ACT NOW: That the government commits to net zero carbon emissions by 2025

3) PARTICIPATORY DEMOCRACY: The government must create and be led by the decisions of a citizens' assembly on climate and ecological justice

So how exactly does XR hope to achieve this? (video) I know the three demands may sound wildly ambitious, but the time for incremental change is over, and so far the movement has been very successful. In April this year, XR activists occupied several central bridges in London for a week and managed to get the government to declare a climate emergency, commit to net-zero carbon by 2050 and are now looking to form citizens' assemblies, although they will not have any legislative power. The three demands, then, have not been met, but considering XR has only been around for less than a year, it shows a fantastic step in the right direction. Polls have also shown that the British public's concern about the climate has skyrocketed, giving the question more importance than ever. The point here is, these tactics have proven themselves very useful in the UK, and the potential in other countries is huge. That said, the work in the UK goes on and will escalate until the demands are met.

60339144_376999329582848_6389550854017384448_o.jpg

(pic from a "die-in" at the Natural History Museum in London)

I never thought I would be involved in any sort of social movement, take to the streets, organize, all of that stuff. I'm a pretty quiet, private sort of person like I imagine a lot of people on ResetEra are as well. But I had enough of just worrying, and making personal changes. This shit is real and getting worse every day. Doing something to help mitigate it has made my life easier to live, not to mention given me a better sense of community and purpose.

And you don't need to be willing to be arrested to be involved. There are many supporting roles you can play, from media, outreach, support and much more. I help arrange discussion circles and hangouts for people to get to know each other and find ways into the movement, for example.

So what do you think, ResetEra? I created this thread as both outreach and place of discussion. Have you ever heard of XR or considered joining? What do you think of the movement's approach? If you want to know more, I'm happy to answer questions, and there is more info in the links below:

FAQs

Official UK site
Official US site
Official international site

file-photo--demonstrators-march-along-whitehall-during-an-extinction-rebellion-protest-in-london-1.jpg

Deleted member 54320

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
London
I remember heading to Uni and one of the ER members were on top of the DLR train I was in, doing something. The only time I've encountered someone from that group.

Good luck to em.

SENPAIatLARGE

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't know how non violent protest is going to prevent Bolsonaro from destroying 88% of the rainforest, but best of luck to your efforts

Sokrates

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unless you do a real, disruptive general strike, then all of your pretty posters and zingers mean nothing in the face of global capitalism.

Best of luck to you.

Oct 26, 2017
Great OP, and what the shit at all the terrible posts already. Op is trying to do something here and spread word about a movement, and folks coming in here to tell him it is hopeless. You know...the very thing the OP said we shouldn't give in and do? If you want to give up, fine, but you probably should fuck off outta this thread.

OP
OP

Deleted member 11113

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unless you do a real, disruptive general strike, then all of your pretty posters and zingers mean nothing in the face of global capitalism.

Best of luck to you.
Something like a massive strike is well within the realm of XR strategy and a very likely future possibility, but needs more people involved for it to be effective.

OP
OP

Deleted member 11113

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great OP, and what the shit at all the terrible posts already. Op is trying to do something here and spread word about a movement, and folks coming in here to tell him it is hopeless. You know...the very thing the OP said we shouldn't give in and do? If you want to give up, fine, but you probably should fuck off outta this thread.
Thanks! I would encourage the posters wanting to give up to watch the second video in the OP and see if it doesn't at least give you some new input on this issue.

youve chosen a bad forum for non-defeatist sentiment, OP
Yeah, I'm aware, but trying to work against it.

OP
OP

Deleted member 11113

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No idea. I can't say much as I'm only one person in a huge movement speculating, but the idea behind XR is to disrupt "business as usual" by, for example, blocking roads. The idea is to escalate the disruption when possible, so it seems to me a general strike would disrupt the system in a way consistent with XR aims.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
Thx for the thread. I'm not in a position to start a movement in sweden but will join a protest if it starts.

Deleted member 54320

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
London
No idea. I can't say much as I'm only one person in a huge movement speculating, but the idea behind XR is to disrupt "business as usual" by, for example, blocking roads. The idea is to escalate the disruption when possible, so it seems to me a general strike would disrupt the system in a way consistent with XR aims.
Well, good luck!

CoolOff

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Can the defeatists in this thread just please scuttle off somewhere? You're not helping. I know you don't think anything can help, but what purpose do you have for coming in here and shitting up the thread?

Thanks for the OP, just signed up for my local chapter.

thezboson

Oct 27, 2017
Great initiative!
There is no local chapter here, but I think it is just a matter of time. Will get involved.

Sokrates

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It has to go beyond blocking the roads. I'm talking occupying power plants and stations, tearing up fossil fuel infrastructure when possible, blocking border checkpoints, and anything that is essential to the economy.

Terminus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's too late, we're already fucked by the government.
What's the point? We're all gonna die anyways ._.

No shit. That's not the point. It's about fighting for the least fucked future, not avoiding fuckedness altogether. There are worlds of difference between 1.5 degrees of warming and 2, or between 2 and 3, or 3 and 4.

I'd rather lead a hard life in my later years than no life at all.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
And btw - ofc we CAN fix this, the human race that is. Like, it's not impossible. If 60% of all money in the world went into fixing this it'll be solved, np. Scientists think so too. Whether we actually will that's another matter.

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Have you seen Brexit?

And you expect the government to do anything useful beside push their own platform?

Need a plan without them if you want anything to happen.

Jason Frost

Oct 27, 2017
No shit. That's not the point. It's about fighting for the least fucked future, not avoiding fuckedness altogether. There are worlds of difference between 1.5 degrees of warming and 2, or between 2 and 3, or 3 and 4.

I'd rather lead a hard life in my later years than no life at all.
No, I mean because of the lack of any government big action in the past, I really think it is a little bit too late to save the future of the planet.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
The net-zero by 2025 is about 25 years sooner than what most governments are focusing on, but tactically it's much better to put that goal in the near future because 2050 is still far enough away that you can just call it "the future" and imply that it's somebody else's problem to fix.

I don't think it needs to be net-zero by 2025 but we do need to see massive progress towards that goal by 2030.

I think it can be done. Being almost 30 years old and having heard about global warming since I watched Bill Nye as a lad, the tone around it is much more urgent than it once was, and you're starting to see less resistance from the major sectors that were opposed to it (namely big oil coming around to the idea that something needs to be done, certain Chinese provinces working on dropping emissions and American states doing the same, the European Union making pretty significant commitments).

A good example is probably South Park, where the show's age is a good litmus test on the drift of pop culture consensus. The Manbearpig episode in the mid-2000s showed Al Gore as a Don Quixote tilting at a made-up windmill to bring attention to himself. The more recent Manbearpig episode showed the deniers as the fools, ignoring the beast slaughtering people before their eyes (though ended on a pessimistic note that we'll always sell out our futures to buy things today). Still portrayed Al Gore as a pompous ass but did not question the idea that he was right and should be listened to. The gold standard of radical-centrist TV is saying this is real, this is a problem, and the people ignoring it are morons.

My thinking is that it really comes down to elections. Key is getting Bolsonaro out and recommitting to protecting the Amazon, getting Trump out and committing American resources to push as far as we can. But that pressure can also happen at state or local levels too. It's a problem of collective action and can be a solution of collective action, one corporation, one plant, one municipality at a time, along with focusing on the big fish who can do the most help or avoid the most harm.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Young people don't vote enough and old people, who vote in droves, don't care enough about what might happen in 20 years.

Change will only come when young people become as engaged with politics as old people are. We all need to be at the polls consistently, every election, every by-election, etc if we want to see change. Try not to become disillusioned and don't let minor issues push you to not vote for someone, instead try to focus on the bigger picture and if they are willing to do something about the biggest threat to us.

Damage has already been done and I applaud all protests, but nothing changes unless we challenge old people and their selfishness at the ballot box.

Mar 29, 2018
I think I'm gonna hop in once work has calmed down a little bit.

Self-employed unfortunately, so striking etc doesn't do anything but harm me. Local disruptive action might be worthwhile though.

WolfeTone

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really care for Ed Milliband, but this was an interesting article in today's Guardian. He suggests that so much discourse surrounding the climate crisis is about the impending doom and how bad things will get. This does not motivate people to take action. Instead we should focus on solutions and the positive things we can do to improve things. This can counter the defeatist mindset we're already seeing in this thread.

Ultimately though I see it as a collective action problem that can only be solved by either a technical revolution helping us maintain our current lives sourced from clean energy or by electing governments across the world that will reduce living standards for their electorate. Only one of these seems likely to me.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
What's the aim of the disruption? Like, you disrupt until '________'. Talking specifics because if you disrupt persistently every day, effectively, I'm wondering what the resolution would be to desist.

jchap

Oct 27, 2017
We should just focus on geoengineering efforts to bail us out. It's the only practical solution.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
Good cause. Stupid methods that alienate people.

Blocking traffic in London was moronic, causing more pollution to protest climate change and blocking ambulances isn't a good way to get your point across. Some members being hypocrites don't help either (but you're always going to get that to a degree and they were blamed for things they didn't do).

Plans to target Heathrow are going to make it worse, they're not going to win hearts and minds stopping people going on holiday, or to weddings and funerals etc.

The war on plastic meanwhile seems to be slowly getting people on board largely because the approach is better, like that article says it focuses on a positive thing we can all do to improve things. Many big organisations are changing their ways and on an individual level people are changing their habits too.

They've targeted banks that invest in big polluters, things like that would be a better focus as would protesting at the Chinese embassy. Getting arrested going after such targets would help their martyr wish in a way disrupting normal people's lives doesn't. Punch up, not down.

OP
OP

Deleted member 11113

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can the defeatists in this thread just please scuttle off somewhere? You're not helping. I know you don't think anything can help, but what purpose do you have for coming in here and shitting up the thread?

Thanks for the OP, just signed up for my local chapter.
Fantastic!
Is this supposed to be within the framework of existing public institutions or is this a parallel government/parliament kind of a deal?
XR wants the government to be led by citizens' assemblies on climate change, meaning a random but representative sortition of people (sort of like a jury) meet over a prolonged period of time guided by experts. It's more complicated, though, and you can read more here: https://rebellion.earth/the-truth/demands/ But it gets around the issue of politicians making decisions (wanting to be re-elected, being beholden to a certain group, lobbying etc).
I'm in, how do I help?
Check out the links in the OP and sign up for your local chapter. Or get in touch if you want more help!
It has to go beyond blocking the roads. I'm talking occupying power plants and stations, tearing up fossil fuel infrastructure when possible, blocking border checkpoints, and anything that is essential to the economy.
I agree, and the movement might escalate if necessary and possible.
What's the aim of the disruption? Like, you disrupt until '________'. Talking specifics because if you disrupt persistently every day, effectively, I'm wondering what the resolution would be to desist.
XR will keep disrupting until demands are met, but obviously you cannot hold a bridge forever. But we can try to escalate and do more and more disruptive actions.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
XR wants the government to be led by citizens' assemblies on climate change, meaning a random but representative sortition of people (sort of like a jury) meet over a prolonged period of time guided by experts. It's more complicated, though, and you can read more here: https://rebellion.earth/the-truth/demands/ But it gets around the issue of politicians making decisions (wanting to be re-elected, being beholden to a certain group, lobbying etc).
I don't see how this is better than putting up their own political candidates that actually care about the cause, at least in places with proportionally elected parliaments. If enough people care about it they'll get enough power to make a change, lobbyists or no.

OP
OP

Deleted member 11113

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OP
OP

Deleted member 11113

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see how this is better than putting up their own political candidates that actually care about the cause, at least in places with proportionally elected parliaments. If enough people care about it they'll get enough power to make a change, lobbyists or no.
Fair enough. I think the danger there is that that method has already been tried, and we already have green parties in many countries which still aren't acting fast enough.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Fair enough. I think the danger there is that that method has already been tried, and we already have green parties in many countries which still aren't acting fast enough.
I don't think there's enough support for acting fast enough at the moment. They need to focus on convincing enough of the population, it's not going to work otherwise anyway.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Most of us in the know deep down knows that things will go on as usual and death tolls due to various climate related activities will rise and we will "react" accordingly as the species always has.

I am not worried about our species; we may burrow holes and survive somehow. I am worried about the illusion that everyone (at least in most of the western world) thinks they have "rights" (well mostly straight white folks). Point is, as current society collapses in on itself in the coming decade, many of said 'norms' will be eroded away. I am afraid the inevitable disillusionment will break a lot of vulnerable people.

Krabardaf

Jun 12, 2019
Nice OP, I have links with XR Japan and might throw some kind of party to raise awareness. Confrontation here is a big no, especially for foreigners.

I think there's a big mediatic war to win, and that science, dialogue and politics should be at the forefront. Fake news and the denial-sphere are stronger than ever and are fueled by alarmism, even though the latter is perfectly justified. On top of denial there's also ignorance, people just hear how bad it is, but many are still clueless what happens and how big it is. They don't understand why, and this leaves the door to conspiracies and pseudo science. I'd love to see more facts and less "you are already dead".

I totally support civil disobedience, but would also like it to be targeted at the worst offenders : some corporations and most governments. People in denial or ignorant should be welcomed; actions against them directly will worsen their opinions IMO.

Also all for optimism, it will always be better now than later and it's easier to get people on board that way. However I still struggle with this because quite frankly we're quite fucked already.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Sounds like an amazing movement. This is honestly the first time I'm hearing about them. Thanks OP!

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
What's the point? We're all gonna die anyways ._.
Fuck this mentality. We shouldnt just sit back and accept an inevitable. Inaction is actually a form of negative action. By doing nothing we are creating a self fulfilling prophecy. We have done nothing for years, so now we should actually do something, anything for the least fucked future.

Last edited: