• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
I've always viewed Superman as a sort of litmus test highlighting just how creatively stunted and tunnel visioned the mainstream gaming industry is when it comes to game design and the capacity for thinking outside the box. Everyone's knee-jerk reaction is to just awkwardly try and shoehorn the character into the comfort zone of a standard third person action game template.

If the rumors were true, I'm sure Rocksteady have internally pitched at least a couple of interesting ideas for the direction to take a Superman game, but they were all shot down in the early conceptual/prototype stages because higher ups get cold feet from how unconventional the approach would be.

Saikyo

Oct 25, 2017
Man just make him be in a virtual city with kryptonite fog and fly a bunch of circles in the air, done;

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020

Go the Superman The Animated Series route. It's an amazing show and Superman was defeatable as hell in it.
This. "Superman is too overpowered" is another one of those self-fulfilling prophecies. People keep saying he is, so that becomes accepted knowledge, even when it's demonstrably untrue.

Superman doesn't have to be an unstoppable, all-powerful god-like figure to still be Superman.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
No offense at all, but flying around is the easiest part of making a Superman game. Its making an actual game around his entire powerset (without nerfs) that it becomes a logistical fucking nightmare. Youd be much better off making a Superboy game cause then at least you have reasons to limit some gameplay.

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
One route to take would be the Metroidvania sequel method, where Alucard and Samus lose all their abilities early on. It wouldn't be hard to engineer a plot device for that - maybe he gets amnesia, or maybe a magic user puts a curse on him. So then part of the gameplay loop becomes rediscovering your abilities.

You could also borrow a page from Telltale Games and give players frequent choices that don't have clear correct answers.

You could also just say screw all of that and make the entire game take place on Apokolips, where Superman can go ham.

There are lots of ways you could approach a Superman game

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a game designer, but I don't think it's difficult to, at least mechanically, make a Superman game. With modern mechanics, it could be absolutely incredible. It's a lack of will to do so that is the problem.

I could be wrong but I reckon publishers and marketing think it's a difficult sell, primarily because there's this widespread notion that Superman is boring, so they won't front the cash.

They're definitely wrong about Superman bing boring, but I think Clark's general lack of cynicism is viewed with distrust and could be considered hokey by some; mostly idiots... some in this very thread! That's part of the reason why most recent iterations of Superman-esque characters make him - YAWN - evil; no one believes someone with that kind of power could be good.

We could really do with a Richard Donner style idealist Superman entrenched in a deeply cynical world. It might actually have something interesting to say.

Anyway, I want a Yako Taro directed Superman game.

Last edited:

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
One route to take would be the Metroidvania sequel method, where Alucard and Samus lose all their abilities early on. It wouldn't be hard to engineer a plot device for that - maybe he gets amnesia, or maybe a magic user puts a curse on him. So then part of the gameplay loop becomes rediscovering your abilities.
I know this is one of the popular ideas for a Superman game, but I would argue that the opposite would be far more interesting.

Make Superman have all of his powers from the start. Make him completely invincible in an open world. Then, gradually, start taking his powers away. Everything will start to become way harder than it was at the start, and you'd have to think a bit harder about how to solve certain situations. In addition, it would also be a good opportunity to explore Supes as a character and show that it's not the powers that make him who he is, and that he's willing to help people no matter what.

I actually think there was a comic storyline like this. Might be wrong.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I actually do think the basic mechanics would be tough.

What's the last good game you played with a character that can fly at will? There's been a dozen DBZ games but they are mostly pretty janky still. Getting that flying feeling right with the basic mechanics is gonna be needed, otherwise it'll probably be Batman Arkham, except you're hovering slightly over the ground.

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
Ludonarrative Dissonance: The Thread.

(Just don't make it a Superman game. In fact an open world super-person title where your actions determine whether you're hero or villain sounds badass).

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
The problem with a Superman game will forever be that most people simply don't know enough about Superman past a surface level that you will never appease most people who play it.

A chunk of people will expect the ability to do all the stuff in the OP willy nilly, and think it's dumb if you can't - regardless of moral reasons or experience reasons.

Another chunk of people will be completely surprised that Superman has plenty of enemies in his rogues gallery that can fuck him up and don't need you to nerf him and still be comic accurate.

Another chunk of people will find it completely boring if you make it a moral quandary over how Superman can't be in 2 places at once...even though that's a relatively common issue he has had. He can't save everyone.

You'd have a far easier time making a Flash game, which would still have ridiculously cool powers and Barry Allen is stupid enough that him getting beat half the time still makes sense.

Jan 27, 2019
I think my problem with WB isn't just that they can't get a Superman game out. It's that to my knowledge there's no Wonder Woman game in the works either. Or an Aquaman game. Or a Shazam game. Like, there's so many games they COULD do and all we get is Batman over and over again. Gotham Knights is awesome because I love those characters, but...make some other stuff.

Exactly, I've already thought of genres each can fit into.

Green Lantern - JRPG/Action RPG
Wonder Woman - God Of War mixed with BOTW
Aquaman - TRPG or Xcom Style
Cyborg - First Person Shooter (Basically Metroid Prime)
The flash - Probably most difficult, maybe something like Sonic Adventure?

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There are plenty of aliens tougher or as tough as superman, just make them the main baddies, its not hard, its not rocket science

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018

I really don't see a Cyborg, Aquaman or Flash game selling all that well. Unless its maybe a $20-30 smaller game.

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
No offense at all, but flying around is the easiest part of making a Superman game. Its making an actual game around his entire powerset (without nerfs) that it becomes a logistical fucking nightmare. Youd be much better off making a Superboy game cause then at least you have reasons to limit some gameplay.
Superman returns on the Xbox 360 already did it!! Its not that hard. He had every possible power from flight to superspeed! Melee combat as well and a story line.

Last edited:

Iacomus

Dec 26, 2018

I really don't see a Cyborg, Aquaman or Flash game selling all that well. Unless its maybe a $20-30 smaller game.

Flash had a game in development but was cancelled looked to be good (at PS2 era standards)

Additionally Saints Row 4 showed that super speed was actually fun and doable.

orava

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 10, 2019
This is basically just moving the camera over the map. Not really impressive at all.

Also, Megaton Rainfall.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Yup this, Superman is basically a God, it's impossible to bring interesting stuff with this kind of guy, it's a shame but we can't do anything about it
Superman gets the crap beat out of him all the time. Bullet may not not hurt him, but pretty everything else does. He's only invincible when the plot needs him to be. Otherwise, he's get bloody, bruised, tattered, exhausted, and killed by non-Kryptonite bad guys

Like ideally, you could use his increasingly destroyed suit and bloodied body as a diegetic health meter, like how Batman's cape in the Arkham games gets more tattered

supes-ww.jpg

Action-Comics-1027-cover-Romita.jpg

13b60e6e89343bc31dbd9f49b3e91e70.jpg

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
The problem with a Superman game will forever be that most people simply don't know enough about Superman past a surface level that you will never appease most people who play it.

A chunk of people will expect the ability to do all the stuff in the OP willy nilly, and think it's dumb if you can't - regardless of moral reasons or experience reasons.

Another chunk of people will be completely surprised that Superman has plenty of enemies in his rogues gallery that can fuck him up and don't need you to nerf him and still be comic accurate.

Another chunk of people will find it completely boring if you make it a moral quandary over how Superman can't be in 2 places at once...even though that's a relatively common issue he has had. He can't save everyone.

You'd have a far easier time making a Flash game, which would still have ridiculously cool powers and Barry Allen is stupid enough that him getting beat half the time still makes sense.
I feel this is the same line of thinking that's currently messing up the character in film. People think they don't like Superman because they don't really know enough about him or why he's cool. But instead of showing people why he's a cool character, they instead try to change the character into something else that they think will have a greater appeal.

Superman is a bright, colourful, fun character with a rich pop mythology, a dynamic supporting cast and a good rogues gallery. There's no need to reinvent the wheel. Just dig into the things that made the character popular to begin with, and people will respond to that.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
You didn't show me a game, you showed me a physical engine.
I don't think a Superman game should be a clone of Just Cause.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Personally IMO a Superman game needs to have more focus than wreck everything. Sure that's what he does but the guy isn't constantly like that in every single panel. He's got control over his powers so with that said let him show control. It would be interesting having a game where Superman is beating up dudes and actively trying to not fuck up Metropolis. Say the city is already going through hard times, like super rough times and Supes is balancing between wrecking these baddies and trying to not fuck up the surrounding area all while trying to keep his identity hidden.

Of course at the end of the game he'd go all out but prior to that he's smart.

A lot of these games and ideas have him going crazy from the jump when the reality is nah, he's experienced. We gotta see that experience.

Jon_Sama

Aug 19, 2018
Is there a footage of destruction in a rendered world? the clips in OP only show one or the other, have to wonder how it runs when combined..

ElMexiMerican

Oct 25, 2017
Personally IMO a Superman game needs to have more focus than wreck everything. Sure that's what he does but the guy isn't constantly like that in every single panel. He's got control over his powers so with that said let him show control. It would be interesting having a game where Superman is beating up dudes and actively trying to not fuck up Metropolis. Say the city is already going through hard times, like super rough times and Supes is balancing between wrecking these baddies and trying to not fuck up the surrounding area all while trying to keep his identity hidden.

Of course at the end of the game he'd go all out but prior to that he's smart.

A lot of these games and ideas have him going crazy from the jump when the reality is nah, he's experienced. We gotta see that experience.
This is what I was thinking for a game too. Why can't the mechanic be to try and defeat bad guys while trying not to cause casualties? The gameplay would likely be more puzzle-like than Batman or Spider-Man. Not every superhero game has to be focused on combat.

Barkspawn

Oct 27, 2017
To avoid nerfing, maybe they could make it an alternate timeline where some Kryptonians survived and are invading earth. Or maybe that's the Dragon Ball Z fan in me talking...

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
This is what I was thinking for a game too. Why can't the mechanic be to try and defeat bad guys while trying not to cause casualties? The gameplay would likely be more puzzle-like than Batman or Spider-Man. Not every superhero game has to be focused on combat.
Yeah that's what I'm thinking too. It would be unique and it would allow the devs to think out of the box.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Superman returns on the Xbox 360 already did it!! Its not that hard. He had every possible power from flight to superspeed! Melee combat as well and a story line.

Yeah I remember it well, that game was fucking awful and the implementation was pretty subpar, even by EA's admission (I have talked to several devs from my days at EA)

Combining all the powers in a way that makes for compelling, sustained gameplay is what makes this so damn hard

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
On the point of morality: Superman + Karma system is what I'd prefer. Let the player decide and the game can adjust accordingly. We have Infamous as a good template on how that might work... It's not like WB hasn't made bank off the concept of an evil Supes.

As to the question of challenging gameplay: there are enough rogues in his gallery that can kick his butt. I don't see the issue there. He isn't exactly immortal. Even humans + kryptonite can bring him down.

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
Yeah I remember it well, that game was fucking awful and the implementation was pretty subpar, even by EA's admission (I have talked to several devs from my days at EA)

Combining all the powers in a way that makes for compelling, sustained gameplay is what makes this so damn hard
Could you tell me what you found awful about its implementation? I've only seen reviews of it so I'm going to play it and see what they got right and got wrong. The thing I hear the most from reviews about it was it lacked a story(no clear linear progression) and was very repetitive. A final boss fight of a tornado as well which was disappointing. Otherwise I'm going to play just to run around at superspeed or fly through metropolis.

buttzilla

Sep 9, 2020
Could you tell me what you found awful about its implementation? I've only seen reviews of it so I'm going to play it and see what they got right and got wrong. The thing I hear the most from reviews about it was it lacked a story(no clear linear progression) and was very repetitive. A final boss fight of a tornado as well which was disappointing. Otherwise I'm going to play just to run around at superspeed or fly through metropolis.
Flying was the best part of that game. I spent hours on the demo solely breaking through the sound barrier.

More games need a sound barrier to break.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
Just have the game be based around Superman discovering his powers or gradually getting them back after getting majorly nerfed for some reason.

Pretty tried and true video game progression there, and then it's fun at the end of the game to just wreck the street-level villains who were giving you trouble at the beginning.

OP
OP
est1992

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
That's the thing, Superman and Superboy have the exact same power set. The problem is that people think Superman needs to being able to destroy entire cities or fly across the world, but that just isn't true.

Superman The Animated Series has the perfect template for a Superman with a reasonable power set, while also being able to give a person the full experience of being Superman.

It's like in the Batman games, that Batman is remarkably weak compared to his comic counterparts. What makes it still feel like Batman is that Rocksteady gave you just enough without compromising. A Superman and can be the same.

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
Superman gets the crap beat out of him all the time. Bullet may not not hurt him, but pretty everything else does. He's only invincible when the plot needs him to be. Otherwise, he's get bloody, bruised, tattered, exhausted, and killed by non-Kryptonite bad guys

Like ideally, you could use his increasingly destroyed suit and bloodied body as a diegetic health meter, like how Batman's cape in the Arkham games gets more tattered

supes-ww.jpg

Action-Comics-1027-cover-Romita.jpg

13b60e6e89343bc31dbd9f49b3e91e70.jpg
Imagine a predator vs superman level. Thats like the only time I would be okay to see Kryptonite in a Superman game

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
A movie's success will not necessarily correlate to a Video Game success. Look no further than the Avengers game from like 3 months ago.

Avengers was one of the five most anticipated games of the generation...until it's E3 reveal. They blew it because the game didn't look good to most people. If you blow your reveal, it doesn't matter what franchise you have. People legitimately thought the game was on rails because it's opening stage plays so differently to the remainder of the game.

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
This has likely been mentioned, but the EA Superman Returns had the right idea in theory (it's not about how much can Superman take, it's how much can the things he serves to protect take). I picture it being more based around how you tackle small and large missions and how much destruction and harm is caused by your actions.

The problem of course then is why have all these destructive powers if you can't fully utilise them.

Everyone expects an open-world, but to start I'd imagine Reverse-"Blast Corps". (a mission-based affait where Supes has to complete a task while doing a minimum amount of collateral damage). Another option is indeed some sort of "Hero" level, based on how much you hold yourself back to save the day without creating more problems for others (if you tend to create a lot of collateral damage, you would have more forces on Earth working to stop you, not just the likes of Luthor)

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like it's time to polish this off

A pitch for a Superman action game

Story:

We're dealing with a Superman that has already been established and has made strides in his career. Lois knows who he is and they're engaged by this point. The first "mission" should be an establishing day in the life that walks the player through the systems and game world. It should all be very relaxed.

The suddenly, boom Doomsday attacks. That's your intro to the combat system in a big spectacle boss fight right out of the gate. At the end of the fight you beat Doomsday down, but Superman "dies" in the process. The Death of Superman is the first level of the game.

Cut to a year later, and Superman wakes up in a Metropolis he doesn't recognize. Powerful Supervillains have sectioned off corners of the city, and everyone not caught up in one of those corners have been pushed into a quarantined area under martial law. It's now up to you as Superman to return and inspire the people of Metropolis to restore their city to what it once was.

The game will be a mix of a character action game and a puzzle/minigame collection. You have a variety of enemies you fight beat em up style with a variety of moves, as well as a collection of timed disasters/catastrophes in the form of minigames and puzzles. For example you rescue a plane from falling by grabbing certain points and carefully balancing it into place
9NDTrLM.gif

These can range from burning building, hostage situations, suicide attempts, the list goes on. These don't have to all be catastrophes however. Maybe there's a side mission where Superman visits the cancer ward in a hospital and fulfills requests like mock battles from children
Heavy-Rain-PC-sword-fight.jpg

Completing certain objectives and certain catastrophes will net you experience, give you access to special items that can buff superman's stats, and unlock costumes

You go through the game taking on missions designed for each section of the city, done in a non linear fashion. Each section will be themed after the boss of the section, and the missions will be designed to prepare Superman for any of the dangers before heading in (ex a section covered in kryptonite or completely electric) Not only would you take them on as Superman but also return as Clark Kent, interviewing people and finding clues L.A Noire style with the addition of your superpowers (listen to a heartbeat to see if they're lying, etc)

How should Superman play:

Unlike Batman or Spider-Man, Superman should not play like a super dodgy counter character. He should be aggressive and tanky, with a focus on charge attacks, parry moves, grabs, and crowd control. More Devil May cry than Arkham.

Superman has one attack button, which you use to perform a variety of combos. You will vary up these combos in three ways by attacking with an analog stick motion (Attack + analog stick forward for example), timing the button press (attack button, attack button, pause, attack button for example), and by charging by holding the button and every attack can be charged, unlocking new combos are accessed by charging certain parts of the combo string (attack, attack, HOLD attack for example)

He has a superpower button where you cycle between your heat vision and super breath with a trigger. Like your attack button your superpower button can be charged up to three levels for different properties.

For Example:
  • Heat vision level 1 is a quick standard zap, level 2 is a long beam, and level 3 is a long beam with an explosion at the end
  • Super breath level 1 is a low level pushback, level 2 pushes back more enemies and bigger foes, and level 3 is freeze breath
Naturally these level are unlocked. You can use directional inputs in combination with the power button to have extra effects like a sweeping effect for heat vision and sucking in with super breath in order to bring enemies closer.

Next up there's a grab button. Tapping the grab buttons sends Superman into a unique animation for each enemy type that deals damage ala Nero's Devil Bringer
latest

Holding the grab button holds on to the enemy. Can be done with a variety of environmental items like cars, lamposts etc that can be used as weapons or thrown like Prototype/Hulk Ultimate Destruction. Targeting an enemy and pressing grab will cause Superman to dash towards the enemy and grab him, although an enemy can counter this.

You have a jump button, used to give you access to air combos and initiate flight mode by pressing the jump button twice (see below for details). Targeting an enemy and pressing jump once will cause Superman to quickly teleport in that direction in a blue and red smear.
superman_versus_vs_elite_2012_mean_black_eye_speed.gif

Holding the jump button will cause Superman to launch from the ground high into the air into flight mode. Will have a small AOE attack upon launch.

You will be a guard button, holding it keeps you stationary but Superman won't take any damage and instead it will take from his concentration meter (see below for details). Eventually, the guard will break however and you will be staggered back. However, timing the guard around the same time as an attack will initiate a parry, that won't take from your concentration and can be upgraded to include staggering properties.

What is the concentration meter? A concept I'm borrowing from DMC4 that I think could be very useful for Superman.

Next to his life bar there's a Superman logo that looks like this:
0c246ecabb491b7646d3272ec70560f6.png
and as you successfully land attacks, don't get hit, and keep close to enemies, the black areas fill up with yellow, increasing the power of your attacks at different levels but depleting if you get hit, miss attacks, or run around without hitting anyone it depletes. Filling this meter up has a variety of affects, such as increasing the power of you attacks, speeding up your power move charge, giving you access to an extra charge on attack combos, and multi hit properties on certain moves.

The concentration meter can also give you access to "super effects" on the third level of the meter that give you a huge advantage but at the cost of "locking" the meter for a certain amount of time. These include:
  • Press a button when the meter is full to enter A "Supermode" where superman cannot be staggered or knocked down and has all the passive effects of the concentration meter without requirements like don't miss attacks or get hit.
  • Press a button + power button to unleash a huge AOE heat vision of freeze breath attack
    tumblr_n39lqygIkg1rgn3nyo1_400.gif
  • Press a button + attack button to unleash a stopping move that transitions into a powerful, life eating uppercut:
    latest
  • Press a button + jump to effectively slow time for a few seconds. You move normally but everyone else is slowed down to a crawl
    ChiefIlliterateArawana-size_restricted.gif
    WXzOvGF.gif
You have the option of using X-Ray vision to spot enemy weakpoints or find extra objectives/citizens in danger.

Pressing jump twice gives you access to flight mode, which is where you will be deaing with flying enemies and following up on air combos. This is characterized by Superman hovering off the ground a few feet instead of standing. Your main strategy for this mode is directional control. Combos will launch enemies in different directions, and you as Superman instantly follow up to punishing damage.

So for example a standard three hit combo in flight mode will send enemies flying straight away from you, opening the possibility that they slam into buildings for extra damage or follow up with flying punches to send them back further
729sen.gif

Moving an analog stick up or down with an attack will send the enemy flying up or down. You also have access to air grabs. Other actions in flight mode include side to side evasive teleporting:
latest
, as well as a instant teleport forward:
subweapons_z_shift_anime.gif
and an afterimage to distract enemies:
subweapons_decoy_anime.gif

Basically, Devil May Cry/Hulk Ultimate Destruction on the ground, Zone of the Enders 2 in the air

Enemies:

The standard enemy types should be a variety of themed groups/gangs that are made up of weaker support enemies that go down easy but exist for balance and support for a miniboss type that is more challenging for the player.

Some ideas include:
  • Intergang, a crime syndicate responsible for the smaller scale crimes.They're equipped with weaponry from Apokolips and power suits that can at least be a bit tougher to deal. They will gang up and spring traps on Superman like red solar light emitters and energy barriers.
  • Mass produced Amazo clones. Amazo is an android in DC comics capable of replicating any ability it sees. In a Superman game you would need to defeat them before they finish scanning you, as they slowly can access to your powers the longer you fight them. You could even fight "premade Amazos" they come with references to other DC heroes
  • Metallo bots. Metallo would be a boss in the game and have a standard enemy type of robots equipped with various forms of kryptonite that hve different effects based on how long you are in rage. Green drains your health, red scrambles your control scheme, silver causes visual hallucinations, and gold will lock abilities. You have to stay out of range and destroy the robots before they cause too much trouble. It is possible to receive an anti kryptonite suit in a side mission that acts as a second lifebar that nullifies all effects unless you take too much damage
  • Doomsday cult. After the fight with Doomsday there was a gang that started worshiping Doomsday as a god, and developed a formula that can transform them into powerful doomsday clones unless beaten quickly
Boss ideas:
  • Doomsday. Big Brawler with readable attacks
  • Metallo. Has access to all Kryptonite effects. Can absorb surrounding materials to become larger or craft attachments like a laser gun or spears. Can use an anti kryptonite suit to nullify effects.
  • Parasite. Has command grabs that absorb and replicate your abilities. The boss battle starts with him surprising superman and having all his abilities. Have to whittle him down and avoid his grabs to keep him from reabsorbing your powers.
  • Livewire: Always fun to fight an electric themed boss.
(These won't be all the bosses, just some off the top of my head)

Extra costumes:
Gj5whINAAguulFs5GSQneS-WC-37fWcCgL61-XHgUcw.jpg

^ This list is pretty damn good.

So yeah. Is this the ideal, must be followed secret formula for a Superman game? Maybe not, but it's what I came up with. It took me a long ass time to write so hey, give me your thoughts.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Sorry, but the real issue that still hasn't been solved is designing a compelling game around doing these things. No one has really solved that yet.

OP
OP
est1992

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
This has likely been mentioned, but the EA Superman Returns had the right idea in theory (it's not about how much can Superman take, it's how much can the things he serves to protect take). I picture it being more based around how you tackle small and large missions and how much destruction and harm is caused by your actions.

The problem of course then is why have all these destructive powers if you can't fully utilise them.

Everyone expects an open-world, but to start I'd imagine Reverse-"Blast Corps". (a mission-based affait where Supes has to complete a task while doing a minimum amount of collateral damage). Another option is indeed some sort of "Hero" level, based on how much you hold yourself back to save the day without creating more problems for others (if you tend to create a lot of collateral damage, you would have more forces on Earth working to stop you, not just the likes of Luthor)
The problem with this is that the entire game becomes an escort mission. Superman can be killed, just give him a health bar. Nobody cares about Kratos having one.
Sorry, but the real issue that still hasn't been solved is designing a compelling game around doing these things. No one has really solved that yet.
It's just like any superhero game lol beat up some bad guys and solve puzzles using your powers. That's literally it.