• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

M4xim1l1ano

Oct 29, 2017
Santiago, Stockholm, Vienna
Good interview with Phil Spencer over at The Verge/Decoder

To be honest, I love the industry I'm in. This is the job I love. My wife will tell me it's the only job I'm qualified for, but this is definitely the job I love. But that tribalism in the industry, if there was anything that would ever drive me out of the industry, it's actually that, what you're talking about.

I look at shipping a product, shipping a game, as one of the bravest things a team can do. You put your product out there, it gets analyzed and prodded and reviewed. It can't defend itself. It's an inanimate object. You can't go on the internet and defend it. We've seen that way too many times. That never works.

When a team releases something into the market for the world to tear it apart on the internet — it's just such a brave thing for a team to do. I'm never going to vote against any creative team or any product team to do poorly because I have a competitive product. It's not in me. I don't actually think it helps us in the long run in the industry.

But especially in the console space, there's like a core of the core, that have, I think, taken it to a destructive level of, "I really want that to fail so the thing that I bought succeeds." I'm saying on both sides. I'm not saying that it's all people crushing Xboxes and everybody that loves Xbox is always completely inviting to all the PlayStation stuff. I've said before, that I find it distasteful, but maybe that is too light. I just really despise it. I don't think we have to see others fail in order for us to achieve the goals. That's not some kind of "kumbaya" thing. It's actually real. We're in the entertainment business. The biggest competitor we have is apathy over the products and services [and] games that we build.

The rest can be found here:
www.theverge.com

Microsoft’s Phil Spencer on launching the new Xbox and the future of games

The head of Xbox talks about the latest console launch.

EDiT:
Because some people complained about the click bait headline, can it be changed by me (on phone) or is this a mod thing?

Last edited:

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Maybe he and his fellow executives shouldn't get friendly with toxic fans on twitter. Maybe they shouldn't cave to toxic Brazilian xbox twitter by allowing an harassed women to be let go. Practice what you preach.

Narpas Sword0

Oct 28, 2017
Are we doing clickbait thread titles here now

Put what "it" is in the title, you're nowhere near the character limit

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
100% agree and appreciate the transparency of his stance.

I'll always have a soft spot for Nintendo because they were my childhood, but nevertheless I'm always excited for all the new consoles and all the exclusives, regardless of platform.

It isn't PSX vs XB - it's PS *and* XB *and* Nintendo versus all other forms of entertainment and versus apathy or disdain for their particular type of entertainment.

Sep 7, 2020
yeah, its quite ridiculous to believe that in order for your investment in a particular plastic box needs to be justified, you need to constantly crap on the choice of other's investment in another piece of plastic. Gamers win when we have more options to play.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Unfortunately, marketing campaigns over the years, and still ongoing, have absolutely no intention of letting this change. It is all about building that linked identity to the brand. Love the brand, want the brand, defend the brand.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
there's a part of me that says, this is the last generation of hardcore game consoles that you're going to buy at this moment, and the future is streaming games over the internet to all kinds of devices in your house.

Do you think that shift to game streaming will be the inflection point? Do you think that these are the last big pieces of hardware you're going to ship?
Why every generation people want or expect the ''standard'' console gaming to ''die''
EDIT: This is from the interviewer btw, even Phil says that they will probably do another Hardware based console generation.

Catvoca

Oct 25, 2017
User warned: Console warring, trolling
Phil crushing all those toxic PlayStation fanboys 😂 Xbox stays winning the console wars 👑

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
Maybe he and his fellow executives shouldn't get friendly with toxic fans on twitter. Maybe they shouldn't cave to toxic Brazilian xbox twitter by allowing an harassed women to be let go. Practice what you preach.

This x 1000, if you really believe in this then stop interacting with Dealer and the like.

mausterhunter

Feb 1, 2019
Very well said. Please include it as a letter wrapped around every new Xbox, so it'll have a chance to sink in with the fanbase.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
You just have to take one look at the replies to any one of his tweets to know what he's talking about. I don't know why people have to be so vicious about games
This place can be bad at times but have you seen the replies on any tweet PlayStation, Xbox or any or their execs do? Pure garbage.
Beat me by seconds. Twitter is a mistake

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I agree with that message ..yet aren't they catering and teaming up with the worst kind of fanboys in markets like brazil ?

Either way I appreciate this kind of talk, especially once they are the top again. You sadly only hear this kind of talk when a company has ground to make up for.

Zinski

Banned
Nov 13, 2020
A lot of the gamers are young. So I give the wider console wars nonsense a bit of a pass.

I find it more surprising here on reset. People will get quite annoyed or irritated quickly, and sometimes get a bit personal and arsey when there really isnt any need. Time and again it happens, and I for some reason am always surprised.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Why every generation people want or expect the ''standard'' console gaming to ''die''
EDIT: This is from the interviewer btw, even Phil says that they will probably do another Hardware based console generation.
Same people that thought in the 80s that we'd be in a world like 2077 lol. consoles aren't going anywhere for decades there will be options definitely but until humanity actually can overcome the speed of light local processing is always superior.

Deleted member 48991

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
I really like Theodore Roosevelt's words on this:

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

www.mentalfloss.com

Roosevelt's "The Man in the Arena"

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better."

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
well said. it all makes gaming much worse, both as a hobby for gamers and as an industry for the people making the games.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich

Yep, if these were isolated incidents you could give them the benefit of the doubt, but a lot of execs and Xbox PR have entertained some of the more toxic fanboys for years now.

I don't get why, it's a bad look.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Note to myself: Pls do yourself a favor and ignore obvious fanboys - your mood will thank you for it.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe you should stop courting people like timdog, colteastwood and dealer then Phil, did you think of that?

You can't complain about toxic tribalism and yet continue to give attention to these people. This is pure hypocrisy.

methane47

Oct 28, 2017
Wasn't Phil unfairly critical of VR gaming last year or something>? saying something like <i dont like it, and no body wants it?> ?

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
I can imagine fanboys ruining a lot, but he's been in the industry long enough to know better.

But this part...
When a team releases something into the market for the world to tear it apart on the internet — it's just such a brave thing for a team to do.
EUnkirfVAAElZlF

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Checking Replies on Twitter to anything Digital Foundry puts out right now is a fucking hellscape. There are countless, COUNTLESS accounts and personalities with only a single goal: Tearing the other product and its fans down no matter what, in the most toxic way possible. It's incredibly bad. So good on him for wording it this strongly.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
A lot of the gamers are young. So I give the wider console wars nonsense a bit of a pass.

I find it more surprising here on reset. People will get quite annoyed or irritated quickly, and sometimes get a bit personal and arsey when there really isnt any need. Time and again it happens, and I for some reason am always surprised.
Yeah, when I see console war comments on YouTube or Twitter, I assume the user is an angsty teenager (or even younger). But on ResetEra, I know we skew older so warring is more embarrassing.

Status
Not open for further replies.