• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you Time Travel in Animal Crossing?

• Yes

Votes: 186 12.6%
  • No

Votes: 1,293 87.4%

• Total voters
Dec 9, 2019
Why play an AC game at all if you don't like the main concept of the game? I love the fact that I can wake up and grab my Switch to see what's new in AC. Every day! For months or even years. What do you gain by time traveling? This game doesn't even have a proper ending.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I did, still didn't get enough iron, and only had enough miles for one ticket. This was also before I learned about the trick about digging a hole behind you to mine for iron at a rock.
Oh what trick was this?

But seriously, I couldn't imagine being only at what? Day 5 in game? I'm like at day 16. There is only so much you can do in the day and then you have to wait 24 hours real time? A game about collection and crafting that requires time to pass.

If there was no time travel I would have never picked up this game.

I don't play between 8-4:30 because I'm working. Time travel lets me play the game in actual day light outside of the weekends.

Oct 27, 2017
Right now I have almost every fruit on my island and things are moving along great. Maybe if the online component was not so wack I would have done it the more traditional way.
Not sure how the online component stopped you in any way. In fact, I ended up getting all the fruits fairly easily just trading with 2 of my friends and finding a mystery island

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Oh what trick was this?

But seriously, I couldn't imagine being only at what? Day 5 in game? I'm like at day 16. There is only so much you can do in the day and then you have to wait 24 hours real time? A game about collection and crafting that requires time to pass.

If there was no time travel I would have never picked up this game.

I don't play between 8-4:30 because I'm working. Time travel lets me play the game in actual day light outside of the weekends.
In every animal crossing game, if you digs holes behind you (or really place yourself between the rock and anything), your character won't get kicked back when hitting the rock and you'll be able to hit it more times quicker. Though New Horizons seems to have fixed the delay to the point that I haven't seen much of a benefit compared to just quickly walking up a spot after the kickback & immediately hitting the rock again. At this point I think creating a "barrier" of holes behind you just makes it easier to get the Max number of rock drops without mistakes.

Lbbaker

May 21, 2018
IMO, if you paid for the game and whatever you're doing isn't affecting other players in a negative way than you can play however the hell you want to play.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Not sure how the online component stopped you in any way. In fact, I ended up getting all the fruits fairly easily just trading with 2 of my friends and finding a mystery island
Because the online component in the game is horrible?

Nothing like the game pausing Everytime someone wants to land and nobody gets anything done as more visitors enter and the game constantly pauses / loading screens for another player to land.

Why sit through that when you can time travel, grind out nook tickets and island hop.

I couldn't imagine trying to grind out iron ores on a day to day basis. I went "days" in a two hour period where I only got like 5 in a hour. Now imagine that bad luck stretching over 5 days? That's not fun.

Making progress, unlocking buildings, getting new characters to the island and making actual progress is far more entertaining

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
In every animal crossing game, if you digs holes behind you (or really place yourself between the rock and anything), your character won't get kicked back when hitting the rock and you'll be able to hit it more times quicker. Though New Horizons seems to have fixed the delay to the point that I haven't seen much of a benefit compared to just quickly walking up a spot after the kickback & immediately hitting the rock again. At this point I think creating a "barrier" of holes behind you just makes it easier to get the Max number of rock drops without mistakes.
Oh wow....new leaf strategies are now flooding back into my memory lol.

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing like the game pausing Everytime someone wants to land and nobody gets anything done as more visitors enter and the game constantly pauses / loading screens for another player to land.
You can have the gate only open to some people or close it at any point to new people, even when people are on you island. Also doesn't changing the clock require you to restart the game? That process sounds slower

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
For me it is cheating
But I don't care about cheating in non competitive games so I won't judge who does that.

Mar 18, 2020
Why play an AC game at all if you don't like the main concept of the game? I love the fact that I can wake up and grab my Switch to see what's new in AC. Every day! For months or even years. What do you gain by time traveling? This game doesn't even have a proper ending.

FOMO coupled with the expectation that every game in a genre plays the same.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
I did at the beginning of NH because it really was fairly slow. But I have no reason anymore.

javiergame4

Oct 27, 2017
Only time cheated once for $99k. After that I'm good. Only prob saved me like 4 hrs of grind but after this I'm getting the $ solo

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
If anything they've encouraged time travelling by locking hoildays to patch-updates and snail's pace starting. I haven't TT'd, but don't knock those that do. Been playing the series vehemently since the original and you do you, y'all. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

I only ever TT for holidays if I was out the whole day living the real holiday, but i'd just rewind like 12 hours, then set it back to normal. AC is about chillin' and trillin' don't be sweating the small stuff like it's Stardew or some shit.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
I used to do it on GC when I was a kid. I stopped doing it though, that said considering I might miss turnip hours I may eventually go ahead/or back in time for the purpose of buying turnips (only once in case I miss it) but still, I try to be there when she show up.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
Nah, that'd ruin the fun for me. I am patient and love the slow pace.

Don't care what other people do as long as it doesn't affect anyone elses enjoyment of the game.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

In another shift, the developers sought to make time traveling (the controversial act of jumping into the past or future by tweaking the system clock, which some fans think is the wrong way to play) less impactful in terms of in-game features. Time traveling has been used as a shortcut in previous Animal Crossing games, so you don't have to wait overnight to see progress. Terraforming and crafting are gameplay systems that aren't tied to your system clock, so players can continue those activities into the long hours of the night.

Consequences for time travel still exist: turnips go rotten if you jump ahead to the following week. Time traveling is discouraged, but Kyogoku and Nogami don't consider it cheating.

"We think that in order for the players to play for a very long time, and also for players to share the experience with their friends or family, we do think that playing without traveling would probably be the ideal way," Nogami said.

even the devs don't care. i dont understand why this is such a make or break issue. if you feels like it ruins the fun, dont do it. some of us are fine with it or even find it fun. not everyone finds the slow, plodding nature of the game as inciting as you do and find time travel gives them more to do with their time.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
My wife and I took Monday off after the release, and our intention was to binge the game during the long weekend - we time traveled one day just to slightly speed up creation of the museum and early town setup. Now that we're back to work we've banned time travel.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, there isn't enough to do In the first couple days. I invited 3 people to my island so I had 4 days of nothingness

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
The only time manipulation thing I did was change my Switch's clock like 12 hours forward. I get home from work at 10pm and all the shops are closed by then.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
don't care what anyone else does in their own games but i will say specifically right in this moment of history i think that making animal crossing go faster is an odd choice. same with the tarantula stuff

Deleted member 283

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For me, I guess it really depends what exactly we're considering time traveling.

Because like, the main thing I would time travel for would be to unlock all the tools and stuff. Because for me, that's not what Animal Crossing is about.

For me, Animal Crossing is about developing my house/town/seeing how my town develops, seeing who moves in over time (like, the villagers, and since that can always change, with people coming and going, and there are plenty of villagers I have never seen or had, that itself isn't really affected my time traveling because it will take quite some time to exhaust that), filling up the museum (especially the fossils) and just relaxing while catching bugs, and especially fishing (I love fishing in Animal Crossing so much).

Unlocking the tools themselves to do all that is neither here nor there. So I have no problem time traveling several days into the future at the very least to fully unlock all the tools and NPCs and stuff to do all that.

'Cause that's the thing for me. Even once I unlock that stuff, that's just the beginning. Like, literally just the beginning. I still have to find the kinda furniture I want to actually put in my house.

I still have to actually make the designs and stuff that I want to actually put on custom stuff.

I still have to see who actually moves in, which villagers, and see what happens there.

And even once the town itself is "finished," just catching bugs and fish itself is something I can easily spend a few hours a day doing. Like, even once I "finished" a custom island in New Leaf for instance, fully decked out with palm trees and such, money aside, I still loved going there to catch bugs (and also, fish. <3 Animal Crossing fishing like I said) and beetles because that stuff is just outright fun.

And like, on top of that, on top of that, there's also how, like, tastes change over time.

For instance, when I played Animal Crossing: New Leaf my town name was "Ooo," named after Adventure Time, because I was very big into Adventure Time at the time. But I don't really care so much Adventure Time these days. So if I say still had my 3DS and New Leaf cart and could load it up, once of the first things I'd do would probably get rid of my Animal Crossing stuff and go with a new theme, and that itself is the type of thing that can also up the playtime even further. Just when I need a change, mixing it up like that.

Like, for instance. I don't have the money for a Switch and New Horizons right now as much as I would love to, but if that were to change or I were gifted it or something, this time I would probably do something much simpler and make a Pokémon themed house or something. And that way, when I need a change, it would be a simple matter of say getting rid of my custom art/designs and stuff, replacing one set of Pokémon and ideas and stuff with another, making it really straightforward to give the town a completely fresh feeling every now and then while maintaining the theme. Stuff like that can easily keep things going for quite a while even with time traveling. All kinds of ideas to mess around with and change and alternate between, limitless ideas.

Like just using Pokémon alone, there's so many different ideas I have for potential house/town themes:
-Like for instance, making everything themed around a particular type of Pokémon, like Fire-type or Water-type or Psychic-type or whatever. Since there's 18 different types and a lot of different Pokémon within each type, there's A LOT to do with just a type like that.
-But then there's other stuff you can do. Like forget about the Pokémon. What about the NPCs? Like, what about the Gym Leaders, for instance? Lots to do there, especially since there's like 8 different sets of Gym Leaders (technically slightly more if you include variants like Emerald and stuff), so there's that as well. Plus, like the Elite Four and stuff like Frontier Brains as well.
-Or forget about them. What about the evil teams? Like Team Rocket. And in particular, say, for instance, Team Rocket from the anime. Lots of stuff you could do with them by themselves, with just like Jessie and James and all their Pokémon across the various seasons. Lots to do there.
-Or even individual Pokémon for instance. Like, especially with certain Pokémon there's a lot of stuff you can do with just them by themselves. Like, obviously Pikachu would be one example. But like then you also have stuff like Squirtle for instance, with not just Ash's Squirtle, but also like the Squirtle Squad in general, with like May's Squirtle, Tierno's, Green's from the Pokemon Adventure/Special manga, and so forth. Or something like Ditto for instance. Like, go full Duplika with it. Like, the Pokémon Center website for instance, I'm not sure if they still have them, but at least they used to have a full line of Ditto-transformation plushies, with the dot-eyes and everything for a bunch of different ones (I know because I have one of them myself, the Trubbish-Ditto plushie).

Point being, Pokémon's just one idea, just one possible source of inspiration, and there's like a fuck ton of ideas for creativity and inspiration and constantly changing stuff up and keeping everything fresh there alone when one needs a change, nevermind anything else. Even with time travel, would take a ton of time to exhaust something like that, nevermind anything else on top of it. So many avenues for creativity there (and just thinking about this stuff is really, really making me wish I had the money for the game and a Switch, but alas).

And there's always more fishing and bug-catching to do. That's where the real relaxation and fun in Animal Crossing is for me.

Point being, there's easily hundreds of potential hours I can get out of each of those games. And speeding through the first few days just so I can get to what personally interests me about these games in the first place, have all the tools ready to go for the rest of those 100+ hours I'd be playing them does not ruin them in any way for me, no.

So nah, time travel, especially just in the early few days, doesn't ruin Animal Crossing for me, because the things I personally enjoy in it are things not affected my that in any way, really.

It's cool if people don't want to do it, or personally dislike it. That's very understandable. But there's also nothing at all wrong with it if that's what someone wants to do, and for someone like me, it doesn't ruin the game or defeat the point of the game, because it has nothing to do with what the point personally "is" for me anyway.

There just is no right or wrong way, or any of that for me when it comes to me. It's all just personal, and as long as people are enjoying it and having fun, that's what matters, and that's why I'm glad the games still allow time travel, so people can come to their own decisions on this. That's how I feel anyway.

Last edited:

Zaeia

Jan 3, 2018
I don't time travel, but I think the progressive play style (playing through a day and then going to the next) is ingenious. Now that we have moved on to a new game I am considering revisiting new leaf and playing though as such. I think the argument of TTing as cheating falls apart because people still have to do the work, especially with the new crafting system. I say people should play however they get enjoyment out of the game, and I hope no one feels judged less than for doing so.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
So far I really like the mechanic of it being tied to real time. Going to stick with it.

The Nightsky

Oct 27, 2017
Why sit through that when you can time travel, grind out nook tickets and island hop.

I couldn't imagine trying to grind out iron ores on a day to day basis. I went "days" in a two hour period where I only got like 5 in a hour. Now imagine that bad luck stretching over 5 days? That's not fun.

Making progress, unlocking buildings, getting new characters to the island and making actual progress is far more entertaining
I've played normally and never had the feeling I had to grind for anything. After 4 days of non-timetravel gaming, I have a stack of 30 iron ore in storage. My sister has been a bit unluckier with drops and hasn't maximized her returns from rocks, and the difference was basically that she needed to go on one extra island tour to get her materials for the shop.
It's fine if you want to unlock things faster, not wait for the next day for stuff to be built etc., but I think that's a playstyle that creates more of a grinding feel than what actually playing the game normally does.

Yes, there isn't enough to do In the first couple days. I invited 3 people to my island so I had 4 days of nothingness
What is nothingness in AC and what is "enough to do"?

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've played normally and never had the feeling I had to grind for anything. After 4 days of non-timetravel gaming, I have a stack of 30 iron ore in storage. My sister has been a bit unluckier with drops and hasn't maximized her returns from rocks, and the difference was basically that she needed to go on one extra island tour to get her materials for the shop.
It's fine if you want to unlock things faster, not wait for the next day for stuff to be built etc., but I think that's a playstyle that creates more of a grinding feel than what actually playing the game normally does.

What is nothingness in AC and what is "enough to do"?
I've been in lockdown so playing AC is all I really got right now. There isn't enough unique content for more than a couple hours at the start imo to keep me entertained so I time travel I'm only ahead a couple days

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I notice a lot of people care about their house. I don't. Mine is just storage. It has a bed you can't even sleep in. Hence you time travel.

if you do everything you want to do in a day....you what? Stop playing? I just dropped $65 on this game I'm going to keep going. Set the clock to all different hours of the day. I just got Isabelle, all is right in the world again.

Bookkoo

Apr 9, 2018
I notice a lot of people care about their house. I don't. Mine is just storage. It has a bed you can't even sleep in. Hence you time travel.

if you do everything you want to do in a day....you what? Stop playing? I just dropped $65 on this game I'm going to keep going. Set the clock to all different hours of the day. I just got Isabelle, all is right in the world again.

You are the worst.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany

This is what I personally do:
- daily cleanup of my island
- work towards goal as much as I can (currently collecting Iron)
- do the Nook Miles+ double rewards for the day (does this actually reset daily or more frequently?)
- do a bit of designing my house etc. (for example drew Vivi and Kain from FF)

And then I turn it off for the day.

Not judging you for doing it different (if you don't wanna wait then you shouldn't wait) but yeah that's about the appeal of the game for me. Nothing grindy, just a hour or so of pure chill.

Deleted member 283

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That's another thing, at least for me. Like, in addition to everything I said in my prior post, especially these days, I tend to only play one game at a time. Playing more than that just doesn't tend to work out for me.

That being the case, I don't really like games telling me I'm "done" for the day. I want to be the one who decides that, I know when I'm done for the day.

And like I said, I don't have New Horizons, but if it's anything like New Leaf, for me, once you unlock all the tools and abilities, including the ability to make bridges and stuff, I usually have enough stuff to do on any given day. But that's usually. Stuff can vary, and if I wind up wind more time when I'm "done" and I still feel like playing, I'm not going to stop just because the game is pushing in me in that direction. I decide that, not the game. And like before that point, before I have all the tools and customization options and stuff, it's definitely very easy to do everything I want to do very fast during those first few days (especially in New Horizon's case adding to this with not only having limited options at first like most AC games, but in addition to that one of the other things I like to do is catching fish and bugs when I have nothing else to do and that's great, but like in New Horizon's case, at first you naturally only have really wimpy fishing rods and bug nets and limited amounts of wood to remake that, which puts limits (even if they're kinda generous but still) on how much of that kinda stuff you can do at first as well, and so yeah, that both limits on what you can do even with stuff like that at first and just gives me more motivation to time-travel and blast-forward so I can start crafting more enhanced versions and worry about that kinda stuff less).

And like I said in my last post, I have lots of customization ideas and stuff to keep the game fresh for a while if I were to get it, but even if I were to blast through them super-fast by time traveling in say 20-30 hours or whatever, I incredibly doubt that, but even if that were what would happen... Well, that's still more than I play most games tbh, so even in that situation (which wouldn't be what would happen), but even if I were to "exhaust" all the content somehow anyway like that... Even in that situation, I still would have definitely felt I would have got my money's worth, so, like, whatever. That just doesn't bother me, at all, because even doing that, even in the worst case scenario for someone like me, I would still nonetheless end up playing it more than I do most games, so that's just fine, really.

But that's how I feel, in any case. That there's no right/wrong to play these games, and that's just what works for me, and is why time traveling doesn't bother me at all, whether I'm talking about myself or anyone else. It's all good, in my book.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I've done it in the previous games. But I'm taking it easy with this one. I found it's easy to burn myself out by trying to do too much at once with this game.

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
There are endless things you can do while you work towards daily progress milestones.

By day two (of realtime), the airport opens, the Nook multimedia vending machine is up and running (make sure you buy the pocket efficiency guide), and you're offered the Miles+ program, which lets you grind infinite Nook Miles through basic activities, affording you infinite plane tickets to resource-rich islands. (Yes, 30 iron ore in one day is a breeze.) You can also indefinitely dump anything you catch or forage literally anywhere on the island -- not just in your house. So you are not limited in terms of space.

I can understand the rationale in skipping that first day, but the idea is you spend the first day learning (or refreshing yourself on) the basic mechanics of the game.

Meanwhile, by day four or five you're going to want basically tons of every material for various projects and goals, even if it seems like some materials are useless. So, keep grinding everything out. Wood, stone, clay, weeds, fruit, shells... and catch fish and bugs until you drop.

There's really no excuse to time skip unless you need to trade the game in before April or something.

If that's not enough for you to do, then you have serious problems far beyond Animal Crossing.
^EDIT: This was NOT meant to come across like a serious insult or insinuation of mental problems lol. I honestly apologize if it did. My dry humor seldom translates well to text.

Last edited:

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
Not my thing. It's my first Animal Crossing and I'd like to enjoy it without time travel, at least for the time being. Don't care about other people doing it though.

Different people have different ways to enjoy things. It's why speedrunner communities exist, I wouldn't have find playing games over and over finding ways to shave seconds off my play time fun but some do. I can see the appeal in being able to build up a town and get tons of decorations and clothes without waiting weeks/months for stores to slowly trickle in new things.

Jun 26, 2018
There are endless things you can do while you work towards daily progress milestones.

By day two (of realtime), the airport opens, the Nook multimedia vending machine is up and running (make sure you buy the pocket efficiency guide), and you're offered the Miles+ program, which lets you grind infinite Nook Miles through basic activities, affording you infinite plane tickets to resource-rich islands. (Yes, 30 iron ore in one day is a breeze.) You can also indefinitely dump anything you catch or forage literally anywhere on the island -- not just in your house. So you are not limited in terms of space.

I can understand the rationale in skipping that first day, but the idea is you spend the first day learning (or refreshing yourself on) the basic mechanics of the game.

Meanwhile, by day four or five you're going to want basically tons of every material for various projects and goals, even if it seems like some materials are useless. So, keep grinding everything out. Wood, stone, clay, weeds, fruit, shells... and catch fish and bugs until you drop.

There's really no excuse to time skip unless you need to trade the game in before April or something.

If that's not enough for you to do, then you have serious problems far beyond Animal Crossing.

Insinuating other people have mental problems if they don't play the game exactly like you do, classic!

Smh and I thought the discourse around Sekiro and difficulty was bad...

Last edited:

Deleted member 283

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's quite strange to me that both you and I do seem to agree on something, there's limitless things you can do in a game like Animal Crossing, especially with all the creative/QR code tools and the like once you unlock them, but come to two very, very different conclusions based on that.

Like, for me, like I said, if it's infinite... That's the thing, it's like, infinite. So why's it matter if they time travel or not? Not like they'll run out of things to do, since like you said, the possibilities are endless.

The only way I can fathom that mattering at all is the way most other people try to spin it in this thread, which is that by time traveling people are ruining it because that would make them run out of things to do. I don't agree with that, but I can at least see that point of view.

But you're trying to the opposite, that there's indeed infinite to do. So like... what's it matter even if someone does time travel, that they don't exhaust all there literally there is to do on a given day? Why would that matter, when there's infinite regardless? What's the big deal, regardless? Especially when it doesn't actually impact their personal experience and they're having fun regardless? What exactly is the problem, exactly?

Like, if someone doesn't want to do that, at all that's perfectly fine, nothing wrong with that at all. But I don't see the problem with doing it at all either.

And nothing calls for that last bolded sentence at all, in any case. Just let people play the game, their own unique ways. As long as everyone's having fun and not impacting anyone's else's experience, I can't imagine anything wrong with that, and it's definitely, definitely not cause to imply people have mental issues, just because they enjoy a game in a different way from you. That's completely uncalled for and unnecessary even putting everything else aside and I just don't even going anywhere near there, at all.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
First time playing an AC. I haven't time travelled. But I've thought about it because I've very very quickly reached points every day where there's nothing I want to do.

but yeah damn the some of the AC community here and in other places seems toxic as hell against people that want to play the game in a different way.

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
Insinuating other people have mental problems if they don't play the game exactly like you do, classic!
No. I wasn't insinuating that at all. I said: IF you run out of things to do on your first day of Animal Crossing, then you have a serious problem. That serious problem being the fact that you were able to cram hundreds of hours worth of grinding into the span of less than 24 hours... let alone if you spent literally all waking hours playing the game on launch day. (This is just my opinion though, which I should hope goes without saying.)

But you're trying to the opposite, that there's indeed infinite to do. So like... what's it matter even if someone does time travel, that they don't exhaust all there literally there is to do on a given day? Why would that matter, when there's infinite regardless? What's the big deal, regardless? Especially when it doesn't actually impact their personal experience and they're having fun regardless? What exactly is the problem, exactly?
Because it means they are going out of their way to unlocks things they don't need to unlock. That implies there's something deficient about the first days of the gameplay experience. As in, the "infinite" things they could do are instead insufficient.

Yeah, you can argue you don't need to not cheat, but it's circular logic: you don't need to cheat, either. The only explanation I can muster is that people succumb to temptation and impatience. Okay fine. But then people are going to point that out. Especially when that temptation and impatience can have spillover effects into others' gameplay experience, as I explained earlier.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
I usually live a day in the future so that turnips come on saturday
it's just a better day for me to play games

Deleted member 283

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because it means they are going out of their way to unlocks things they don't need to unlock. That implies there's something deficient about the first days of the gameplay experience. As in, the "infinite" things they could do are instead insufficient.

Yeah, you can argue you don't need to not cheat, but it's circular logic: you don't need to cheat, either. The only explanation I can muster is that people succumb to temptation and impatience. Okay fine. But then people are going to point that out. Especially when that temptation and impatience can have spillover effects into others' gameplay experience, as I explained earlier.
Let me clarify something here: You mention stuff like going to other islands to get all the materials you get, and tricks to get infinite Nook Miles and stuff. In other words, you're focusing on possibilities and being as efficient as possible.

Those are things that are technically possible, yes, but are things that are not only not necessarily intuitive or obvious, but not necessarily a fun or interesting way to play for a given person. It may technically be possible, but that doesn't mean someone actually wants to do that, or there's anything wrong with that.

Like me for instance. I don't have New Horizons like I said, but I have no interest in like the crafting system in general or gathering materials by shaking trees or breaking down rocks and the like. Like, the crafting system such as it was wasn't very interesting in Pocket Camp, and it doesn't seem very interesting in New Horizons to me either. So if I were to pick up the game, I'd very likely try to get by on the absolute minimum number of materials on any given day. Doesn't matter that I can technically pick up more, that it would be more efficient for me to do so and save me time in the long run or anything like that, when I just don't find that type of gameplay interesting.

Like, it might be technically possible for me to do that stuff without time traveling, and in a more efficient manner at that, but that doesn't really matter to me at all if that more efficient gameplay style would be much less fun to me.

Or to put it a completely different way, I mentioned that I personally recognize these games as having infinite potential, infinite avenues for creative expression and all that. Like, I gave the example in my first post of this thread of say making a Pokémon themed town, and alternating between different themes based around different types of Pokémon, different sets of Gym Leaders, different Elite Four Members, different evil teams, or even individual Pokémon, and how there's tons of other things you can do with just a simple theme like Pokémon to keep things fresh.

But yet at the same time, in my previous post in the thread, recall that I also mentioned that there are those in thread saying that for them personally, they don't like the idea of time travel because to them, if they were to time travel, they feel that would exhaust the amount of content the game has to offer way to quickly. I mentioned how I personally don't agree with those that say that, how I don't think that's how the game personally works to me, because to me, the game has infinite potential for creative expression, but yet despite that, DESPITE that, I can still totally respect the people who say that anyway, despite I myself seeing the game to have infinite possibilities like that.

How can that be, that I can still very easily see that point of view, even if I disagree with it?

Well, because that's the thing: that's because in my example, I'm taking about how I'd play the game and the type of things I'd like to do if I were to play it.

However, what I personally like is not the same as what SOMEONE ELSE likes. Like, to go back to my example, I mentioned the example of constantly changing up my town a lot and changing my furniture and such around by keeping a central theme as a basis but changing what aspect of the town I want to explore.

But someone else? Someone else might have a very specific idea of what they want their house and town to look like, and once they reach it, that's just how they want to keep it, and they have no interest in making any more changes to it once they get there. The fact they technically CAN keep changing it means nothing at all if they aren't interested in that or don't find it fun at all. It needs to not only just be possible, but also be fun and enjoyable to matter. And so like if that's something that someone's not interested in, that's obviously also the type of thing that would limit how much they personally can get out of a game like this, and thus how they personally could easily think time travel could limit how much they can get out of the game, whereas someone like me wouldn't be bothered. Just complete differences in gameplay style like that.

And obviously that's just as valid a way of playing, having an end-goal of what you want your island and home to look like and not wanting to deviate from it once you get there, as mine of wanting to constantly mix things up, but yeah, depending on which one you pick, that could quite easily affect the longevity of the game in multiple ways and thus how people view time travel and stuff as well.

For your example of going to different islands and use Nook Miles and stuff to get infinite materials and stuff, that same type of thing applies to me. That might technically be possible... But it doesn't matter if that's not a fun gameplay style. Both need to be true for it to matter, not just one or the other. I hope that makes sense, especially with that other example to show what I'm trying to get at there. That you seem to be getting stuck on what are technically possible ways people could possibly play the game yes, but aren't necessarily ways people would enjoy playing the game despite it technically being possible and how those are two very, very different things, and can affect the ways people play and enjoy the game in turn due to that. That possible isn't all there is to it. Hopefully that makes sense.

But yeah, for me, it all just comes down to different gameplay styles like that, and people just having to personally find what works out best for them personally, with their being no right or wrong answers but people just having to find their personal answer that finds their personal gameplay style and as long as that what happens, that's all good, and that's all that matters to me as far as these things go, anyway.

Jan 4, 2018
It always seemed counter intuitive to the design of the of the game so I avoid doing it. I've been kind of tempted with New Horizons though just because one of the hairstyles requires not playing for a week and I want it, but I don't think I'll do that anytime soon.