• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The media is desperate for the days of Trump or at a minimum are desperate for Biden to shove his foot into his mouth a lot and so far its really not happening. So the next best thing is snippet partial transcripts and in this day and age of not reading past the snippet generate outrage

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
BTW, tons of countries (that are a part of the IOC) have very strict laws on weed and see it as a very serious crime to partake.

Just because the US and some European countries think it's okay, doesn't mean the rest of the world agrees.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
that's not true lmao, there is tons of biden criticism here
I didn't say there wasn't any criticism just that there is a trend towards a sentiment that he should not be critiqued as he's defended constantly here for s
Genuine question, what would you like Biden to do?

He calls for a rule change, and the World Anti-Doping Agency + IOC will be like so ....?

Its a BS rule but at least they are finally allowing Olympic moms to bring their baby so they can breastfeed
he's the president. If you think his opinion on the matter will not change people's thoughts on the matter idk what to tell you. I didn't say he'd be the cause of direct change through official channels but he should definitely be saying much more than he did.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
BTW, tons of countries (that are a part of the IOC) have very strict laws on weed and see it as a very serious crime to partake.

Just because the US and some European countries think it's okay, doesn't mean the rest of the world agrees.
it's not an opinion though. It's an archaic notion that has no basis in reality or science. The laws regarding mj around the world are literally just to punish lower class citizens.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why eliminate someone for weed? Especially when it's legal in so many places. Like, as a punishment for being 'naughty'? Not upholding the standards of professional athletes? Because it's not exactly a performance enhancing drug.
There are fewer countries that legalized weed than those that don't and even in the US it's not really legal since not every state has legalized it

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it's not an opinion though. It's an archaic notion that has no basis in reality or science. The laws regarding mj around the world are literally just to punish lower class citizens.
WADA think it has merit.
It's changing as time go and getting softer, but that is the current set of rules that all athletes adhere to.

We should listen to the world anti-doping agency or some random people?

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the general population? That's the reason there's even talk about this rule in the first place. Are you trying to be dumb?

Then why we have the WADA if we can just do an internet pool? Is the general population expert in antidoping? plus you will find that the general population opinion change with the nation you go.

Reason and logic. Essentially its a rule that punishes people for no good reason, unless you're willing to convince me otherwise?

They are some reason, a quick google search and you will find them. Whatever you think they are good or not, the majority of athletes do adhere to them.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Then why we have the WADA if we can just do an internet pool? Is the general population expert in antidoping? plus you will find that the general population opinion change with the nation you go.

Wait til you find out how broken the rest of society is. Something formally existing doesn't make it right and fair, nor something the majority agree with. Never has.

They are some reason, a quick google search and you will find them. Whatever you think they are good or not, the majority of athletes do adhere to them.

....of course a lot of them adhere to the rules....they'd be booted if they didn't? Im not even sure what you're arguing here.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
WADA think it has merit.
It's changing as time go and getting softer, but that is the current set of rules that all athletes adhere to.

lol do you think every official body on this planet is always correct with regards to science and decision making? Do you know if they even do any research with regards to marijuana and it's affects on the human body. No, here WADA is only perpetuating a cycle of classism and racism thru recreational drug use because the use of marijuana would have little to negative affects on her performance. It's abuse, it's arbitrary, it's not a rule. If it were alcohol wouldn't be allowed after the games. You think thc is allowed afterwards?

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lol do you think every official body on this planet is always correct with regards to science and decision making? Do you know if they even do any research with regards to marijuana and it's affects on the human body. No, here WADA is only perpetuating a cycle of classism and racism thru recreational drug use because the use of marijuana would have little to negative affects on her. It's abuse, not a rule. That's all there is to it.

Do you know if they do research? (of course, they don't, but they are likely reading research on it since it's their field)

Something expert gets it wrong and is very likely they will change their opinion on this in the next few years since clearly, the stance is shifting, but something that we should have learned in the populism era si that most of the time they are correct.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Centrist Era's sycophantic bullshit on full display here.

Saying "whether or not the rule should be changed is a separate issue" is not a criticism, it's a dodge to avoid making criticism, which is also exactly what this "the rules are the rules" bullshit also is.

Biden here is trying to dodge the question because Biden still favors the criminalization of marijuana, which suggests very strongly that he would remain in favor of marijuana being disqualifying for olympic athletes. But he doesn't want to say that, so instead, it's, well, hey, that's the rules, why should I use my incredible international stature to advocate for change even though that's literally part of the job he was elected to do.
"why should I use my incredible international stature to advocate for change even though that's literally part of the job he was elected to do."

-Why would Biden Advocate the rules of Weed to change worldwide when he hasn't even said anything about legalization in America, his own country ?

He would have been blasted as a hypocrite if he would have, which is the reason that he didn't and he didn't say anything controversial or bad as he agreed with her response to all of this.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Do you know if they do research? (of course, they don't, but they are likely reading research on it since it's their field)

Something expert gets it wrong and is very likely they will change their opinion on this in the next few years since clearly, the stance is shifting, but something that we should have learned in the populism era si that most of the time they are correct.

Show me the research proving Richardson's having THC detected was an unfair sporting advantage for an upcoming event.

a substance must meet at least two of the following criteria: the substance has to be considered a performance enhancer; it must potentially pose a health risk to athletes; and its use must violate the "spirit of sport," which the agency's 2021 code defines as "the celebration of the human spirit, body and mind," adding that it reflects the values of sports, such as character, teamwork and "fun and joy."

Everything about the official statement contradicts science, the effects of recreational marijuana and the human condition itself. Its utter gibberish and entirely outdated.

Last edited:

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
"why should I use my incredible international stature to advocate for change even though that's literally part of the job he was elected to do."

-Why would Biden Advocate the rules of Weed to change worldwide when he hasn't even said anything about legalization in America, his own country ?

He would have been blasted as a hypocrite if he would have, which is the reason that he didn't and he didn't say anything controversial or bad as he agreed with her response to all of this.
so you're just saying he's center right got it. Yeah that's my problem with him. When it comes to liberal issues he push that shit under the rug and chooses the path of least resistance. Tired of this status quo, piece of the pie at a time for minorities bullshit. Our leaders are inept and barely speak for the people who are literally dying to vote for them. The black community doesn't want to hear rules are rules joe. Another black athlete is getting punished for no reason. Speak up you're a flipping public/political figure.

SilentSoldier

Oct 27, 2017
She's an olympic level athlete, surely she knew the rules of the banned substances regardless of their legality in the state she was consuming them in since the Olympics is an international event. She owned up to her mistake with poise. Biden has no control over what the IOC does and his opinion on the matter isn't going to change what they do. Why are people making a big deal out of this? Hell, I wouldn't have even known he had made a statement at all about it if it wasn't for this thread.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Show me the research proving Richardson's having THC detected was an unfair sporting advantage for an upcoming event.

Everything about the official statement contradicts science, the effects of recreational marijuana and the human condition itself. Its utter gibberish and entirely outdated.

Why should Cannabis be Considered Doping in Sports? (nih.gov)

But I'm pretty sure you will not agree with any of those unless there is "THC increase speed by xxx%"
What they think of doping is just more extensive than what you think it is.

I feel she is taking it much more professionally than any of you are doing.

Kayotix

Oct 25, 2017
I agree.... Dumb rule but it's a rule. It's also nice to see an athlete own up to a mistake too and not try and place blame elsewhere.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't she some kind of homophobe, not that the rule isn't stupid.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Why should Cannabis be Considered Doping in Sports? (nih.gov)

But I'm pretty sure you will not agree with any of those unless there is "THC increase speed by xxx%"
What they think of doping is just more extensive than what you think it is.

I feel she is taking it much more professionally than any of you are doing.

Even if you think it constitutes doping, the thing is they're not having a joint before competing. Things you do in your personal life that have no effect on competition shouldn't be measured this way.

Also, of course she's taking it professionally. Im sure every legal advice encourages this for obvious reasons.

This shouldn't be 3 pages long.
Did she break a rule? yes
Is the rule bullshit? also yes.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Even if you think it constitutes doping, the thing is they're not having a joint before competing. Things you do in your personal life that have no effect on competition shouldn't be measured this way.

Also, of course she's taking it professionally. Im sure every legal advice encourages this for obvious reasons.
That's not how it works. If someone takes a substance within range of competition, no matter the reason, you can't just claim there was no effect. If you start allowing emotion into these rulings, you won't like the outcome.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
That's not how it works. If someone takes a substance within range of competition, no matter the reason, you can't just claim there was no effect. If you start allowing emotion into these rulings, you won't like the outcome.

Emotion is the reason illogical rulings exist. Literally a biproduct of the endlessly destructive war on drugs. If it has an effect long after use then you need to prove that with hard evidence. Do you think they even cared for that kind of research when finalizing the rules?

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This shouldn't be 3 pages long.
Did she break a rule? yes
Is the rule bullshit? also yes.

For starters, I perfectly believe her when she said the reason.

But according to the document of how an athlete could use THC
1) Use it few weeks before the competition to help his training
2) Drop it
3) Compete

In this case, they could have an advantage over those who did not use THC.

Btw IOC and the international organization have no problem with her competing as the ban expire before the Olympics start.
It's just how the US qualification system work.

Emotion is the reason illogical rulings exist. Literally a biproduct of the endlessly destructive war on drugs. If it has an effect long after use then you need to prove that with hard evidence. Do you think they even cared for that kind of research when finalizing the rules?

This is not the war on drugs.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
For starters, I perfectly believe her when she said the reason.

But according to the document of how an athlete could use THC
1) Use it few weeks before the competition to help her training
2) Drop it
3) Compete

In this case, she could have an advantage over those who did not use THC.

Btw IOC and the international organization have no problem with her competing as the ban expire before the Olympics start.

Now we're at the point where we're imagining athletes intentionally "doping" weed. We're officially in useless conspiracy levels of conjecture about an organization which is currently banning women with higher Testosterone levels and you want to talk about fairness.

Yes, that's the point in contention.

This is not the war on drugs.

It kinda is a direct result, but ok.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Are we all just gonna forget Biden's role as one of many active architects of the drug war and drug hysteric culture that enacted these rules and policies?

66effc2b-d057-4aea-9eb1-be1342aa6050.jpeg
True. I do think he will 'evolve' on the issue, but there is no denying he has been consistently on the wrong side of this issue.

He should have been much more clear and said it was a rule that should change and that he would be working towards that change.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Now we're at the point where we're imagining athletes intentionally "doping" weed. We're officially in useless conspiracy levels of conjecture about an organization which is currently banning women with higher Testosterone levels and you want to talk about fairness.
if they have the substance you assume the worst.
It's actually the less biased option.
Yes, that's the point in contention.

Then why this thread is about thc and not about the us qualification system?

Nov 2, 2017

I'm saying he's using a dodge because his genuine opinion is "her suspension for weed is just and good" and he knows that's unpopular, and thus he's dodging giving an answer. Meanwhile, you've got the centrist sycophant crowd trying to excuse the dodge because, you know, of course he wouldn't agree with the suspension, but Rules And Polite Process forbid the actual reasonable response and it's therefore unfair to not regard dodging the question as Actually He's Supporting Change.

That's an incorrect read. He was specifically asked about Robertson's suspension and brought up the fact that idea that it may not be just himself. He's not dodging the question he's planting the seed that it needs to be reviewed

He doesn't suggest at all that the suspension is not just, the entire use of "that's a different topic" is intended to distance him from having provided any answer to that question one way or another. The way to address that issue is to address that issue, instead of basically just saying "please don't consider that my Rules Are Rules comment is any sort of comment whatsoever on the wider topic" and hoping that people take the inference that the distancing that dodge provides is an indicator of his position on the topic (despite his continuing approval for the criminalization of marijuana).

Last edited:

Jmanunknown

Oct 26, 2017
WADA think it has merit.

WADA does not think it has merit and has admitted as much on record.
WADA knows that banning marijuana is ridiculous. That's why the ban is so short! The minimum ban for a performance-enhancing drug is two years. This year, WADA decided that substances like cocaine, heroin, ecstasy and cannabis were often "substances of abuse" and that suspensions for using them should not automatically be the same as for performance-enhancing drugs. As WADA spokesperson James Fitzgerald told Cycling Weekly, "It was felt that the use of these drugs was often unrelated to sport performance." https://www.si.com/olympics/2021/07/02/shacarri-richardson-suspended-for-breaking-stupid-rule
The 30 day to 90 day ban is some punitive bs because they can get away with it but logically if its not performance enhancing why suspend an individual for it.

MarcelloF

Dec 9, 2020
He says nothing of substance. "Rule are rules" is a pointless, empty thing to say. Yeah, we all fucking know rules are indeed rules. But some rules should not be rules and should be changed. People here are saying Biden is advocating for change, but he is absolutely not. He's literally sidestepping that conversation.

nacimento

Oct 27, 2017
What else should he do? Tell the IOC "change the rule today or else I'll drop a nuke on Lausanne"?

mieumieu

Oct 25, 2017
The Farplane
User warned: hostility
Performative outraged, extremely online, US centric leftists on this site is fucking worst

"The full quote isn't much better"

Be fucking glad you have a national leader who says that full quote, privileged dipshit

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Yes, the rules are dumb, but she knew very well what the consequence was if she was tested and it was positive. Yes her mother died, still, the rules doesn't give leeway to this.

Kotto

CEO of Traphouse Networks
Nov 3, 2017
Performative outraged, extremely online, US centric leftists on this site is fucking worst

"The full quote isn't much better"

Be fucking glad you have a national leader who says that full quote, privileged dipshit

You can quote me, I am grown enough to take insults lol

And I'm just saying my piece. The full quote isn't much better because his center-right stance on things puts him in rough spots where he can't even say something in defense of Sha'Carri without also possibly contradicting his stance on marijuana (or the reporter asking further questions on a possible new stance). This is what he gotta deal with for having bad policies and opinions on things.

And please don't tell me what I need to be glad about.

mieumieu

Oct 25, 2017
The Farplane
Also be fucking glad WADA only puts one month ban on "substance of abuse". If it happens in my country she would've been banished from the public

You have no clue how to persuade ordinary people in developing countries including mine that weed should be legal.

Your privilege is showing. Get some perspective.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
He doesn't suggest at all that the suspension is not just, the entire use of "that's a different topic" is intended to distance him from having provided any answer to that question one way or another. The way to address that issue is to address that issue, instead of basically just saying "please don't consider that my Rules Are Rules comment is any sort of comment whatsoever on the wider topic" and hoping that people take the inference that the distancing that dodge provides is an indicator of his position on the topic (despite his continuing approval for the criminalization of marijuana).
You're expecting too much from a quick answer at a holiday publicity tour. He answered the question which was focused on Richardson herself and implied that the rule needs to be reconsidered. You're never going to get much more than that from such a question

Nov 2, 2017
You're expecting too much from a quick answer at a holiday publicity tour. He answered the question which was focused on Richardson herself and implied that the rule needs to be reconsidered. You're never going to get much more than that from such a question

No, I'm reading correctly that Biden doesn't want to say more, retreating into "rules are rules" so that he can justify the decision before distancing himself without making any comment on the relative wisdom of the rules. I'm inferring from his policy positions that it's because the substantive thing he has to say is repellent to people who he needs to vote for him.

Biden's a practiced politician, getting a response of a dodge and a no comment is basically the thing you should expect from someone like that.

(For a laugh: consider the sort of person who thinks the Olympics should think about changing the rules about marijuana use while also continuing to think that any person caught possessing weed needs to be prosecuted criminally. The only way to really square that is with a dose of fascist in-group/out-group logic.)

Last edited:

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal

While I agree that the rich in every country generally tend to get away with much more, I have a feeling you're thinking of this from an American perspective, where minorities (historically and specifically black Americans) were punished with weed as an excuse.

That is simply not the case in many other countries where weed is illegal. For example, China has incredibly strict drug laws partially due to their history with opium. The view on drugs there (funnily enough, not alcohol or nicotine) have nothing to do with "punishing lower class citizens," but rather are a by-product of historical grievances.

You are free to have whatever opinion you want, of course. While I'd agree that scientifically, there's no reason why alcohol is considered less dangerous than weed, that doesn't suddenly erase the past.

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
I mean he basically states a fact then gives his views on said fact.

This isn't the gotcha Twitter desperately wishes it to be.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
If you want to be mad at Biden, by all means, but maybe focus on things actually in his purview? He could magically legalize all drugs tomorrow and nothing would change here. Our domestic drug policies are at best tangentially related to international sports doping rules.

We shouldn't want to have our president wading into every issue of the day. It's a sideshow that distracts both from holding the president accountable for his job performance and from actually addressing or understanding the given situation.