• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand why someone would get offended by this. The very use of "sports ball" is both mocking and self deprecating. It implies a lack of interest, but also a lack of knowledge in the sport. Seems like a bit of an overreaction.
The funny thing is the recent overreaction to "Sportsball" has definitely made that word far more common knowledge than it ever was before.

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They want to feel cool and make you feel less cool than for having different tastes. It's probably some deep seeded insecurity from back in their school days when all the popular kids and athletes got the girl while they were left alone on prom night.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I don't understand why someone would get offended by this. The very use of "sports ball" is both mocking and self deprecating. It implies a lack of interest, but also a lack of knowledge in the sport. Seems like a bit of an overreaction.

If there's one thing I've learned, it's that people can be unironically very proud of their ignorance.

pink

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

i've only heard sportsball used to mock people who like sports, like they're talking down on people for enjoying whatever sport it is

dumb

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I love those terms, lol. Sports are goofy. Shooters have lots of shooting. It's not some grave insult to use jokey dismissive language about genres that other people take super duper seriously. I doubt most people poke fun at sports or shooters with hostile intent.

Anyway, I'm off to field some hoops on the duderball court.

Coinspinner

Nov 6, 2017
"You haven't played a video game since Shooty Shooty Bang Bang!"

"I LIKE Shooty Shooty Bang Bang!"

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
i've only heard sportsball used to mock people who like sports, like they're talking down on people for enjoying whatever sport it is

dumb
I've frequently heard it used to reference the Superbowl from people who no nothing about football but are watching for the spectacle.

There's an irony here in talking about people who like sports being "talked down to" on a video game forum.

If there's one thing I've learned, it's that people can be unironically very proud of their ignorance.
Sadly, this is very true in some circles. Reminds me of the great scene from IASIP:

pink

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I've frequently heard it used to reference the Superbowl from people who no nothing about football but are watching for the spectacle.

There's an irony here in talking about people who like sports being "talked down to" on a video game forum.

I don't watch any sports and i can still see how it's condescending

No_idea.jpg

Aztorian

Jan 3, 2018
I am currently playing a really diffuclt Slashy-slashy-swoosh-uuaarghh game but before I started that one I was having a lot of fun playing a Bwwwoooiiinngg-swooosh-clash-clash game.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
I don't watch any sports and i can still see how it's condescending

No_idea.jpg

It's fine. I'm sure there are people out there who are being condescending. I'm just saying this phrase can also be used in a more light-hearted way. Anyone being condescending to anyone else for their hobbies on an enthusiast video game forum is deeply lacking in self awareness.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
I think people have come up with enough derogatory labels so that nearly every game can be categorized into it.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Weeb games are definitely dunked on more than sports ball or shoot bang titles. And in any case, this is such a weird complaint. People who use those titles are, in a gaming sense, "punching up". They're totally aware sports ball and shoot bang titles are WAY more popular than whatever it is they like. Hence the general frustration.

OP
OP
Secretofmateria

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Never saw anyone being used.

I know that one and walking simulator.

Forgot about walking simulator, i also dislike that one

i also cant stand it when its used during the super bowl. I take it pretty seriously, but it can be frustrating when my friends are like "lol sportsball get that home run!" Like they are ironically proud of their ignorance.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
It's basically that guys (generally) who don't care about sports think every other guy cares about sports, so sometimes they performatively don't care about sports because they think that makes them interesting.

"So excited for the sportsball game! How many field goals is it to do a lay-up, again? Ooh, home run!"

The problem is that every other basic nerd on Twitter has been making the same jokes for a decade now, and so the whole thing is just beat to death at this point. Now it's like someone who doesn't care about the Super Bowl and doesn't comment about how much they don't care is like a white whale.

TheJollyCorner

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
It's too early. I read that last one in the title as 'sports bar' and thought "now kids are comparing games to sports bars?" 😂

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
yo when assholes say sports ball i immediately think they're horrendous people

(i don't give a shit about sports but really?)
Is this for real? As a huge sports fan I routinely refer to it as sportsball with friends. It's fun to make sportsball memes that are applicable to hockey as there is no ball.

win the points, score the game

it's also common to go into threads and see "what a fuckin weeb game" and the poster has some kind of anime avatar and is an avid fan of the series. self deprecating humor is the norm

Mar 30, 2019
I use handegg in a funny endearing way because of its prevalence in my social circle. I only use mockery to be playful and will clarify if asked.

Sarcasm and mockery on the internet will never be interpreted clearly until body language, enunciated words, and facial cues can be a part of the dialogue. In the mean time, let's enjoy some sportsball.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
it's kinda silly to generalize about anyone in this day and age

same goes for throwing all anime (and its fans) under the same umbrella, too. It's dumb on all sides.

Sportsball can be funny though in very specific scenarios, though, when it's more playful and not pejorative.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
I actually quite enjoy games getting called rooty tooty looty dooty point and shooty games but that's just me.

Otherwise it's just people get insecure for some reason about not liking things other people like and trying to make it into a superiority thing because ~reasons~

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
Because people like to mock other people.

It's pretty sad isn't it? I don't know what benefit to mocking people for their interests is.

You'd think people with traditionally viewed as "geeky" interests would understand how stupid judging people that way is.
I can't tell you how many times I see people who are into Marvel and DC will mock people into anime.

I'm not immune to this either. I used to be like that. Used to laugh at people into Star Trek and My Little Pony. Then I realised how fucking immature and bullshit it is. Liking media shouldn't be stressful. It shouldn't be a point of shame.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
I'll call something dudebro if it has that clear aesthetic because it's a lot shorter descriptor than "gritty military shooter starring gruff white dudes with beards and shaved heads". Also handegg jokingly, because you guys can't name your sport correctly.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Elitist snobbery. If you like mainstream games you're not a true fan of gaming, and such opinions.

Usually driven by some form of insecurity.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
It's pretty sad isn't it? I don't know what benefit to mocking people for their interests is.

You'd think people with traditionally viewed as "geeky" interests would understand how stupid judging people that way is.
I can't tell you how many times I see people who are into Marvel and DC will mock people into anime.

I'm not immune to this either. I used to be like that. Used to laugh at people into Star Trek and My Little Pony. Then I realised how fucking immature and bullshit it is. Liking media shouldn't be stressful. It shouldn't be a point of shame.
Well... It's only human...
en.wikipedia.org

Mockery - Wikipedia

Oct 25, 2017
Are these terms commonly used as pejoratives? I feel they're used more by people who like them but are self-conscious that they're generic.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
It's a superiority thing. We're all guilty of it in some capacity at times be it in games or other things, but monocultured nerds generally look down on sports (for some bizarre reason) and associate shooting games with the kind of people who enjoy them.

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Among my friends I have definitely referred to games like that as a joke, but its because I like the shooty bang bang games and I think it's a funny phrase.

Just ignore the ones trying to mock or seem superior for their gaming choices, you won't lose anything by not seeing their comments. Like, we're all over here playing videogames.

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
"Menu, menu, read a gamefaqs stat growth chart" just doesn't have the same ring to it.

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
It's a superiority thing. We're all guilty of it in some capacity at times be it in games or other things, but monocultured nerds generally look down on sports (for some bizarre reason) and associate shooting games with the kind of people who enjoy them.

People into "nerdy" hobbies don't tend to be athletic and because of that were probably bullied for it. So as a coping mechanism they probably view people into athletic hobbies as "dumb" or just lesser than them. Its very toxic.

It's a vicious cycle, those who get picked on in turn will pick on those they perceive as lower than them validating the whole thing.

What a depressing world we live in where those who are unjustly hurt by toxicity continue that toxicity themselves.