• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
Sigh

The new law came about as state lawmakers sought to override an action by the San Antonio City Council in March, which voted against a Chick-fil-A restaurant at the municipal airport, citing the company's "legacy of anti-LGBTQ behavior."

"No business should be discriminated against simply because its owners gave to a church, or to the Salvation Army, or to any other religious organization. No business should lose a government contract because of their religious beliefs," Abbott said. "The 'Save Chick-fil-A' legislation that I'm about to sign is a victory for religious freedom in Texas."

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
"No business should lose a government contract because of their religious beliefs"

Yeah, okay, fine, true. Wonder if they'll defend other religious organizations as fervently?

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
I hope the Church of Satan can do one of their things to make a mockery of these laws. They're good for that.

Aine

May 27, 2019
We struggle to get laws in to protect minority groups for decades, but Jesus always gets a fast-pass.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So they're going to show the same level of protection for Muslim owned businesses, right? Right?

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They shouldn't be allowed in the airport since they aren't open on Sundays anyway

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
"No business should be discriminated against simply because its owners gave to a church, or to the Salvation Army, or to any other religious organization."

Is the irony just completely lost on them?

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Classic "you are infringing on my right to infringe on other's rights!" Texan here, we stopped going awhile ago.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, and people were wagging their fingers at my gay ass in my thread about moving to WA that I was being dramatic about Texas being a hellhole for these exact reasons.

Texas has zero protections for LGBTQ people against discrimination from multi-million dollar corporations, but now they have the opposite! Anti-discrimination legislation to protect multi-million dollar corporations from LGBTQ and allies criticizing them for donating to organizations that treat LGBTQ people terribly. I can be fired for being married to a man, but let's prioritize protecting CFA by endowing corporations with "human rights and freedoms" without human responsibilities.

Don't even read the comments on the Facebook post for this clip. It's nothing but Texans saying "GOD BLESS AMERICA, GOD BLESS ABBOTT, GOD BLESS CFA! THANK YOU ABBOTT"

I_D

Oct 27, 2017
I hope the Church of Satan can do one of their things to make a mockery of these laws. They're good for that.

That would be amazing, and I really hope it happens.

Chick-Fil-A is in no danger, financially. Having a law specific to a business seems like a really odd thing to do.
And, if we're being realistic here, isn't that kind of the whole point of capitalism? If Chick-Fil-A pissed off soooooo many people that they went out of business, isn't that just part of the game?

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
I love how the religious right in America has convinced themselves that they are a persecuted minority despite 65-70% of people identifying as Christian. You almost have to appreciate that level of moronic self-delusion.

OP
OP
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, and people were wagging their fingers at my gay ass in my thread about moving to WA that I was being dramatic about Texas being a hellhole for these exact reasons.

Texas has zero protections for LGBTQ people against discrimination from multi-million dollar corporations, but now they have the opposite! Anti-discrimination legislation to protect multi-million dollar corporations from LGBTQ and allies criticizing them for donating to organizations that treat LGBTQ people terribly. I can be fired for being married to a man, but let's prioritize protecting CFA by endowing corporations with "human rights and freedoms" without human responsibilities.

Don't even read the comments on the Facebook post for this clip. It's nothing but Texans saying "GOD BLESS AMERICA, GOD BLESS ABBOTT, GOD BLESS CFA! THANK YOU ABBOTT"

Don't forget you can be fired for being anti Israel too.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Some other company with a govt contract should donate to a madrasa and watch that law get repealed with the quickness.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I thought one of the issue was that corporate itself donated to anti-LGBT groups, not just the owners.

OP
OP
Oct 26, 2017
That would be amazing, and I really hope it happens.

Chick-Fil-A is in no danger, financially. Having a law specific to a business seems like a really odd thing to do.
And, if we're being realistic here, isn't that kind of the whole point of capitalism? If Chick-Fil-A pissed off soooooo many people that they went out of business, isn't that just part of the game?

Well, look, that's the point here. So, let's remove the chik fil a from this story:

What these dumb hillbillies are arguing is that , on a federal level, agencies should not discriminate against businesses on account of who they support . This is in response to San Antonio denying CFA from opening a restaurant in their airport because of their anti LGBTQ discriminatory past. Shit eating Abbott argues that's not their call to make on those grounds.

He's not arguing that no one should not outright boycott them on a personal level. Capitalism can still play its part.

The absurdity of this story is that it is highly unlikely a law to ever get broken in the first place and the fact that he called it CFA was him tossing in a dog whistle out there to pander to his bigot followers

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
It is extremely difficult for even the most optimistic person alive to even attempt to convince me an overwhelming amount of straight people Won't just always hate us, no matter how much queer and gay and lesbian people they wind up meeting in life and claiming to befriend

It's not ever gonna fucking work out in our favor, even for a brief moment, is it?

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas state lawmakers love invalidating county/city laws if they don't like them. Few years back my city voted to ban fracking, then state lawmakers said lol cities don't get to decide if fracking is allowed in cities.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Anti-"religious" actions but not anti-lgbt actions lmao

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
It is extremely difficult for even the most optimistic person alive to even attempt to convince me an overwhelming amount of straight people Won't just always hate us, no matter how much queer and gay and lesbian people they wind up meeting in life and claiming to befriend

It's not ever gonna fucking work out in our favor, even for a brief moment, is it?
Depends on how optimistic you are about humanity surviving a hundred+ years in the future

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
So women and LGBTQ+ can still be discriminated for their gender or sexuality but when a fast food chain that DOES give their money to places that does the discriminating? SAVE THEM, I MUST HAVE MY DRY ASS CHICKEN!

GTFOH

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
I love how the religious right in America has convinced themselves that they are a persecuted minority despite 65-70% of people identifying as Christian. You almost have to appreciate that level of moronic self-delusion.

It's not about being Christian, it's about being the right kind of Christian.

Lexad

"This guy are sick"
Nov 4, 2017
User banned (3 days): Inflammatory drive-by
It is a good law, sorry.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dude is a homophobe like most republicans. Hell, I'd venture to say all republicans. He's already passed numerous anti-lgbtq legislation.

devilhawk

Oct 27, 2017
I would need to see the text of the law, but something tells me this is hilariously exploitable.

Get contract. Do crazy shit under the name of "religion."