• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
May 17, 2018
This is, maybe the dumbest pet peeve I have in games, but, I need to know why this is a thing.

If the title screen of your game tells me to "PRESS ANY BUTTON" and then, per your instruction, I do *indeed* press any button, would logic not dictate that ANY button press, regardless of the one I chose, then prompt the next screen?

If you mean "press a face button" then say "press the A/X button." Why the bait and switch? Why do this to me, and the rest of your audience? We demand consistency.

I know this is dumb and means nothing but, I can't help it. Developers: please help me understand.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
If I'm told to press "any" button, I will always opt for something like a trigger or select or something.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
i played a game the other day that said press any button but only reacted once i pressed one of the face buttons. left me very confused

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
I press the power button.

I don't finish many of my games.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Oh I was gonna make a similar topic because of Dying Light 2, it's just ridiculous how many times you have to "press a to confirm" to just get to the main menu.

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
Better than the "Press L + R on Switch games...but you can press any button anyway...but sometimes you can't ".

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
U5nI0ai.jpg

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
I am more annoyed by games asking me to press a specific button but actually you can press any button anyway.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Devil's advocate: Triggers, bumpers, thumbsticks, and touchpads are called triggers, bumpers, thumbsticks, and touchpads, not "buttons."

Yes, they are all literally types of buttons. But linguistically, the "buttons" on a controller are commonly understood as the traditional flat faced inputs. This is why "press any button" usually only accommodates these inputs. Because these are what we refer to as buttons. This is what they are referring to too.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
I always click L3 or R3 just to see if its really "any button". Oddly enough, its not accepted most of thr time.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
Back in my day, you knew you were playing a Japanese game when you pressed X and it exited the menu.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Better than the "Press L + R on Switch games...but you can press any button anyway...but sometimes you can't ".
"Press L + R so we can check if you're playing with a solo Joy-Con, but if you're not feel free to press some other button, and we may-or-may-not accept that" is too long I guess.

OP
OP
DailyCalmSpirit
May 17, 2018
Devil's advocate: Triggers, bumpers, thumbsticks, and touchpads are called triggers, bumpers, thumbsticks, and touchpads, not "buttons."

Yes, they are all literally types of buttons. But linguistically, the "buttons" on a controller are commonly understood as the traditional flat faced inputs. This is why "press any button" usually only accommodates these inputs. Because these are what we refer to as buttons. This is what they are referring to too.

Ah that's a fair point.

However, take Elden Ring, none of the dpad buttons work. It's just ABXY.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
huh. interesting, i thought i read microsoft were real particular about what language/button to indicate on these things. thanks for clarifying!
It may have been at one point with the older generation of consoles, however by the time we started doing console ports no such rules seemed to exist anymore. There are rules about how you mark your prompts (any prompts) however, but that's usually involving language and clarity, using symbols, etc.

Desma

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. It just exists as a standard way to identify the dominate gamepad or device the game should be reading. Cert doesn't care if it's there or not.
Always like booting up an EDF game on PC and seeing a big 'ol "YOU WILL USE A GAME PAD" or "YOU WILL USE MOUSE AND KEYBOARD" after the Press Any Button prompt.

I don't even try changing methods halfway through, I'm too scared to try it

KanameYuuki

Dec 23, 2017
Colombia
It makes me pretty angry to have that screen and then I proceed to press any non face button and it doesn't work, liars! the only one I remember worked touchpad / LR12, Sticks, etc is Nier Automata.

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
If you want to see thousands of these in one place I run a youtube channel just for title screens.. PressStartOnce.com

Never earned a dime but I enjoy sharing when I get a chance.. been uploading for over 10 years.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
im counting this as an elden ring thread

op, youre on the list now

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Just tell me to press the Start button like the good ol' days.

Oh wait, there is no Start button anymore...