• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which one is the best Burnout?

• Revenge

Results are only viewable after voting.

MBS

Oct 25, 2017
First of all, I do like Burnout 3. It deserves the universal praise it still gets, and it desperately needs the remaster treatment for modern consoles.

But what always baffled me is the fact that Revenge doesn't get the retrospective acclaim it deserves. (Still was a 90 MC game at the time). It's basically an improved Burnout 3 with expanded modes, more content, cleaner presentation and effects, soundtrack on par, if not better, than 3, and so much better Crash mode implementation.

Car handling is improved, you can use traffic to your advantage, as you can Takedown your opponents by traffic checking them, and you're not totalled every 10 seconds because you crashed into a random car in front of you.

It's basically Burnout 3.5, taking the best elements from 3, and expanding/improving upon almost all of them. Almost feels like the definite Burnout experience. (Series went downhill after it imho).

And yeah, you can grab the game right now from Xbox Store getting that sweet juicy 4K treatment on XBX.

Last edited:

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Ohhh, I thought this was going to be Revenge of Shinobi vs Shinobi 3. It's something I think about often as I love them both.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
It had a worse takedown cam which is the reason why people like 3 more

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
you're not totalled every 10 seconds because you crashed into a random car in front of you.
This is the main reason its not as loved. It took away a little too much of the risk vs reward system, and left you a bit of a completely invulnerable car shaped comet. Its still a great game, just that it doesn't make it feel like you earn those perfect runs as much.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree, revenge is still the best burnout game. I still play it regularly. When it comes to choosing between revenge or paradise, i pick revenge 10 times out of ten. Plus the 360 version has that great cheesy opening about burnout being in hd now

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017
3 is an amazing game, but Revenge is probably in my Top 10 of all time or close to it. I really loved just about every addition they made to the game.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
you're not totalled every 10 seconds because you crashed into a random car in front of you.

And that's one of the reason I didn't liked Revenge.

I remember playing Burnout 3 for hours with my younger cousin, and one thing we loved to do was tailing each other. One move we loved was driving directly into an upcoming car and moving out in the last second; the one driving behind didn't had time to react so he crashed.

It felt like an incredible reward to a very risky move. That feeling of risk/reward was absent in Revenge.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
ATL
The ability to check oncoming traffic is what turned me off of Revenge. I think Burnout 3 was the perfect balance of risk vs reward for the player. You risked crashing by driving into on coming traffic, but you gained extra boost by doing so.

Edit: Burnout 3 was already on the edge with adding impact time and after touch takedowns. I think that was as far as the series should go in that department. The thrill of Burnout came from driving recklessly, but avoiding crashing. Removing most of the risk from driving recklessly makes it less rewarding.

OP
OP
MBS

MBS

Oct 25, 2017
And that's one of the reason I didn't liked Revenge.

I remember playing Burnout 3 for hours with my younger cousin, and one think we loved to do was tailing each other. One move we loved was driving directly into an upcoming car and moving out in the last second; the one driving behind didn't had time to react so he crashed.

It felt like an incredible reward to a very risky move. That feeling of risk/reward was absent in Revenge.

I give you that, but you could actually use upcoming traffic to your advantage, taking down opponents in front of you in Revenge. So, in multiplayer modes traffic was still a threat, in a different, more fleshed out way, I think.

Feb 8, 2018
I like the B3 approach more but Revenge was decent for the things OP mentioned and its verticality. Technically it should also be easier to reach top speed than in other Burnouts. The next Burnout (lol) should be linear again.

Last edited:

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017
So I hear the risk/reward point being brought up, but an I the only one who generally finds driving into oncoming traffic the same, if not easier than staying in your regular lane in Burnout?

For me,seeing the headlights definitely helps me line up near misses. I think oncoming cars also change lanes less.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
So I hear the risk/reward point being brought up, but an I the only one who generally finds driving into oncoming traffic the same, if not easier than staying in your regular lane in Burnout?

For me,seeing the headlights definitely helps me line up near misses. I think oncoming cars also change lanes less.

Hecks no. Driving in oncoming traffic may be simple earlier on, but as you progress in the grand prix, get faster cars and your opponents get more aggressive, driving into oncoming traffic becomes extremely tense. Speaking about Burnout 3 specifically.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I think the only reason it's underappreciated is because it came out at the end of the generation and people were already looking to the 360. It had one of those up-rezzed cross-gen ports that nobody really cared about.

I remember way, way more hype for Full Auto. Funny that, because this thread is the first time I've thought about Full Auto in like 15 years and Burnout Revenge is still awesome.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Revenge (and well Legends, which is ostensibly a downgraded handheldized version of Revenge) is the only one I've played to date. People talking about 3 as though it's the pinnacle of the series has hyped me up for years for when I inevitably get to it, though part of me feels like Revenge is kind of the perfect version of itself.

OP
OP
MBS

MBS

Oct 25, 2017
I think the only reason it's underappreciated is because it came out at the end of the generation and people were already looking to the 360. It had one of those up-rezzed cross-gen ports that nobody really cared about.

I remember way, way more hype for Full Auto. Funny that, because this thread is the first time I've thought about Full Auto in like 15 years and Burnout Revenge is still awesome.

This, and maybe because the 360 port was criticised for its excessive use of bloom, and somewhat washed out colors, compared to the PS2/Xbox versions.

MisterB_66

Oct 27, 2017
I still remember being so excited to play revenge, screwing up and seeing "Traffic Check" , and immediately being sad that I wasn't punished for said screw up.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
I thought OP misspelled Revengeance and was going to get dogpiled

dogpiled while being correct.

Oct 27, 2017
Played 3 crash mode ALL THE TIME with my uncle and brother and uncle's neighbor.

Then Revenge added that meter system thing which turned us all off. Plus Shadow of the Colossus was around the same time (they were both on the same OPM demo disc at the time at least) and I didn't get very far doing them all in solo mode. Next gen was around the corner too.

Oct 25, 2017
nah, being able to hit traffic ruined the whole balance of the game. 3 was exhilarating. Revenge was a snooze fest in comparison

Oct 27, 2017
ATL

It's hard for me to believe this. I'm curious as to the percentage of people who like Revenge the best where it was actually their first Burnout title?

The general argument for long time Burnout franchise fans, who've played at least since 2, is generally a debate between 2 and 3 being the pinnacle of the series.

Regardless, I'm personally fine with someone liking Revenge the best. I'll just never understand, or accept, anyone touting Paradise as the best in the franchise.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
3 and Revenge combined are the peak of the series. Paradise was such a disappointment.

I would be day freaking one on a 3/Revenge HD Remaster double pack.

Oct 25, 2017
I thought OP misspelled Revengeance and was going to get dogpiled

dogpiled while being correct.

That is a take I don't agree with but can goddamn respect.

Revenge I played much more than 3 so I don't have a great sense of comparison. But the vehicle checking was a tad OP. Remember the tracks feeling great!

Burnout 2 is still tops in my book, with 3 close behind.

Edit: Yup, I see J.T. and atomsk are of a similar mind. :)

Crash mode it's probably true, racing wise 1+2 were far too heavy for my liking.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Good to see all the Burnout 2 love in here. After that, the series started moving away from clean racing. There were a lot of things 2 did better than 3 for me, but 3 certainly had its strengths. Everything after simply didn't hit the same heights.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
I agree!

But the PS2 version any day over the 360 version with all that unnecessary bloom.

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Revenge was my favorite game in the series. But I was a big fan of 3 as well.

I really enjoyed Paradise for what it was (which was a really fun open world racing game), but I miss more traditional arcade racing games with various courses from around the world, you know?

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Burnout Revenge made "risk" almost trivial.
There was no real risk with traffic checking.....just driving with traffic checking everything thats not a truck/bus.

Burnout getting Boost in those crunch moments meant actually having to take risks, Near Miss and Oncoming.

Stryker wasnt annoying, a remaster would give him alot more lines, but I actually found it pretty cool when stryker would talk about the signature takedowns I had done.....I know now this isnt much of a feature but this was OG Xbox days.

I do think Revenge is a stellar game and the verticality of the stages was amazing.
But in terms of overall which is the better game, I still think Burnout 3 is king of the hill, followed by Hot Pursuit 2010 then Burnout Revenge.

XTsFqsl.gif

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, I really liked both. I have to give the edge to 3, but I understand the love for Revenge.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Like others have said traffic checking took away far too much of the challenge.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
TIL that Burnout fans hate Paradise. Damn. I actually popped in here to vote for it too, I had so much fun playing that game.

But I also don't enjoy traditional racers so maybe I'm not the right audience for the other games?

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
First of all, I do like Burnout 3. It deserves the universal praise it still gets, and it desperately needs the remaster treatment for modern consoles.

But what always baffled me is the fact that Revenge doesn't get the retrospective acclaim it deserves. (Still was a 90 MC game at the time). It's basically an improved Burnout 3 with expanded modes, more content, cleaner presentation and effects, soundtrack on par, if not better, than 3, and so much better Crash mode implementation.

Car handling is improved, you can use traffic to your advantage, as you can Takedown your opponents by traffic checking them, and you're not totalled every 10 seconds because you crashed into a random car in front of you.

It's basically Burnout 3.5, taking the best elements from 3, and expanding/improving upon almost all of them. Almost feels like the definite Burnout experience. (Series went downhill after it imho).

And yeah, you can grab the game right now from Xbox Store getting that sweet juicy 4K treatment on XBX.
I didn't play Revenge enough to comment but I played the heck out of 3 on OG Xbox. I still have 3 and Revenge on the OG, though I know Revenge got a release on 360. I need to play these games again.

Agreed on 3 needing a remaster.

5pectre

Nov 16, 2017
This is the main reason its not as loved. It took away a little too much of the risk vs reward system, and left you a bit of a completely invulnerable car shaped comet. Its still a great game, just that it doesn't make it feel like you earn those perfect runs as much.

I came in to say exactly this