• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 29, 2018
As a massive fan of YT(Nier:A being my GOAT) AND as someone who did not enjoy TLOU, this is a pretty missed take. Both Druckman and Yoko approached their craft from a different perspective with different goals in mind and they both managed to captivate their audiences in their own way. I don't think it's fair to compare the games like for like.
100%

Just because a game's methods didn't captivate YOU doesn't mean they're a wholesale, derivative failure

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
In uncharted's case i feel those games are so paint by numbers game design between boring shooting mechanics, uninspired weapons, boring combat encounters, an over use of cinematic climbing sequences or heavily scripted action sequences. In my eyes their easily Naughty Dogs weakest output since working on Playstation
That's a matter of personal taste. Personally I'm just not really into style action games like nier, bayo, dmc for the most part. Just not for me.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
Imagine writing a long ass serious article like that about video games....and then admitting you've never played Shadow of the Colossus.....what a clown,lol.

Feb 26, 2018
wow i had no idea Uncharted 2 invented 3d animation, i mean sure its good, great even one of naughty dogs biggest strengths is their ability to animate and direct a scene. Going back to the Jak trilogy it really surprised me how strong the cinematography in those games are, but those games also have unique gameplay that give the brand an identity.

By the time Uncharted 1 & 2 had released, Gears of War had already made its gameplay feel out dated, and while the writing & animation is still good, i wouldnt say thats exclusive to Uncharted. MGS 3 has excellent directing and animation & Uncharted never made my jaw drop in terms of animation quality in the same way Ratchet & Clank a crack in time did.

I mean, my dude Television can give us a 15 hour experience where you get to follow the perspective of a main character and understand their thoughts and feelings, this TV thing is quite popular at the minute.

& like you said if we're just going to disregard context, I could also just as easilly dismiss the last of us as a generic third person shooter where you kill lots of the undead. But that kind of assessment gets us nowhere.

My point is Naughty Dog are very good at leveraging the medium of cinema in their games, to appeal to a mass market and make their points easier to digest for said audience. This doesnt make it bad art at all, the ending of TLOU left me with a very bittersweet kinda knot in my stomach which was cool, but cinema can also do that. Nuaghty Dog as artists working in the medium of video games, consistently fail to leverage the power of the video game medium in ways that only a video game can, to improve their art.

In uncharted's case i feel those games are so paint by numbers game design between boring shooting mechanics, uninspired weapons, boring combat encounters, an over use of cinematic climbing sequences or heavily scripted action sequences. In my eyes their easily Naughty Dogs weakest output since working on Playstation
So playable set pieces don't count as something only doable in videogames because what? Because Nathan Drake suddenly doesnt turn into the shooting triangle is some cyber world?
They idea that their work counts less because they are not leveraging video games in some wacky ways in a game that tries to be REALISTIC is laughable

Deleted member 17952

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine writing a long ass serious article like that about video games....and then admitting you've never played Shadow of the Colossus.....what a clown,lol.
I dislike DocSeuss' posts and I think he's the Tim Rogers of bad opinions, but I don't understand what playing Shadow of the Colossus has to do with anything. It's like saying I can't provide any opinion on games just because I've never played Super Mario Galaxy or 64.

People have different tastes. No one's taste is more valid than another's. That's why I'm more confused why his blogpost is generating this much discussion when his similarly toned posts here in Era aren't given the same level of attention.

Last edited:

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
For me its basically if i had fun i like it if i didnt i dont like it. I dont think too deep. His last of us example i find it strange. A lot of media we consume today whether games or films or books are retelling an old tale. Different characters, similar scenarios and similar last act. So do they instantly become pointless because they are telling a tale already been told? If i go around looking for just 'new' then there will be very very few options especially today. To me as long as it was fun and engaging thats great.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
undertale, gone home, and 999 are games that get to the heart of how a video game can tell a story in a way other mediums can't, and almost as proof of that concept, they don't need the world's most powerful machines to do it. it's just good design and creative problem solving. they're games made on a budget with a creator thinking critically about their resources and making the best use of them possible. they're pretty amazing.

the last of us is far less impressive in comparison. you're right to point that out. it uses the language of another medium to motivate the player along, and it doesn't really succeed at supplanting that medium's method, so it comes off as a lesser experience. but if you had to make a game with an obscene budget and had to make it a shooter with cutscenes, the last of us goes a lot further than most of its contemporaries. it's not just moments of gameplay-to-story, but all the little stuff thrown in there because the world is connected to both story-joel and player-joel. even when the player is in control, and they're not even in combat, joel still feels like the same guy that's in the story. this isn't true for a lot of other games, and even if the character is a violent psychopath in the story and gameplay, the other details in the game don't do enough to reinforce it. but naughty dog got the job done in the last of us. i think it's a really successful attempt, and i really only like three naughty dog games (jak and daxter, tlou, and uncharted 4).

I completely agree with you. I really liked The Last Of Us and I think it did some interesting stuff in the way it used what you did in the game to enhance the story. Especially how it contextualises Joel's violence as the story and not just the obligatory action part (altought it totally is that but they do something interesting with it story wise).

I think, for example, it's much more successful at doing that than God of War for example. But I also liked God Of War. I mean, I didn't blew my mind but it's a fun action game. The issue is how these games are sometimes perceived as this jump in storytelling or something when they are mostly cinematic stuff (that movies do better) with some action gameplay in between.

But I totally agree that The Last of Us at least tries (and I think it succeeds in parts) to use the fact that it's a game to enhance the story. Most of these games doesn't do that.

Nov 18, 2017
That's a matter of personal taste. Personally I'm just not really into style action games like nier, bayo, dmc for the most part. Just not for me.

Yeah thats fair, im not really big on cinematic set piece driven games. I realize im coming across as kinda harsh on TLOU, i do really like it and it still has cool moments that work because its a video game, first thing that comes to mind is the generator in the school gym, that was awesome.

I really dont rate the uncharted games though, i feel their praise is a tad over blown.

Feb 26, 2018
I dislike DocSeuss' posts and I think he's the Tim Rogers of bad opinions, but I don't understand what playing Shadow of the Colossus has to do with anything. It's like saying I can provide any opinion on games just because I've never played Super Mario Galaxy or 64.

People have different tastes. No one's taste is more valid than another's. That's why I'm more confused why his blogpost is generating this much discussion when his similarly toned posts here in Era aren't given the same level of attention.
You can have opinions all you want but acting like you are better because of it - kinda bullshit dont you agree?

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
When point that I fully agree is the whole upgrade structure AAA games now have.

I groaned when I opened the GoW menu and saw a bunch of shit to upgrade and all of that. Just, so unnecessary.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I dislike DocSeuss' posts and I think he's the Tim Rogers of bad opinions, but I don't understand what playing Shadow of the Colossus has to do with anything. It's like saying I can provide any opinion on games just because I've never played Super Mario Galaxy or 64.

It's a very hot button topic. TLOU2 coming soon, so there is the easy cherry pick comment to say that games like that are walking sim movies.

Nov 18, 2017
So playable set pieces don't count as something only doable in videogames because what? Because Nathan Drake suddenly doesnt turn into the shooting triangle is some cyber world?
They idea that their work counts less because they are not leveraging video games in some wacky ways in a game that tries to be REALISTIC is laughable

I mean, by their very nature those set pieces always have a determined start and finish, they might as well be cutscenes.

I didnt attack Uncharted because its not wacky enough, I attacked it because its boring. and i could throw out everyones least favourite buzzword here but cmon man, whats realistic about nathan drake mowing down tens of thousands of goons single handedly?

uncharted, to me atleast is just boring to play but fun to watch.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
When point that I fully agree is the whole upgrade structure AAA games now have.

I groaned when I opened the GoW menu and saw a bunch of shit to upgrade and all of that. Just, so unnecessary.
I mean it's kind of damned if you or don't there, because without those elements, then you get uncharted which is called "shallow".

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK

I don't know man....the guy is acting like he's some connoissuer of what makes gaming great and hasn't even played one of the greatest of all time....anyway,you may be right but honestly the thing reads like barely disguised fanboy drivel for the most part,lol.

Deleted member 17952

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah thats fair, im not really big on cinematic set piece driven games. I realize im coming across as kinda harsh on TLOU, i do really like it and it still has cool moments that work because its a video game, first thing that comes to mind is the generator in the school gym, that was awesome.

I really dont rate the uncharted games though, i feel their praise is a tad over blown.
Here's what Uncharted brought to the table: it allowed the player to be part of a set-piece, where it was once passively viewed from an outsiders perspective through film/TV. Sure, Uncharted probably wasn't the first one that did it, but it legitimized that style and made it mainstream. Whether you like that or not is a separate discussion, but that doesn't diminish the game's importance.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, by their very nature those set pieces always have a determined start and finish, they might as well be cutscenes.

I didnt attack Uncharted because its not wacky enough, I attacked it because its boring. and i could throw out everyones least favourite buzzword here but cmon man, whats realistic about nathan drake mowing down tens of thousands of goons single handedly?

A lot of people just find that style fun, of going through setpieces, taking cover, a lot of chaotic action and hollywood tier action shooting.

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
I lost count of how many times the guy called himself a genius in his article. I spent 8 years in college, met a lot of guys like him. He had some great points, but then he says that Crackdown 3 was one of the best video games released recently, and I just can't.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I completely agree with you. I really liked The Last Of Us and I think it did some interesting stuff in the way it used what you did in the game to enhance the story. Especially how it contextualises Joel's violence as the story and not just the obligatory action part (altought it totally is that but they do something interesting with it story wise).

I think, for example, it's much more successful at doing that than God of War for example. But I also liked God Of War. I mean, I didn't blew my mind but it's a fun action game. The issue is how these games are sometimes perceived as this jump in storytelling or something when they are mostly cinematic stuff (that movies do better) with some action gameplay in between.

But I totally agree that The Last of Us at least tries (and I think it succeeds in parts) to use the fact that it's a game to enhance the story. Most of these games doesn't do that.

Just because movies do stuff better don't mean games must not try .
Movies have been around much longer than games and games still growing tech wise.
Part of the fun of games is being in the action .

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
UnsteadyOddballAmericanriverotter-size_restricted.gif

Nov 18, 2017
Here's what Uncharted brought to the table: it allowed the player to be part of a set-piece, where it was once passively viewed from an outsiders perspective through film/TV. Sure, Uncharted probably wasn't the first one that did it, but it legitimized that style and made it mainstream. Whether you like that or not is a separate discussion, but that doesn't diminish the game's importance.

Half life did it first & half life did it better

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

Being part of the action is always more fun than watching it .
Which is why people like those crazy set pieces from many different types of games.

Feb 26, 2018

Well. Most story related stuff in videogames are scripted and have starting point and ending. By your logic you can same the same about the E ending scene in Nier. They can just make that gameplay sequence a cutscene and nothing will change.

Boring why exactly? Because you don't like tps games or because you have some legit criticism about game design of Uncharted games?

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yoko Taro has fun with our expectations of what a game is both inside & outside of the gameplay, ive only played Nier Automata so im not sure if the rest of his games are like that but in Nier we see things like:

The hud & settings interface being a diagetic part of 2B's OS.
Constantly dipping in and out of different gameplay genres and control setups.
Multiple Endings & completely different campaigns when you choose to start a new game after 'completing' it.
Being given the option to sacrifice your save to give another random player an easier time at the end game.

Y'know stuff that Books, Movies & Music cannot emulate, its all stuff that can contribute towards the mood, atmosphere and messaging of a game and Yoko Taro uses techniques that are only possible through the medium of Video Games, TLOU & Uncharted 4 dont really do anything like that, Uncharted's gameplay feels so secondary to the writing in terms of quality i genuinely think the franchise would be better served by becoming a movie and just leaving video games behind.

The bolded is something that can be done/is done in books.

I think that was already highlighted but using movie set piece and making them interactive is using the particularity of the medium. Using Ellie as a character that can help and save you in-game is also using the particularity of the medium.

Deleted member 17952

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can have opinions all you want but acting like you are better because of it - kinda bullshit dont you agree?
I don't know man....the guy is acting like he's some connoissuer of what makes gaming great and hasn't even played one of the greatest of all time....anyway,you may be right but honestly the thing reads like barely disguised fanboy drivel for the most part,lol.
I agree with you both that the guy is full of himself, I just don't think not having played SotC is something to criticize him over.

Jun 4, 2019
I appreciate the thought that goes into articles like this and I respect that game journalists, writers, etc. find ways to dig a bit deeper into a subject. But, at the end of the day, games (for me at least) are about moment-to-moment entertainment. Even in so-called "bad titles", I typically find some areas of enjoyment or things to learn from. This enjoyment comes from a medium that is its own thing–aka needs no validation or acceptance from the "mainstream".

Is the story in Uncharted 2 ridiculous? Absolutely. Did I enjoy my time with game? Absolutely.

Is The Last of Us an amalgamation of many post-apocalyptic themes we've seen many times before? Absolutely. Did I enjoy my time experiencing Joel and Ellie's story? Absolutely.

My main takeaway from this is I would appreciate a handful more AAA titles that were less "realistic" and more stylized.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017

So sections of games with determined starts and ends might as well be cutscenes? Is that better or worse than when they *are* cutscenes?

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God forbid you read any of his thoughts on FromSoftware games. He despises those the most.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
I agree with you both that the guy is full of himself, I just don't think not having played SotC is something to criticize him over.
Fair enough....but if I was gonna write a piece like this about video games I'd do it from the perspective of having a universal knowledge of the medium...and that would mean having played all the important games....like you said I guess this guy is so full of himself he thinks he can educate us all regardless.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
I don't agree with the whole of the article, but I do agree that The Last of Us absolutely prioritizes being like a movie to the point it compromises the ways in which it's like a game. It railroads the experience too much in defiance of player input, has little freedom, and doesn't have many unique ways players can tackle its challenges. You're playing less the way you want to and more the way the game is making you.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
Just because movies do stuff better don't mean games must not try .
Movies have been around much longer than games and games still growing tech wise.
Part of the fun of games is being in the action .

I don't think games should try to be movies.

I mean, if you want to do that then more power to you but I will never see a game imitating a movie and claim it's an achievement in storytelling within games.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
I stopped reading this article very early on because it read like an incoherent rant without any worthwhile insight.
And when it starts with stupid claims about what is and isn't art and how gameplay must be the core pillar of every video game, then I can't possible expect things to get any better down the line.

I understand not liking things a lot of other people like, but how insecure do you have to be to try to rationalize your taste in such a self-righteous way?

Deleted member 17952

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd never heard of him before today...won't be reading any more of his thoughts on anything,lol.
Back on Gaf he used to pop in Dark Souls threads just to say how generic he finds it and is baffled by the praise. I'm only remembering this from memory since I can't find any of his Gaf posts anymore so I could be mistaken, but IIRC he claimed that The Witcher 3 has better combat than Bloodborne. DocSeuss you can correct me if I'm wrong on this one.

Though from his recent posts he seem to have warmed up to Dark Souls.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
This article took the words out of the mouth. I agree with it 100%.
This is the reason I'm mostly drawn to indie to mid-sized games.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
Back on Gaf he used to pop in Dark Souls threads just to say how generic he finds it and is baffled by the praise. I'm only remembering this from memory since I can't find any of his Gaf posts anymore so I could be mistaken, but IIRC he claimed that The Witcher 3 has better combat than Bloodborne.

Though from his recent posts he seem to have warmed up to Dark Souls.
Ok,thanks for this....complete clown confirmed.(Of course he's entitled to his opinions....his very bad opinions,lol)

DGS

Nov 2, 2017
Tyrol
Prestige Games? Hmm, sounds like something for video game enthusiasts. With games such as The Last of Us, God of War and Uncharted also a consistently positive used term, imo. Which company doesn't want to be associated with such games? Of course, not everyone can do that, because if it would be that easy, everyone would make such games, I guess. Prestige Games. I like that term, going forward let's use it with a positive meaning.

Feb 26, 2018
The point is that games have more means of conveying story than just dumping cutscene after cutscene and linear scripted events on you that might as well just have been a B-Tier movie.
Yeah. Just how uncharted and TLOU does when they do storytelling ingame with character dialog and other environmental stuff. Did you play those games?

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Just finished reading the article. It's got quite a lot to say. And seems to be scientifically formulated to get Era mad at him lol.

I think a lot of it comes off as pretentious, but I did agree on quite a few points. AAA gaming has not really gone in a direction that resonates with me since, I dunno, probably around the tail end of the PS2 generation. The points raised about game stories being derivative of other media though, I don't really care about that. I've always taken more of a "storytelling is more important than story" kind of approach to media, where the story can be basic or derivative as shit, but give me a compelling narrative and interesting characters and I don't care. As long as the game isn't just a series of storydump cutscenes loosely connected by gameplay corridors, I'm fine with it. I can get emotionally invested in that. Most of the games he criticizes on the basis of story in the article fall under such scope. I found myself agreeing more on his criticisms of game systems and on market appeal.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
Just finished reading the article. It's got quite a lot to say. And seems to be scientifically formulated to get Era mad at him lol.

I think a lot of it comes off as pretentious, but I did agree on quite a few points. AAA gaming has not really gone in a direction that resonates with me since, I dunno, probably around the tail end of the PS2 generation. The points raised about game stories being derivative of other media though, I don't really care about that. I've always taken more of a "storytelling is more important than story" kind of approach to media, where the story can be basic or derivative as shit, but give me a compelling narrative and interesting characters and I don't care. As long as the game isn't just a series of storydump cutscenes loosely connected by gameplay corridors, I'm fine with it. I can get emotionally invested in that. Most of the games he criticizes on the basis of story in the article fall under such scope. I found myself agreeing more on his criticisms of game systems and on market appeal.

But that does describe a lot of the games he talked about?

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
If you read the blog post you'd know why he listed those 2.
It was also very long - So I skipped a lot near the end where I felt like I got the point.
I noticed now after searching that Gears 5 was mentioned near the end.

I don't feel I need to read it like an academic paper to agree with the general sentiment.

Status
Not open for further replies.