• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It does showcase some of the stealth gameplay, but the trailer feels orchestrated in a cinematic fashion - Does this represent how people will actually play the game? I'm not sure. It reminds me of FPS game demos where the player looks around the environment to oogle at pretty skyboxes, or stop to appreciate minor side-conversations from characters around the world. It's cinematic, pretty, and technically a way you can play the game - It's perfect for a press demo. It reminds me of the way the Division trailer kind of played out, sans the awful gamer speak.

Like, for example, who the fuck does this:

In a game?

Lol I spent many-a-minutes looking up and around at all the environments during my Gears 5 playthrough, taking them all in. We exist bud.

OP
OP
Proven

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It does showcase some of the stealth gameplay, but the trailer feels orchestrated in a cinematic fashion - Does this represent how people will actually play the game? I'm not sure. It reminds me of FPS game demos where the player looks around the environment to oogle at pretty skyboxes, or stop to appreciate minor side-conversations from characters around the world. It's cinematic, pretty, and technically a way you can play the game - It's perfect for a press demo. It reminds me of the way the Division trailer kind of played out, sans the awful gamer speak.

In a game?

Sony is the best in the business in presenting the game in the most cool way where enemy encounters flow together and everything goes just right. But it's almost never indicative of how a fire fight will go.

In Uncharted 4, yeah it's cool that I swing off of a vine and land on an enemy and pick up his weapon in mid air during a demo. In reality, I'm going to be running in circles while my health recharges trying to get shots off.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just because it isn't how you would play the game doesn't mean a lot of others won't play it that way. I love sneaking around and listening in to people.

In a game?

Look around at your surroundings? CONSTANTLY. Why do you think photo threads exist on here?

Sony is the best in the business in presenting the game in the most cool way where enemy encounters flow together and everything goes just right. But it's almost never indicative of how a fire fight will go.

In Uncharted 4, yeah it's cool that I swing off of a vine and land on an enemy and pick up his weapon in mid air during a demo. In reality, I'm going to be running in circles while my health recharges trying to get shots off.
But they CAN go that smoothly (not saying TLoU2, but other games). Hell, look at all of Much (??, apologies on misremembering who also puts out amazing clips) and SunhiLegend's clips.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
A long time ago, I heard that Phil Harrison, who now runs Google's Stadia, but used to run Sony's department, made the demand that for the PlayStation 3, Sony's studios needed to make 'realistic' looking games, in order to show off the 'power' of the cell processor (which was actually not as powerful as people thought; the ps3 wasn't even as powerful as its competitor, the Xbox 360, even though Sony tried very hard to convince people that it was far more capable).
What a stunningly awful article this is.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll drop the point because this is a side tangent, but even TLOU 1 trailer is like this. It shows off an idealized, cinematic version of what playing the game is supposed to feel like, but this isn't really what it looks like to play most of the game.

I think this is something that everyone does. But it feels natural for those Naughty Dog style games. There's a reason people are cool with it in TLOU, but it feels less believable in stuff like R6 Siege and Division. (Again, the bad voices don't help). The TLOU demos don't show off this core actually-best-way-to-play kind of thing and it works, because their strength is this meticulously crafted storytelling through gameplay. In a game like R6 Siege, Division, and Gears, it makes less sense to show off a game in this way. Gears 4 certainly tried it at E3 and was a snoozefest as a result.

Last edited:

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
It does showcase some of the stealth gameplay, but the trailer feels orchestrated in a cinematic fashion - Does this represent how people will actually play the game? I'm not sure.
I think you should expect this to reflect the final game in the way that the E3 2012 demo of the first game reflected the final game - in that it was pretty damn close with some things added to the demo for cinematic emphasis. It's unlikely to be a 1:1 match because not only will playthrough styles differ between players, but it was constructed in a certain way for E3.

I'll drop the point because this is a side tangent, but even TLOU 1 trailer is like this. It shows off an idealized, cinematic version of what playing the game is supposed to feel like, but this isn't really what it looks like to play most of the game.

I completely disagree. The cinematic nature of the game absolutely permates the gameplay.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

That is nonsense .
Unless you playing on some higher difficulty where you getting kill a lot .
I was able to do most of the stuff in the Uncharted 4 demos.

Oct 25, 2017

I literally did this even on my crushing playthrough....

Don't let the terrible articles bad takes infect your own.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Except that is close to how I went through the hotel. I snuck in, until someone saw me and then had to shoot and smash my way though the space.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think you should expect this to reflect the final game in the way that the E3 2012 demo of the first game reflected the final game - in that it was pretty damn close with some things added to the demo for cinematic emphasis. It's unlikely to be a 1:1 match because not only will playthrough styles differ between players, but it was constructed in a certain way for E3.

I completely disagree. The cinematic nature of the game absolutely permates the gameplay.

I agree with you, I think I didn't articulate what my original point was very well.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
It's not attacking anyone for liking or disliking anything listed,

without media literacy

It's basically in the first few lines, the rest of this blog post is just one giant rant about why people who praise "prestige" games must be either ignorant morons or weirdos seeking validation by pretending to enjoy them.

Nothing to feel attacked by for sure

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Fun fact, I actually tried to figure out why I didn't consider Odyssey and Origins, which utilize a lot of hallmarks of Sad Dad games, to be Prestige Games, and fundamentally, my takeaway was 'well, they aren't trying to be movies.' So I think that's a big part of what makes a Prestige Game a Prestige Game. They're being Ubisoft Open World Formula games, which has crossover.
I don't think that's true, especially of Origins, they just aren't done very well or structured well enough and get lost in the bloat, pretty common in massive open world games, the characters and story are very big focuses of Odyssey and Origins, to where the 1st hour or so of Origins is pretty much solely focused on Bayek and his kid, Odyssey (I really like Origins) just has way too much bloat that by the end I was completely uninterested in seeing how it plays out and the gameplay was stale by that point.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i do as much Steel Fist in my Uncharted playthroughs as possible

in most of the uncharted games, if you hurt a regular enemy even a little bit with a gun and then melee them they die insteatly

so i run and blind-fire from one guy to the next, wiping them out

in uncharted 4 if you do that while low on ammo you get a cutsom KO animation that includes picking up the guy you just killeds weapon in a slick way

saw that animation like 10 times during my last uc4 run

Hellshy

Nov 5, 2017
Is the write up claiming that the games are checking boxes off to fool people into respecting the game? By calling it a prestige game clearly lots of people admire and enjoy the game. I dont see why it would be a problem or why the devs would want to change their process.

Also what are boilerplate mechanics? Maybe it means Basic?

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just guessing here, but I'd wager that more people play uncharted for those big set pieces and characters than they do for the moment to moment gunfights. It's Naughty Dog's forte at this point - I think the TLOU2 E3 demo is proof of that at least.

Maybe. But it doesn't invalidate that people still have to enjoy what wraps around those setpieces, seeing as it's the meat of the game. And both Uncharted and TLoU have had pretty successful MP. Not on the same level as Halo or Gears, but the core PS demographic is not as MP focused as the one Microsoft cultivated throughout the years.

OP
OP
Proven

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That is nonsense .
Unless you playing on some higher difficulty where you getting kill a lot .
I was able to do most of the stuff in the Uncharted 4 demos.
I literally did this even on my crushing playthrough....

Don't let the terrible articles bad takes infect your own.

To clarify, most game demos, I'm going to focus on Sony demo's because they market them in a specific way, show case the game in a way that is very scripted and doesn't take into account the actual gameiness of the game. I'm not saying the demo is fraudulent, but basically a highlight reel boiled into a 5 minute demo.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe. But it doesn't invalidate that people still have to enjoy what wraps around those setpieces, seeing as it's the meat of the game. And both Uncharted and TLoU have had pretty successful MP. Not on the same level as Halo or Gears, but the core PS demographic is not as MP focused as the one Microsoft cultivated throughout the years.

I don't mean to invalidate anything, but I think there's a clear distinction in what the primary attraction is for audiences between both franchises, at least in terms of campaign. I purposely avoided citing MP because that's always going to be 100% combat loop focused in any game with combat - There's rarely opportunity for cinematic setpieces in those modes. Side note, I was under the impression that TLOU multi was more alive than Gears 4.

Oct 25, 2017
To clarify, most game demos, I'm going to focus on Sony demo's because they market them in a specific way, show case the game in a way that is very scripted and doesn't take into account the actual gameiness of the game. I'm not saying the demo is fraudulent, but basically a highlight reel boiled into a 5 minute demo.

But the example you used, of UC4, is precisely how the game goes. Nearly everything they showed in those demos, down to the set pieces, is how the game plays.

You cannot claim that something is not indicative of how a fire fight goes, when it actually is indicative of how a fire fight goes

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017

In a game?

It really looks like a fairly realistic way someone would approach a stealth game. You have that moment early on where they're attempting to sneak up on a guy, but don't actually check their surroundings so they don't notice that someone else is patrolling there as well. So they immediately go into a panic mode that eventually sees them running away and hiding instead of staying and fighting.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
Fun fact, I actually tried to figure out why I didn't consider Odyssey and Origins, which utilize a lot of hallmarks of Sad Dad games, to be Prestige Games, and fundamentally, my takeaway was 'well, they aren't trying to be movies.' So I think that's a big part of what makes a Prestige Game a Prestige Game. They're being Ubisoft Open World Formula games, which has crossover.
When I was reading the post, my mind immediately went to Assassin's Creed Odyssey, tbh. And while it's not trying to be a movie it definitely takes elements from other games and adapts them without thinking. The mercenary system really wants to be the nemesis system, the naval combat just brought ACIV:BF's naval but watered down, etc.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry Gundam, meant to quote you but i messed up the post lol

In a game?

I mean, people play differently. I stop and look at things, explore a whole lot, think about the environments i'm going through and love stealthing above all. I've watched streamers and LPers that bunnyhop everywhere and zerg rush every enemy and give no fucks about anything but the combat.

Believe it or not, those stage demos have more in common with how some people play than you might think.

free_bubble

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, that's basically how I feel about this type of game. I just can't get into them because I find the movie parts derivative and the gameplay parts boring. That's just me, though.

It's embarrassing how viciously the author is being attacked for writing an informal blog post that someone happened to repost. Don't let the nerd rage get you down, Doc. It was a fun piece.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a quality writeup, and I think meandering style works for the subject.

Basically, prestige games are large-budget exercises in giving their audience things that they've seen before. Usually, they're packaged well, but empty when it comes to new ideas. Doc's complaint, it seems to me, is that there is a particular variety of games that are mere repackaging of successes from other media, and that are provided accolades in return. It's a valid complaint when compared to how much the medium of games actually allows people to express.

Anyway, folks should check the article for its argument before raising their hackles over the concept. Look to see what he's calling "prestige games" before you sling accusations of elitism. Doc is no snob - the article celebrates Halo, Gears of War, and a bunch of others, and he's a big fan of Destiny, besides. Snobbery isn't the point - a complaint about repackaged media, and their celebrated reception, is.

Prestige Great post. Seeing all the focus tested gameplay mechanics in games where they don't really explore anything meaningful is a real missed opportunity for me. Like the skill tree in God of War - upgrading Atreus for new skills is fine. Its serviceable. But man, I would have loved if I could actually teach Atreus in combat by showing him certain moves, thus unlocking them for him. But these big budget games have to have familiar elements to sell more copies. Its why I find myself playing indie games more than anything nowadays.

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's basically how I feel about this type of game. I just can't get into them because I find the movie parts derivative and the gameplay parts boring. That's just me, though.

It's embarrassing how viciously the author is being attacked for writing an informal blog post that someone happened to repost. Don't let the nerd rage get you down, Doc. It was a fun piece.

I'm not down as much as I am kind of incredulous

also part of me wishes people would take my days gone article seriously because i feel like we'd actually have a really fun discussion about what makes an open world game interesting

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry Gundam, meant to quote you but i messed up the post lol

I mean, people play differently. I stop and look at things, explore a whole lot, think about the environments i'm going through and love stealthing above all. I've watched streamers and LPers that bunnyhop everywhere and zerg rush every enemy and give no fucks about anything but the combat.

Believe it or not, those stage demos have more in common with how some people play than you might think.

That's probably fair - I know someone who purposefully walks in Skyrim for immersion's sake. I also don't mean to say "no one looks at the environment". For me, it's a fine line between looking at a mountain in a demo, and looking like this:

Like, yeah, you can do that. People have done it. But in that particular way? I don't know about that.

The TLOU demos aren't this hardcore in that direction, but they're certainly closer to that side for me.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't mean to invalidate anything, but I think there's a clear distinction in what the primary attraction is for audiences between both franchises, at least in terms of campaign. I purposely avoided citing MP because that's always going to be 100% combat loop focused in any game with combat - There's rarely opportunity for cinematic setpieces in those modes. Side note, I was under the impression that TLOU multi was more alive than Gears 4.

Maybe i'm just not seeing due to my own personal bias here, as i play both series for mainly the same reasons. A fun action romp that is mostly pretty silly. That pretty much describes both series for me.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I'm just guessing here, but I'd wager that more people play uncharted for those big set pieces and characters than they do for the moment to moment gunfights. It's Naughty Dog's forte at this point - I think the TLOU2 E3 demo is proof of that at least.

Sometimes I feel like people have the wrong impression that Uncharted games are just one setpiece to the next. Maybe they stopped after Uncharted 1. The areas do have some openness to them. You can get through some areas without even firing a gun. Encounters aren't always "walk here and trigger unskippable combat arena". There's plenty of verticality so it's easy to flank enemies from so many different directions. You can lose enemies in a fight by hiding and they will go in search mode. You can run away from enemies while also blind firing behind you. You can run towards enemies while firing and then do a drop kick to finish them off. There's enough variety in the melee animations that things change relative to your position and if there is anything around you like a wall. The AI is pretty good, especially on the harder difficulties. The combat in Uncharted is good and should not be dismissed.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe i'm just not seeing due to my own personal bias here, as i play both series for mainly the same reasons. A fun action romp that is mostly pretty silly. That pretty much describes both series for me.

There's sure to be some overlap - Both games have incredibly similar base mechanics to begin with.

Sometimes I feel like people have the wrong impression that Uncharted games are just one setpiece to the next. Maybe they stopped after Uncharted 1. The areas do have some openness to them. You can get through some areas without even firing a gun. Encounters aren't always "walk here and trigger unskippable combat arena". There's plenty of verticality so it's easy to flank enemies from so many different directions. You can lose enemies in a fight by hiding and they will go in search mode. You can run away from enemies while also blind firing behind you. You can run towards enemies while firing and then do a drop kick to finish them off. There's enough variety in the melee animations that things change relative to your position and if there is anything around you like a wall. The AI is pretty good, especially on the harder difficulties. The combat in Uncharted is good and should not be dismissed.

I don't really feel like I'm dismissing it.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
So is medium.com some kind of slapdick site that hires anybody to write pieces for them? Cause this is some amateur hour shit I'm reading. Straight up false info galore, blatant fanboy wankery, a complete misunderstanding of what good narrative design in a game actually is, topped off with a complete hypocritical take at the end with the praising of Gears 5. Just wow, kinda impressed with how bad all this is.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So is medium.com some kind of slapdick site that hires anybody to write pieces for them? Cause this is some amateur hour shit I'm reading. Straight up false info galore, blatant fanboy wankery, a complete misunderstanding of what good narrative design in a game actually is, topped off with a complete hypocritical take at the end with the praising of Gears 5. Just wow, kinda impressed with how bad all this is.
It's just a blog site.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Yup, almost artful in its atrocity. Pretty much a Prestige Article, cargo cult of literary theory and narratology concepts haphazardly thrown together.
Yea, I'm really ashamed I read most of that.

I love when people critique others for not being "revolutionary" or relying on the formats set before, while literally doing the same thing with the overly generic article about how negative they are about something.

People like different things...
It's just a blog site.

Ahh gotcha. Then it's fine, he said a few times that he gets "paid to write about games", assumed it was this article.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's a blog. I don't really like the post but this is a little much.

Deleted member 15440

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
man gamers really have a shitfit if someone a bit outside the critical mainstream ever shares their opinion

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Good read. I agree that some games have been really little more than "experiences" designed to be technically interesting but not fundamentally interesting as games.

Those are indeed the games I play once, maybe complete, and never want to play again. There is value in the pure creativity and ideas the medium can come up with. I liked Last of Us, but I *loved* Hellblade. I liked Spider-man, but I *loved* Sunset Overdrive. I liked God of War, but I *loved* Control and Gears 5 and think about them daily. I kinda liked Final Fantasy XV, but Nier: Automata is still my game of the generation.

Some of these super-talented studios will be much better off when they don't feel they have to prove themselves to someone on the outside of the gaming solar system. Until then, yes, we will continue to get middling approximations of better films and entertainment.

mueske

Apr 11, 2019
Going after Uncharted 2 but then unironically praising Gears of War 2? Sure the gameplay was probably better but the story was doing the same shit trying to be a movie.
Same thing with Gears 5, like wtf? No wonder people have accused him of bias against Sony.. lmao.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
I could not care less about characters or story and I love the Uncharted games. When people decry the "set pieces" in them, they neglect to realize that said moments would either be a)cutscenes or b)poorly done in other games. A "set piece" is not a bad thing, nor is it necessarily in opposition to the concept of having gameplay.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Good read. I agree that some games have been really little more than "experiences" designed to be technically interesting but not fundamentally interesting as games.

Those are indeed the games I play once, maybe complete, and never want to play again. There is value in the pure creativity and ideas the medium can come up with. I liked Last of Us, but I *loved* Hellblade. I liked Spider-man, but I *loved* Sunset Overdrive. I liked God of War, but I *loved* Control and Gears 5 and think about them daily. I kinda liked Final Fantasy XV, but Nier: Automata is still my game of the generation.

Some of these super-talented studios will be much better off when they don't feel they have to prove themselves to someone on the outside of the gaming solar system. Until then, yes, we will continue to get middling approximations of better films and entertainment.

Why speak so objectively though, that is completely subjective and you should just stick to what you enjoy...

I liked Hellblade but LOVED Last of Us, I didn't like Sunset Overdrive and LOVED Spider-man, Control was ok but God of War is a master-piece.

That's the whole point of this medium is different experiences for different people, I just loathe when people talk so objectively, "Maybe ONE day these studios can make something good!".

Acting like this is Universal opinion that Sunset-Overdrive is better than Spider-man?

Mar 8, 2018
Going after Uncharted 2 but then unironically praising Gears of War 2? Sure the gameplay was probably better but the story was doing the same shit trying to be a movie.
Same thing with Gears 5, like wtf? No wonder people have accused him of bias against Sony.. lmao.
I have such conflicted feelings about Gears 2. It's extremely tight and polished from a gameplay standpoint. Narratively, it might be the weakest in the series, and I don't think it's particularly close. Gears 1 was clearly crafted as a game first and then they justified the world and narrative second. It worked because they kept it pretty minimal, and that game is perhaps perfectly paced. Gears 2 retains the gameplay, but because it's a sequel, the game doesn't have the luxury of creating a minimalist narrative. They want to prioritize gameplay first though. The result is a story that tries to both go big and stay pared down, and it fails on all fronts. Gears 2 tries to create emotion out of nothing and is entirely uninterested in establishing how the game world actually functions.

Status
Not open for further replies.